Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,880 members, 7,899,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 08:20 AM

Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective (1038 Views)

Bishop Matthew Kukah Diagnoses Buhari And Nigeria / Book On Biafra And Isreal (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective by ckc(m): 11:46am On Nov 11, 2015
I have never made any comments on the renewed agitations for Biafra. I want to comment on a neutral basis, not for or against. I just want to be clarified by Political gurus on the implications of the following issues I will itemize should Biafra by any chance materialize. Those who know me well, know that I am a naturally curious person that likes to imagine things before they happen.
1. Will the whole Nigerian governors in Biafran territory relinquish their posts or continue as governors in Biafra under another country's(Nigeria) party?
2. Will all Nigerian senators and house of rep members from Biafran territories be required to come "home" and continue as senators and reps?
3. All our accounts in Naira in different banks how will it be converted to Biafran money? What if you have an account in a Nigerian bank that does not have a branch in Biafra, for example, Sterling Bank has no branch in Ebonyi. Does it mean those in Ebonyi with Sterling Bank account now have domiciliary accounts in Nigeria?
4. What of Nigerian federal workers of Biafran origin, will they be required to resign and come home? What of the Nigeria federal workers working for federal government owned offices in Biafra territory( Eg a Yoruba man working in NTA Enugu or a Hausa man working in Federal Civil Service Enugu?
5. What of privately owned companies and multinationals? Will staff of say Unilever in Aba branch with their head office in Lagos become expatriate workers in the same company?
6. In terms of boundary, what if Ijaw, Ikwerre, Urhobo and Efik who have repeatedly refused that they are part of Biafra choose to remain in Nigeria, will Biafra now be like Burundi and Lesotho, two countries inside another country in South Africa. How will Nigerian map be drawn to accommodate the remaining SS parts with SE(Biafra) erased?

Waiting for political science gurus in the house to educate me and hope I am not naughty with my questions. Like I said before, I am neither for or against Biafra agitations. I just want peace in the world.... I have never made any comments on the renewed agitations for Biafra. I want to comment on a neutral basis, not for or against. I just want to be clarified by Political gurus on the implications of the following issues I will itemize should Biafra by any chance materialize. Those who know me well, know that I am a naturally curious person that likes to imagine things before they happen.
1. Will the whole Nigerian governors in Biafran territory relinquish their posts or continue as governors in Biafra under another country's(Nigeria) party?
2. Will all Nigerian senators and house of rep members from Biafran territories be required to come "home" and continue as senators and reps?
3. All our accounts in Naira in different banks how will it be converted to Biafran money? What if you have an account in a Nigerian bank that does not have a branch in Biafra, for example, Sterling Bank has no branch in Ebonyi. Does it mean those in Ebonyi with Sterling Bank account now have domiciliary accounts in Nigeria?
4. What of Nigerian federal workers of Biafran origin, will they be required to resign and come home? What of the Nigeria federal workers working for federal government owned offices in Biafra territory( Eg a Yoruba man working in NTA Enugu or a Hausa man working in Federal Civil Service Enugu?
5. What of privately owned companies and multinationals? Will staff of say Unilever in Aba branch with their head office in Lagos become expatriate workers in the same company?
6. In terms of boundary, what if Ijaw, Ikwerre, Urhobo and Efik who have repeatedly refused that they are part of Biafra choose to remain in Nigeria, will Biafra now be like Burundi and Lesotho, two countries inside another country in South Africa. How will Nigerian map be drawn to accommodate the remaining SS parts with SE(Biafra) erased?

Waiting for political science gurus in the house to educate me and hope I am not naughty with my questions. Like I said before, I am neither for or against Biafra agitations. I just want peace in the world....
Re: Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective by ckc(m): 11:51am On Nov 11, 2015
Mods please correct the heading. I meant to write "prospective"
Re: Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective by Movic1(m): 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2015
ckc:
Mods please correct the heading. I meant to write "prospective"
modify it and correct it .
Re: Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective by kingzizzy: 1:09pm On Nov 11, 2015
All these questions you asking here are quite easy to answer. Secession is not novelty. Using Czechoslovakia that split up into Czech Republic and Republic of Slovakia in 1992 as an example:

1]All the Governors, Senators and all elected officials from Biafra hold their mandate by virtue of Nigerian sovereignty. Upon the declaration of Biafra, their mandate automatically ceases to exist.

2] The elected officials are free to come home but they cannot continue in their respective positions as those positions don't exist any more. It should be noted that Biafra will not operate the unitary system of Goverment currently practiced in Nigeria. We are going back to full regionalism and true federalism or a confederation with the Niger-Delta depending on how many of them decide to pull out with Biafra. There will no Governors, senators or states in Biafra. Only provinces (Local Governments) and regions.

3] banks have a duty to safe guard people's money. In the event of Biafra, anyone with money in a bank not domiciled in Biafra will have transfer their money to a bank in Biafra. It's not difficult to do these days using inter-bank transfers, internet banking or even a simple cashiers Cheque. Biafra will print its own money which will be equal to the Nigerian Naira at first but subsequently, it will be up to the Biafran Central bank to adjust the rates.

4] Federal workers except those on contract will have to return to their countries, wether it be Nigerian or Biafran. As one side leaves, the other side comes in to take over their positions.

5] As for privately owned firms and their workers who maybe Biafrans or Nigerians, it would depend on what modalities Nigeria and Biafra agree to. There maybe some agreement where private sector workers from either country are given time to apply for work permit in either country. There maybe some sort of moratorium. But it should be noted that Biafra will immidiately apply to be a member of ECOWAS which is like to be accepted having already been a member under the banner of Nigeria and this will mean that all Biafrans and Nigerians can freely travel and live in each other's territories without the need for any sort of Visa

6] I think that it is highly unlikely that the minorities such as Ijaws,Ogonis,Efiks and so on will choose to be in Nigeria than exit with Igbos to Biafra. It makes no sense that an Ijaw man will prefare 2 majorities on his head (Yorubas and Hausas) rather than one (Igbos). However should the minorities choose to stay with Nigeria then that is their choice. Biafra already has access to the sea Via the rivers and tributuaries. But I hasten to add that if Biafra should become an "Igbo only thing" then it is only fair that all Igbos must be allowed to go and by this I mean the Igbo speaking people and Igboid. All the Delta Igbos, Etche Igbos, Omuma Igbos and Ikwere Igbos must be given a voice. You mentioned Ikwere people of Porthacourt (Iguocha). The Ikweres are Igbo speaking people with Igbo surnames. That, theoretically makes them Igbo. So they must be allowed to choose where they go

3 Likes

Re: Biafra And Nigeria: A Neutral Prospective by EternalTruths: 1:15pm On Nov 11, 2015
kingzizzy:
All these questions you asking here are quite easy to answer. Secession is not novelty. Using Czechoslovakia that split up into Czech Republic and Republic in 1992 as an example:

1]All the Governors, Senators and all elected officials from Biafra hold their mandate by virtue of Nigerian sovereignty. Upon the declaration of Biafra, their mandate automatically ceases to exist.

2] The elected officials are free to come home but they cannot continue in their respective positions as those positions don't exist any more. It should be noted that Biafra will not operate the unitary system of Goverment currently practiced in Nigeria. We are going back to full regionalism and true federalism or a confederation with the Niger-Delta depending on how many of them decide to pull out with Biafra. There will no Governors, senators or states in Biafra. Only provinces (Local Governments) and regions.

3] banks have a duty to safe guard people's money. In the event of Biafra, anyone with money in a bank not domiciled in Biafra will have transfer their money to a bank in Biafra. It's not difficult to do these days using inter-bank transfers, internet banking or even a simple cashiers Cheque. Biafra will print its own money which will be equal to the Nigerian Naira at first but subsequently, it will be up to the Biafran Central bank to adjust the rates.

4] Federal workers except those on contract will have to return to their countries, wether it be Nigerian or Biafran. As one side leaves, the other comes in to take over their positions.

5] As for privately owned firms and their workers who maybe Biafrans or Nigerians, it would depend on what modalities Nigeria and Biafra agree to. There maybe some agreement where private sector workers from either country are given time to apply for work permit in either country. There maybe some sort of moratorium. But it should be noted that Biafra will immidiately apply to be a members of ECOWAS which is like to be accepted having already been a member under the banner of Nigeria and this will mean that all Biafrans and Nigerians can freely travel and live in each other's territories without the need for any sort of Visa

6] I think that it is highly unlikely that the minorities such as Ijaws,Ogonis,Efiks and so on will choose to be in Nigeria than exit with Igbos to Biafra. It makes no sense that an Ijaw man will prefare 2 majorities on his head (Yorubas and Hausas) rather than one (Igbos). However should the minorities choose to stay with Nigeria then that is their choice. Biafra already has access to the sea Via the rivers and tributuaries. But I hasten to add that if Biafra should become an "Igbo only thing" then it is only fair that all Igbos must be allowed to go and by this I mean the Igbo speaking people and Igboid. All the Delta Igbos, Etche Igbos, Omuma Igbos and Ikwere Igbos must be given a voice. You mentioned Ikwere people of Porthacourt (Iguocha). The Ikweres are Igbo speaking people with Igbo surnames. That, theoretically makes them Igbo. So they must be allowed to choose where they go

Perfect

Epic

Dough my hat

Biafrans = The Wise Men of the East cool

(1) (Reply)

Pro & Cons Of Globalization In Africa? / Here Is Our Own Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Surrounded By Oyinbos In US / IPOB Members In Malaysia Wishing Buhari Dead (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.