Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,901 members, 7,933,323 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 01:53 AM

Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) (3009 Views)

Oldest Woman In Benue Dies At 122 (Photo) / Oldest Woman In Rivers State Dies At The Age Of 134 (Photo) / Oldest Woman In Benue Dies At 120 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Chumani(f): 12:13am On Dec 09, 2015
Sickle-cell disease (SCD), also known as sickle–cell anaemia (SCA), is a hereditary blood disorder, caused by an abnormality in the oxygen-carrying protein haemoglobin found in red blood cells leading to a propensity for the cells to assume an abnormal, rigid, sickle-like shape under certain circumstances.

Alhaja Asiata Onikoyi-Laguda, is believed to be the oldest sickle cell patient in the world. She celebrated her 90th birthday November 1, 2015, an achievement that is clearly in defiance of science. She was born in November 1925, at a time when the average life expectancy of people living with sickle cell disorder was just 5years and today older than all known (documented) sickle cell patients in the world.

According to a New York times report, in modern times, the life expectancy for these patients can reach 50 years and over. In 2013 alone, 176,000 people lost their lives to sickle cell disease, most of them aged 21 years and under.

Born to AbdulYekeen Ishola Onikoyi, a prince of the Onikoyi ruling house, and Aishat Alake Onikoyi from Kudeti, Ibadan,she is the second of four children.

Due to the level of illiteracy at her time, she was never diagnosed as a sickle cell patient although she suffered terrible pains, which could not allow her attend school, till she was aged12. All through her primary education, she struggled hard and later proceeded to Queens College where she met her husband Bolaji Alakija, who went on to become a doctor.

He treated her for sickle cell, but never revealed much to her about her condition, which was how it was in those days.

Despite that, she had outlived her two late husbands, her parents and her siblings.
She is under no dietary restrictions whatsoever:
eats salt, eggs, meat, sugar, fried food, etc as
she likes.

Her blood pressure hovering around 160/90.
Onikoyi who is a devout Muslim has performed the holy pilgrimage to Mecca thirteen times and Umrah half a dozen times. She observed the annual 30-day Ramadhan fast until she was over 88 and pressured to discontinue by her children

She reads Bible, Quran everyday with glasses but
moves around without glasses.
She takes public transport in Lagos. if you have lived in Lagos you can attest that you will need all the stamina and strength for the hustle and bustle in getting transport.

She gave birth to six children, all by normal delivery. When only son passed away in August 2014 aged 59, she accepted the will of Allah but prayed, “ Please let the rest of the children you gave me outlive me.”

Every year in sub Saharan Africa, more than
300,000 children are born with the sickle cell
disease.

You can read more about her tremendous life in
Sickle Cell Disease Journal.

Be inspired.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Cutehector(m): 12:23am On Dec 09, 2015
Misspicy do u hav any idea what gbenu e soun means?
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Chumani(f): 12:29am On Dec 09, 2015
Cutehector:

lol
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Monalisa185(f): 12:48am On Dec 09, 2015
wow....isn't God wonderful? 90 years and still counting...
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by misspicy(f): 4:46am On Dec 09, 2015
Cutehector:

shutup/keep quiet/shutdfckup grin
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by PresVA: 6:54am On Dec 09, 2015
"She celebrated her 90th birthday November 1, 2015, an achievement that is clearly in defiance of science. She was born in November 1925, at a time when the average life expectancy of people living with sickle cell disorder was just 5years and today older than all known (documented) sickle cell patients in the world."

^^^^^^ God is indeed bigger than any science. Most wonderful God. .. kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Mariecakes(f): 9:04am On Dec 09, 2015
If God be for you, who/what can be against you
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by 2tanG0: 3:12pm On Dec 09, 2015
yes ooo God is bigger than any science
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Sharon6(f): 4:02am On Dec 10, 2015
Continue to live and enjoy LIFE mama.

My great grandmum also lived with sickle cell and she died at 120years. Keep on keeping on MAMA!!!

Please check my signature.
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by baby124: 4:09am On Dec 10, 2015
In countries with little sense, her genes will be studied to help treat sickle cell. But...

1 Like

Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:30am On Dec 10, 2015
I cannot count how many friends I've lost to sickle cell anemia cry
God rest their souls.
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Beremx(f): 8:32am On Dec 10, 2015
lucky her.
happy birthday mama
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by chris4gold(m): 8:47am On Dec 10, 2015
imagine what she might have gone through in term of crisis...
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 10, 2015
Sai Baba
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by Godmother(f): 12:48pm On Dec 10, 2015
God is indeed great and she has a strong will to live. I can't imagine what she must have passed through.
Re: Meet The Nigerian Oldest Woman With Sickle Cell In The World At 90 Yrs (Photos) by kputus: 5:18pm On Dec 10, 2015
chris4gold:
imagine what she might have gone through in term of crisis...
My mother lives with sickle cell and she is above 50yrs. She suffered as a child. She was given all sort of things as treatment. She even had a special pot for snake meat. sometimes during crises, they will tie her upper arms and legs very tight with rafia and keep her on a mat outside the house or put her in a big basin of hot water. The woman suffer no be small. Na only she go find out her problem wen she grow older and don tire for the matter.

(1) (Reply)

Household Items For Sale In Abuja - All Brand New / I Don’t Know Why My Dad Doesn’t Like Me / His Wife Refused To Kiss Him Because She Is Observing Fasting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.