Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,696 members, 7,979,342 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 06:51 AM

The Real Warri (with Pictures) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Real Warri (with Pictures) (44010 Views)

A Dangerous Trip To Maiduguri On A Relief Mission with Pictures-Femi Owolabi / Trailer Full Of Motor Bikes Hijacked By Katsina Indigenes (With Pictures) / Election Results With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by tkovie2002(m): 10:59pm On May 31, 2009
@papabrowne
Thanks very much for the pictures you posted. I always planned to do something like this but I never had enough time to, Thanks once again for displaying the "main warri" in its true colours.

For those of you that think I don't know what I am talking about when i said "true colours", I would like to let you know that i was born, brought up, schooled in warri and I still live in warri main town (Okumagba Layout to be precise). I have seen every bit of warri right from when I was born, to the crisis, to the great outburst in 1999-2002 and the present situation. i never schooled outside warri except for my Higher Institution.

Truthfully, there was a time warri was like a desert where most of the houses there had gone down by fire during the crisis, when men walked with their hands raised up, and were thoroughly searched by soldiers almost at every junction. but that is the past and its never going to happen again as most of the houses have been rebuilt to modern standard and warri looks much better than many places in Nigeria.

When I was in Lagos, i asked most people (lagosians) what they think of Warri. To my surprise, they think we live in houses built on water, we have no electricity, we have no good water, and 95% of waffarians (or should I say Deltans) are un-educated, kidnapping takes place everyday and in the streets. But I would like to use this opportunity to let the entire Nairaland know that in Delta, we have very educated people and there is hardly any school in this country where you wont find someobdy from Delta (even in those that speak hausa) and kidnapping take place only in the creeks.

OneNaija:

The picture are not true that the fact. I was born there and I recently visit there before December the hole place is mess up. Why not show us Enerhen Junction.Inside warri. that estate is Army barrack not inside Warri.that water flow is Effuren Roundabout Why not show us inside Effurun.Show us downtown inside warri and eviron. stop fooling peoples here

As for the guy who says these pics are not true because he visited Warri in December, I would like to proudly tell you that I was in Warri that same december and I have my own version of the roundabout picture with fountain the poster has posted. You will find it attached here. To confirm the genuity there is another one of a tall christmas tree which was placed at every round about in Warri during the christmas season which looks very much like the one with the fountain.

And as for the guy who asks to see pics of Enerhen junction, Iyara, Okere etc. i would like to let you know that the same Enerhen Junction that you couldnt walk in broad day light is as bright as Las Vegas at night. With dualized roads and streetlights on each lane on the road you can be sure Warri can't be compared with many cities in Nigeria.

As for the Iyara area you need to be informed that the Warri city stadium where they have been playing International football matches is just a stone throw from Iyara. So, it is very developed but unfortunately I can't get you pictures of that place since I have a very short time to stay In Warri as I have to go back to school.

As for the Okere area, a lot of burning took place there during the crisis but I would like inform you too that Okere is now very developed with all roads dualized, double lane street lights and even lights in minor streets which are solar powered. Also for your information, Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan's house is on the road beside Okere Market (Ajamimogha).

As for the Inner part of effurun, somebody just testified here that he/she stayed in Tegaton Hotel, which is located in Jakpa road, main effurun.

Warri is a beautiful place and no one can deny that. As for the hostage takings and the rest, they happen in the riverine areas and not even in main warri, they happen in the creeks, all we hear are gunshots and explosions.

My own 2 Kobo.

Area!!

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by BenHundred(m): 4:04am On Jun 01, 2009
I would like to visit Warri and see whats so "different" about the place.
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by nature262(m): 6:28am On Jun 01, 2009
I was in warri this april, did'nt really saw those pix 4 real but saw wellinton hotel, some good streetlights and d taxi but nothing so special. wait til u see PHC
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by SeanT21(f): 6:32am On Jun 01, 2009
I was watching a funny Nigerian comedian called BASKETMOUTH and he was talking about some place called Warri.I was watching more Nigerian stand up comedies and they always mentioned WARRI.I just thought it was an interesting place in NIGERIA.

NICE and BEAUTIFUL PICS!!**MORE WILL BE APPRECIATED
wink
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by smasher1(m): 6:49am On Jun 01, 2009
For any doubting Thomases, This is The True Face of Delta(State). The pix are real and OneNaija knows it unless he was not in Warri by December. I was there then, before and after. I came, I saw. Warri is beautiful and all the major roads are dualised. There are only few major roads lacking 12 hours street light. Other towns are also dualised like Asaba, Oghara, Ughelli etc with street lights. The Federal roads in Delta round d state are also almost dualised. You have Benin-Warri express way (90 km) fully dualised. warri-Ughelli road(40 km) almost completed. Ughelli-Asaba express way(160 km) currently being constructed by d state government. Asaba-Ughelli express way with extensive street lights fully completed. On d Toyota Corolla 2008 edition taxis, there are thousands of them not only being used within towns in d state or d South South region but in all other Delta line bus parks nationwide.eg Lagos. @ Asaba u can board d taxi for as low as 20 naira. Though I have stayed all my life in Lagos I'm personally relocating to Warri for all d right reasons. D current crises is restricted to a small part of d creeks in one out of d 25 local government area namely Warri South West L.G.A 200 km from d city of Warri and not a reason 4 Warri not 2 be used as d venue for d World Cup. Area! Me Hail O!
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by ThinkRait: 8:22am On Jun 01, 2009
Good people of Nigeria.

When we rebrand, we show the world our good side, just the positives. Delta state is being rebranded. Some of the comments on this thread are really cool.
I've lived in Warri, PHC, Katsina, Kaduna and Abuja. I currently reside in Lagos. If I want to have fun, Warri is the place. If I want to make money Lagos and maybe PHC. If I want to research on poverty and ghost workers, Katsina wont be a bad place to start. If I want to loot and stash, Abuja!!

Every city has its slums, Warri is no different.
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by Vee0906: 10:03am On Jun 01, 2009
Welldone Papa Browne, Indeed warri is nowhere near what is being portrayed in the media. As your rightly said, the creeks are far from the town and not associated in anyway.

I too had this impression but then I had to work on my project at PTI Effurun, stayed at 2 different hotels, PTI conference ; which I must say has the best barbecued fish I ever had! and GODATIN hotel. I also got to check out the boutiques at Okumagba close etc. and for a girl who loves shopping , this was wonderful.

PTI: Petroleum Training Institute (now a university) boasts of better facilities than the university I graduated from and well grounded Lecturers and students with an admirable passion.

The town is beautiful, roads are good, I visited the Shell estate and every where was entirely opposite to what I had expected!
Kudos to you once again, Let people know, that its a beautiful Place.

CHeers
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by aronkymega: 10:05am On Jun 01, 2009
Is this truly how the whole of warri is.lets see the other side of WArri and compare the good,the bad and the ugly
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by kshow1(m): 10:11am On Jun 01, 2009
Pally, with these pics i guess warri is far different from an outsiders perpective. we were all thinkikng warri is a place where every man carries a AK47 rifle. i was once invited to come to warri but gladly turned down the offer but next time i will show.

Meanwhile can you please post some pics from the creeks ? grin grin
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by ronkeenuf(f): 10:27am On Jun 01, 2009
I'm quite impressed by what I've seen and would like to see more. Yeah, its true that every city has its slums, even the Great Britain has areas that she can't boast of just like the US of A but WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT WARRI COULD BE THIS BEAUTIFUL after all we've heard in the news and from commedians. Big ups to Warri and all proud wafferians.
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by gentle(m): 10:55am On Jun 01, 2009
Come see men dey speak their mind, anywhichway sha una too much,but there is something i'll like to correct, warri is a city in 9ja,and just like anyoda citiez it must have the gud,bad and the ugly, so for those thinking thats those pic ain't real,why do you think so? Warri is now beautiful take it or leave it. AREA!!
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by RuuDie(m): 12:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
Well. . . . . the poster has good intentions for sure!

Warri isn't that bad - not as good as the pictures but certainly not as bad as the stories we hear. Most of the fighting is in the swamps and creeks - yep, some onshore kidnapping and criminal activity but the bulk of it is out in the riverine areas.

The oil producing companies have helped a great deal in sanitizing the city; they've actually assisted in putting some sanity into some of the wildest criminals in the city - just pay a visit to any of the oil facilities of the shores of Warri and you'll have an idea what i mean.

Warri does have its bad spots; but not as bad as people make it out to be!
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by DrLorenz1(m): 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2009
Now now now. I wonder why people take Warri as a very dangerous place. Even those that stay in PHC and comes to Warri knows that Warri is changing. I've lived in Warri all my life and i can vouch for those pictures. There are the good and bad sides in Warri, just like very other city. Whenever i go to Lagos, my cousins always want to know how Warri is. When i tell them it's not bad at all they're surprised.

As for the crises, i'll let you know that when there was crises those days, i never heard a single gun shot where i lived (i live in Effurun). This recent crises, those of us in Warri actually have to read the newspapers and listen to news before we know what's happening. If Warri was a dangerous place would we do that? The media is the worst information giver when it comes to Warri, especially the Newspapers.

Someone in here said we should come check PHC. PHC is a place i can't stay. The trouble there is constant. I asked a friend of mine in PHC how the place was and he said "Bombs everywhere", and that's what you don't hear in Warri. I met someone from Lagos a couple of days ago, and he said like twice that he would like to settle here in Warri.

So all the Lagosians and Port Harcourt-ians, truth is, Warri is changing, and its obvious!
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by RuuDie(m): 2:13pm On Jun 01, 2009
But make we talk true oh. . . . . e get some kain hood wey pesin no fit waka anyhow enter sha!
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by demowo: 2:53pm On Jun 01, 2009
I did my Nysc in warri, and those pictures are liers. Let me analysis the pics:

1) The airport pics is not even for the govt, the airport is owed by shell, and only 1airliner was landing there when i was in warri
2) Round abouts are the only good things about warri
3)Warri Shell estate, nobody is allowed inside those estate, infact only 2% of the people living in the warri have seen the inside of that estate.
4) The taxi, am sure is Govt people that wouls snatch it one by one, cos noboy have seen them work or pick people or moving like its picking up at all.
5) Prodeco estate is mainly for chevron workers, and only rich people go to that estate, after they check u before u go in. have been in the estate its nice, but its not the place for normal warri people, most people in warri dont even know its there. and its been there since forever. beside that its a private estate for oil workers.
6) the cheap But cool estate is one of those 650k-750k a year house, and they re like 3 beds so not so cheap, also most real warri people dont knw of the estate, cos they dont go there.
7)The only REAL picture there is the warri at night. there are nice places in warri but it is not as nice as u make it look, show people Enheren Junction, Ogbeh Ijoh Waterside, Okere Market, Odion Road, hausa area, etceta,the only nice thing the govt has been doing is roads SO STOP LIEING

i served in Warri South Local Govt, and lived in Ogunu, just by shell estate, show them Ogunu, the people are not to happy and they live and look into shell estates its like 2 worlds, shell has light 24hrs a day and ogunu shares fence with them and they hardly have light, thats a federal problem.

WARRI IS SAFE THOU, ALL THE JIST ABOUT IT NOT BEEN SAFE IS A LIE, THE PEOPLE HAVE SERIOUS PROVERTY MENTALITY.
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by Rogo: 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ POSTER
ALL THESE PICTURES ARE NOT BORN AGAIN
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by Rockie: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2009
How una dey,

I used to live in PH until last month when i moved down to Lagos, i'm a frequent traveller on the PHC - lagos route. I want to say the best part of the journey is usually the Warri-Benin road, this road could be compared to anywhere in the world. Though after Okada junction to Ore is another matter entirely.

Up Waffi, warri no dey carry last.
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 7:42pm On Jun 01, 2009
[size=18pt]please lets talk with pictures, post more pictures pleaassee guys![/size]
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by Pepeye(f): 7:56pm On Jun 01, 2009
Would appreciate more pic pls
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by dgreatrock(m): 8:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
continue giving us all you know about warfi. spare no detail
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by OneNaija(m): 10:31pm On Jun 01, 2009
warri i know so far

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 10:38pm On Jun 01, 2009
@oneNaija, dats a good one, we need more pix,

i was in warri early this year, i didnt spend more than a week there but it was enough time to know dat warri is quite a small town, I also noticed that warri lacks high rise buildings like some other major cities, The warri i met was quite peaceful sha, and neet,
I stayed in airport road area during my visit, but i made sure i went round b4 traveling back to my zone,

sorry i have no pictures shocked
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by OneNaija(m): 10:44pm On Jun 01, 2009
warri

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by OneNaija(m): 10:52pm On Jun 01, 2009
Warri

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 11:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
warrrrrrrrrriiii

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 11:19pm On Jun 01, 2009

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 11:21pm On Jun 01, 2009

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 11:27pm On Jun 01, 2009
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by babake81(m): 11:28pm On Jun 01, 2009

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by PapaBrowne(m): 11:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
Pepeye:

Would appreciate more pic pls

I have a couple more. I'll keep uploading as time/availability permits.

To all those that love the pics and love Warri!!  I hail o!
For those that posted pics, thanks a lot, post more if you have.
To the cynics, I appreciate!

But sincerely, why should anyone ask me to upload ugly pictures? Why would I want 2 waste camera space taking ugly pics.
Warri is getting more and more beautiful by the day as new hotels, supermarkets, fast food outlets etc continue to dot the landscape!

@Pepeye
You taught me something cool and I appreciate it. Don't ask what!
Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by PapaBrowne(m): 12:15am On Jun 02, 2009
More pics

Re: The Real Warri (with Pictures) by PapaBrowne(m): 12:43am On Jun 02, 2009
a few more

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu Votes In Lagos / James Kingsley: Soldiers Gun Down Colleague Who Killed OC Ukachuckwu In Sokoto / Official Portrait Of Vp-elect, Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.