Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,582 members, 7,944,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 12:00 AM

Help With Battery Drain - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help With Battery Drain (4428 Views)

The Top 7 Things That Can Drain Your Car Battery / Need Help: Radio Causing Battery Drain. / Parasitic Drain On My Car Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 12:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
pls i need help with resolving this battery drain problem i have been experiencing for a while now. I do not know if its d battery that is small for d engine. in the past i have noticed d battery of the car (2006 toyota rav4) running down down after like 3 days but wen i switch d battery to the 2001 camry it works. i also noticed after charging the battery for just like 3 hours or so... it works perfectly without problem until another few days away when it runs down again and i have to charge it. pls help... what could possibly be the problem? and how can i resolve it?
Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 1:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
mili3kid:
pls i need help with resolving this battery drain problem i have been experiencing for a while now. I do not know if its d battery that is small for d engine. in the past i have noticed d battery of the car (2006 toyota rav4) running down down after like 3 days but wen i switch d battery to the 2001 camry it works. i also noticed after charging the battery for just like 3 hours or so... it works perfectly without problem until another few days away when it runs down again and i have to charge it. pls help... what could possibly be the problem? and how can i resolve it?
u definitely have a parasitic within your car circuitry system issue.
Call autologic @ 08061166316 to give you a remote support.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 1:22pm On Nov 30, 2015
honmusa:

u definitely have a parasitic within your car circuitry system issue.
Call autologic @ 08061166316 to give you a remote support.
thanks alot boss
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 5:28pm On Nov 30, 2015
is there possibly another way to resolve this?
Re: Help With Battery Drain by Bright2(m): 6:49pm On Nov 30, 2015
Do u have security in that car?
it might be draining your battery.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 7:50pm On Nov 30, 2015
Bright2:
Do u have security in that car? it might be draining your battery.
yes sir.... I do. but na d type wey dey ff car come na
Re: Help With Battery Drain by Bright2(m): 8:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
mili3kid:

yes sir.... I do. but na d type wey dey ff car come na

some car securities most especially tracker does it too.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mayor2013: 9:24pm On Nov 30, 2015
mili3kid:

There are a lot of factors that can cause this. I would highlight them in order of simplicity of repair

1) power source (battery), is your battery in a good condition with a voltage of 12.6v? What is the current amperage rating of your battery

2) is your charging system working effectly. I.e is your alternator charging your battery effectively?

3) do you have any after market gadgets installed on your car prior this development?

I would strongly recommend you look closely @ all I have written above although I strongly would pick number 2 but nevertheless check through all 3 points have given in the following order. In my opinion I do not think this is a parasitic drain since you said the battery voltage drains off after 3days if in a case within 24hrs then its obviously a parasitic drain so therefore in this case a parasitic drain test needs to be carried out.

If you need a solution to the problem and you are in lagos. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 10:41pm On Nov 30, 2015
mayor2013:

There are a lot of factors that can cause this. I would highlight them in order of simplicity of repair

1) power source (battery), is your battery in a good condition with a voltage of 12.6v? What is the current amperage rating of your battery

2) is your charging system working effectly. I.e is your alternator charging your battery effectively?

3) do you have any after market gadgets installed on your car prior this development?

I would strongly recommend you look closely @ all I have written above although I strongly would pick number 2 but nevertheless check through all 3 points have given in the following order. In my opinion I do not think this is a parasitic drain since you said the battery voltage drains off after 3days if in a case within 24hrs then its obviously a parasitic drain so therefore in this case a parasitic drain test needs to be carried out.

If you need a solution to the problem and you are in lagos. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837
i rly appreciate d diagnosis U av given. in response sir,
1. the battery has a current rating of 12V 62AH. i want to believe it is in a good condition cuz even when it doesnt start d Rav4 it works with the camry.
2. sincerely I cannot answer dis sir but is there a way I can test dis? to confirm if it charges d ba3.
3. I have not had any after market gadgets installed.infact, when I noticed dis I even disconnect d security system thinking it was d cause of d battery drain.
i reside in Kwara state sir. wld it b ok if I still call d number?
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mayor2013: 10:54pm On Nov 30, 2015
mili3kid:

i rly appreciate d diagnosis U av given. in response sir,
1. the battery has a current rating of 12V 62AH. i want to believe it is in a good condition cuz even when it doesnt start d Rav4 it works with the camry.
2. sincerely I cannot answer dis sir but is there a way I can test dis? to confirm if it charges d ba3.
3. I have not had any after market gadgets installed.infact, when I noticed dis I even disconnect d security system thinking it was d cause of d battery drain.
i reside in Kwara state sir. wld it b ok if I still call d number?

Well from my experience if your amperage rating is 62amps. Am afraid that I might be too small for a 2006 rav4 considering the electrical components of the car. But before changing your battery which I haven't recommended yet. Confirm that your alternator is charging your battery but the best way to test that ia through the help of a multimeter for accuracy. Its ok if you call the numbers, would guide you through
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 11:11pm On Nov 30, 2015
mayor2013:

Well from my experience if your amperage rating is 62amps. Am afraid that I might be too small for a 2006 rav4 considering the electrical components of the car. But before changing your battery which I haven't recommended yet. Confirm that your alternator is charging your battery but the best way to test that ia through the help of a multimeter for accuracy. Its ok if you call the numbers, would guide you through
alryt boss. i rly appreciate. will see my mech to help check d alternator but i'll also try call tomorrow so U can help me tru it. and I hope there is a way we can diagnose it without d multimeter cuz I do not own 1. **smiles** tnx alot again boss.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mayor2013: 12:21am On Dec 01, 2015
mili3kid:

alryt boss. i rly appreciate. will see my mech to help check d alternator but i'll also try call tomorrow so U can help me tru it. and I hope there is a way we can diagnose it without d multimeter cuz I do not own 1. **smiles** tnx alot again boss.

Any other way used is an inaccurate way. When working electrical values are very important
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 12:10pm On Dec 01, 2015
mayor2013:

Any other way used is an inaccurate way. When working electrical values are very important
tnx alot boss. seen my mech...claims d alternator is in gd condition an suggested like U did an upgrade to d battery. so I will b getting a 75Ah battery...
Re: Help With Battery Drain by cecegorz(m): 1:47pm On Dec 01, 2015
mili3kid:

Check if there is any electronic unit that is left ON when you switch off the engine. That could be the culprit.
Just this Sunday, as I left church to drive home, I discovered my battery was flat. Then one of the guards came to inform me that he noticed my headlamp was ON after I packed, and he couldn't reach me to switch it OFF.
Fortunately one of my friends had a jumper cable and we used his car battery to boost mine
Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 2:01pm On Dec 01, 2015
mili3kid:

tnx alot boss. seen my mech...claims d alternator is in gd condition an suggested like U did an upgrade to d battery. so I will b getting a 75Ah battery...
if you buy another battery without resolving the parasitic drain, it will be like throwing money into pit because the good battery also will go the same way of the bad battery .
Average Nigerian mechanic prefer the shortcut route of throwing parts at a problem to resolve an issue instead of investing in right skill and tools that make them a professional in basic troubleshooting.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 2:42pm On Dec 01, 2015
cecegorz:

Check if there is any electronic unit that is left ON when you switch off the engine. That could be the culprit.
Just this Sunday, as I left church to drive home, I discovered my battery was flat. Then one of the guards came to inform me that he noticed my headlamp was ON after I packed, and he couldn't reach me to switch it OFF.
Fortunately one of my friends had a jumper cable and we used his car battery to boost mine
wow tnx for dt bro. so far, i av checked n dere is no electric unit on (none dt I kno of sha except na spiritual). i actualli had similar issue on sunday. but mine was dt I listened to d radio while d engine was off o... n dt was for quite a while b4 leaving church... cld dt av been enuf to drain d battery flat? i listen to radio on other cars with d engine off n d ba3s dnt go flat so why dis one?
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 3:44pm On Dec 01, 2015
honmusa:

if you buy another battery without resolving the parasitic drain, it will be like throwing money into pit because the good battery also will go the same way of the bad battery .
Average Nigerian mechanic prefer the shortcut route of throwing parts at a problem to resolve an issue instead of investing in right skill and tools that make them a professional in basic troubleshooting.
so true boss... very very tru
Re: Help With Battery Drain by cecegorz(m): 5:04pm On Dec 01, 2015
mili3kid:

wow tnx for dt bro. so far, i av checked n dere is no electric unit on (none dt I kno of sha except na spiritual). i actualli had similar issue on sunday. but mine was dt I listened to d radio while d engine was off o... n dt was for quite a while b4 leaving church... cld dt av been enuf to drain d battery flat? i listen to radio on other cars with d engine off n d ba3s dnt go flat so why dis one?
I don't think radio should do that, unless the battery is already getting weak.
I listen to radio while the Engine is off, and I never had any issue with that.
Just get a good electrician/rewire to check for the leaks
Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2015
mili3kid:
so true boss... very very tru
call my number on my signature I can take u through some procedures.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 5:15pm On Dec 01, 2015
h
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mili3kid(m): 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2015
honmusa:
call my number on my signature I can take u through some procedures.
alryt sir
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mofy(m): 1:08am On Dec 17, 2015
In my own case have changed my battery to no avail it still runs down even d electricians can't seem to find d fault,alternator working well we changed d cables connecting to d battery still runs down, now he s suggesting we change d kick because it started have hard starting lately but I'm afriad dat won't solve it. Please wat else can I do its Honda bulldog. Thanks will appreciate any meaningful advice but dis battery issues has really been embarrassing me if I'm to stay anywhere more than 5 minutes I open bonnet and remove battery head b4 I sleep remove battery head.Help abeg
Re: Help With Battery Drain by BOUNTYDOG(m): 7:41am On Dec 17, 2015
Where I buy my batteries,though in lagos,they usually run checks on the car to ensure it doesn't have leakages and checks alternators if charging well before they install the new batteries,this they do to ensure the car is ok for them to give warranty on the new battery,I normally get a one year warranty and have used some of the batteries for more than 6yrs no issues at all.I buy from Dimaps Olowu.
You can look out for reliable battery dealers around you and not spare parts dealers selling batteries alongside or a battery charger selling batteries,but a good distributer that gets directly from manufacturers.they should have such facilities too

One simple way to check if ur charging circuits is good in ur car is to remove one of the terminal head while the engine is idle,if it goes off,then you need to check ur alternators

1 Like

Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 12:54pm On Dec 17, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:
Where I buy my batteries,though in lagos,they usually run checks on the car to ensure it doesn't have leakages and checks alternators if charging well before they install the new batteries,this they do to ensure the car is ok for them to give warranty on the new battery,I normally get a one year warranty and have used some of the batteries for more than 6yrs no issues at all.I buy from Dimaps Olowu.
You can look out for reliable battery dealers around you and not spare parts dealers selling batteries alongside or a battery charger selling batteries,but a good distributer that gets directly from manufacturers.they should have such facilities too

One simple way to check if ur charging circuits is good in ur car is to remove one of the terminal head while the engine is idle,if it goes off,then you need to check ur alternators
Taking off the batttery terminal while the car engine is working is a very bad practice that can spoil any sensitive electronic components on your car eg ECU.This is due to the fact that the battery is a large load on the alternator and removing abrupt removing of this battery load will cause a large current to flow in your car circuit system.
Beside ,using this crude method doesnt even prove fully that the alternator is still ok .

1 Like

Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 1:26pm On Dec 17, 2015
mofy:
In my own case have changed my battery to no avail it still runs down even d electricians can't seem to find d fault,alternator working well we changed d cables connecting to d battery still runs down, now he s suggesting we change d kick because it started have hard starting lately but I'm afriad dat won't solve it. Please wat else can I do its Honda bulldog. Thanks will appreciate any meaningful advice but dis battery issues has really been embarrassing me if I'm to stay anywhere more than 5 minutes I open bonnet and remove battery head b4 I sleep remove battery head.Help abeg
Call autologic @ 08061166316 to resolve the drain
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mayor2013: 7:16pm On Dec 17, 2015
mofy:

If you are in lagos call 08156087872 or 08165520837. Bbpin is 7BE1C522
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mayor2013: 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:

Your point is one of the reasons why we have ecu problems and sensor problems in Nigeria. A very bad practice I must tell you. Now the big question is what takes back the current within the circuitin your car after you must have removed a battery terminal?
Re: Help With Battery Drain by seyiaderinto(m): 10:08pm On Dec 17, 2015
mili3kid:

if u think its spiritual go for spiritual diagnosis then
Re: Help With Battery Drain by BOUNTYDOG(m): 8:14am On Dec 18, 2015
Well that's true,I stand to be corrected.
The practise I realised can actually be done to older car models,cos I just remember if u take off battery terminals while key is in the ignition in my car,it goes to code and that's big wahala
The best bet is have a rewire check it for u
Thanks.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by chukstel(m): 10:17pm On Dec 18, 2015
I have gotten a similar issue with my battery going down everyday after driving. I contacted an auto electrician who told me the faulty was with the alternator. he changed a part inside the alternator and problem solved till date.

so your problem would be with your alternator.
Re: Help With Battery Drain by honmusa(m): 4:45am On Dec 19, 2015
chukstel:
I have gotten a similar issue with my battery going down everyday after driving. I contacted an auto electrician who told me the faulty was with the alternator. he changed a part inside the alternator and problem solved till date.

shocked shocked fallacy of hasty generalization !!!!
Re: Help With Battery Drain by mayor2013: 9:54am On Dec 19, 2015
chukstel:

You think the problem is solved. Wait some few more days and see what happens

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adorable Photos Of Customized Peugeot 504 In This Modern Day. / Petrol Vs Diesel (why You Should Choose Diesel) / My 2000 Toyota Seinna Is Emitting Black Smoke And Starts When Car Is Cold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.