Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,949 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:47 AM

South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors (11520 Views)

Aisha Buhari Unveils LNG-ABUJA11 Vessel In South Korea(pics) / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term / Sagamite's Analysis Of State Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 2:29pm On May 19, 2009
JJYOU:

[size=38pt]mishonu[/size] you hear.

unlike some of you arm chair NL opinionist some of us have travelled and know nigeria apart from our villages and state capitals.  last time i was in onitsha was less than 2yrs.

what  is your point?  it has developed more than ibadan.

maybe you can ask your uncles or boss.  go get the trading figures of both places. you sell clothes, electronics, spare parts, building materials or whatever you think it is only pure water and ogi they sell in ibadan.  go sit down jo.

So you think i have not travelled around nigeria Remeber you said business community.I will even understand if you are talking about kano.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Kobojunkie: 2:55pm On May 19, 2009
I seriously doubt Fashola will have the same problem. Lagos is in dire need of development and facilities. Now, if we were directing this at the activities of the FG in Abuja, then that would make more sense. The 10 lane highway project comes to mind.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by moneygurl: 2:59pm On May 19, 2009
honestly, Ogun state has not business constructing a passanger or cargo airport. Lagos is just next door and the airport in Ibadan is hardly used. People still travel form Oyo to lagos airport for local and international flights.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 3:06pm On May 19, 2009
moneygurl:

honestly, Ogun state has not business constructing a passanger or cargo airport. Lagos is just next door and the airport in Ibadan is hardly used. People still travel form Oyo to lagos airport for local and international flights.
let every local govt have air port it is called development. china and korea do it you hear.

asha 80:

So you think i have not travelled around nigeria Remeber you said business community.I will even understand if you are talking about kano.
tell me what makes ibadan smaller economy than kano pls.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On May 19, 2009
moneygurl:

I disagree!!
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by moneygurl: 3:11pm On May 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I disagree!!

and @ JJYOU

Why? is it not better for them to have a rail system that connects ogun state city center to lagos airport or/and Ibadan ?
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 3:13pm On May 19, 2009
JJYOU:

let every local govt have air port it is called development. china and korea do it you hear.
tell me what makes ibadan smaller economy than kano pls.

Have you been to kano before?
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 3:17pm On May 19, 2009
asha 80:

Have you been to kano before?
forget me for one minute and just answer the simple question. there are others reading the thread besides me and you.

so go on and educate the people on what make onitsha economy bigger than ibadan and that of kano. thanks
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by debosky(m): 3:22pm On May 19, 2009
Dis Guy:

Gombe INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT that was completed last year is ONLY used during the HAJJ pilgrims and when the president is coming to inspect or
visit the families of dead emirs or statesmen!

Nothing wrong in building airports but MOST Airports in Nigeria are built using government money instead of private funds,
its very obvious not private investor will build in some of these states with very little demand, the governors should build school
and hospitals instead or invest in agriculture!!!

You capture my fears succinctly. I am not against building airports per se, only against WASTEFUL expenditure on facilities that will likely never be used.

We might need more airport capacity in Nigeria (not necessarily more airports) but we are definitely not allocating such resources in an efficient manner.

Building airports have become 'prestige' projects to show your state has 'arrived' and not necessarily linked to developmental needs.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 3:29pm On May 19, 2009
JJYOU:

forget me for one minute and just answer the simple question. there are others reading the thread besides me and you.

so go on and educate the people on what make onitsha economy bigger than ibadan and that of kano. thanks

Is the volume of trade or money exchanging hands bigger in geographical ibadan than geographical onitsha?We are not talking about infrastructure here
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by JJYOU: 3:48pm On May 19, 2009
asha 80:

Is the volume of trade or money exchanging hands bigger in geographical ibadan than geographical onitsha?We are not talking about infrastructure here
i give up on you. you wont answer a simple question. keep deluding your self that you have half naija economy in your onitsha. i know onitsha from way back 80's you cant convince me trade or no trade it has a bigger economy than ibadan. even if ibadan was trading on only pure water and and ogi.

if you have access to any one in the know they will tell you that cbn has a sectoral breakdown of the economy state by state monthly. i know you will tell me there is volume cash trading outside the banking sector in onitsha. would that law apply in ibadan? stop saying things you dont know. i dont understand why some of you think you know everything. that is how you all ruined that blessed land.

if you have 300 x 300 in your village they can drop a little aerodrome there cos you all need it you know.

have a good day
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 3:55pm On May 19, 2009
JJYOU:

i give up on you. you wont answer a simple question. keep deluding your self that you have half naija economy in your onitsha. i know onitsha from way back 80's you cant convince me trade or no trade it has a bigger economy than ibadan. even if ibadan was trading on only pure water and and ogi.

if you have access to any one in the know they will tell you that cbn has a sectoral breakdown of the economy state by state monthly. i know you will tell me there is volume cash trading outside the banking sector in onitsha. would that law apply in ibadan? stop saying things you dont know. i dont understand why some of you think you know everything. that is how you all ruined that blessed land.

if you have 300 x 300 in your village they can drop a little aerodrome there cos you all need it you know.

have a good day

Where did i say that half of the nigerian economy is in onitsha  Are you mistaking me for nuzo?You are the person living in self delusion.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by mustafar1: 4:50pm On May 19, 2009
soon every state in nigeria that has contact with a river or ocean would want to have a port as well.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 4:53pm On May 19, 2009
and whats wrong if that is so? You probably like the port congestion in Lagos as it is!
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by mustafar1: 4:58pm On May 19, 2009
i dont love the port congestion anywhere. but i dont want an sparcely utilized port either.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On May 19, 2009
So there are really people out there who do not mind an empty / under-used 400 million dollar airport/ port/ 10-lane highway etc? undecided
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by asha80(m): 5:04pm On May 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So there are really people out there who do not mind an [b]empty / under-used 400 million dollar airport/[/b] port/ 10-lane highway etc? undecided

Go to katsina and taraba.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 5:11pm On May 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

So there are really people out there who do not mind an empty / under-used 400 million dollar airport/ port/ 10-lane highway etc?  undecided

Example?
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 5:15pm On May 19, 2009
asha 80:

Go to katsina and taraba.

Go to Abuja Airport and see the time table of flights to these airports that u think are empty.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by debosky(m): 5:36pm On May 19, 2009
The airport mentioned in the original article is utilising less than 3% of it's capacity. That is effectively empty - it is not until only mosquitoes and tse tse flies are landing there that it will be regarded as empty. grin
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 5:57pm On May 19, 2009
where is your statistics from?
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by debosky(m): 6:02pm On May 19, 2009
tosh_acer:

where is your statistics from?

Go to the first page and READ. It is not rocket science. Further statistics

21 airports are being funded by government and out of those 21, only six are financially viable, yet we have to maintain all 21. - House of Reps Committee on Aviation

See www.vanguardngr.com/content/view/25131/49/+Nigerian+airports+viable&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a">LINK
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by mustafar1: 6:34pm On May 19, 2009
funny thread this.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by KnowAll(m): 7:05pm On May 19, 2009
Ibadan, Akure, Benin, Warri, and Ilorin airports were not viable in the past. But of recent Ibadan and all these other towns airport has a new lease of life.

Because the Federal Capital has been moved to Abuja which is a good 450 miles from Ibadan, it has become necessary for people to take a flight to Abuja rather than travel on those precarious roads in Nigeria. When the seat of goverment was in Lagos it does not make sense taking a flight from Ibadan to Lagos. Having said that, the Ibadan - Abuja route seems to be the only viable route. Same goes for Akure and Ilorin. Benin and Warri due to other factors there have been an increase of flights from lagos to Benin and Warri because of the deplorable state of the Ore - Benin expressway. Obviously the Benin - Abuja route is also viable so is the Warri - Abuja route. Abuja has become a magnet and a hub not only in Nigeria but also in Africa.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by toshacer: 7:08pm On May 19, 2009
KnowAll:

Ibadan, Akure, Benin, Warri, and Ilorin airports were not viable in the past. But of recent Ibadan and all these other towns airport has a new lease of life.

Because the Federal Capital has been moved to Abuja which is a good 450 miles from Ibadan, it has become necessary for people to take a flight to Abuja rather than travel on those precarious roads in Nigeria. When the seat of goverment was in Lagos it does not make sense taking a flight from Ibadan to Lagos. Having said that,  the Ibadan - Abuja route seems to be the only viable route. Same goes for Akure and Ilorin. Benin and Warri due to other factors there have been an increase of flights from lagos to Benin and Warri because of the deplorable state of the Ore - Benin expressway. Obviously the Benin - Abuja route is also viable so is the Warri - Abuja route. Abuja has become a magnet and a hub not only in Nigeria but also in Africa.

You are right - The Benin Airport is also viable because people travelling to Asaba find it easier jetting to Benin and then doing the rest by road to asaba - I have done this b4.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by AloyEmeka9: 8:05pm On May 19, 2009
Go to the first page and READ. It is not rocket science. Further statistics

21 airports are being funded by government and out of those 21, only six are financially viable, yet we have to maintain all 21. - House of Reps Committee on Aviation

See LINK
It's true. There was a story of one airport in the middlebelt that  gets used only when senior govt officials are coming into town besides that, it lies fallow. The economy of a city/zone contributes to the usage too. Nigeria looks big[land mass] when you compare it by tribes but relatively, it's small. I think one airport in every geo political zone should be enough as long as the connecting roads are okay.

honestly, Ogun state has not business constructing a passanger or cargo airport. Lagos is just next door and the airport in Ibadan is hardly used. People  still travel form Oyo to lagos airport for local and international flights.

Exactly. A 4 lane freeway will assure motorists a 30 minute drive from Ibadan to lagos at 120km/hr, how much less Abeokuta.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Kobojunkie: 8:32pm On May 19, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Exactly. A 4 lane freeway will assure motorists a 30 minute drive from Ibadan to lagos at 120km/hr, how much less Abeokuta.

If you have ever been in Abeokuta, you would think twice before making that comment. lol 120 Km/hr? And we blame the roads for all the accidents. A 4 lane freeway, plus 2 lane express lanes have yet to make commute to and fro downtown chicago during the day that short, talk less on abeokuta to Lagos with all the crazy drivers and the noise!! lol
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by walakolobo: 8:36pm On May 19, 2009
must_a_far:

funny thread this.

No one is laughing.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by AloyEmeka9: 9:02pm On May 19, 2009
If you have ever been in Abeokuta, you would think twice before making that comment. lol 120 Km/hr? And we blame the roads for all the accidents. A 4 lane freeway, plus 2 lane express lanes have yet to make commute to and fro downtown chicago during the day that short, talk less on abeokuta to Lagos with all the crazy drivers and the noise!! lol

You cannot compare the [b]number [/b]of vehicles in Chicago to the ones in the whole Western Nigeria alone how much less Lagos and abeokuta. 120km/hr is equivalent to 80miles abi?. How many people drive private cars in Nigeria?. Those causeways and freeways in Chicago alone can swallow the Lagos traffic in a minute. It's not too much speed if the vehicle and the road are sound.

Causes of accidents in Nigeria includes:

Poor road conditions: bad roads, single lane roads used as highways, many are not demarcated with a line; many accidents that occur from overtaking can be avoided with multiple lanes.

Abandoned vehicles/Poorly maintained vehicles: It decreases the drivers clarity and many run into stationary vehicles especially at night. My cousin died that way in 2004 at ojodu because he ran into a trailer parked bluntly by the road. If the govt can enforce towing for all these abandoned vehicles, road mishaps will be reduced by a big margin.

Overloading: we carry too much weight in commercial vehicles thereby exceeding the capacity. Some park human beings on top of a load on onions or tomatoes in a lorry. The lorry falls at will. Coca cola trucks have contributed their fair share of road mishaps in Nigeria and the govt is not doing anything to caution them. Just last week, one fell at Ikeja here killing about 5 people, will that happen in their native country, America without legal consequences on coca cola?

Drivers: Many commercial and private drivers in Nigeria are intoxicated.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Jairzinho(m): 9:35pm On May 19, 2009
debosky:

With the current craze to build airports by State governments (Kwara, Ogun, Akwa Ibom amongst others) this article will serve as a timely warning. If a near-developed country like South Korea can make these mistakes, we are clearly not immune.

Correction,south Korea is now considered a DEVELOPED country.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by bawomolo(m): 9:44pm On May 19, 2009
80 miles per hr is a disaster waiting to happen considering we don't have the fast highways like ones in Germany nor proper drivers education.
Re: South Korea's Abandoned Airports: A Warning To Nigerian State Governors by Kobojunkie: 9:54pm On May 19, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

You cannot compare the [b]number [/b]of vehicles in Chicago to the ones in the whole Western Nigeria alone how much less Lagos and abeokuta. 120km/hr is equivalent to 80miles abi?. How many people drive private cars in Nigeria?. Those causeways and freeways in Chicago alone can swallow the Lagos traffic in a minute. It's not too much speed if the vehicle and the road are sound.

1) I, nowhere in my post compare the number of cars. I simply pointed out that if 6 lanes has not been enough to shorten the commute time in Chicago, wetin make you think say e go perform magic for Abeokuta/Lagos road with all the wuruwuru man dey deal with every day on those roads aside from the state of the roads themselves.
2) About the freeways swallowing up lagos traffic, I say you check them out first before you state what you think. Those roads could be cleared in minutes if only people drove a bit faster in most cases. I have been caught in one of those way too often to know that the problem is most times slow and annoying drivers out there all out to make the next man’s life miserable cause theirs may be. Lol

Aloy.Emeka:

Causes of accidents in Nigeria includes:

Poor road conditions: bad roads, single lane roads used as highways, many are not demarcated with a line; many accidents that occur from overtaking can be avoided with multiple lanes.

What has demarcating roads to do with overtaking? You mean say people no dey over take on demarcated roads? Lol

Aloy.Emeka:

Abandoned vehicles/Poorly maintained vehicles: It decreases the drivers clarity and many run into stationary vehicles especially at night. My cousin died that way in 2004 at ojodu because he ran into a trailer parked bluntly by the road. If the govt can enforce towing for all these abandoned vehicles, road mishaps will be reduced by a big margin.

Overloading: we carry too much weight in commercial vehicles thereby exceeding the capacity. Some park human beings on top of a load on onions or tomatoes in a lorry. The lorry falls at will. Coca cola trucks have contributed their fair share of road mishaps in Nigeria and the govt is not doing anything to caution them. Just last week, one fell at Ikeja here killing about 5 people, will that happen in their native country, America without legal consequences on coca cola?

Drivers: Many commercial and private drivers in Nigeria are intoxicated.

Definitely, there are so many reasons for accidents as you have mentioned but wider roads/more lanes is not necessarily a SOLVE ALL.

Thanks God every day for the Train!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Illegal Fuel Subsidy Payment: Opposition Youths Tackle Buhari / Restructuring Comment: Southern, Middle Belt Forum, Others Tackle Buhari / 5575 APC Members Join PDP In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.