Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,871 members, 7,889,914 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:29 AM

What Is Software - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Is Software (751 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Software by Vicotex2: 6:43pm On Nov 22, 2015
What is Software?

Software is a collection of programs developed to perform a specific task. And program is a set of instructions written in a particular format in which the computer can understand.
There are system software and application software.

System Software

System software, also known as Disk Operating System is the program which coordinates and controls all basic operations on the computer. It is actually the interface between the hardware and the software. It onlt controls all input and output but also manages the processing of application programs, transfers data to and from disks and handles all printer and keyboard functions.

Without the OS(Operating System) you would have to know all the technical commands/codes required to control and operate the equipment of the computer system. Just as one does not need to know the technical aspects of how car engine works in order to drive, thanks to the OS, we do not need to know the technical aspect how the Hardware works in order to use the computer.
All other programs must first go through the OS in order to access the hardware. When the computer is first turned on, the BIOS(Basic Input Output System) program checks the status of the system and then the checks the disk drives to see whether or not an OS exists.
If an OS is located, it is loaded in RAM and after which the OS takes control of the computer system.

Without the OS, the computer would be worthless. After the system check the OS is the first program executed and is the last program to quit when the computer is turned off. The Application programs are dependent on the OS program.....
Continue reading at http://www.okesblog.byethost3.com/pc/introduction-to-software/

1 Like

Re: What Is Software by Xenisha: 4:22pm On Aug 23, 2022
Good day. If you like to listen to good music, then you will definitely like the Napster music streaming service. They provide an opportunity to listen to both online and offline more than 110 million songs for their subscribers. As napster customer service told me, their service is completely legal, and it can be used without violating the rights of performers and copyright holders.
Re: What Is Software by Monatyk(m): 3:43pm On Oct 07, 2022
Hello, a lot of us are now taking advantage of the growing need for businesses that assist in the creation of the programs I need. Personally, I thought working with qit software was great because ordering was easy and quick, and I especially loved how responsive the manager was to my needs. Therefore, I suggest this company if you're looking for outstaff.
Re: What Is Software by Frimen: 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2023
You know, it is necessary for everyone to know about digital services because they are an integral part of our lives. In addition, I just recently decided to visit this Web Paranoid, and it also helped me to learn more about this area. The entire service takes place online and helps beginners and experienced users and engineers with the development. That's really cool.

(1) (Reply)

How To Build A Café In Nigeria / Help My PC Has Been Diagnosing Since / Universal Modem, Repairable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.