Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,829 members, 7,872,784 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:51 PM

Photos From The 2015 Feast Of Christ The King Procession In Onitsha, Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Photos From The 2015 Feast Of Christ The King Procession In Onitsha, Nigeria (980 Views)

Police Storm Celestial Church Of Christ In New York As Members Fight (Pics, Vide / Lady Sent Away From Church In Onitsha For Wearing This Dress (Photos) / Reverend Father Dances With Masquerade At St Paul's Feast In Anambra (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Photos From The 2015 Feast Of Christ The King Procession In Onitsha, Nigeria by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 25, 2015
Christ the King Sunday celebrates the all-embracing authority of Christ as King and Lord of the cosmos. Officially called the Feast of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King, or Feast of Corpus Christi, was instituted by Pope Puis XI in 1925. It is celebrated on the final Sunday of Ordinary Time, the Sunday before Advent.

The Feast of Christ The King fell on November 22 in 2015. I went around the City of Onitsha so see how devout Catholics are carrying out the ritual. Here are my observations.

Just as it had been in the previous years, there were traffic gridlocks in various parts of the city. This is due to the fact that religious faithfuls in there thousands do rally along the major road, thereby obstructing free flow of traffic. I remember when the feast of Christ The King was celebrated in Lagos, Last year. I almost missed an important event if not for the expertize of the Danfo Drivers in manipulating traffics.

There were the issue of air pollution as dust, burnt incense and smoke filled the air. However, the health risk wasn’t the concern of most people.

As soon as the priest stops and rotates the Monstrance (Blessed Sacrament) in a Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise manner, People are seen chanting “Igwe!”, Some kneel down, others wave their hands, some female children specially selected wearing the attire of a little bride sprays flowers on The Monstrance. Youths are igniting their fire crackers and bangers. Joyful noise fill the arena.

I also observed that some people didn’t come to say “Igwe”, “Kabiyesi” or whatever. I mean the class of people that came for a ‘Turn Down For What’ event. They had their eyes on the classiest chic in the procession. I tell you, they were in their abundance dancing Kukere for ‘Christ’ and Azonto ‘Jesus’. These set of guys had their snapbacks tilted to the rear, and gold chains on fleek, that you might be left to wonder if wearing caps during worship is now allowed in the catholic dogma.

The event also featured catholic hymns, children songs and songs with traditional musical instruments. It was generally a good event. Here are some pics I took during the procession.
http://starttells.com/2015/11/22/photos-from-todays-feast-of-christ-the-king-procession-in-onitsha-nigeria/

Re: Photos From The 2015 Feast Of Christ The King Procession In Onitsha, Nigeria by Geestarry(f): 10:21am On Nov 25, 2015
Post the pix here now
Re: Photos From The 2015 Feast Of Christ The King Procession In Onitsha, Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30am On Nov 25, 2015
Geestarry:
Post the pix here now
quite more on the link abovementioned. NL allows only four slots.

(1) (Reply)

From Christianity To Atheism, My Explanation / Apostle Suleman Gets Invitation To White House / Pls Who Has Easy Worship 6.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.