Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,627 members, 7,918,029 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:46 PM

Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court (8110 Views)

Agbaje’s Response To Fashola’s Tax Indictment / Certificate Controversy: Abuja Lawyer Drags Buhari To Court / Biafra Drags Nigeria To Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by No2Atheism(m): 6:39am On Jun 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!!! Roflmao!!!! Roflmao!!!!
You came on this, and posted the question below I responded telling you that the messiah frequented the temple, so why can’t pastors, and you somehow think I am the one bringing salvation or works of righteousness into this?

Roflmao!!!! Roflmao!!!! Roflmao!!!!
Apparently, not the whole bible since the same Bible tells you that the messiah frequented the temple. Roflmao!!!
Oh boy!!

1. It guess it is fun to scorn, so enjoy it while u can.

2. This topic is not talking about issues of temple or issues of no temple. I never mentioned the issue of temple and nevertheless i would do my best to explain it to you to let you see how that does not relate in anyway with the issue of taxation that this thread is trying to tackle.

3. I am a little bit disappointed that your comments smell like a typical i must win attitude of some people seeking to get their point across by force.

4. The issue of going or not going to the Temple has everything to do with salvation (read on to find out why). However the issue of taxation has absolutely nothing to do with salvation. Hence i don't understand why u keep trying to link the two together on this thread.

5. The temple represented a place of worship and place to seek redemption from sin before the birth, death and ressurection of the Messiah. Hence the temple represented issues that dealt with salvation of a person. The Messiah by His presence had to fufill the all the works of rightenous/prophecies/preconditions/activities that the ordinary man could not, so that every believer who gets bailed out by his blood does not have to fufill the same works of rightenous/prophecies/preconditions/activities. Part of these works of rightenous/prophecies/preconditions/activities that the Messiah fufilled is the issue of the going to the Temple as a man born into the house of Isreal governed by the Laws of Moses.

Hence the reason why the Messiah could visit a temple and pastors/believers no longer had to visit a temple, was because the Messiah had already fufilled all the works of rightenous/prophecies/preconditions/activities for us, hence why our salvation is only by Grace through Faith in the Messiah and not by whether or not we also try to fufill the same works of rightenous/prophecies/preconditions/activities that the Messiah has already fuffilled.

Therefore the issue of whether or not pastors or people should go to the temple has been eradicated by the death and resurrection of the Messiah based on the simple fact that his life and death resulted in the tearing down of the veil from the temple, such that there was no longer any need for any believer to go through an intermediary via the temple before they communicated with the Creator.

Instead because of the Messiah, all believers could now worship the Creator in spirit and in truth directly at anytime of the day and anywhere in the whole universe. (that my friend is why pastors do not need to go to the temple like the Messiah did).
Well u might be wondering that why then do people claim or bother to go to church, the is simple. The issue of going to church or fellowship has nothing to do with the initial case of the Messiah going to the temple. Instead the issue of going to church/fellowship comes up in relation to the bible verse that says: "Iron sharpeneth Iron" (Prov 27:17). This is even made more obvious by the bible verse that says that all believers (pastors, bishops, deacons etc included) should gather together and fellowship together with one another (anywhere and not a particular temple or particular church building)in other to achieve the "iron sharpeneth iron principle" (Hebrews 10:25).

RNKJV

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

RNKJV
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

5. The issue of the taxation has nothing to do with the Temple that you keep trying to link it with (why u are trying to link it with the temple is really beyond me, cus i don't understand whether u are here to score a cheap point or you are here to engage in a productive and meaningful discussion).

6. Hence the like i have said earlier the Messiah showed by His own action, the kind of example that believers as supposed to follow when dealing with issues of taxation in a real life scenario (which at its fundamentals, has nothing to do with their salvation).

Please check my earlier posts here and here to find out what the Messiah did when faced with an issue of taxation under a real life scenario.

7. I would no longer be responding to your own personal posts on this topic, because i sincerely do not like repeating myself or wasting my time on issues that inevitably contribute nothing to the topic at hand.

Thank you.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 6:45am On Jun 06, 2009
Forget I even tried answering that question of yours. I should learn to just ignore, really!
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 6:53am On Jun 06, 2009
Ha @must_afar, I found it

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Net Income Subject to the UBIT

Churches and religious organizations, like other tax-exempt organizations, may engage in income-producing activities unrelated to their tax-exempt purposes, as long as the unrelated activities are not a substantial part of the organization’s activities. However, the net income from such activities will be subject to the UBIT if the following three conditions are met:

■ the activity constitutes a trade or business,
■ the trade or business is regularly carried on, and
■ the trade or business is not substantially related to the organization’s exempt purpose. (The fact that the organization uses the income to further its charitable or religious purposes does not make the activity substantially related to its exempt purposes.)

Exceptions to UBIT

Even if an activity meets the above three criteria, the income may not be subject to tax if it meets one of the following exceptions: (a) substantially all of the work in operating the trade or business is performed by volunteers; (b) the activity is conducted by the organization primarily for the convenience of its members; or (c) the trade or business involves the selling of merchandise substantially all of which was donated.

In general, rents from real property, royalties, capital gains, and interest and dividends are not subject to the unrelated business income tax unless financed with borrowed money.

Examples of Unrelated Trade or Business Activities

Unrelated trade or business activities vary depending on types of activities, as shown below.

Advertising

Many tax-exempt organizations sell advertising in their publications or other forms of public communication. Generally, income from the sale of advertising is unrelated trade or business income. This may include the sale of advertising space in weekly bulletins, magazines or journals, or on church or religious organization Web sites.

Gaming

Most forms of gaming, if regularly carried on, may be considered the conduct of an unrelated trade or business. This can include the sale of pull-tabs and raffles. Income derived from bingo games may be eligible for a special tax exception (in addition to the exception regarding uncompensated volunteer labor covered above), if the following conditions are met: (a) the bingo game is the traditional type of bingo (as opposed to instant bingo, a variation of pull-tabs); (b) the conduct of the bingo game is not an activity carried out by for-profit organizations in the local area; and (c) the operation of the bingo game does not violate any state or local law.

Sale of merchandise and publications

The sale of merchandise and publications (including the actual publication of materials) can be considered the conduct of an unrelated trade or business if the items involved do not have a substantial relationship to the exempt purposes of the organization. [b]

[b]Rental income

Generally, income derived from the rental of real property and incidental personal property is excluded from unrelated business income. However, there are certain situations in which rental income may be unrelated business taxable income:

■ if a church rents out property on which there is debt outstanding (for example, a mortgage note), the rental income may constitute unrelated debt-financed income subject to UBIT. (However, if a church or convention or association of churches acquires debt-financed land for use in its exempt purposes within 15 years of the time of acquisition, then income from the rental of the land may not constitute unrelated business income.),
■ if personal services are rendered in connection with the rental, then the income may be unrelated business taxable income, or
■ if a church charges for the use of the parking lot, the income may be unrelated business taxable income.

Parking lots

If a church owns a parking lot that is used by church members and visitors while attending church services, any parking fee paid to the church would not be subject to UBIT. However, if a church operates a parking lot that is used by members of the general public, parking fees would be taxable, as this activity would not be substantially related to the church’s exempt purpose, and parking fees are not treated as rent from real property. If the church enters into a lease with a third party who operates the church’s parking lot and pays rent to the church, such payments would not be subject to tax, as they would constitute rent from real property.
Whether an income-producing activity is an unrelated trade or business activity depends on all the facts and circumstances. For more information, see IRS Publication 598, Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by mustafar1: 7:05am On Jun 06, 2009
when does it become substantial relationship? when churches and mosques start selling books instead of spreading the word contained in their holy books.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by yommyuk: 7:18am On Jun 06, 2009
good point u made concerning the small churches @Kobojunkie

However in my opinion "Materiality" will take care of that. Are these so called small churches part of a bigger setup or just a stand alone?
Yes, The govt has ignored it's duties for so long. But I put that down to probably when a few decades ago we had less churches.
Just like in the uk, uptil the late 80s cow leg was a give away untill when there was a surge in its demand. Its no more free u pay up to £3.50 for it.

My point is there must be accountability accross the board. be it small, big or Mega. If there is no accountability, the system will be open to malpratice and exploitation . Even majority of these so called small churches fiddle with the little they have
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 7:20am On Jun 06, 2009
must_a_far:

when does it become substantial relationship? when churches and mosques start selling books instead of spreading the word contained in their holy books.

It will be foolish of us to determine that since some of these mega churches are able to bring in so much money at the end of the end compared to other business, it would be right to change the laws to cause them to pay taxes on money that would normally be tax exempt in other places.

“Any Nigerian who earns salary must pay tax. Church workers who earn salaries are taxable. Pastors, church workers must pay tax. “No Nigerian is above the law. Anyone who qualifies to pay tax must pay. The bible gives us injunction to be law abiding. We are spiritually obliged to pay taxes,” he stated.

From the article, I think the pastor himself is saying that he pays taxes on his personal wages, and church workers do too.
Many of these organizations make money to cover costs from sales of books, videos, cds, etc. In this case, going by the IRS posting above, I would say it would qualify as substantial. I am not sure if it is the case that the government in Nigeria now wants to change that. I don’t believe it is the right move.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 7:33am On Jun 06, 2009
yommyuk:

good point u made concerning the small churches @Kobojunkie
However in my opinion "Materiality" will take care of that. Are these so called small churches part of a bigger setup or just a stand alone?
How will materiality take care of anything here? Many of the small churches in Nigeria are not part of larger churches.

yommyuk:

Yes, The govt has ignored it's duties for so long. But I put that down to probably when a few decades ago we had less churches.
Most of the mega churches you see today existed before then.

yommyuk:

Just like in the uk, uptil the late 80s cow leg was a give away untill when there was a surge in its demand. Its no more free u pay up to £3.50 for it.
Charity has nothing to do with cow leg.lol

yommyuk:

My point is there must be accountability accross the board. be it small, big or Mega. If there is no accountability, the system will be open to malpratice and exploitation . Even majority of these so called small churches fiddle with the little they have

The fact is we have a system that does not even believe it ought to be accountable to us. For all we know, it may be the case that majority of these churches actually pay whatever taxes they ought to and are prompt in doing so. If you read the beginning article, you will see what I mean. This is not a case against the churches not paying wage taxes, but simply over them not paying taxes on merchandise sold.

I mean I am sure there are some dubious pastors/organizations out there but does taxing sales of merchandise, usually done to raise money to cover church/mosque operation costs, really help anyone? Will it stop with religious organizations or will this be applied across the board to all non-profits? What stops the megas from moving their bases out of Lagos to avoid these taxes, leaving the small shops to suffer alone?

Businesses do that here in there way. Delaware and Nevada happen to be tax free states and so majority of the financial houses here are headquartered in one of those two states. Even I took advantage of that. Are my guilty of any crime? Turns out No. So if Lagos decides to become church un-friendly, many of these churches may move bases and Lagos will likely loose millions, which it already gets from these churches, in tax revenue in the process.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by biina: 8:20am On Jun 06, 2009
@kobojunkie
I dont get the relevance of US tax laws to the discussion.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 8:27am On Jun 06, 2009
There were references made of how these cases are handled in the US and the UK. So I felt to use the US tax laws for tax-exempt orgs, which I am familiar with, to explain my point.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by enziga(m): 8:33am On Jun 06, 2009
@ Tpiah,
Mr God is not to be mocked,
Is God being mocked with this taxation exercise?
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Nobody: 8:34am On Jun 06, 2009
Those fraudsters must pay taxes, simple.

On the other hand, if nigerians are forced to pay taxes where necessary, they will be forced to demand their rights or stand up at the same time the moment they see Ibori flying a private jet with their hard-earned money.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 06, 2009
enziga:

@ Tpiah,

As much as I dont like my path crossing with her's, I doubt if she ever tried mocking your "Mr God".
And What or who is this "Mr God", cos if its who am thinking, it would be you that is mocking him.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by sbo(m): 10:18am On Jun 06, 2009
smiley @kobojunkie and Yommyuk - you guys are speaking my mind!
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by biina: 4:17pm On Jun 06, 2009
@kobojunkie and no2atheism
No2Atheism:

Why does a Pastor need to go to church considering that even the Messiah himself decided to pay tax.
I think there was a typo in the above statement: church instead of court. You guys might have had a simple misunderstanding of what the other was trying to say.

@topic
I think the first step is to have the churches tender their accounts. They should submit their audited books like any other institution.
Then we would be in a better position to address the taxation question.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by tpiah: 5:01pm On Jun 06, 2009
enziga:

@ Tpiah,

Yes, to a sociopath, taxation is the same thing as cold blooded murder.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by tpiah: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2009
@ topic

imo, it shows a serious lack of faith to kick against taxes, and I dont know if these pastors are setting a good example for their congregations. Anyway, I'm speaking as someone who has paid taxes for as long as I've been working. Even if I go to the bookstore and buy a motivational book by Warren Buffett or Bill Gates, I still pay taxes on it and likewise I assume the writers also paid taxes on any royalties they received.

So far, there's no indication the taxes are unreasonable, unless there's something I dont know about the matter.

If, after the govt collects taxes, nothing is still done to improve the infrastructure or standard of living of the tax payers, then thats when people should complain.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by bawomolo(m): 7:01pm On Jun 06, 2009
If you are saying tax them all, are you also saying all NGO's and other non-profits that sell books, CD's and DVD's ought to be taxed?

yes it is called a sales tax.

biina:

@topic
I think the first step is to have the churches tender their accounts. They should submit their audited books like any other institution.
Then we would be in a better position to address the taxation question.

guys like creflo dollar (who the heck attends his church) and T.D Jakes have shunned federal auditors for obvious reasons.  An audit would mean the names of politicians and businesses who donate to the churches would be revealed.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 8:20pm On Jun 06, 2009
bawomolo:

yes it is called a sales tax. 

Huh?? Are you saying the purchasers ought to pay sales tax on their purchases in this case? Or are you saying the churches should pay sales tax on profits made? which one?

By the way, are you saying that creflo dollar, and the other dude REFUSED the IRS access to their financials? When did this happen?
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by bawomolo(m): 8:48pm On Jun 06, 2009
By the way, are you saying that creflo dollar, and the other dude REFUSED the IRS access to their financials? When did this happen?

congress and not the IRS.

Huh?? Are you saying the purchasers ought to pay sales tax on their purchases in this case? Or are you saying the churches should pay sales tax on profits made? which one?

Yes they should pay a tax on their profits.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 8:51pm On Jun 06, 2009
bawomolo:

congress and not the IRS.
ah!! That old case!!

bawomolo:
Yes they should pay a tax on their profits.

Well, I hope fashola allows the people to vote on that cause I sure know I would vote against such, would rather we stick to enforcing what we have in the books as of now.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by bawomolo(m): 8:52pm On Jun 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Since we do not have the legal facts on Nigeria on hand here, are you saying that churches in America pay a tax on profits from sales of books and media to raise money for operation costs as well?

why should what tax American churches pay be a concern?
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Jun 06, 2009
bawomolo:

why should what tax American churches pay be a concern?

Because what we currently have right now in Nigeria is similar to what we have here in America. And since I have searched and have been unable to locate the very document till now, I decided to use the american version for the time being.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 9:01pm On Jun 06, 2009
Nigeria: No Intention to Tax Churches, Says Fashola
http://allafrica.com/stories/200906010558.html

Lagos — Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) of Lagos State yesterday cleared the air on the misrepresentations in the purported imposition of tax on religious organisations in the state, saying there is no intention by the state government to tax churches in the state.

Fashola, who made the clarification while fielding questions from newsmen at a World Press Conference to mark his second year in office at the Banquet Hall of the Lagos House, explained that the state government only sought obedience to an already existing federal law that religious leaders should pay tax from the personal income they earn from their activities.

"The point here is that religious leaders are not different from you or me. If they earn income from that activity, it is only proper that they remit to the commonwealth, to the common pool and to the common developmental resources from which they benefit."

Explaining further, the governor said: "They use the roads, their children use the schools, their wives use the markets, they use water, they enjoy the benefits of the security that we provide," adding that people should not get emotional about the issue.

Acknowledging that the constitution exempted the churches from taxation, the governor pointed out that the courts have ruled at a time that if a church has property which it rents out and from which it earns income, it should pay tax from such earning, adding that "I also want to make the point clearly, we did not make the law. It is a Federal Government law."

But it is a law that we are empowered to implement just like the Income Tax Law."

Debunking the allegation that the plan was targeted at a particular religion, Governor Fashola declared, "I cannot even successfully do it. Here I am, a Muslim, my father is a Muslim, my mother is Anglican, my wife is Catholic and my siblings are of the Pentecostal faith", adding that the issue must be separated from sentiment and emotion. Advising any aggrieved person to seek redress formally through the courts, Governor Fashola, however, advised the agencies of Government responsible for implementing the law to be civil and humane. "We will not always be in the places when the law is being implemented. We urge our officers to act in the most civil and humane manner to ensure that people comply", he advised. The Governor reiterated his position on the proposed amendment of the Land Use Act, saying though he is not opposed to Land Reforms , he does not support the proposal to amend the Act.

Urging the reform of the administrative practices instead of repealing the Act, Governor Fashola stressed that practices associated with the Act such as Registration of Title Law have nothing to do with the Act itself, adding, "It was not fixed by the Land Use Act. It is a law that existed before the Land Use Act".

Pointing out that there was nothing wrong with paying fees for registration of title on land, Governor Fashola said, "If you can pay the CSCS fee for security of your share, it is the same as paying the Registration of Title fee to the Land Registrar who secures your title" "But, I must say, it is an issue that we will continue to engage. We are not saying that all is well. The message there is that we are not convinced that this is the solution, and until we explore an alternative solution, like creating long-term funding, to look at the cost of cement, the cost of iron rod and all of those things, we really may be courting crisis", he said.

The Governor also reiterated his position on the issue of State Police saying, "It is no longer a question of if but a question of when". According to the Governor, "We cannot continue to implement policies that history and experience have shown that it is not efficient and refuse to change it and expect it to work".

Citing the developments in other jurisdictions of the world, Governor Fashola pointed out that even those who wrote the Constitution of the country, at the time they were writing it recognized that there was need for State laws by creating such laws and queried why they did not see the need to create the police for the states to enforce their own laws.

"And that is how it is happening everywhere. They even have police at the local government levels . They have responsibilities. And therefore, we must start now to do what is right. We must not continue to dig in a hole, we must start coming out. We must begin to dare. We must begin to try new things", the Governor urged, saying it would not benefit the country to continue to insist on a policy that would not move it forward.

On the joint military police patrol in the State, Governor Fashola who acknowledged that the military has the Constitutional responsibility to protect the nation from internal and external aggression, pointed out that the military also assist in areas of violent crime.

"You don't ask soldiers to go to police stations", the Governor said pointing out that the idea of a joint patrol only arose out of the need to combat a violent crime situation in the State. "It has been a useful partnership and we will continue to make the best of it", he said. He said it is not true that small and medium scale industries in the State are packing up because of lack of constant power supply, pointing out that the State's Skill Acquisition Programme has boosted rather than weakened the sector. The Governor, however, acknowledged that the problem of power supply would reduce the operational power of the industries and increase their operational cost, but said using the services provided by the State, the goods they produce would become cheaper and cost effective in the local and even in the export market.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by yommyuk: 9:04pm On Jun 06, 2009
How will materiality take care of anything here? Many of the small churches in Nigeria are not part of larger churches.

Materiality in the sense that the govt should set a threshold in terms of "size of the congregation" and "revenue generated"
if a church revenue is above the limit set by the govt. Then accounts of such must be made transparent to the authorities.
Even the so called small churches have to file some kind of summarized a/c (May be not in much detail as the Mega ones).
No organisation should be allowed be it church, mosque, or whatever to setup and be collecting money from citizens without
due autorization and complying to regulation.

Charity has nothing to do with cow leg.lol

I was using the cow leg as an concept. i.e systems and contingency plans must be put in place for growth and development in any sector.
3 decades ago you may find max. 1 church per street. No it is 20 per street. How do u deal with that. You set a system that demands
compliance. if not every tom and harry moves in and we have a situation that grows out of control

This is not a case against the churches not paying wage taxes, but simply over them not paying taxes on merchandise sold.
The bottom line is paying taxes on revenue generated. I agree the tax collectors are not credible. There is no system in place
to check and control their activities. which is another topic .

In my opinion, hopeless situations call for drastic measures.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by MrCrackles(m): 9:06pm On Jun 06, 2009
Kobojunkie

Regarding your last post,
Is this now a new development prompted by the uproar of pastors not wanting to pay?
Could Fashola have bowed down to pressures?
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 9:12pm On Jun 06, 2009
MrCrackles:

Kobojunkie

Regarding your last post,
Is this now a new development prompted by the uproar of pastors not to pay?
Could Fashola have bowed down to pressures?

I don't think so.
At the end of the day, we are still speaking of Nigeria here; a country that has so many of the right laws but failing to implement most every one of them. We have really, in my opinion, good tax laws already. The same tax laws we had in the state before everything went to hell in a hand basket. Why should we change it now? Because some churches are big and we cannot deal with that fact? Because we cannot accept the fact that people will always choose to put their money where they want and we want to control how big a church or a non-profit can grow, if not, we cry foul?

Again, the tax laws we have in Nigeria are similar to those we have here in America. Problem is simply that the laws are not effectively enforced in Nigeria’s case. There is no need to change them, only make them more effective. However, if we have decided that it is time we put a limit to how big a congregation can grow and how much money individuals can donate to any cause or group, then we better be ready to face the consequences of such a, in my opinion, ridiculous move.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by bawomolo(m): 9:20pm On Jun 06, 2009
Well, I hope fashola allows the people to vote on that cause I sure know I would vote against such, would rather we stick to enforcing what we have in the books as of now.

are you in favor of the current tax code because it favors churches?

would you mind the issue of federal character to be voted on?
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Jun 06, 2009
yommyuk:

Materiality in the sense that the govt should set a threshold in terms of "size of the congregation" and "revenue generated"
if a church revenue is above the limit set by the govt. Then accounts of such must be made transparent to the authorities.
Why should government SET A LIMIT ON HOW MUCH MONEY A CHARITY CAN HAVE? Essentially, you are saying Government should CONTROL the amount of resources available to churches and Non-profits ? Basically, limiting the number of people they can reach? Why?

Why would you want to put a cap on how big a church/mosque/non-profit can grow? What next? Are you going to suggest we put a limit on how big businesses can grow?

yommyuk:

Even the so called small churches have to file some kind of summarized a/c (May be not in much detail as the Mega ones).
No organisation should be allowed be it church, mosque, or whatever to setup and be collecting money from citizens without
due autorization and complying to regulation.
We do have tax laws in place and I would say many do try to comply with those laws. I mean I cannot say for sure because government has for some decades now refused to do it’s part in enforcing those laws and so, it is not a matter of there being no laws in place but more lack of implementation.

yommyuk:

I was using the cow leg as an concept. i.e systems and contingency plans must be put in place for growth and development in any sector.
3 decades ago you may find max. 1 church per street. No it is 20 per street. How do u deal with that. You set a system that demands compliance. if not every tom and harry moves in and we have a situation that grows out of control
The system already exists.

yommyuk:

The bottom line is paying taxes on revenue generated. I agree the tax collectors are not credible. There is no system in place to check and control their activities. which is another topic . In my opinion, hopeless situations call for drastic measures.
Not on revenue generated but on personal income.
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 9:27pm On Jun 06, 2009
bawomolo:

are you in favor of the current tax code because it favors churches?
Show me how the current tax code FAVORS churches.

bawomolo:

would you mind the issue of federal character to be voted on?
Voted on, in what case? Isn’t it already in the constitution and hence legal, and as someone pointed out earlier applied in much the same way others laws in that country are currently are?
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by MrCrackles(m): 9:28pm On Jun 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I don't think so.
At the end of the day, we are still speaking of Nigeria here; a country that has so many of the right laws but failing to implement most every one of them. We have really, in my opinion, good tax laws already. The same tax laws we had in the state before everything went to hell in a hand basket. Why should we change it now? Because some churches are big and we cannot deal with that fact? Because we cannot accept the fact that people will always choose to put their money where they want and we want to control how big a church or a non-profit can grow, if not, we cry foul?
Again, the tax laws we have in Nigeria are similar to those we have here in America. Problem is simply that the laws are not effectively implemented in Nigeria’s case. There is no need to change them, only make them more effective. However, if we have decided that it is time we put a limit to how big a congregation can grow and how much money individuals can donate to any cause or group, then we better be ready to face the consequences of such a, in my opinion, ridiculous move.

Right i get you!
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by bawomolo(m): 9:36pm On Jun 06, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Show me how the current tax code FAVORS churches.

tax exemption is a favor and not a right.

Voted on, in what case? Isn’t it already in the constitution and hence legal, and as someone pointed out earlier applied in much the same way others laws in that country are currently are?

i'm speaking about an amendment to the constitution
Re: Tax: Lagos Pastors Go To Court by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On Jun 06, 2009
bawomolo:

tax exemption is a favor and not a right.

Ok. Let's run with that for now. So, you are asking if I am in favour of tax exempt status for non-profits because YOU somehow believe it is in the favor of churches?

bawomolo:
i'm speaking about an amendment to the constitution

If an amendment, I would vote to have it completely removed. In fact, replaced with a law that deems it illegal to deny any persons, any opportunity simply on ethnical grounds, even though the person is a Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rivers Redeploys State Assembly Clerk, Deputy Amid Political Crisis / No Victor No Vanquished - How true? / Photos Of Nigerians Running for Their Lives After Boko Haram Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.