Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,471 members, 7,881,639 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 05:24 AM

7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World (1270 Views)

"My Life Changed The Day I Got A Call From Davido"- Mayorkun,more Photos Of Vibe / Michael Okon Impregnated Married Woman & Got A Daughter - Stella Dimoko Korkus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 11:15am On Dec 10, 2015
We would have remembered him if it was just the songwriting or just the dancing or just the eyebrow-raising fashion. But Michael Jackson dominated each of those artistic avenues - and so many others.
You see his influence in every Justin Timberlake who sweats to perfect a signature move. Every movie-esque flourish in a video. Every African-American artist who sits atop the pop charts.
His legacy is as enduring as it is multi-faceted.
1. Sound
When America first met Jackson, he was a lovable, pint-sized pre-teen with a puffy Afro and an electric voice.
Through the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s, Jackson held onto the earnestness he had as the frontman of the Jackson Five. Back then, it was impossible to hate Jackson. He was just so likable. When he sang "We are the ones who make a brighter day / So let's start giving" in "We Are the World," you believed him.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 11:16am On Dec 10, 2015
2. Dance
No one moved like Michael Jackson. But everyone wanted to.
Music might have made him a star, but from the blunt sexuality of the crotch grabs, to the laser-sharp spins, snaps and pivots, to the mesmerizing group choreography spotlighted in his videos, to, of course, the otherworldly impossibility that was his moonwalk, dance launched Jackson into the stratosphere.
He might not have invented the moonwalk, but he might as well have. When the world watched him gliding like that for the first time, black loafers moving across the stage with liquid smoothness during a televised Motown Music special in 1983, no one had ever seen anything like it.
How many teenagers spent how many hours dragging their stockinged feet across carpeted bedroom floors, trying to master that illusion but remaining, alas, hopelessly earthbound?
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 11:16am On Dec 10, 2015
3. Fashion
The single, white, sequined glove. The red leather jacket with so many zippers. The pegged pants. The fedora. The bedazzled military coats.
Like everything Jackson, his look was a precise exercise straddling desirability and eccentricity. Everybody wanted that leather jacket he wore in the Beat It video, but who, save Jackson, could pull off a solitary, spangled glove?
The Jheri curls? Maybe not. The mirrored sunglasses? Definitely.
He outfitted himself to show off his moves. Black shoes with glittering white socks? He knew no one could ignore feet turned out like that.
In regal coats with epaulets and rhinestone regalia, he was the King of Pop who dressed for the job.
4. Videos
When Jackson's full-length Thriller video was set to debut following an orgy of hype on MTV in late 1983, people wrote it on their calendars. They stayed home just to see it. The most expensive video ever made at the time, it was essentially a cinematic experience, a nearly 15-minute long mini-movie, a happening.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 11:17am On Dec 10, 2015
5. Influence
Like Elvis and Bob Dylan before him, Jackson reshaped pop culture in ways that are hard to comprehend. Jackson influenced just about every musician who came after him in one way or another. He was unavoidable.
Baltimore-based hip-hop performer MC Saleem Heggins can't point to one specific way Jackson helped shape his music. That would almost be insulting, he said. Jackson was much broader than that, and his legacy is almost impossible to pin down.
"For me, he was the largest figure in music," Heggins said. "I was inspired and entertained by his ability to reach all walks of life. ... It's a legacy of creating great music that appeals to people without compromising yourself."
6. Celebrity
This week as the world mourned Jackson, a CNN commenter wondered if there has ever been anyone on the planet with a more recognized name.
Maybe not.
He was a superstar, but a superstar whose eccentricities drove one tabloid headline after another. His marriages. His monkey. His plastic surgeries.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 11:17am On Dec 10, 2015
7. Race
Before Billie Jean, MTV hadn't played a black artist. They weren't "rock" enough, the channel's executives said.
But as Thriller became the top-selling album of all-time, and its corresponding videos all but made MTV, Jackson soundly broke that color barrier.
Jackson's appeal became near-universal, a sound as inescapable on white suburban boomboxes as it was in urban dance clubs.
Still, the idea of racial harmony played out throughout Jackson's career. He teamed with Paul McCartney in the 1980s for the singles "Say, Say, Say" and "The Girl is Mine," and years later, even as his own blackness seemed to be literally fading away as his skin tone became ever lighter, he sang: "If you're thinking about my baby it don't matter if you're black or white."
"His catalog revolves around love, around African-American pride and around uplifting all people," says Eric Byrd, a music lecturer at McDaniel College. "He was trying to tell people we can do better as a human family. "cc lalasticlala,seun,dominique.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 11:23am On Dec 10, 2015
HE lives forever, the greatest musician in the history of mankind and the most famous man in the history of mankind, "MICHEAL I WILL FOREVER LOVE YOU. "cc lalasticlala
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by Karleb(m): 11:24am On Dec 10, 2015
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by saintfellow(m): 11:31am On Dec 10, 2015
WOW!! absolutely spot on, nice one @op. this is probably the best celebrity thread i have seen this year. "i hope lalasticlala do justice to it.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by Princeparix(m): 12:13pm On Dec 10, 2015
He also changed the world when he died - 12 people dying with him.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by nwaanambra1(m): 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2015
HE IS SIMPLY THE MUSIC BIBLE - FOR YOU TO BE A SUPERSTAR, YOU MUST COPY ONE THING FROM HIM.
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by Aceed: 12:48pm On Dec 10, 2015
He is still the messi of music without a ronaldo grin
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 2:37pm On Dec 10, 2015
Princeparix:
He also changed the world when he died - 12 people dying with him.
what is this one typing?
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 2:37pm On Dec 10, 2015
Aceed:
He is still the messi of music without a ronaldo grin
GBAM
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 2:38pm On Dec 10, 2015
nwaanambra1:
HE IS SIMPLY THE MUSIC BIBLE - FOR YOU TO BE A SUPERSTAR, YOU MUST COPY ONE THING FROM HIM.
exactly
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by ssoftappless(m): 2:38pm On Dec 10, 2015
fellowship:
WOW!! absolutely spot on, nice one @op. this is probably the best celebrity thread i have seen this year. "i hope lalasticlala do justice to it.
LOL
Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by IamTheophilus(m): 3:58pm On Dec 10, 2015
In michael's voice #Aowl !!! Eeh ee !! He's the G.O.A.T..#grab my crotch and moonwalk out of thread.

Re: 7 Ways Michael Jackson Changed The World by tartar9(m): 7:38pm On Dec 12, 2015
8.Jacko da Pedo

(1) (Reply)

See Winners Of Three Crown Cooking Competition #cooklikemine, 2015 (photo) / See How Toke Makinwa Exposed Her Major Cleavage To An Event In Lagos(Photos) / Uti's Marriage, Nollywood Actress Sleeping With Oil Mogul & More Gossips [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.