Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,243 members, 7,939,919 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 02:13 PM

Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba (6476 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by nazzyon(m): 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2009
javalove:

and so? How does this erase the fact that the OS itself is wack!!

You are right about Vista.

But if You, I and others did not test Vista and report to Microsoft do you think Service Pack 2.0 will solve the problems you complained about?

If you don't test a software, report (lodge complain or confirm its quality) to its developer, do you think he/ she will know everything.

Yahoo Mail Beta was released for user to test and complain of its problems to Yahoo, that is how they successfully improved on it.

It is true that Vista is not 100% but it is from the complains users made to Microsoft that helped them fix bugs.

Programs are designed by a programmer to satisfy the need of users and if as a user you are not contented with the end product, you can always complain to the programmer so he can know how to improve his work so he satisfy you.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 05, 2009
dominique:

i'm sure the nirtherners will find this real useful. . . .in fact, they'll prolly heave a sigh of relief.
they teach their students in hausa. i was once at the secondary school management board in Kano and i didn't hear a word of english from the staff. doesn't mean they are not educated but they prefer to read, write and speak in hausa.therefore,while the igbo and yoruba versions of vista are a complete waste of time, the hausa version would be embraced by the northerners.

as if no be english u take talk all those ^^^

u dont av to eat whatever you are offered. if it tastes good, eat, if it doesnt, leave it.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by oncolor: 9:50pm On Jun 05, 2009
It would have made more sense if they had used pidgin. There are millions of Nigerians who speak and understand pidgin but find it hard to communicate in standard English. Reading pidgin does not require any special training but reading the other languages however is a different thing even for native speakers.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by bigboyslim(m): 10:49pm On Jun 05, 2009
To all those claiming we are trying to downgrade our local languages. I love my language but we must also learn to call a spade a spade. The local languages have not evolved with technology since Nigeria hasn't been and is presently not in anyway involved in technological research and development. Hence, the local languages have remained static with no realistic additions. Like an earlier poster pointed out, how would you describe words like device driver, or random access memory or even operating system. It's like trying to build an ERP application with HTML, the language is simply not robust enough to achieve such a feat.

The better approach would be for the language to develop to a level at par with current technology then the exercise would make a lot more sense.
Otherwise, its a no no.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by oge4real(f): 10:52pm On Jun 05, 2009
concept=100%

intent=

feasibility=0%

practicability= -100%
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by nazzyon(m): 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2009
bigboyslim:

To all those claiming we are trying to downgrade our local languages. I love my language but we must also learn to call a spade a spade. The local languages have not evolved with technology since Nigeria hasn't been and is presently not in anyway involved in technological research and development. Hence, the local languages have remained static with no realistic additions. Like an earlier poster pointed out, how would you describe words like device driver, or random access memory or even operating system. It's like trying to build an ERP application with HTML, the language is simply not robust enough to achieve such a feat.

The better approach would be for the language to develop to a level at par with current technology then the exercise would make a lot more sense.
Otherwise, its a no no.

You are right.

As your language has not evolved with technology, so is English Language and other languages that are recognized.

While coding, the variable, strings, identifier and others will remain same because they are Human languages which is universally accepted by computers before they will be interpreted into machine codes.

If in Python, Java, SQL while writing a program, you Denote 12345 with the word Figures. It will have a meaning in Yoruba, Hausa, Ibo or any other Nigerian Language.

It is why we see Facebook, Hi5, others interpreted in various languages.

Please I need you to understand me.

My argument is based on one things, supporting Nigerian programmers.

Constructive criticisms are welcome too.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by slimfine(f): 1:11am On Jun 06, 2009
ezeagu:

*sigh* I hope Igbo would be complete and word have commands and such like "computer gi were error" lol

or more like "chere! chere! ihe onyi nyo a, nwere nsogbu"
ROTFLMAO grin
and facebook= ihu akwukwo grin
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by na2day2(m): 3:11am On Jun 06, 2009
u mean they did put pidgin english in there? angry angry angry angry
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by nxchanger: 8:27am On Jun 06, 2009
Have downloaded the Yoruba Pack
it WORKS OK FOR NOW,

need to be able to read Yoruba before you can use

SEE BELOW

Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by AjaraEwuro: 8:54am On Jun 06, 2009
bigboyslim:

I wonder what they hope to achieve with this. I seriously doubt the efficacy of our local languages to handle technical concepts. Also, as long as English remains the national language of instruction in schools, people would generaly feel more comfortable learning in English than in any local language. Just my 2 cents

You honestly think you can have a better idea than Microsoft? No, honestly ask yourself this question.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by AjaraEwuro: 8:56am On Jun 06, 2009
seunallday:

question pls, who has seen anybody dat is really computer literate but cannot read or write in english, good idea if it didnt cost dem dat much tho

Your thinking faculty needs to be wiped out. Even in Europe - there are Operating systems in some native languages - this is why Nigeria will never progress, never seeing anything good in anything anyone does, what is this?
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by AjaraEwuro: 8:58am On Jun 06, 2009
This is why Nigeria will never develop, anything you do, they think it in their mind, criticise it as if they can make anything near what has been made, why did God create me a Nigerian?

Microsoft packs the best brains in the world, in decision making, in everything, but you guys sit behind a computer and talk rubbish while someone's brain is working round the clock innovating stuff. You are all a load of crap, shit and goat dung.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nasogold(m): 9:17am On Jun 06, 2009
let me see the igbo version b4 I comment.
But I think it's not a bad idea for getting things in our languages.
Though illiterates cannot even read their own mother tongues in paper or screen
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by seyibrown(f): 9:24am On Jun 06, 2009
Fantastic! I wish I knew the yoruba equivalent for that!
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by binaflexia: 9:27am On Jun 06, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

This is why Nigeria will never develop, anything you do, they think it in their mind, criticise it as if they can make anything near what has been made, why did God create me a Nigeria?

Microsoft packs the best brains in the world, in decision making, in everything, but you guys sit behind a computer and talk rubbish while someone's brain is working round the clock innovating stuff. You are all a load of crap, shit and goat dung.
There is not sense in what you're saying. Just insults!
The fact that Microsoft has the best brains in the world does not mean that, they make the best decision in everything. Why do they still have numerous flaws in there programs. Try to be "a bit rational". YAM HEAD!
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by AjaraEwuro: 10:55am On Jun 06, 2009
binaflexia:

There is not sense in what you're saying. Just insults!
The fact that Microsoft has the best brains in the world does not mean that, they make the best decision in everything. Why do they still have numerous flaws in there programs. Try to be "a bit rational". YAM HEAD!

stay there, and how many people use the so called flawed product? What have you in Nigeria made? Nothing, but to put down what others have made. Shit dung in your ugly face.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by binaflexia: 11:11am On Jun 06, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

stay there, and how many people use the so called flawed product? What have you in Nigeria made? Nothing, but to put down what others have made. Shit dung in your ugly face.

It is obvious that you did not read all the replies posted on this thread. You're in thesame category with those groundless posters. Being black does not make you so stupid. YAM HEAD!
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ayodot(m): 9:01am On Jun 07, 2009
there's a general ideology that u learn faster in yo mothers language, so there shouldn't be too much problem with getting on with the the new packs. When I knew about google yoruba, I was happy, u know this type of homely filling but it's a shame foreigners are helping us to inculcate what is hows into there's and we are not even supportive running yo bad mouth as loud as possible. have change of heart.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by lekanakel(m): 9:10am On Jun 07, 2009
What about a case whereby your mother does not even understand her mother tongue? smiley
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by romeo(m): 3:44pm On Jun 07, 2009
ezeagu:

*sigh* I hope Igbo would be complete and word have commands and such like "computer gi were error" lol

Don't you think it might actually help brush up your awful igbo writing? cheesy
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 07, 2009
awesome! abeg make someone post error messages

pele o, explorer ko sise mo

what will the blue screen look like

whats yoruba for driver, hard drive, dvd cheesy
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by royalicon(m): 11:40pm On Jun 07, 2009
I install the stuff and its pretty funny.

shut down = paku
sleep mode = sun
close = pare
disconnect = seipinya

and many 'ijinle yoruba' that u have to guess along. e.g
Ran Isopo nipa I meeli =
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by seyibrown(f): 12:59am On Jun 08, 2009
Ran Isopo nipa I meeli =

That will be 'Send attachment by e-mail'.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 3:21am On Jun 08, 2009
Hey no vernacular speaking on this board! only v-i-s-t-a is allowed to speak vernacular here!

royalicon:

I install the stuff and its pretty funny.

shut down = paku
sleep mode = sun
close = pare
disconnect = seipinya

Ran Isopo nipa I meeli =

Now i wonder how they really made those stuffs so good, the yoruba i saw too are really injinle dat i had to
start crackin my brain to pieces! But why is close pare rather than pade? pare means vanish iight?
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by dsa(m): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2009
Nigerians! Nigerians!! Nigerians!!!
I sincerely pray that God will give us a change of heart in this country so that we might experience growth as an individual and as a nation.
Microsoft deemed it fit to promote our local language on national and international level wth sole aim of breaking the barrier between language and technology.

We want to see an okro seller sending mail in her local language, normadic fulani with his laptop on the farm and a perewinkle sellers operating computer in thier shops, it has worked in South Africa for their 5 local languages and about 100 languages all over the world why is ours different. I have seen many people who can read yoruba bible/books but not english.

Anyway, I am proud to be part of the translation team with some professors as moderators. Please just pass your complaints and not blame.

Very soon some other software will be released and Office suite.

In Yoruba what is the translation of Table, bread, etc, Tábìlì, búrẹ́dì etc
Some words that are yorubalised, igbolised or hausalised, are words that their meaning might be too long for programming e.g Computer, Ẹ̀rọ ayára bí àṣá too long you say.

For this localization, foreigns words that do not exist in our local languages were localized bsed on their functionality e.g Click, using meta-language for translation, though not easy.

For developers watch out, this is another concept your boss will ask you to follow very soon, because Microsoft has set the pace.

Thank you.
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by dsa(m): 10:19am On Jun 08, 2009
Check this out on facebook on the launch of LLP you can copy to you browser,

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=77169756242
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by NaijaEcash(m): 12:27pm On Jun 08, 2009
dominique:

i'm sure the nirtherners will find this real useful. . . .in fact, they'll prolly heave a sigh of relief.
they teach their students in hausa. i was once at the secondary school management board in Kano and i didn't hear a word of english from the staff. doesn't mean they are not educated but they prefer to read, write and speak in hausa.therefore,while the igbo and yoruba versions of vista are a complete waste of time, the hausa version would be embraced by the northerners.

@dominique
At least the effort will not be a waste then.

I understand that using those software will be quite difficult as it is not easy interpreting a word in English into a local language. To be candid many of us who use computer daily will find it quite difficult to operate if we are to do so using our local languages.
However, that is not a good enough reason to criticize the idea. We should give it some time to see how it plays out. Who knows something more fascinating can come out of the whole idea.
It is just a pity that keeping a dictionary by the side in order to understand the "deep version" of the local languages will be a discouraging factor. Truly, pidgin english would have done a much better job. We just have a way of figuring out what is meant in pidgin english without stress. ;-)
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by TmeD0(m): 11:14pm On Jun 08, 2009
@ dhtml, pare means erase not vanish.

@ post, seriously, this is not a bad idea o except that the Yoruba for example was in solid ijinle yoruba. 

in a way that's good cause it will compel most of us to learn our native languages (if time dey though) but it would have been
easily embraced if it was in pidgin like a lot of people have already stated.

i think we should give it time to evolve and not just quick to criticize and dismiss it.  Peace!
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 09, 2009
That is as it may be. . .
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ayobase(m): 4:23pm On Jun 09, 2009
I tried the yoruba language
but to go back to default
gave me real time problem,
u dont have windows office2000,
u cant go back to default.

I just had to restore my system
to 7 hours earlier of the same day
before I could be defaulted!!!

It was cool sha!!
They actually did their assignments!!!
Re: Windows Vista In Hausa, Igbo And Yoruba by ayobase(m): 4:49pm On Jun 09, 2009
Now that we have the local languages,
does it mean that there will be reduction in
the prices of Laptops and Desktops so
that our honorable hawkers, Omo Eleran,
Omo Ologi, Omo Oniru,
Mesai, Mekunnu, Meruwa and the rest
will be able to start using the PC?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Browse The Internet With Any Decoder At 5mb Per Second Free / Siwes Placement For Computer Science Student: ! / Mcdorsey Can Fix It!–computers, Mobile Phones, Home & Office Electronic Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.