Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,623 members, 7,918,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:29 PM

90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson (1364 Views)

Headies: Davido Calls Out Nigerian Artistes; Dedicates Award To Family & Chioma / Five Most Overrated Nigerian Artistes / Ali Baba, Tuface, Daniel Wilson, Phyno‎, Others Thrill Abuja Fans At Transcorp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by arena2007: 4:32am On Dec 18, 2015
Ace reggae singer, Daniel Wilson, is currently not happy with the kind of music that is being chunk out on daily basis from the young Nigerian artistes.
According to the singer who is also being known as Mr Raggamufin, he grew up listening to good songs from the likes of Mike Okri, Evi Edna Ogoli, Majek fashek and others, but today the style of music has changed to a poor state.
He explained that after taking a brief survey with some of the young Nigerian singers, many of them do not understand what music in Nigeria is all about.
In his words, “Music can mean anything to anybody, but I dare say, I grew up listening to the best Nigeria had to offer, what I listen to these days break my heart. Times without number I sit down and ask a couple of young musicians I meet, what they know about music in Nigeria, which artist did what, and I dare say, 90 percent of the musicians of these generation lack a proper historical knowledge of the industry, how can you talk of building a better industry and hope to be celebrated when you don't even celebrate those who was there before you.
He noted that it is so sad that foreigners are now the ones that sees the value of Nigerian music and try to blend it with theirs by packaging it well to meet their taste.
“As children we danced to greats like Evi Edna Ogoli, Daniel Wilson , Mike Okri , The great Majek Fashek, Lijadu Sister, Monomono, Bala Miller, Blackky Inyang. But it’s funny how the American's will appreciate our past better than us, Sample and repackage what was ours and sale to us.
A lot of hiphop artists from the Wu tang clan, to Jay Z have sampled our sounds, not because they want sale in Africa but because our sound is a sound very pure, genuine and original. Wonder why Wizkid's Ojuelegba is the biggest sound to come out of Nigeria in 2015? listen to it again and tell yourself the truth,” he said.

http://www.9janewsarena.com/2015/12/90-of-nigerian-artistes-know-nothing-about-music-daniel-wilson.html

cc: lalasticlala, ishilove

Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by arena2007: 4:32am On Dec 18, 2015
smiley smiley smiley
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by Teeboy22(m): 4:52am On Dec 18, 2015
hmmmmwink
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by garyaustin(m): 5:30am On Dec 18, 2015
Thanks for your great post. I thought i was the only voice crying in the wilderness. It is very frustrating at the level of high musical illiteracy in the industry today. It appears all they care about is the money. the average Artist can tell you how much artist A makes a day from download and so on but terribly does not know the difference between doh and re. How did the decay set in? The great Artistes you mentioned are well grounded in theory of music and practical. Majek Fashek plays every basic instrument proficiently and you and i know his musical training background. The great American artists tell the world they work very hard, five to eight hours every day on their voice or instrument but the successful Nigerian Artist creates a mirth around himself, how he receives songs in the dream and a whole bull... So when you tell an Artiste here to go for training, he feels insulted but the trained ones like Tiwa, Davido, Don Jazzy, Rayce and others will remain relevant for long.

1 Like

Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by bewla(m): 5:38am On Dec 18, 2015
bro e done tey
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by Demmocrats(m): 5:57am On Dec 18, 2015
For Example Terry G grin
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by Cutehector(m): 6:36am On Dec 18, 2015
And dats tru

Wilson tea mate bread cheesy
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by Dubemkelly(m): 10:04am On Dec 18, 2015
Music is an expression, we make club bangers, danceable tunes, what rocks our boats is quite different... Still loving the naija afrobeat and I hope it gets better, most of their songs might sound stupid but they do pass a message and this is what. we call IDENTITY and CREOLIZATION, they expressing themselves through music and more encouragement is needed and I got the critique angle Daniel was coming from. Nigerian artistes still make classical songs regardless
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by mondaymorin: 10:06am On Dec 18, 2015
with your type of good music shey you don blow...the most important thing is making your money out of the music industry....sing celine dion and be broke niggar
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by STILESGANG: 10:15am On Dec 18, 2015
garyaustin:
Thanks for your great post. I thought i was the only voice crying in the wilderness. It is very frustrating at the level of high musical illiteracy in the industry today. It appears all they care about is the money. the average Artist can tell you how much artist A makes a day from download and so on but terribly does not know the difference between doh and re. How did the decay set in? The great Artistes you mentioned are well grounded in theory of music and practical. Majek Fashek plays every basic instrument proficiently and you and i know his musical training background. The great American artists tell the world they work very hard, five to eight hours every day on their voice or instrument but the successful Nigerian Artist creates a mirth around himself, how he receives songs in the dream and a whole bull... So when you tell an Artiste here to go for training, he feels insulted but the trained ones like Tiwa, Davido, Don Jazzy, Rayce and others will remain relevant for long.
So davido is trained?
Re: 90% Of Nigerian Artistes Know Nothing About Music - Daniel Wilson by garyaustin(m): 4:10pm On Dec 18, 2015
Well Davido is Babcock university graduate of music. If he was awarded a degree in music by the university, who are we to say he is not trained?

(1) (Reply)

3 Sisters Of Vogue, Kylie Jenner, Bella Hadid And Lottie Moss Poses For Vogue / Mercy Johnson Wishes You Merry Christmas As She Unveils Her Newborn Baby. / Must Read For Ladies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.