Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,644 members, 7,892,613 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! (1017 Views)

I Resisted Pressure To Charge Buhari With Certificate Forgery - Adoke / Any Attempt To Impeach Buhari Will Be Resisted As It Was Done In Turkey–APC Govs / Why FG Suspended Comptroller General Of Immigration – Femi Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by Validated: 4:25pm On Dec 09, 2015
In removing tolling in 2003, Obasanjo advanced the following reasons:

i. The N63 million which the toll gates generated daily was nothing to write home about.
ii. The toll gates constituted inconvenience to motorists and encouraged corruption.
iii. Toll gates had been known to record serious vehicular accidents while portions of roads near many of them were full of pot holes.

To ensure continuous road maintenance, the Federal Government introduced the petroleum tax of N1.50k per litre. So for every litre of fuel bought at the pump, Nigerians pay a flat tax of N1.50. As at December 2012, Nigerians were consuming average 39.66 million litres of Petroleum Motor Spirit (PMS). http://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-consumes-39-66m-litres-petrol-daily-2/. Now the estimated daily consumption has hit 40.32 million for PMS alone, not including diesel. So daily on fuel government is receiving N60.5 Million as Petroleum tax on PMS. AGO consumption is estimated to be about half of PMS consumption. That puts the daily Petroleum tax at N30.25 Million (estimated).
So, in total, FG rakes in about N91 Million as Petreum tax daily. For a year, this translates to a whopping N33.2 Billion.

Question for Fashola, Buhari and APC FG is where is the Petroleum Tax going into We complained that PDP was stealing, believing that APC would be more transparent, yet, you have so far proven to be worse.

Fellow Nigerians, this is not the time for party or tribal persuasion. Let us ask questions. Government the world over are accountable to the people. It is only in Nigeria that government wakes up introduce one form of tax, then wait for the people to get use to it and rename it in another format. Just like the dying #SocialmediaBill, let us join the fight to stop this obnoxious re-introduction of Tolls on our roads.

2 Likes

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by warrior01: 4:31pm On Dec 09, 2015
What is fraudulent about tolling major highways to generate funds for its maintenance? Are you not tired of all these potholes and gullies called roads in this 21st century in Nigeria. If tolling will make the highways to be properly maintained then so be it. The money spent of shock absorbers, arms, bushings et al will minimize talkless of the precious man hours that will be saved.

Next should be the removal of subsidy.

3 Likes

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by Validated: 4:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
warrior01:
What is fraudulent about tolling major highways to generate funds for its maintenance? Are you not tired of all these potholes and gullies called roads in this 21st century in Nigeria. If tolling will make the highways to be properly maintained then so be it. The money spent of shock absorbers, arms, bushings et al will minimize talkless of the precious man hours that will be saved.

What happens to the N1.50 per litre Petroleum tax government collects? Would it not amount to double taxation. Give me a better arguement.
Not even sure you read the post!

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by Topleague(m): 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2015
if you want to drive in a nice and clean road you ought to pay for it my friend, that is the best practice all over the world. No more free things

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by warrior01: 4:41pm On Dec 09, 2015
Validated:

What happens to the N1.50 per litre Petroleum tax government collects? Would it not amount to double taxation. Give me a better arguement.

Bro, leave that thing. If that will bring the highly needed succor especially at this end time, I'm in for it

2 Likes

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by oduastates: 4:46pm On Dec 09, 2015
I'm with Fashola on this one. My only grouse is the THE SW will pick up the largest tab.The refusal to pay taxes elsewhere is the reason why almost every other aspect of Nigerian life is taxed.

Stop voting for idiits

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by warrior01: 4:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
oduastates:
I'm with Fashola on this one. My only grouse is the THE SW will pick up the largest tab.The refusal to pay taxes elsewhere is the reason why almost every other aspect of Nigerian life is taxes.
Stop voting for idiitts

With the exception of a minute few, are they not all id!ots?
Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by warrior01: 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
oduastates:
I'm with Fashola on this one. My only grouse is the THE SW will pick up the largest tab.The refusal to pay taxes elsewhere is the reason why almost every other aspect of Nigerian life is taxes.
Stop voting for idiitts

Imagine a 55 years old independent nation with almost zero infrastructure in the time and age? Is a little bit indisposed, at home now with no power. What a nation!

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by drss(m): 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
Hahahahahahhaha cheesy dem voted for change. Make dem enjoy dem change. Zoogerians will suffer heavy n multiple taxation under dis dispensation sotey change no go remain for dem pockets.
*dashes to d kitchen to cook jollof rice*
Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by Nobody: 5:14pm On Dec 09, 2015
warrior01:

Its obvious you didn't read or you deliberately ignored the highlighted piece of information below from the OP.

To ensure continuous road maintenance, the Federal Government introduced the petroleum tax of N1.50k per liter. So for every liter of fuel bought at the pump, Nigerians pay a flat tax of N1.50. As at December 2012, Nigerians were consuming average 39.66 million liters of Petroleum Motor Spirit (PMS). http://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-consumes-39-66m-litres-petrol-daily-2/. Now the estimated daily consumption has hit 40.32 million for PMS alone, not including diesel. So daily on fuel government is receiving N60.5 Million as Petroleum tax on PMS. AGO consumption is estimated to be about half of PMS consumption. That puts the daily Petroleum tax at N30.25 Million (estimated).
So, in total, FG rakes in about N91 Million as Petroleum tax daily. For a year, this translates to a whopping N33.2 Billion.

Where are the proceeds from the Petroleum tax generated funds from the day OBJ led Federal Government introduced the petroleum tax of N1.50k per liter - 1st week of December 2015 and will the tax be abolished thereby reducing the cost in pump price at the gas stations or is it gonna be a combination of both the taxing and the tolling?
Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by banki(m): 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
I love it when people who always critisize buhari come out and shamelessly say "this is not the change we voted for"

So it's now a crime to put tolls because pdp critics say so...

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by jumboo: 5:17pm On Dec 09, 2015
byrron:

Its obvious you didnt read the piece of information from the OP, you would have come across the highlighted extracts below.

To ensure continuous road maintenance, the Federal Government introduced the petroleum tax of N1.50k per liter. So for every liter of fuel bought at the pump, Nigerians pay a flat tax of N1.50. As at December 2012, Nigerians were consuming average 39.66 million liters of Petroleum Motor Spirit (PMS). http://thenationonlineng.net/nigeria-consumes-39-66m-litres-petrol-daily-2/. Now the estimated daily consumption has hit 40.32 million for PMS alone, not including diesel. So daily on fuel government is receiving N60.5 Million as Petroleum tax on PMS. AGO consumption is estimated to be about half of PMS consumption. That puts the daily Petroleum tax at N30.25 Million (estimated).
So, in total, FG rakes in about N91 Million as Petroleum tax daily. For a year, this translates to a whopping N33.2 Billion.

Where are the proceeds from the Petroleum tax generated funds from 2012 - 1st week of December 2015 and will the tax be abolished thereby reducing the cost in pump price at the gas stations or is it gonna be a combination of both the taxing and the tolling?

The latest Petrol pricing template is here: http://pppra.gov.ng/pricing-template-pms-2/

Look closely and you will see fuel tax as 0 naira. You are not paying any tax on fuel. This has been so for years!!!

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 09, 2015
jumboo:

The latest Petrol pricing template is here: http://pppra.gov.ng/pricing-template-pms-2/

Look closely and you will see fuel tax as 0 naira. You are not paying any tax on fuel. This has been so for years!!!

You are referring me to a Price Template of – 8/12/2015 ( Just a day ago template shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked)

Can you please post the Price template starting from when the OBJ led Federal Government introduced the petroleum tax of N1.50k per liter till 7/12/2015 or do you want me to assume its been like this since the day OBJ himself bulldozed the toll gates and instituted the extra 1.50k per liter tax which was the reason giving for getting rid of the toll gates?

Just like the OP stated in his post, this is not the time for party or tribal persuasion. Let us ask questions, Government world over are accountable to the people.

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by chernest2002: 5:31pm On Dec 09, 2015
Legal robbery you shall call it not double taxation
Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by ahaz: 5:58pm On Dec 09, 2015
Validated:

op are you expecting apc e-hypocrites to read ur post? meeen ure barking at the wrong three.
This lots have proggrammed their silly brains to accept anything from apc as good without questions..this are the hypocrites forming patriotic nigerians in the last regime ooo.
Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by ahaz: 6:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
jumboo:

i guess you are three years old when abacha was in power.ask ur dad the reason why abacha increased the pump price of fuel and introduced the popular ptf which ur president headed.
If your dad is too busy to tell u the truth you come hack and i will tell you, what you need to know.
Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by Sunofgod(m): 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
The biggest scam is the fact that in most countries when the cost of a barrel of oil falls, the 'pump price' falls.

Nigerians should not be paying more than N40 per litre but unfortunately ignorance is rife!

The tolls gate are being introduced because of this ignorance!

1 Like

Re: Why FG Toll Intention Is F-R-A-U-D-U-L-E-N-T And Should Be Resisted!!! by MIKOLOWISKA: 3:30am On Dec 10, 2015
Validated:

So for your mind 45million Naira daily will solve our road problem ba?na so you go know ppl when no de drive long distance and are used to the suffering on our roads.good soup na moni kill am.go see lekki road you will understand better.once they build it you can continue following the free alternative route with pothole and tankers

(1) (Reply)

Ex-president Jonathan To Open Talks With Buhari Over Arms Deal Scandal / Fuel Subsidy Controlled By Demons – Tinubu / See Photo Of Buhari With The No-nonsense Customs Boss, Hammed Ali In The 80's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.