Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,606 members, 7,937,731 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 11:10 AM

8 Million Nigerians May Die Of Tobacco Smoking By 2030, NGO Raises Alarm - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 8 Million Nigerians May Die Of Tobacco Smoking By 2030, NGO Raises Alarm (535 Views)

250 People Die Of Snake Bite In Plateau And Gombe Due To Scarcity Of Anti-Venom / My Sister May Die Soon, I Am Sad / I May Die Before My 28th Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

8 Million Nigerians May Die Of Tobacco Smoking By 2030, NGO Raises Alarm by SignalNG1(m): 3:03pm On Nov 27, 2015
A non-governmental organization (NGO), the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre (CISLAC) has said that if measures are not urgently put in place to halt the rate of tobacco smoking, about eight million people are estimated to be at risk of loosing their lives by the year 2030.

CISLAC, therefore called on the media to as a matter of national importance create awareness on the Act controlling the use of tobacco product in the country, adding that despite the proven negative impact of tobacco product on users, most Nigerians are not aware of the existence of the Act meant to control the usage.

Speaking at a one day workshop for the media towards supporting effective tobacco control in Nigeria with support from African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) in Abuja, the Senior Programme Officer, CISLAC, Okeke Anya, called on the media to create awareness for the Act.

The Act, assented to by former President Goodluck Jonathan on May 26, 2015, is an offshoot of the World Health Organisation Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO-FCTC).

According to him, about 178 countries have signed on to the convention while some countries need to domesticate it before becoming a law in their countries just as some others need not to.

Read more: http://www.signalng.com/8-million-nigerians-may-die-of-tobacco-smoking-by-2030-ngo-raises-alarm/

(1) (Reply)

Health Benefit Of Drinking Coconut Water / Photo: Warrisdis, Hunter Killed A Deformed Lion. / Is It Medically Possible To Live An Absolutely Sickness-free Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.