Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,968 members, 7,873,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:07 AM

Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually (16328 Views)

Nigeria Spends $5bn On Generators Annually / Forbes Take On Kemi Adeosun, Nigeria's New Minister For Finance / US Donates $5bn To MNJTF For Fight Against Boko Haram. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by iswallker(m): 2:15pm On Dec 02, 2015
watch how you "save" money....

experience has shown that you are more likely to spend more when you try to save...

you buy fake and inexpensive china items rather than the original.... undecided

you give jobs to people who are willing to do it for less than the standard rate...

it all comes back to haunt you....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by ttmacoy: 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2015
During a recession your first steps are to eliminate waste aka why countries like the UK adopted austerity measures then look for growth to kick start the economy.

She makes sense, if she can truly achieve it is another kettle of fish.

obasiken:
Saving during recession. Lol. Think of how to generate money not how to save oil money. Dumb leaders

1 Like

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by Xfactoria: 2:41pm On Dec 02, 2015
neolboy:
Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun said she can save as much as $5 billion annually by cracking down on waste in more than 450 government agencies, a strategy that will determine how well Nigerian economy weathers its slowest growth spell since 1999.

Adeosun, who took office in November, offered an early glimpse of how Africa’s top crude exporter plans to navigate a crash in oil prices that has beset petrostates globally.

Nigeria’s government revenue has fallen by about 60% from the height of the oil boom more than a year ago, she said.

To compensate for those lost funds, the London-born former accountant and investment banker said she would scrutinize the prices government agencies pay for plane tickets, office supplies and other items.

Next year’s budget will also include caps on increases to government workers’ salaries, she said.
“We’re trying to rein everybody in,” Ms. Adeosun, 48 years old, said from behind the desk vacated in May by her predecessor, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. “I don’t expect anybody to like it, but I also expect people to understand that where we find ourselves, there’s no choice.”

Ms. Adeosun was finance commissioner for Ogun State before she was appointed minister.

Source:www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/we-can-save-5bn-annually--finance-minister/122288.html

Sounds familiar! Sounds like 1984's austerity measures all over again.

Surely, Nigeria is slipping into recession and these new managers have no idea how to curb it. #wedonenteronechance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by anonimi: 3:05pm On Dec 02, 2015
daretodiffer:
Keep your BS to yourself

Jonathan ruined everything for us and for him. He is the worst president ever.

I pray that the Good Lord (or Allah or Whatever you worship) will DELIVER you from the darkness, which the barrage of LIES & PROPAGANDA by the APShit witches have plunged you in- Amen, Amin, Ase!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2162677_img20150225204321edit_jpeg56bb1cb2db278f716bb3a9df7c4cd726
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by manny4life(m): 3:11pm On Dec 02, 2015
voltron:
Mrs. Adeosun. I respect your office and will not go beyond this contribution

A Cap on Salary increase is not a strategy. what needs to be looked at primarily is Operating Expenditure vis-a-vis Revenue generated on Income earned. CAPEX is another angle.. but really should Ministries be doing such?

Key Areas to be looked at is
1: Clear Functional Goals for each Ministry.. This should align with their Constitutionally-established Function nothing more nothing less
2: Removal of Duplicitous functions and offices for "Settlement Appointees"
3: Independent External Audit of Processes (HR, Accounts, Management Policies)
4: Removal of Security Votes

There is a lot of wastage especially in Lagos.. an SA of a previous administration comfortably pays rent for his extended family from the allowance for Stationery sad you can imagine what other allowances are leeching monies from FG's pocket.

I doubt sincerely that you can make any serious impactful change in your position as Minister. If you are to do so then you can expect threats to your life. It would be a pleasant change if you can.

Thank you... I thought I was the only one that noticed this. How can you place a cap on salary increase?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 02, 2015
anonimi:

I pray that the Good Lord (or Allah or Whatever you worship) will DELIVER you from the darkness, which the barrage of LIES & PROPAGANDA by the APShit witches have plunged you in- Amen, Amin, Ase!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2162677_img20150225204321edit_jpeg56bb1cb2db278f716bb3a9df7c4cd726

I pray whatever you serve delivers you from your stup.id.ity and idio.cy
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by anonimi: 3:31pm On Dec 02, 2015
daretodiffer:
I pray whatever you serve delivers you from your stupid.ity and idio.cy

grin grin grin
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by anonimi: 3:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
voltron:

A Cap on Salary increase is not a strategy. what needs to be looked at primarily is Operating Expenditure vis-a-vis Revenue generated on Income earned. CAPEX is another angle.. but really should Ministries be doing such?

1: Clear Functional Goals for each Ministry.. This should align with their Constitutionally-established Function nothing more nothing less

There is a lot of wastage especially in Lagos.. an SA of a previous administration comfortably pays rent for his extended family from the allowance for Stationery sad you can imagine what other allowances are leeching monies from FG's pocket.

I doubt sincerely that you can make any serious impactful change in your position as Minister. If you are to do so then you can expect threats to your life. It would be a pleasant change if you can.

How many of us remember that Okonjo-Iweala was kidnapped by the fuel subsidy CABAL in 2012 for daring to make positive change and transformation for the betterment of our country

AdaNri1:
Why my mother was kidnapped – Okonjo-Iweala

The Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Minister of Finace , Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala revealed Monday that her
mother, Prof Kamene Okonjo was kidnapped by those who claimed their fuel subsidy payments were blocked and the non-release of SURE-P funds.

She said her mother was neither given food nor water during her kidnap.

Professor Kamene Titi Okonjo, the 82-year-old retired professor of Sociology at the University of Nigeria, UNN, Nsukka, was released six days after a 10-man gang seized her from her home at Ogwashi-Uku, Delta State.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/why-my-mother-was-kidnapped-okonjo-iweala/
Well, if she knew who they were, why not go after them. Are they untouchables? #just asking#
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by kennycalls(m): 3:35pm On Dec 02, 2015
majority of nigerians are pessimists!! but I don't blame them, they've been frustrated and undermined by 16 years of PDP misrule, but hey, in my 2face's voice;" I know you cannot trust nobody, but you have to trust someone"

1 Like

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by anonimi: 3:37pm On Dec 02, 2015
kennycalls:
majority of nigerians are pessimists!! but I don't blame them, they've been frustrated and undermined by 16 years of PDP misrule, but hey, in my 2face's voice;" I know you cannot trust nobody, but you have to trust someone"

I sorry for you walahi. grin grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2102459_apcteam_png6dc9407cdcc2b68174c445361fc3e4c9

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by stinggy(m): 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2015
Next year’s budget will also include caps on increases to government workers’ salaries, she said.
“We’re trying to rein everybody in,” Ms. Adeosun, 48 years old, said
This caught my attention cool
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by babestella: 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2015
Lol, save what?

It's like this one too just graduated from the college of propaganda.Calling out bogus figures would not help us. One wonders why liar Mohammed has not been heard for some time now.
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by acooriz(m): 10:08pm On Dec 02, 2015
If you're saying the truth.. Wish u well... If you're lying.. Gods of okija will do the rest
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by Hilaskee(m): 11:09pm On Dec 02, 2015
The Minister is bringing into the fold of leadership Creative, innovative and productive ideas and some are here bad mouthing what they don't understand. Ride on madam for you are on your way to make another mark in your career. Kudos
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by ceejay4real(m): 1:24am On Dec 03, 2015
Petroleum subsidy MUST GO! Or else Nigeria will continue going round in circles. Our situation wld be akin to a scenario of so much locomotion but little or no movement. End of story. PERIOD!
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by ceejay4real(m): 1:29am On Dec 03, 2015
voltron:

God bless you my broda!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by Nobody: 10:23am On Dec 03, 2015
Hilaskee:
The Minister is bringing into the fold of leadership Creative, innovative and productive ideas and some are here bad mouthing what they don't understand. Ride on madam for you are on your way to make another mark in your career. Kudos

Innovative? Creative and Productive? please are you privy to these ideas? or did you just surmise this from her press chat. A Female Minister by all means is a good thing. what is far more critical at this point in Nigeria's dicey future is clean-cut, non-experimental and "PRACTICAL" globally recognized best practices. there are far impacting strategies than "Capping Salaries". If the Minister has not formed a National Strategy with specific measurable goals and objectives, a decidedly open-to-public information on national spend - After all Freedom of Information should be encouraged abi? hmmm Lagos State is yet to domesticate this bill hmm APC pourquoi?
Re: Kemi Adeosun: Nigeria can Save $5bn Annually by gazilion: 12:26pm On Dec 03, 2015
TheOnlyGentleman:
AH,FOR WHICH BANK ?

@ Hishuula..I have thought of your request!
I am responsible for what I quoted and still don't know if you enjoy working on people's emotions to get stuffs or not!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kemi Adeosun: A ‘zuwo’ Or A Nero? / Nnamdi Kanu Accepted Restructuring Before Military Invasion - Uko / Edo 2020: Anxiety, Suspicion In Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu’s Camps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.