Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,978 members, 7,873,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:38 AM

Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. (1607 Views)

Cost Of Wood Nogging! Please I Need Help From Experts In Roofing Wood Nogging / What Types Of Slab Is These? To The Civil Engineers And Builders In The Forum. / For All Builders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by unipol(m): 1:12am On Dec 15, 2015
Hello everyone.
Firstly,i want to thank those who have taken it as a task to teach, inspire and motivate others in building a house without being scammed. i also want to thank the good people of nairaland especially the moderators and those whose job here is to expose the scammers. the only thing it takes for scammers to succeed is for non scammers to fold their hands. but the truth of the matter is that even if we expose or even catch or destroy 1000 scammers today, 2000 more are ready to come out again tomorrow. Nigeria is now a paradise for these scammers. the worst is that scammimg is fast becoming an acceptable culture in Nigeria, if not how can one explain the fact that salts and maggi have fixed prices in Europe but roofing sheets in Nigeria has no known price neither does the production companies has a clear website.
i started building my house this year. Because of past experience, i tried to go to market by myself then hand the materia over to my workers and pay them for workmanship only. untill i get to roofing. the carpinter said first alluminium is the best. then he said it should be 0.45mm metycoppo. he measured the roof to be 490.9 and said the cost of it is 1,350 naira.i noticed he put a number to call and even insisted he wants to go to market with me which i hate to do from the begining. i went to internet i got first alluminium phone no, called them and their 0.45mm metcoppo is 1450. i called another roofer this same house now measured just 350 instead of 490.9 and he also said first alluminium 0.45mm is 1375. i called the third roofer who came and measured it and said it now measured 450, and also gave us a new price for roofing sheet. it became so clear to me that roofers are scammers, otherwise how could one house has 3 different measurment and none is close to another. why are they becoming the material seller and even giving discount in products they dont own? why cant those carpimter mind their carpintery work and leave the buying of the materials for the builders. why do they sell cheaper than company?
Financial trust is something Nigerians dont have especially when it also has to do with quality. so my good people of Nairaland if you know any competent alluminium company in enugu or eastern nigeria that you know. i dont want to use any third party be it carpinter or agent. i need the contacts or adress of those competent alluminium company.
Please the Moderator can help move this so that many will learn.

4 Likes

Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by luka1981(m): 3:39pm On Dec 15, 2015
If u have got similar experience please share ur experience?
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by nogames: 4:00pm On Dec 15, 2015
Lol OP that is their way, unfortunately rooting sheet production companies work hand in hand with them, so following them to the company is not the solution. May God belp us
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by nogames: 4:01pm On Dec 15, 2015
Lol OP that is their way, unfortunately rooting sheet production companies work hand in hand with them, so following them to the company is not the solution. May God help us. I know one that was hired to roof a building, the guy told me how he made 70k from buying roofing sheets alone
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by prideofscience: 5:49pm On Dec 15, 2015
Nothing u can do when come to ALUMINIUM PRODUCTS.... tHEY MUST ADD. They can give cheaper prizes, but must have gain d money some where some how. grin

But when its comes to Stone coated u can be save from Scam. but Alus No ways grin

bUT SOME I KNEW DONT SCAM

Ur Engineer too cut ur head too cheesy
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by luka1981(m): 11:03pm On Dec 16, 2015
This rooting sheet production companies self.
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by unipol(m): 1:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
i have called the 6th roofer, it is still different, very strange that one house will have six different measured sizes and they will accuse one another of not being honest, then who is honest and how do i know?
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by luka1981(m): 10:40am On Dec 18, 2015
The 10th carpinter will soon come but dont expect any difference.
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by unipol(m): 1:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
still on the same matter?
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by unipol(m): 6:03pm On Dec 21, 2015
still on the same matter. i give it to our roofers. they are all scammers. 10 roofers no one single honest man.
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by ceasare: 10:00pm On Dec 21, 2015
Tell them d height u want your king post to be and they all must have same measurement or almost same due to off cut and all that.
Carpenters will always get discount from sellers even if they didn't follow u to d market.and don't rule out the fact that you might b sold
Imported Chinese aluminum sheets as 1st aluminum clone hence d so called reduced price.u can't beat them at their game just do your homework and make sure what They are ripping off u isn't much.... cheesy cheesy cheesy.
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 21, 2015
You can certainly beat them at their own game as long as you are devoted enough and astute enough to be your own General Contractor.

You are doing a good thing by separating materials from workmanship.

Here's what I intend to do.

1) Specifically hire a Consultant (I used the term loosely), to come in and give me calculations on the materials that I need. I will validate his measurements and calculations online on various forums. Stop asking the Fox (Roofers) to count your chickens (roof measurement).

3) Research a manufacturer and get the materials delivered to site.

4) Hire a Roofer specifically to install your proof according to your measurements. Pay him by square foot that you previously calculated and bought materials for.

I bargain hard but I also allow for a 10% budget for vendors that meet my requirements.

It is your site, your project and your money, never let anyone bamboozle you. My builder tried this earlier on but he has now resolved to just working me on fees. He originally wanted to say that he had to supply the sand at N5k more per 10ton load grin

Good luck Sir.

PS: My current issue is ensuring that I'm getting the correct tonnage of materials.
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by butterflex: 4:12am On Dec 22, 2015
what type of building is this. i see a learning opportunity here

1 Like

Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by Nobody: 7:46am On Dec 22, 2015
Here is my own contribution, I think you should consider the one with the lesser quote, I don't do roofing anyway but the honest truth is this and why most roofers quote excess is because of the end result from the woodworks it's either it requires more than what they bargained for and it's very difficult to tell your client that you will need more materials to complete the works, there is an actual size of material for each measurements you get but the roofer will have to quote in excess but shouldn't quote largely should incase the Aluminium materials won't cover the whole estimated measurements, at Thesame time some roofers are too wicked though.. Can you talk to oga Kolashangone. This is the system in our country, may God help us Thanks
Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by unipol(m): 9:32pm On Dec 22, 2015
adeekiti:
Here is my own contribution, I think you should consider the one with the lesser quote, I don't do roofing anyway but the honest truth is this and why most roofers quote excess is because of the end result from the woodworks it's either it requires more than what they bargained for and it's very difficult to tell your client that you will need more materials to complete the works, there is an actual size of material for each measurements you get but the roofer will have to quote in excess but shouldn't quote largely should incase the Aluminium materials won't cover the whole estimated measurements, at Thesame time some roofers are too wicked though.. Can you talk to oga Kolashangone. This is the system in our country, may God help us Thanks

thanks for ur contribution.

1 Like

Re: Scam In Roofing Exposed, A Must Read For All Builders. Solution Needed. by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
unipol:

thanks for ur contribution.
u are welcome sir

(1) (Reply)

Star Gardens Estate . Sangotedo / #LandsForSale Cerise Gardens (dry Plots Of Land) @ Lekki For N2.7m / 2 KITCHEN CABINET FOR A CLIENT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.