Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,550 members, 7,888,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:46 PM

The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship (931 Views)

NADECO Back, Says Nigeria Is Back To Dictatorship / Buhari Health: DSS Plans Massive Clampdown On Social Media Users / PDP Condemns Invasion Of Dasuki's Home, Warns Against Slide To Dictatorship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 04, 2015
The Nigerian Senate, on Thursday, hit back at critics of a proposed law which sets out heavy sanctions for people who “falsely” criticise public officials or institutions.

The bill, sponsored by Bala Ibn Na’allah, a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress from Kebbi State, has been widely criticised, and is seen as not only a significant clampdown on freedom of speech, but a deliberate targeting of critics of federal lawmakers and the National Assembly.

Let us take a look at the Public Officers (Protection Against False Accusation) Decree No. 4,1984

Drafted on March 29,1984, Decree No. 4 was the most dreaded, most repressive and the last press law enacted in Nigeria. It was promulgated during the military regime of Major General Buhari which did not take kindly to press criticisms.

The law was drafted to punish authors of false statements and reports that exposed the Buhari administration and or its officials to ridicule or contempt.
Section 1, sub-sections (i), (ii) and (iii) of the law - the most formidable section - provided that:
Any person who publishes in any form, whether written or otherwise, any message,rumour, report or statement, being a message, rumour, statement or report which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Military Government or the Government of a state or public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under this Decree.

Any station for wireless telegraphy which conveys or transmits any sound or visual message, rumour, report or statement, being a message, rumour, report or statement which is false in any material particular or which brings or is calculated to bring the Federal Government or the Government of a state or a public officer to ridicule or disrepute, shall be guilty of an offence under this Decree.

It shall be an offence under this Decree for a newspaper or wireless telegraphy station in Nigeria to publish or transmit any message, rumour, report or statement which is false in any material particular stating that any public officer has in any manner been engaged in corrupt practices or has in any manner comiptly enriched himself or any other person {Gazette, 1984).

When this law is finally enforced, the 1984 scenario would be recreated. The only difference between democracy and dictatorship is freedom of speech. When that is removed, Nigeria has no doubt drifted back to the '80s.

2 Likes

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by 400billionman: 11:36am On Dec 04, 2015
Leave them, the fire they create will burn them.

People voting their grand fathers agemate to lead them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by kYjelly2: 11:43am On Dec 04, 2015
You've said it all.

Besides, I believe these are the last days and oppression of people may only get worse.
Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by GeneralBK: 11:45am On Dec 04, 2015
you won't see the so called patriotic Nigerians like TonyeBarcanista criticize this because he is afraid of annoying his masters like ngeneukwenu

so much for a ball less and jittery man cheesy
Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by GeneralBK: 11:53am On Dec 04, 2015
I was not suprised seeing them hailing the crumbling democracy that Gej built sacrificed alot and endured a heavy humiliation from apc and earned the title of the most criticized bashed president even the so called political elites like Elrufai Lier Muhammed Oyegun Delemomodu including SaharaReporters didn't spare him yet he didn't harm anyone nor prosecuted anyone just for Nigerians to experience democracy and FOI. yet before a year of Buhari the illiterate terrorist in power he's about to kill FOI and gradually killing Nigerian democracy, EFCC dss don't respect the judiciary any longer and you'll see some morons hailing him. it's really a pity because Nigeria is forked.

welcome to 1984

cc
dearpreye
Whynotthetruth
FireFire
temitemi1
MizMyColi

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by obailala(m): 11:54am On Dec 04, 2015
What is a dictatorship? ... I would have imagined that a dictatorship should be a one-man autocracy?.... but obviously, we have an evil bill being sponsored by a democratic parliament which has representatives from across the country.

Now I have just a simple question, if we say we are returning to a dictatorship, who is the dictator?

1 Like

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by GeneralBK: 11:56am On Dec 04, 2015
obailala:
What is a dictatorship? ... I would have imagined that a dictatorship should be a one-man autocracy?.... but obviously, we have an evil bill being sponsored by a democratic parliament which has representatives from across the country.

Now I have just a simple question, if we say we are returning to a dictatorship, who is the dictator?

what do you call dss EFCC led by executive disobeying and rubishing the judiciary in a democracy settings

now who's is majority in the house both red and green Chambers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by Nobody: 12:01pm On Dec 04, 2015
GeneralBK:
I was not suprised seeing them hailing the crumbling democracy that Gej built sacrificed alot and endured a heavy humiliation from apc and earned the title of the most criticized bashed president even the so called political elites like Elrufai Lier Muhammed Oyegun Delemomodu including SaharaReporters didn't spare him yet he didn't harm anyone nor prosecuted anyone just for Nigerians to experience democracy and FOI. yet before a year of Buhari the illiterate terrorist in power he's about to kill FOI and gradually killing Nigerian democracy, EFCC dss don't respect the judiciary any longer and you'll see some morons hailing him. it's really a pity because Nigeria is forked.

welcome to 1984

cc
dearpreye
Whynotthetruth
FireFire
temitemi1
MizMyColi

My dear, it's quite a worrying and shameful development. I'm not in the mood for this talk at the moment BUT it's being my lifelong principle to be wary of ideologies/leaders that are too popular with the masses.

1 Like

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by Nobody: 12:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
obailala:

The predient who's gonna sign the bill into law is/would be the dictator.
You may hurriedly say "what if he doesn't sign it?" Well he has done it before and he'll have no problem doing it again.
So much for a changed person that he told us he is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by GeneralBK: 12:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
dearpreye:

My dear, it's quite a worrying and shameful development. I'm not in the mood for this talk at the moment BUT it's being my lifelong principle to be wary of ideologies/leaders that are too popular with the masses.

Thanks bro cool
Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by obailala(m): 12:32pm On Dec 04, 2015
Fit2Rule:

The predient who's gonna sign the bill into law is/would be the dictator.
You may hurriedly say "what if he doesn't sign it?" Well he has done it before and he'll have no problem doing it again.
So much for a changed person that he told us he is.
Lol... So you are actually predicting that he will sign it, hence you have concluded based on this assumption that since he is likely to sign it if it is passed by the NASS, then he is a dictator. Wonderful!

You blame the single man who would likely sign it of being a dictator, but you did not consider that the person who originated the bill and obviously, you did not also consider that the bill must have been agreed upon by a senate comprising of 108 senators from all localities of Nigeria.

SOme humans in my part of the world obviously have a very interesting way of reasoning. You hate the man called Buhari, dont be shy, just go ahead and say it instead of hiding under the cloak of objectivity to pass such funny judgements.
Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by menesheh(m): 12:44pm On Dec 04, 2015
GeneralBK:

welcome to 1984

cc
dearpreye
Whynotthetruth
FireFire
temitemi1
MizMyColi

Every dictatorship has an intellectual arm that provides intelligent cover for their Breach of the Rule of Law and come up with excuses.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by Firefire(m): 12:53pm On Dec 04, 2015
menesheh:

Every dictatorship has an intellectual arm that provides [b]intelligent cover for their Breach of the Rule of Law and come up with exc[/b]uses.

VP Yemi Osinbajo is a professional in providing such expertise.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by zoneboy: 1:02pm On Dec 04, 2015
Please sign and retweet this online petition on social media bill https:///SItAcV45gP #NoToSocialMediaBill
Re: The Social Media Clampdown Bill...as Nigeria Returns To Dictatorship by zoneboy: 1:05pm On Dec 04, 2015
Please sign and retweet this online petition on social media bill https:///SItAcV45gP #NoToSocialMediaBill

(1) (Reply)

Predict Jail Time For Dasuki And Dopkesi And Win 2016 Toyota Camry 2016. / Oyegun To Faleke: Audu Abubakar's Death Shut You Out / See What Linda Ikeji Said About Her Allegedly Collecting #240m From #dasukigate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.