Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,260 members, 7,977,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 12:57 PM

Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa (1851 Views)

U.S. Embassy Warns Of Possible 'Terrorism' Attacks In Nigeria - Reuters / Crisis Brews As Dogara Moves To Strip Lasun Of Powers: Nation / Buhari Moves To Slash Own Salary, Allowance. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by AloyEmeka9: 5:44pm On May 27, 2009
U.S. embassy moves to end Nigerians' ordeal over visa
70,000 residents seek U.S. visa in Nigeria
From Oghogho Obayuwana, Abuja

THE United States (U.S.) Embassy in Nigeria has started a series of physical and regulatory measures to bring about the level of dignity craved by Nigerians seeking American visas and other services at its embassy.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/27/30.html

This may be an apparent bid to stem criticisms of discriminatory profiling and consequent unfair treatment of Nigerians applying for visas at U.S. mission in the country

But even as the measures are meant to ensure that Nigerian applicants are treated with dignity and respect in the visa application procedures, they are nevertheless an open sesame to visa grants as the American immigration laws must take effect in the process, U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, Robin RenŽe Sanders, has said.

Sanders spoke yesterday at a media briefing and tour of the U.S. Consular Section for media representatives and Nigerian government officials to highlight steps the U.S. Mission in Nigeria has taken to ensure the best possible experience for Nigerian applying for U.S. visas.

Also at the briefing were VFS Global officials who handle the Abuja and Lagos visa appointment system for the U.S. Embassy and two Consular chiefs - Victoria Coffineau, Abuja; and Richard Walsh, Lagos.

Sanders said: "We welcome visitors to the United States and we want your experience to be positive from the day you apply for your visa. However, applicants must also appreciate the rules of our immigration laws and understand that visa issuance is not an entitlement."

A part of the new measures, a protective canopy to shield applicants from the elements has been erected at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja. These have been complemented with speed breakers on the road to increase pedestrian safety. Jumbo umbrellas and comfortable seating arrangements in enlarged pavilion areas have also been provided by the Mission.

Disclosing that the same measures had been put in place at the Mission's Lagos office, Walsh added that apart from the covered entrance pavilion, a major renovation work was ongoing to build two storey buildings in addition to the new waiting room, which will be ready in 12 months with the entire project taking about two years to complete.

Sanders also disclosed that 70,000 Nigerians applied for U.S. visas last year, out of which 58,000 were granted.

Stressing the need for Nigerians to distinguish between visa processing and issuance, Sanders said: "Do not confuse the processing and our new efforts to make better the process. Visa issuance is something else. That's where the law comes in and we respect the U.S. immigration laws."

However, she stressed: "Even if you do not receive a visa, we want you to have a comfortable experience through the process. Therefore, we have partnered with VFS in a programme to improve the on-line visa application process. And we continue to train our staff to maintain the highest levels of customer service. This is our commitment to you."

Apart from fielding questions on the problems encountered by Nigerians trying to log on to the website provided by VFS Global, details on U.S. immigration law and the visa application process were also provided at yesterday's briefing.
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by JJYOU: 5:53pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

THE United States (U.S.) Embassy in Nigeria has started a series of physical and regulatory measures to bring about the level of dignity craved by Nigerians seeking American visas and other services at its embassy.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/may/27/30.html

This may be an apparent bid to stem criticisms of discriminatory profiling and consequent unfair treatment of Nigerians applying for visas at U.S. mission in the country

But even as the measures are meant to ensure that Nigerian applicants are treated with dignity and respect in the visa application procedures, they are nevertheless an open sesame to visa grants as the American immigration laws must take effect in the process, U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, Robin RenŽe Sanders, has said.

Sanders spoke yesterday at a media briefing and tour of the U.S. Consular Section for media representatives and Nigerian government officials to highlight steps the U.S. Mission in Nigeria has taken to ensure the best possible experience for Nigerian applying for U.S. visas.

Also at the briefing were VFS Global officials who handle the Abuja and Lagos visa appointment system for the U.S. Embassy and two Consular chiefs - Victoria Coffineau, Abuja; and Richard Walsh, Lagos.

Sanders said: "We welcome visitors to the United States and we want your experience to be positive from the day you apply for your visa. However, applicants must also appreciate the rules of our immigration laws and understand that visa issuance is not an entitlement." this is where the problem lies. most people think it is a right with all the prayer and baba serri visit they should get it without proper documents

A part of the new measures, a protective canopy to shield applicants from the elements has been erected at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja. These have been complemented with speed breakers on the road to increase pedestrian safety. Jumbo umbrellas and comfortable seating arrangements in enlarged pavilion areas have also been provided by the Mission.

Disclosing that the same measures had been put in place at the Mission's Lagos office, Walsh added that apart from the covered entrance pavilion, a major renovation work was ongoing to build two storey buildings in addition to the new waiting room, which will be ready in 12 months with the entire project taking about two years to complete.

Sanders also disclosed that 70,000 Nigerians applied for U.S. visas last year, out of which 58,000 were granted. by any standard this is good.

Stressing the need for Nigerians to distinguish between visa processing and issuance, Sanders said: "Do not confuse the processing and our new efforts to make better the process. Visa issuance is something else. That's where the law comes in and we respect the U.S. immigration laws."

However, she stressed: "Even if you do not receive a visa, we want you to have a comfortable experience through the process. Therefore, we have partnered with VFS in a programme to improve the on-line visa application process. And we continue to train our staff to maintain the highest levels of customer service. This is our commitment to you."

Apart from fielding questions on the problems encountered by Nigerians trying to log on to the website provided by VFS Global, details on U.S. immigration law and the visa application process were also provided at yesterday's briefing.
even if they do these interviews in the middle of maroko gutters naija people will go
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by PapaBrowne(m): 5:56pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Sanders also disclosed that 70,000 Nigerians applied for U.S. visas last year, out of which 58,000 were granted.

If this is true, how come Nigerians keep complaining about American Visa been a problem!
That figure is over 80% of applicants. That makes American Visa the easiest Visa to obtain in Nigeria.
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by MaiSuya(m): 6:48pm On May 27, 2009
PapaBrowne:

If this is true, how come Nigerians keep complaining about American Visa been a problem!
That figure is over 80% of applicants. That makes American Visa the easiest Visa to obtain in Nigeria.

The man was just telling lies.

The few times I've been to the embassy, it was not uncommon to see that out of the hundreds presenting there on a daily basis( ie excluding those that turn the place to their permanent 'camp ground'), only about 10 or 11 (about 10%) will be successful applicants. Yet the yeye man is claiming over 80% approval? LIAR!! angry
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by AloyEmeka9: 7:12pm On May 27, 2009

The few times I've been to the embassy, it was not uncommon to see that out of the hundreds presenting there on a daily basis( ie excluding those that turn the place to their permanent 'camp ground'), only about 10 or 11 (about 10%) will be successful applicants. Yet the yeye man is claiming over 80% approval? LIAR!!
I doubted that too.
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by biina: 7:17pm On May 27, 2009
Mai Suya:

The few times I've been to the embassy, it was not uncommon to see that out of the hundreds presenting there on a daily basis( ie excluding those that turn the place to their permanent 'camp ground'), only about 10 or 11 (about 10%) will be successful applicants. Yet the yeye man is claiming over 80% approval? LIAR!! angry
I would even think that the visitors visa would have a success rate of less than 1%. Probably the guy missed a zero i.e. 58,000 of 700, 000 applicants
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by PapaBrowne(m): 7:36pm On May 27, 2009
biina:

I would even think that the visitors visa would have a success rate of less than 1%. Probably the guy missed a zero i.e. 58,000 of 700, 000 applicants

Or maybe 5,800 out of 70,000!
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by hoeyeadoe: 7:46pm On May 27, 2009
And to think that there are these so many applicants for the US visas only makes me want to collapse, see our children, running away to other abodes, while we sit ere unwavering to positive movements. uhmmmmm,
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by MrCrackles(m): 7:48pm On May 27, 2009
Pssf!

Na today!! angry
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by Fhemmmy: 9:07pm On May 27, 2009
It is not possible to have such statistics, i am so sure that there are more applicants in Nigeria than such figures.
I will let to see the stats and not just some bla bla
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by kosovo(m): 9:26pm On May 27, 2009
my SUPPORT to MAN.UTD is for life.
in victory and failure!

sighs,

Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa ? huh?
what a waste!
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by AloyEmeka9: 9:39pm On May 27, 2009
You have failed. Shame on Man U. Up Arsenal!
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by kosovo(m): 10:07pm On May 27, 2009
very funny indeed.
trophy-less for how long?
sighs,
Arsenal is a complete waste of time and hope.

hmmmm
i must admit BARCA is tight.
i see football as an entertainment and not as fight like many pathetic Nigerians do.
suntimes shit happens
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by Prettiep(f): 10:22pm On May 27, 2009
kosovo n aloy u guyz should look 4 football thread n do ur football fan discussion, can't u c we ar trying to get proper statistics on our NAIja immigrants to america.
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by yeswecan(m): 10:25pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Big fat lies
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by Prettiep(f): 10:37pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy just lyk u rightly said although i'll adjust it a bit 580 Out of 700000. she must av corrected herself off air.i think we should just chase them out of our country let's really look @ things very well d americans need us for our mineral resources , we only need them for vacations cos of d weather. , think this thru my fellow NAIja brothers n sisters.our leaders can change NAIja for good if we try 2 work 2wards that.
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by kosovo(m): 10:38pm On May 27, 2009
@Prettiep
kosovo n aloy u guyz should look 4  football thread n do ur football fan discussion, can't u c we ar trying to get proper statistics on our NAIja immigrants to america.

which hole did you come out from?.
is this where you get proper stats?.
u can keep fooling yourself and keep thinking you are making sense while doing otherwise.

The pendulum of the mind oscillates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.
you had better run back to the hole from which you accended from.
what a waste!
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by AloyEmeka9: 10:47pm On May 27, 2009
Aloy just lyk u rightly said although i'll adjust it a bit 580 Out of 700000. she must av corrected herself off air.i think we should just chase them out of our country let's really look @ things very well d americans need us for our mineral resources , we only need them for vacations cos of d weather. , think this thru my fellow NAIja brothers n sisters.our leaders can change NAIja for good if we try 2 work 2wards that.
grin grin grin You sabi pat yourself in the back no be small. Kobojunkie must see this one,
Re: Obama Effect:u.s. Embassy Moves To End Nigerians' Ordeal Over Visa by Prettiep(f): 3:26pm On May 28, 2009
@kosovo n aloy we really don't av to start abusing ourselves over some statistics, aloy emeka i thought u formed this thread, i had same opinion, that d stats given weren't correct, i'm only sayin what's d big deal ?if our leaders made d country better to live in , then most of us won't av to run away , we'll live n work here but just go 4 vacs when we need a change in d weather, pls understand me there's really no need for insults okay!

(1) (Reply)

Hurray!Northern Senators Back Down On Resource Control, State Creation / Another Commissioner Quits Ogun Cabinet - No, We Sacked Her - Govt / Jonathan, Keeping A Low Profile Is A Brilliant Idea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.