Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,279 members, 7,881,045 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:28 AM

Breaking News:nigeria To Finally Declare Power Emergency Next Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News:nigeria To Finally Declare Power Emergency Next Month (655 Views)

Shock As Buhari, Osinbajo Finally Declare Billions In Assets / Buhari Has Finally Declare War Against South South / FG To Finally Liquidate PHCN With Imminent Declaration Of TEM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News:nigeria To Finally Declare Power Emergency Next Month by OneNaija(m): 12:24am On May 21, 2009
Lagos, Nigeria (PANA) Nigeria's President Umaru Yar'Adua has said he will declare a state of emergency in the country's epileptic power sector next month, fulfilling a key campaign promise aimed at solving the nation's perennial power problem.

"When the emergency is declared, any national resource, belonging to anybody, required to meet the target of production will be used and any previous agreement that may hinder its implementation will be set aside," the President said in an in terview with the leading local Guardian newspaper, highlights of which were published on Monday.

"I am taking this step to assure Nigerians. I would not contemplate taking this drastic measure: power emergency, if not to assure our people that we will meet the target. So, I am aware that these measures are drastic but I am taking them in the interest of the nation to override every other personal interest," he said.

During his electioneering campaign in 2007, Yar'Adua of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had pledged to declared a state of emergency if he won the presidential election. But almost two years on, the President has yet to fulfil his campaign pledge.

The immediate target of the power emergency is to raise the country's power generation from less than 3,000 Mega Watts currently to 6,000MW by the end of this year.

Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation, needs at least 10,000mw to get some level of stability in its power sector.
Re: Breaking News:nigeria To Finally Declare Power Emergency Next Month by Nobody: 12:30am On May 21, 2009
after 2 years in office . . . . . . so much for emergency

lets see if our energy problem will solves itself after the declaration

I think the President is just looking for fake results in the run-up to 2011

The administration will be judged on whether people are recieving steady electricity supply not the number of Government white paper on Energy or number of media declaration.

(1) (Reply)

Abia State Masses In Trouble. The Masses Cry But Are Intimidated. / Why Is It That E'one Is Condemning British Mps But Nigerians Are Defending Them? / Nigeria Again On Us News Hour Radar - Video Attached

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.