Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,297 members, 7,900,639 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 02:41 PM

Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC (922 Views)

Buhari Sacks Jim Obazee, Orders Reconstitution Of FRC Board / FG Aims To Attack RCCG, Church Leaders With FRC Law —Fayose (Nigerians React) / Housemaid And, Artisans To Pay Taxes In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:00pm On Nov 27, 2015
The Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria on Thursday said that non-charitable institutions owned by religious bodies would need to pay taxes because they were commercial ventures.

The Chief Executive Officer, FRC, Mr. Jim Obazee, said this while speaking on the theme, ‘Corporate governance: Essential ingredient for national development,’ at the 19th annual public lecture of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management in Lagos.

Obazee explained that because the religious institutions were dealing with public funds, it had become necessary for them to prepare financial accounts.

“If you (a religious institution) want to set up a school, the school should be free for all your members’ children. If you charge any money, you will make those who have schools outside not to pay taxes to the government because you are engaging in non-charitable activity within charity,” he said.

He noted that the religious bodies that were finding it hard to comply with the preparation of their accounts in Nigeria had no problems doing it abroad.

While speaking on the importance of corporate governance, Obazee said, “The governance framework adopted by an organisation is influenced by factors such as regulation, market norms and expectation.”

He explained that where public funds were involved, it was advantageous to demand the adoption of certain governance practices.

The FRC boss added, “If you are keeping people’s money, then you have to prepare accounts. That is why churches fought me badly; they took me as a person and my office to court. But the last day that the court called, neither their lawyers nor the churches attended.”

http://punchng.com/religious-bodies-ventures-must-pay-taxes-frc/
Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by macof(m): 7:12pm On Nov 27, 2015
Churches should pay tax cus they are simply business ventures. . This country is just messed up big time

3 Likes

Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by Nobody: 7:14pm On Nov 27, 2015
Thank You Lucifer.
Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by seunmsg(m): 7:31pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nigeria's tax law does not exempt churches that engages in commercial activities from paying taxes. What we need is to fully implement the existing laws.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by babyfaceafrica: 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by porshuch: 7:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
Yes o! Supported.

2 Likes

Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2015
macof:
Churches should pay tax cus they are simply business ventures. . This country is just messed up big time
How can you tax God's money? angry angry angry
May God punish you there.
How will my pastor wear fine suit? How will my pastor fly private jet? God wants my pastor to look good, the fullness of the earth belongs to the righteous. If I want to look good, I must bless the man upon whom he has bestowed his countenance.

You might call me a zombie, but is it your money? Did God give it to you? Don't go and find job. Be there calculating another man's money....

Thank You Lucifer, for giving me brains that I may use them.
Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by captainflash(m): 7:47pm On Nov 27, 2015
Some so called chruches of nowadays are business center, ......and their so called pastor's are using it as an advantage to gain money for themselves, so they must pay their tax
weather they like it or not...

cry

1 Like

Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by macof(m): 7:51pm On Nov 27, 2015
sonOfLucifer:

How can you tax God's money? angry angry angry
May God punish you there.
How will my pastor wear fine suit? How will my pastor fly private jet? God wants my pastor to look good, the fullness of the earth belongs to the righteous. If I want to look good, I must bless the man upon whom he has bestowed his countenance.

You might call me a zombie, but is it your money? Did God give it to you? Don't go and find job. Be there calculating another man's money....

Thank You Lucifer, for giving me brains that I may use them.

grin grin grin typically pastor's puppet response
Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by springer: 8:13pm On Nov 27, 2015
.....because the religious institutions were dealing with public funds, it had become necessary for them to prepare financial accounts... It seems there is SENSE in non-SENSE! Public fund is a fund in Trust!
Re: Religious Bodies’ Ventures Must Pay Taxes —FRC by theV0ice: 8:16pm On Nov 27, 2015
I'm 100% in support.

Weldone Mr Jim Obazee

(1) (Reply)

This Picture Got To The Deepest Part Of My Heart / Arms Deal: I Acted In The Favour Of Nigeria - Okonjo / El-Zakzaky Followers Hack Lagos State Govt Website,Slam Nigeria 4 Kiling Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.