Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,512 members, 7,971,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 06:41 PM

Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" (10632 Views)

Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 8:03pm On May 28, 2009
Pres,i hope u got what i wrote
Those women break kolanut when there is no titled male around.
your yarning abt women from Osha not breaking cola at Ogidi and Nkpor is just so so out of question. . .do visitors break kola ? shocked there is no where in Igboland where a visitor breaks kola so i dont get that ur "not breaking kola in Ogidi "line.The only exceptions are Arochukwu and Nri peeps,they can break the kola anywhere even as a visitor.
Are u sure the youngest dont break Kola in the whole of Imo state?u might want to confirm from ppl from some parts of Isu Njaba and Oru west.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ezeagu(m): 9:56pm On May 28, 2009
stillwater:

Pele you thought wrong again. grin grin

Aww, I guess I should "bite" you then? , but Where? grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Ifygurl: 10:55pm On May 28, 2009
"Cha cha cha igbo kwenu"

Kill me why don't you? Why shouldn't the women say it too, wetin go happen? Water turn to blood?
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Ifygurl: 10:58pm On May 28, 2009
presido1:

Ify and nwa-uwa those women can break cola only when they are in the mist of onitcha people. She cannot break that colanut in Nnewi or Obosi but a man from Nnewi can break colanut in Onitcha. Did u guys spot the diff. Itz not Igbo tradition for a woman to break colanut.

Ify the youngest don't break the cola in Imo(Orlu in Particular). Its done by the eldest but the eldest can give it to any one to break after blessing it.(Oku agunyere nwata na aka anaghi ahu ya)

As par eating the gizzard when we travel to my village, any gizzard from the fowl goes to my Dad's uncle unless hez not in town then my old boy arrange the stuff. First daughter eats the hip(Ukwu) then mum and we go arrange the other part as we wish. During exmas or Easther when everybody is ahome any ntata they kill in ma martanal home comes to our house direct.

that's a sexiest tradition. Igbo women should be allowed to break kolanut too. You know what, i'll break a kolanut the next time my family does anything. I want to see what will happen. Wetin be this, igbo women can't say cha cha cha igbo kwenu and we can't break kolanut. That's wrong.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by chiogo(f): 11:03pm On May 28, 2009
LOOL, nairaland and lies but anyway who cares? I'll say it if I want to. Right now, I don't. tongue

About the gizzard thing, my mother used to cook gizzards a lot at home, trust me she's a traditional woman. where did y'all get that from?

Anywayz, gizzards were never my thing, they make me nauseous when I eat them.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by presido1: 12:22am On May 29, 2009
ifyalways:

your yarning abt women from Osha not breaking cola at Ogidi and Nkpor is just so so out of question. . .do visitors break kola ? shocked there is no where in Igboland where a visitor breaks kola so i dont get that ur "not breaking kola in Ogidi "line.
Visitors breaks cola, Lets take it this way. I visited somebody that is younger than me. When he brings out the cola he will give it to me as the elder, If i like i will bless and break the cola but to show him some respect i can touch the cola and hand it back to him with the saying(Oji eze no eze na aka).

ifyalways:

Are u sure the youngest dont break Kola in the whole of Imo state?u might want to confirm from ppl from some parts of Isu Njaba and Oru west.
It depends on what you by breaking the cola. After blessing it by the elder he can hand it over to the youngest to break them and share to visitors. In this case he just an errand boy. Itz never his traditional rite to bless and break it when the elders are around.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ChinenyeN(m): 12:39am On May 29, 2009
People need to quit complaining. Oji is not given to just anyone to break or bless (be it male, female, man, woman, child, girl, boy, whatever). So, I believe that all this complaining about women not being allowed to break Oji is unfounded.

As for shouting "Igbo Kwenu", I don't see a reason why women ought to shout it. I'm Ngwa, and even in our Ngwa meetings, I have yet to hear anyone (male or female) shout "Kwenu!". The farthest they go is "Nde ke anyi ndeewo nu", or, "Nde ke anyi, Ria nu! Nńuo nu! Muo nu! Baa nu! Ndeewo nu!" , but never "Kwenu!". So I don't see the problem there.  

I honestly feel that if anyone is complaining, then they're making the whole thing out to be something more that what it is. . .
giving his/herself unnecessary wahala. . .
Just my humble opinion.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 1:47am On May 29, 2009
In my culture the older man is given the kola and he says all that "onye wetara oji wetara ndu"
" k'anyi tara ahu isi ike n'ogologu ndu" and all the other echetala m echetala m they say and after that the youngest man in the gathering is called upon to break the kola and pass it around,.
are you people sure you're not from Ijebu Igbo grin
I've never seen older men doing the actual cutting of the kola to pieces even in Igbo gatherings outside of my area
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 1:53am On May 29, 2009
Oh I found this on the web
The Kola is either broken by the oldest or youngest depending on which area of Igboland.

Oji (Kola)
"Ndi b'anyi ndeewo nu oo!, Onye wetara oji, wetara ndu, "

The Igbo's are rich in customs and traditions. One such important custom is Oji, the Kola Nut. In Igboland much importance is attached to kola nuts. It plays a very important social and ritual role in Igbo society. It is widely said and believed that "He who brings kola brings life". If an Igbo man visits a fellow Igbo, he does not feel he is a welcome visitor until his host has offered him kola. Kola nut is always offered whether or not the host knew the guests were coming in advance.

The Kola nut(Cola Nut) - biological name - " Sterculiaceae cola vera", is the seed kernel of a large West African tree with pretty flowers - yellow with purple spots. The nuts are actually seed leaves also called Cotyledons(1 to 2 inches). They are odourless with a bitter thing to them.

Its main content is caffeine and some historical uses include: stimulants, anti-depressants, diuretics and for sea-sickness.

A more popular use is in cola beverages. Legend has it that coca cola was originally made from the mixture of sugar, coca and an extracts from kola nut. - Coca-cola today is one of the best known brand in the World.

The Kola Nut symbolic process involves three main steps:
The presentation of the kola
The breaking of the kola
The distribution of the kola

When Kola nut is presented, the host hands it to the oldest man among his guests. The oldest man then shows it to everyone present, it gets passed around and each of them records his approval by touching the nut (this is usually refered to as "TRAVEL" - The Kola Nut is travelling). At this point greetings and prayers are said to God, the gods and our ancestors. Prayers are usually for life, happiness, good health, children, prosperity and good harvests.

In the breaking of the Kola Nut, the responsibility may fall on the oldest person present or on the youngest person, depending on which part of Igboland. In most parts of Awka, the duty falls on the oldest, but in Ngwaland, more often than not it is the responsibility of the youngest among them.

Once the Kola Nut is broken, the pieces of kola are now distributed round by the youngest among them, everyone takes a piece of it.

Other forms of Igbo hospitality are the offering of food, and drink but none is as important as the offering of Kola Nut. In Igboland the word "Oji" represents hospitality.

Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by OgidiBoy(m): 2:06am On May 29, 2009
I'm sorry if I'm going off topic a little, I just need to ask a few questions since this thread is about Igbo culture. Can women use those chalks to mark symbols on the floor ? I've seen it done in a few Nigerian movies mostly by older men. Also what part of igboland is that practiced ?
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 2:11am On May 29, 2009
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 2:12am On May 29, 2009
OgidiBoy:

I'm sorry if I'm going off topic a little, I just need to ask a few questions since this thread is about Igbo culture. Can women use those chalks to mark symbols on the floor ? I've seen it done in a few Nigerian movies mostly by older men. Also what part of igboland is that practiced ?

Please don't bring juju into the thread
what chalk? grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by OgidiBoy(m): 2:15am On May 29, 2009
$osisi:

Please don't bring juju into the thread
what chalk? grin

Mind your self oh angry I'll not trying to bring juju any where. I know I've seem older men in Nigerian movies drwing lines on the floor.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ifyalways(f): 8:10am On May 29, 2009
Pres,i hear u rasta boi  cheesy
The rites associated with breaking and blessing Kola varies from place to place and women actually bless and break Kola as opposed to what the OP stated.me i don tire,i no be eze gworo.
OgidiBoy:

The only women i have heard using it are the women eze-mmuo/eze nwanyi ie priestress aside that. . . who dash monkey banana?
i think this pratice might be common in all Igbolands BUT its only used when one visits the traditional "afa priests" for consultations.They sometimes use it to paint their toes as in,when u go to the shrine,after greetings,the "afa" priest paints his toes and gives u the chalk,then u paint ur toes too.i think its a sign of peace.
Afa priests/ess use it to paint their eyes too.It makes them see better  wink
The elders use it to mark on the floors.i dont know the reasons for that one,guess i wud have to ask  smiley
Women esp pregnant ones eat it.Not all though,some crave for it when preggie.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by fingard02k(m): 11:56am On May 29, 2009
As for Abagworo

Biko Biko Biko anwa kwana anwa kpoo Awka afa ozo ma i n'ayikwa ala
as for chalk (nzu) thing, i think it's all about tradition cus on imo-Awka festival day i saw some people writteing on the groumd with nzu. they wrote one into four and circle it which i think is eke,oye,afo and nkwo the igbo four market days and after that they say something which i dont know
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Dede1(m): 1:23pm On May 29, 2009
A visitor does not break the kola presented to the visitor, hence, Oji Eze gha naka Eze.

A woman does neither break, present nor shown a kola regardless of the woman’s status in the community.

The Breaking of Kola falls in hand of the eldest person unless so delegated that younger men break kola. Sometime the delegation of kola breaking is given to a young man to test the young man’s knowledge of tradition. The so-called Igbo kola has certain significances towards the manner or number of lobes it has. Depending on the number of lobes, not everybody present would eat the kola, hence, demand for another kola to be presented.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Abagworo(m): 1:44pm On May 29, 2009
@fingard02k.for the interest of peace,you should apologize to abagworo for he has nothing with awka nor has he made any statement with regards to awka.these kinds of stuff is what disunites us.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ezeagu(m): 6:05pm On May 29, 2009
Ifygurl:

"Cha cha cha igbo kwenu"

Kill me why don't you? Why shouldn't the women say it too, wetin go happen? Water turn to blood?

Abeg, respect yourself. In that case, why don't women pay a grooms prize? shocked
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ezeagu(m): 6:07pm On May 29, 2009
$osisi:

stop eating Kolanuts,It causes cancer

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-277671.0.html#msg3943293

Its not only cancer, its full blown AIDS, chew!
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by grafikdon: 7:32pm On May 29, 2009
stillwater:

Awka people talk as if they have hot pounded yam in their mouths. cheesy

angry angry angry angry Bia ada anyi, ishi nowvu nnudu na emeghu ika? Inuru mmia? Oduonye shighi bia ika suo ndu be anyi imi? Imekete kwukwe udi okwu awvu  ika, mwele anachu bukee ghu aru newvu. . . agam fwa ashighi mpoto ede kpokwaaghu n'okpa newvu. . .angry angry grin grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 8:35pm On May 29, 2009
grafikdon:

angry angry angry angry Bia ada anyi, ishi nowvu nnudu na emeghu ika? Inuru mmia? Oduonye shighi bia ika suo ndu be anyi imi? Imekete kwukwe udi okwu awvu ika, mwele anachu bukee ghu aru newvu. . . agam fwa ashighi mpoto ede kpokwaaghu n'okpa newvu. . .angry angry grin grin

shocked shocked shocked
nke a obi udi k'obu Nsukka ?
Impressive.
This grafikdon di kwa too much
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by grafikdon: 10:11pm On May 29, 2009
grin grin That's hardcore  Awka. . . Obu eleanwu ke eshiwve asu newvu  cheesy tongue tongue Mana nke ndi Ekwulobia dikwa wondafulu and twodafulu shocked  whva na asu asusu whvahu kana ina aju ma owuokwe na ana Igbo ka ino.  shocked shocked grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 12:33am On May 30, 2009
it sounds just like wawa
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by grafikdon: 12:41am On May 30, 2009
They look similar on paper but when you listen to the spoken words, they're nearly miles apart. Before you know it now Ekwulobia, Oko and Nanka  people will call themselves "Aguata" instead of Igbo. . . na so e dey start. So what if my name is Onyekachi Nwafo? I am not Igbo, I am Aguata  angry angry angry  grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ChinenyeN(m): 1:51am On May 30, 2009
grafikdon:

angry angry angry angry Bia ada anyi, ishi nowvu nnudu na emeghu ika? Inuru mmia? Oduonye shighi bia ika suo ndu be anyi imi? Imekete kwukwe udi okwu awvu  ika, mwele anachu bukee ghu aru newvu. . . agam fwa ashighi mpoto ede kpokwaaghu n'okpa newvu. . .angry angry grin grin

grafikdon:

grin grin That's hardcore  Awka. . . Obu eleanwu ke eshiwve asu newvu  cheesy tongue tongue Mana nke ndi Ekwulobia dikwa wondafulu and twodafulu shocked  whva na asu asusu whvahu kana ina aju ma owuokwe na ana Igbo ka ino.  shocked shocked grin

These would be easier to read, and it would have made more sense, if you had written it with Standard Igbo grammar rules. All the same though, I still feel glad to see some people writing in something other than general Igbo here and there, and every now and then.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 4:18am On May 30, 2009
Sexist bullshit.

Igbo Kwenu! Cha! Cha! Cha!
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by ChinenyeN(m): 4:27am On May 30, 2009
sugabelly:

Sexist bullshit.

Igbo Kwenu! Cha! Cha! Cha!
hahaha. . . "sexist bullshit", yet you didn't even say it correctly. . .
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Ifygurl: 7:31pm On May 30, 2009
ezeagu:

Abeg, respect yourself. In that case, why don't women pay a grooms prize? shocked

fine, women should pay grooms prize. Who cares?
Not breaking kolanut or saying "cha cha igbo kwenu" because you are a woman is just sexiest.
But like someone said, old men are the ones who does any of those stuff. From what i've noticed; That seems to be true
To me, that's better and respectful
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 30, 2009
grafikdon:

Wetin be this? Hot pounded yam talk? grin grin grin cheesy
Thanks for proving my point. tongue kiss
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 30, 2009
The point is, almost all cultures around the world started out sexist. The men tried to assert their power over the women by making up stupid rules about things women can't do. And the men ALWAYS had more freedoms than the men.

Igbo culture or not, it's all sexist bullshit. I'll say Igbo Kwenu if I want thank you. I'm a FULL member of the tribe and I won't be treated any less.
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by sosisi(f): 11:58pm On May 30, 2009
try it in an Igbo meeting.
People will open their eyes wide and no one will answer the Yaaaaaaa!
I promise you even your own father or husband will disown you momentarily. grin
Re: Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!"" by Nobody: 12:55am On May 31, 2009
$osisi:

try it in an Igbo meeting.
People will open their eyes wide and no one will answer the Yaaaaaaa!
I promise you even your own father or husband will disown you momentarily. grin

Rotflmao!!! I'll answer her. tongue tongue

I'm not concerned about the Igbo Kwenu part. Good afternoon sirs/mas is enough for me. tongue tongue Just leave my gizzard for me. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa And Other Tribes Must Live As One - Emir Of Katsina / Why Do Africans Scar Themselves: Self Hate? / 10 most Beautiful Benin Artifacts(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.