Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,858 members, 7,872,855 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:24 AM

Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment (16233 Views)

Death Sentences: Nigeria Ranks 2nd In The World After China – Amnesty Int. / Ekiti Court Sentences Herdsman To Two Years Imprisonment For Grazing / 50 Nigerian Soldiers Drowned In Bayelsa Creeks, Not 3 — N’delta Avengers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by ayodele123(m): 12:20pm On Dec 19, 2015
They should be discharged and acquitted as it is now clear that they have been vindicated by recent revelations how funds for arms to fight BH were embezzled by politicians
They refused to fight cos there were no arms to coconfront a well equipped BH that outguns them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by Okemmuo(m): 12:23pm On Dec 19, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Purely political. The punishment for mutiny is death going by the military laws. It's a pity that we've succeeded in politicising the military.
GUY..Bikoo, where is your brain?...did u not. Look @ d circumstances @ wich dey were convicted? Think through before u speak...
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 19, 2015
10 WHAT....did the N.A xpect d poor soldiers to to face boko-haram with bare hands after d clueless corrupt clown/dasuki looted monies for arms procurement?......ARRANT NONSENSE!
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by muller101(m): 12:34pm On Dec 19, 2015
GudluckIBB:
Soldiers protested that they were poorly armed wereas jonathan and dasuki looted the money meanrnt for arms purchase and now, the soldiers are paying for it.

It won't be well with jonathan and dasuki
wailing in disguise
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by idu1(m): 12:37pm On Dec 19, 2015
bright007:
after jailing them for ten years....what next?

You make them become hardened criminals who can only survive by orchestrating a commando-style robbery attack. At the end of the day, you have only succeded in solving a small problem and creating a bigger one.

This country is a joke
so, they should kill them?
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by Jeandewest(m): 12:59pm On Dec 19, 2015
dridowu:
The death sentences by firing squad passed on 66 soldiers in January and March 2015 by separate General Court Martials have been commuted to 10 years imprisonment each.
It will be recalled that 71 soldiers were arraigned on several charges in joint trials. The soldiers were arraigned on several count charges that include Criminal Conspiracy, Conspiracy to commit mutiny, Mutiny, Attempt to Commit an Offence (Murder), Disobedience to Particular Orders, Insubordinate Behaviour and False Accusation, amongst others.

They were tried, discharged on some charges but found guilty and convicted on other charges which included mutiny. Out of the number, 66 were found guilty on some of the count charges and sentenced to death, while 5 were discharged and acquitted and 1 was given 28 days Imprisonment with Hard Labour (IHL).

However, following series of petitions, the Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, ordered a legal review of the cases. The directive was carried out to examine the merit of each case. It was on the basis of the review and recommendations that the Chief of Army Staff commuted the death sentences of the 66 soldiers to 10 years jail term. The sentences are to run concurrently.

The cases of other soldiers are being reviewed and will be made public once the appropriate reviews are completed

Thank you.

SANI KUKASHEKA USMAN Colonel
Acting Director Army Public Relations

http://army.mil.ng/Press-Release.html

lalasticlala Mynd44
that to say... CHANGE EVERYWHERE... if Mutiny is to DEAth... Now 10 years in Prison.. Even if u commit FELONY... NO FEAR... just get the rite person to judge ur case...
Joor ooo..

After all NA GOD GO WIN...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by Muritino(m): 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
Purely political. The punishment for mutiny is death going by the military laws. It's a pity that we've succeeded in politicising the military.

Would you have said this if your family member was among them?
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by Jeandewest(m): 1:04pm On Dec 19, 2015
[quote author=dridowu post=41143929]The death sentences by firing squad passed on 66 soldiers in January and March 2015 by separate General Court Martials have been commuted to 10 years imprisonment each.
It will be recalled that 71 soldiers were arraigned on several charges in joint trials. The soldiers were arraigned on several count charges that include Criminal Conspiracy, Conspiracy to commit mutiny, Mutiny, Attempt to Commit an Offence (Murder),

that to say... CHANGE EVERYWHERE... if Mutiny is to DEAth... Now 10 years in Prison.. Even if u commit FELONY... NO FEAR... just get the rite person to judge ur case...
Joor ooo..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by ShowYourCertificate: 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2015
Okemmuo:
GUY..Bikoo, where is your brain?...did u not. Look @ d circumstances @ wich dey were convicted? Think through before u speak...
Mutiny is mutiny regardless of the circumstances.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by ShowYourCertificate: 1:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
Muritino:

Would you have said this if your family member was among them?
Don't bring my family into this. Don't let me report you to the mods angry

None of my family member in the military would be so dishonorable as to commit mutiny against military command.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by ShowYourCertificate: 1:28pm On Dec 19, 2015
Jeandewest:

Joor ooo..

This is exactly my point.

Don't be surprised if some young officers commit mutiny in the future because of paucity of weapons. Afterall its just 10 years.......

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by chidisco2012: 2:03pm On Dec 19, 2015
i hope those guys are hausa cause i dont my people in that situation
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by ubah84(m): 2:05pm On Dec 19, 2015
gadgetsngs:
what's the difference? Am sure they will prefer death sentence to this
mumu I pray that your family member is there so that he will prefer death sentence
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by ubah84(m): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2015
no military man will forget d wicked nature of gej administration. may God bless PMB
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by 7lives: 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2015
kraftsta:
They were tried, found guilty and sentenced...now our all gracious buruntashi abi na burutai is expecting nigerians to give him applause for bn compassionate and forgeting dat he just ordered an immediate death sentence for unarmed protesters dat blocked his convoy some days ago. Since he is trying to make us believe he have a conscience n is capable of having a second thought by showing pity to his fellow guilty soldiers, I now ask where was his conscience or spirit of compassion and second thought when he ordered his men to massacre those unarmed protesters. To all of u commending dat beast dat calls himself COAS I think wat u should be doing now is campaigning against military brutality to unarmed civilians. I am not a shiite neither am I a muslim buh with dis lawlessnes and barbarism of NA unchecked,untill then no 1 will ever be safe. My opinion is dat burutai or weteva he is called still have genocide case to answer and not for us to b turning him to a celebrity on nairaland......#saynotomilitarybrutality

Found guilty of not fighting with dane guns, oh its ok for GEJ's army to slaughter Zakizaki's son's but its illegall for COAS to nip that Kaduna nonsense in the bud.
If you are not an enemy of peace you won't be vomiting this rubbish you post online, i hope you don't GO ANYWHERE OUTSIDE THIS COUNTRY WITH THIS STATE OF MIND 'CAUSE SORRY MIGHT JUST BE YOUR CASE.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by zed24: 3:10pm On Dec 19, 2015
ShowYourCertificate:
u must be an idiot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by blackprowler: 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2015
Demmocrats:

More like treason which is punishable by death. They should thank there God.

Nice one from the general for such a pardon.

My dear, pardon is dangerous. I support it here but it is not right. Personally I regret all the stupid forgiveness I ever gave anyone. It only encourages ppl to do bad things on purpose and plead later, hoping to be pardoned. As far as I'm concerned, forgiveness is the cause of so many problems we still face today as human beings. Nature doesn't forgive: it is cause and effect. If you jump from a ten-story building, you can not apologise to nature - you will crash and die, full stop. So think before acting. That will cure the world of much of its problems
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by blackprowler: 3:39pm On Dec 19, 2015
allthingsgood:
That is how GEJ administration would have slaughtered innocent soldiers for nothing, knowing fully well that all monies for arms were diverted to private pockets leaving the soldiers defenceless and demoralized!

Yet some sycophants will still call GEJ a hero! Smh. That sorry excuse for a human being. Shame on the clueless moronic GEJ

Did you know in the battle of Stalingrad, Stalin sent 2 men with one rifle to battle the onrushing Germans? One was to hide behind the other and if that one got shot, he took the rifle and fought on. You people have NO IDEA what military is. Shebi some very very dumb, foolish activists were even attacking the govt and politicising the issue during the trial. In the army, you can be told to go and collect a bullet and die and you must do it or else your own commander will order you to be shot dead. Most of you Nigerians don't know nothing. You think the world was built by fun and games, with Davido and Whizzkid, with Aki and PawPaw. That's why oyibo doesn't think black man is a real human being
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by orunto27: 3:55pm On Dec 19, 2015
TY Bura thank you Sir. May Shiites, Sunnis, Saksarkies, ISIS, bokoharam, Fulani gun trotting Herdsmen and Biafra never get you. Amen.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by allthingsgood: 3:56pm On Dec 19, 2015
[[s]quote author=blackprowler post=41151309]

Did you know in the battle of Stalingrad, Stalin sent 2 men with one rifle to battle the onrushing Germans? One was to hide behind the other and if that one got shot, he took the rifle and fought on. You people have NO IDEA what military is. Shebi some very very dumb, foolish activists were even attacking the govt and politicising the issue during the trial. In the army, you can be told to go and collect a bullet and die and you must do it or else your own commander will order you to be shot dead. Most of you Nigerians don't know nothing. You think the world was built by fun and games, with Davido and Whizzkid, with Aki and PawPaw. That's why oyibo doesn't think black man is a real human being[/quote][/s]

Your long epistle has nothing to do with the facts of this case. seems like u just enjoy spewing trash!
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 1:44am On Dec 20, 2015
odiereke:
They are supposed to be free since the money meant to equip them was stolen by Dasuki and Co.
two wrongs don't make a right. you don't protest like hooligans in the army.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 1:46am On Dec 20, 2015
so if you're owing me money and i break your head I should be discharged and acquitted. two wrongs don't make a right
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 1:47am On Dec 20, 2015
bright007:
after jailing them for ten years....what next?

You make them become hardened criminals who can only survive by orchestrating a commando-style robbery attack. At the end of the day, you have only succeded in solving a small problem and creating a bigger one.

This country is a joke
then they Will bought and hanged
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 1:50am On Dec 20, 2015
ELGREF:
The money mean to equip them has been divert......and people in charge are free in town.....Nigeria with weak law
nothing wrong with our law. everything wrong with the ppl

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 1:54am On Dec 20, 2015
Seenyo:
10 WHAT....did the N.A xpect d poor soldiers to to face boko-haram with bare hands after d clueless corrupt clown/dasuki looted monies for arms procurement?......ARRANT NONSENSE!
they could've deserted. they could have disobeyed, they could have followed chain of command, they have senators, the press was there, they could have used masks. so many ways to solve that problem.they chose um imitate agberos
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 2:04am On Dec 20, 2015
kraftsta:
They were tried, found guilty and sentenced...now our all gracious buruntashi abi na burutai is expecting nigerians to give him applause for bn compassionate and forgeting dat he just ordered an immediate death sentence for unarmed protesters dat blocked his convoy some days ago. Since he is trying to make us believe he have a conscience n is capable of having a second thought by showing pity to his fellow guilty soldiers, I now ask where was his conscience or spirit of compassion and second thought when he ordered his men to massacre those unarmed protesters. To all of u commending dat beast dat calls himself COAS I think wat u should be doing now is campaigning against military brutality to unarmed civilians. I am not a shiite neither am I a muslim buh with dis lawlessnes and barbarism of NA unchecked,untill then no 1 will ever be safe. My opinion is dat burutai or weteva he is called still have genocide case to answer and not for us to b turning him to a celebrity on nairaland......#saynotomilitarybrutality
hahahaha you think you become Chief of staff by being a gentle dove ba.you think they're playing in the army. when Boko comes for you and your family go and be smiling and compassionate. war is not for gentlemen it's for killing machines. thank your God somemake the eternal sacrifice um die on your behalf you ungrateful wretch.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 2:09am On Dec 20, 2015
sonofananimal:
about 15 to 20years contract sign,

Unless you are disable in war or something. Or not physically fit anymore.
where did they sign contract. you civilians go just de talk wetin una no know. short service officers have minimum 3 yrs contract and regulars have minimum 10 cos army paid their school fees. so how can recruit of six months training owe 15 um 20 yrs of his life contract. stop talking what you don't know.

ShowYourCertificate
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 20, 2015
mikolo80:
where did they sign contract. you civilians go just de talk wetin una no know. short service officers have minimum 3 yrs contract and regulars have minimum 10 cos army paid their school fees. so how can recruit of six months training owe 15 um 20 yrs of his life contract. stop talking what you don't know.

ShowYourCertificate
you still proof me right!

As far they sign a contract of years!

So what are you talking about undecided
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by kraftsta(m): 8:08am On Dec 20, 2015
mikolo80:
hahahaha you think you become Chief of staff by being a gentle dove ba.you think they're playing in the army. when Boko comes for you and your family go and be smiling and compassionate. war is not for gentlemen it's for killing machines. thank your God somemake the eternal sacrifice um die on your behalf you ungrateful wretch.

I hurts that d moderators of this forum keep allowing sign-ups from all tom,di*ck n harry, pls to our moderators I suggest a little questionaire during members registeration or create a section like "nairaland kids" for d interested of all dis misguided and disoriented folks who doesn't even know when their right is bn infringed like Mikolo80 to have a level ground to interact with other folks with low IQ like himself...@mikolo80, u can use all d course words u know againts me buh I aint gonna reply u again cos by replying u I will be giving u d satisfaction of f*ooling urself.
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 2:42am On Dec 24, 2015
kraftsta:

I hurts that d moderators of this forum keep allowing sign-ups from all tom,di*ck n harry, pls to our moderators I suggest a little questionaire during members registeration or create a section like "nairaland kids" for d interested of all dis misguided and disoriented folks who doesn't even know when their right is bn infringed like Mikolo80 to have a level ground to interact with other folks with low IQ like himself...@mikolo80, u can use all d course words u know againts me buh I aint gonna reply u again cos by replying u I will be giving u d satisfaction of f*ooling urself.
hahaiahaha your papa na in get low IQ. and I hope you go and claim Human Rights in front of a soldier one day. you will learn. don't worry. too bad I won't be there. I for cripple you. hehehehe. I pity you bloody civilians when the sheet hits the fan. Baggarswill start running to barracks
Re: Nigerian Soldiers Death Sentences Commuted To 10 Years Imprisonment by mikolo80: 2:44am On Dec 24, 2015
sonofananimal:
you still proof me right!

As far they sign a contract of years!

So what are you talking about undecided
I'm saying recruits don't sign anything. it's officers that do.
it's recruits that protested.
not officers
the recruits could have done what was suggested (resign)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

700 Boko Haram Insurgents Surrender In Borno State - Lt. Gen. Buratai / South East Governors Are Working For Buhari - Nnamdi Kanu / Ganduje Promises To Welcome Back Kwankwaso To APC If…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.