Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,857 members, 7,945,740 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 04:36 AM

Petroleum Minister: Buhari Copied Babangida’s Illegality – Jide Johnson - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Petroleum Minister: Buhari Copied Babangida’s Illegality – Jide Johnson (451 Views)

Deji Adeyanju: "Buhari Copied GEJ By Wearing Army Uniform" - Presidency Replies / Buhari Copied Jonathan’s Budget – Soludo / Military Can Never Defeat Boko Haram By December – Jide Johnson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Petroleum Minister: Buhari Copied Babangida’s Illegality – Jide Johnson by slimtee101: 4:34pm On Nov 12, 2015
The decision by President Muhammadu Buhari to appoint himself as Nigeria’s Minister of Petroleum has attracted criticisms from various quarters, with many questioning its legality, as well as its morality.

Deputy Provost of the Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Mr. Jide Johnson in this exclusive interview with greennews.ng insisted that the President’s appointment of himself as Petroleum Minister was an anomaly, which was against the principle of leadership and delegation.

When asked what his take on the development was, Mr Johnson said, “I think the President needs to be the Minister of Agriculture, Defence, Finance, Works, Power as well as Education because all these Ministries require special intervention. Since the President has the midas touch to take care of the areas that are central to our political economic and social development, he should take care of those ministries.

“The President has enough on his plate. This nonsense started when Babangida colonized ministry of defence under him. It is an anomaly; it is antithetical to the principle of leadership and delegation. What is the level of education of the President? What is his technical knowhow of that Ministry? He is meant to have a cabinet made up of Ministers that will come and give him brief and he will give them direction. He has a lot of things on his plate.

“It is like you are a King over a territory and you decide to be the Governor of a particular colony and also the prince over a particular colony. We the media are not helping the matter in highlighting issues that are contrary to normal democratic and leadership ethos.

Doesn’t the law give room for him to head the Minister of Petroleum?

“It is Only in Nigeria we love titles. For instance, let me introduce the President. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome the President/Commander in Chief/ and Minister of Petroleum Resources. It’s absolutely incredulous. It is an insult on the totality of our intelligence. Are you telling me that there are no people in the Oil and Gas industry that can handle this?

“The letter of the law does not specify whether the President could be the Minister or not. What the Judiciary does is to interpret the constitution, to look at the spirit of the law. Does the constitution say that the President can appoint himself Minister?

“The President shall appoint Ministers and assign them portfolios, that’s what the constitution says. Until we begin to challenge illegality, this Democracy will not thrive.

“I think we need to take the President to court on that matter. Does he have the right to make himself a Minister? The mere fact that you are popular does not mean that every of your action would be legal. I wish Fela was alive. He would have sang a song that authority stealing pass Armed Robbery.

Re: Petroleum Minister: Buhari Copied Babangida’s Illegality – Jide Johnson by Demmocrats(m): 4:35pm On Nov 12, 2015
who the hell is Jide Johnson to fault my Sai Buhari's decisions and who gave him the guts to say such nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Petroleum Minister: Buhari Copied Babangida’s Illegality – Jide Johnson by 48noble(m): 4:40pm On Nov 12, 2015
A song sang by a fool full of noise and sound signifying nothing.

(1) (Reply)

PDP Chiefs Slams APC, Buhari At Conference To Rebuild Party / Imo Contractors To Okorocha: Pay Us Our Money / You Won’t Believe How Kayode Ogundamisi Mocked The Death Of DSP Alamieyeseigha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.