Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:44 AM

Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill (854 Views)

You Have No Power To Summon Me, Sagay Tells Senate / Dino Melaye To Senate: "I Changed My Name & I Am Ready To Tender The Affidavit" / Senate To Strip Buhari Of Power Of Assent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by ijustdey: 7:14pm On Dec 07, 2015
By Levinus Nwabughiogu

ABUJA – President Mohammadu Buhari Monday distanced himself from the proposed Social Media Bill currently being debated in the senate seeking to restrict Nigerians from “criticizing”, political and public office holders.
The president stated that the principle of the bill was inconsistent with democratic ideals free speech enshrined in the constitution of the land.
He added that he had sworn to protect and uphold the dictates of the constitution and would not in anyway go against it.

Speaking through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, president Buhari however stated that “he is not averse to lawful regulation, so long as that is done within the ambit of the constitution which he swore to uphold.

According him, free speech was central to democratic societies anywhere in the world.
“The President won’t assent to any legislation that may be inconsistent with the constitution of Nigeria”, he said.

He further explained that without free speech, elected representatives won’t be able to gauge public feelings and moods about governance issues.

“As a key component of democratic principles are so emotionally attached to free speech that they would defend it with all their might”, he said.

Malam Garba Shehu explained that President Buhari was fully aware of the public reservations about the proposed legislation but assured that there was no cause for alarm “because the Senate is a democratic senate.
The bill however has passed second reading in the senate.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/buhari-tells-senate-i-wont-assent-social-media-bill/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by Bambless1(m): 7:18pm On Dec 07, 2015
Confused Senators!!! Doing The Wrong Thing At The Right Time.

Bunch Of Ewu!!!
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by emerged01(m): 7:19pm On Dec 07, 2015
Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by Tunami(m): 7:22pm On Dec 07, 2015
hmmmm, he's claiming saint, any we've heard him

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by Tunami(m): 7:22pm On Dec 07, 2015
hmmmm, he's claiming saint, anyway we've heard him
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by Khd95(m): 7:24pm On Dec 07, 2015
Freedom after speech nko
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by shachris02: 7:26pm On Dec 07, 2015
Buhari is playing politics. grin He Don sign that bill finish. .
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by hinwazaka: 7:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
If the President, does not sign that bill, then Nigerians should get ready for the never ending fuel scarcity. They will trek and trek, till their sandals will turn to flip-flops. Very soon, we will corrupt the transport unions to inflate the transport fares to the roof. The President must sign that bill, and SowOLE, must rot in jail.
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by saint047(m): 7:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
keep deceiving the gullible

1 Like

Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by criminalmindz: 7:29pm On Dec 07, 2015
Lies
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by RockMaxi: 7:33pm On Dec 07, 2015
That sinator without dress and social sense needs to be recalled.
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by nduchucks: 7:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
Sensible response from a sensible leader.

The aggrieved should suit bloggers for libel as they see fit, we don't need any new laws. embarassed
Re: Buhari Tells Senate: I Won’t Assent Social Media Bill by Mynd44: 7:42pm On Dec 07, 2015

(1)

NIMASA N13billion Fraud : Controversy As Itsekiri Moves To Petition EFCC / See Photos Of President Buhari's Birthday Cakes / A Letter To Mynd44 A Yoruba And An Apc Supporter / Nairaland Moderator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.