Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,915 members, 7,883,183 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 05:22 AM

Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... (1021 Views)

Web Gurus, Please Which Blogger Template Is This Site Using? / Lets Talk About How Blogging Can Help Solve Nigeria Unemployment. / Is This Problem From My Firefox Or Google? (pic Attached) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by Webhost(m): 11:45pm On Dec 11, 2015
Now I need urgent help from php masters;

I have a table named symptoms with 2 columns (id) and (symptoms) for example

id Symptoms
1 I have an head ache
2 My anckle aches
3 My eyes hurt
4 I am vomiting once every day
5 I have an eczema

these symtopms will be on the home page in form of a question with a check box in front of each one.

Now if a user selects 1,2 and 5, nd submits, the next page will bring a message saying "you have Malaria"
1,2,4 and 5 will say "you have Typhoid"

Selecting 1 3 and 5 will say "you have Measles"

etc. I believe you get the gist. Just like a simple symptom checking app.

How do I go about this? using the table ids above?

Thanks
Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by ps3o(m): 12:44am On Dec 12, 2015
Webhost:
Now I need urgent help from php masters;

I have a table named symptoms with 2 columns (id) and (symptoms) for example

id Symptoms
1 I have an head ache
2 My anckle aches
3 My eyes hurt
4 I am vomiting once every day
5 I have an eczema

these symtopms will be on the home page in form of a question with a check box in front of each one.

Now if a user selects 1,2 and 5, nd submits, the next page will bring a message saying "you have Malaria"
1,2,4 and 5 will say "you have Typhoid"

Selecting 1 3 and 5 will say "you have Measles"

etc. I believe you get the gist. Just like a simple symptom checking app.

How do I go about this? using the table ids above?

Thanks

I'm a professional web developer. should you need help?
call/SMS/WhatsApp 07031175291
Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by DualCore1: 6:33am On Dec 12, 2015
Create a second table called "rules" with the following structure

table: rules
fields: id, symptoms, sickness

the "id" field is an auto increment field. The "symptoms" field is a varchar field that will hold a json string of all the symptoms making up one sickness, the "sickness" field will hold the name of the sickness.

So, an example of one of the data records in this new table will be:
id: 1
symptoms: ["1", "2", "5"]
sickness: malaria

You can have as many rulesets as you want like the one above with different set of symptoms and disease.

Now the processing.
On the first page, display all the symptoms as you have said with checkboxes. For reference purpose let us name your checkboxes "symptoms[]"

On the form processor, the page that handles the user request and tells the user what sickness they have... it should have this kind of flow:

//get the list of "checked" symptoms from the symptoms[] array that has come in through the form's POST data.
//now you have an array of all the checked symptoms, let's call it $user_symptoms
//do a database query of your rules table "select * from rules"
//traverse through the result of the db query discarding any rulesets that do not have the same amount of checked symptoms first, like this:

foreach(put appropriate code here depending on how you query db){
$db_symptoms = $result['symptoms'] //i am assuming your db query result has been placed into the $result array.

//now you have gotten a json formatted string of symptoms, convert this to an array
$symptoms_array = json_decode($db_symptoms, 1);

//up to this point we now have 2 arrays. The array of the checked symptoms ($user_symptoms) and that of the symptoms for each ruleset ($symptoms_array)
//next compare both arrays, if both arrays are not the same in length, discard.

if(count($symptoms_array) == count($user_symptoms)){
//both arrays are the same in length, now check to find match the two arrays, they must be exact
$match = array_diff($symptoms_array, $user_symptoms)

//if there is a match, the $match will hold an array with no elements
if(count($match) == 0){
//you have a match
echo "you dey suffer from ".$result['sickness'];
}
}
}

I hope you get the logic, others may have a better logic but do not take the option of deciding the sickness with decision constructs as opposed to creating a "rules" table. If you use decision constructs, for each sickness you want to profile you will need to write a new set if if/elseif/else block. But with my suggested method above, you just write this code once and add new sicknesses to your database without needing to write any new code.

1 Like

Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by DualCore1: 6:39am On Dec 12, 2015
ps3o:

I'm a professional web developer. should you need help?
call/SMS/WhatsApp 07031175291
Everything always has to be about the money, right? Put your passion above your profession and you won't need to advertise.

2 Likes

Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by FincoApps(m): 8:41am On Dec 12, 2015
DualCore1:

the "id" field is an auto increment field. The "symptoms" field is a varchar field that will hold a json string of all the symptoms making up one sickness, the "sickness" field will hold the name of the sickness.

You can have as many rulesets as you want like the one above with different set of symptoms and disease.

Now the processing.
On the first page, display all the symptoms as you have said with checkboxes. For reference purpose let us name your checkboxes "symptoms[]"

On the form processor, the page that handles the user request and tells the user what sickness they have... it should have this kind of flow:

//get the list of "checked" symptoms from the symptoms[] array that has come in through the form's POST data.
//now you have an array of all the checked symptoms, let's call it $user_symptoms
//traverse through the result of the db query discarding any rulesets that do not have the same amount of checked symptoms first, like this:

$db_symptoms = $result['symptoms'] //i am assuming your db query result has been placed into the $result array.

//now you have gotten a json formatted string of symptoms, convert this to an array

//up to this point we now have 2 arrays. The array of the checked symptoms ($user_symptoms) and that of the symptoms for each ruleset ($symptoms_array)

//both arrays are the same in length, now check to find match the two arrays, they must be exact

if(count($match) == 0){
//you have a match
}
}
}

I hope you get the logic, others may have a better logic but do not take the option of deciding the sickness with decision constructs as opposed to creating a "rules" table. If you use decision constructs, for each sickness you want to profile you will need to write a new set if if/elseif/else block. But with my suggested method above, you just write this code once and add new sicknesses to your database without needing to write any new code.

Nice one mehn
Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by Webhost(m): 2:52pm On Dec 12, 2015
@DualCore1, Thank you VERY MUCH. I have seen some of your previous posts, you are really good. I will try it out and update here the result. May God bless you real good.
Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by ps3o(m): 4:15pm On Dec 12, 2015
DualCore1:

Everything always has to be about the money, right? Put your passion above your profession and you won't need to advertise.
Did I ever mention money in my last post? Read in between the lines before u quote any of my posts.
Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by spikesC(m): 4:25pm On Dec 13, 2015
DualCore1:

Now the processing.

if(count($match) == 0){
//you have a match
}
}
}

Wouldn't this be an overhead? Selecting all the rules and comparing in code?
why don't he use the power of RDBMS and do a one to many relationship. Or even when using JSON, filter the results with a WHERE clause. The only problem is, he has to make sure the data is always in a predetermined format (example; symptom IDs must be in ascending order)
Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by DualCore1: 7:09pm On Dec 13, 2015
spikesC:

Wouldn't this be an overhead? Selecting all the rules and comparing in code?
why don't he use the power of RDBMS and do a one to many relationship. Or even when using JSON, filter the results with a WHERE clause. The only problem is, he has to make sure the data is always in a predetermined format (example; symptom IDs must be in ascending order)
You can tweak the code as desired or write a full snippet so he can understand.

1 Like

Re: Php/mysql Gurus, Please Help Solve This Problem... by eidesk(m): 12:38pm On Dec 14, 2015
Closed - Out of date

(1) (Reply)

I Love My Blog / HP Internal Hard Disk Drive(320gb) @ Affordable Price / Thai Lottery Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.