Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,023 members, 7,919,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 04:26 AM

Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? (12385 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 2:57pm On Dec 27, 2015
Shynaboy1:
Once again, BRAVO to all team NISD in general. I'm impatiently awaiting the result oh. Moreover, when is team AAUA debating?

Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian
Universities is necessary for a better
educational standard
KSU Support
UNIZIK Oppose
AAUA Support
AUCHI POLYTECHNIC Oppose

Judging: Xynerise, Jarus
Coordinating: MizMyColi
Date: 29th December
Time: 4pm

2 Likes

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Dec 27, 2015
Larrydking

Wonderful effort. I could follow your thought process and the clarity in putting your points across was commendable. I also like the fact that you had a couple of examples to back up your points.

Also, you identified one or two points outside what your lead debater raised, and I believe that is what a good supporting debater should do.

Kudos.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by awesome11(m): 3:06pm On Dec 27, 2015
I would like to know when FUTA is debating. What's the topic and are there any representative yet?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 27, 2015
betacitizen:

No one is twisting any fact here Sir, perhaps you do not know, victory against terror group is not all about carrying gun, some information are meant to be confidential, but the media houses in order to create traffic or sales, are always quick to make reports. Remmber, the media is also backed by Freedom of Information Act which makes them to have more access to information.

You need to know that FOIA can still be denied when it poses a threat to national security, but if it is not, it means there is a role it places in strengthen national security.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 3:09pm On Dec 27, 2015
awesome11:
I would like to know when FUTA is debating. What's the topic and are there any representative yet?

FUTA? No rep..
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 3:09pm On Dec 27, 2015
Interesting..... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 27, 2015
awesome11:

Firstly, I think we've been empowered as observers to give our comment. Also, I'll like to applaud you for the logically weaved questions up there.

However, in warfare, information is an important key in the armory. One of the classic intelligence of terrorist group is their ability to classify and segregate information into cadres and the military losing such important information about their enemy to public knowledge and hence( to the evil group) is a disaster!!

Undoubtedly, leaked military formation is a hiccup for the millitary but I've failed to know what sensitive information capable of undermining the army's effort the the media has spewed over the past.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 27, 2015
Menzo4u

Excellent piece. I felt your introduction and particularly your closing was beautiful. I also liked your transition between points and the spacing of your essay was good enough.

I could follow your train of thought easily and I felt you were quite persuasive.

One point to note though. You wrote the meaning of ISIL as Islamic State of Iraq and Levente, but the meaning is actually Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, or at best, Levante. It means you didn't bother researching the meaning.

Nice effort.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Dec 27, 2015
Yabatech this question is for you. We are aware that the reason why terrorism is much talked about today is due to the issues of loss of life associated with it.

Media evolution has and is still growing, from simple letter writing on paper to the internet. War being a form of terrorism, have acts of terror today in the modern age caused more deaths and propaganda than acts of terror from the 18th to the 20th century?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by awesome11(m): 3:14pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

FUTA? No rep..
Gooshh... Can I still put in, sir?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 3:15pm On Dec 27, 2015
wink
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 3:16pm On Dec 27, 2015
awesome11:

Gooshh... Can I still put in, sir?

Minimum of two reps maximum of 5 if available prepare for 29th..
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by awesome11(m): 3:17pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Minimum of two reps maximum of 5 if available prepare for 29th..
Very much available, sir.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 3:20pm On Dec 27, 2015
awesome11:

Very much available, sir.

Education is a right not a privilege...

Present the reps on the Chatroom.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 3:20pm On Dec 27, 2015
Results coming in from Judge 1

Unilag:

Francis Tony

1) Presentation - 3
2) Logic of Argument - 2
3) Strength of Fact - 2
4) Persuasiveness - 3
5) Demonstration of Knowledge - 4

Total = 14/25

LarryDKing

1) Presentation - 3
2) Logic of Argument - 3
3) Strength of Fact - 4
4) Persuasiveness - 4

Total = 18/25

Yabatech:

Menso4u

1) Presentation - 4
2) Logic of Argument - 4
3) Strength of Fact - 4
4) Persuasiveness - 4

Total = 20/25

Betacitizen

1) Presentation - 3
2) Logic of Argument - 2
3) Strength of Fact - 3
4) Persuasiveness - 3
5) Demonstration of Knowledge - 3

Total = 14/25

[size=14]Total Overall:

UNILAG - 32/50

YABATECH - 34/50
[/size]

Congratulations guys!
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 3:24pm On Dec 27, 2015
Well no matter what the score sheet says Congratulations to both team...

1 Like

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Fynestboi: 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
naijadeyhia:
Yabatech this question is for you. We are aware that the reason why terrorism is much talked about today is due to the issues of loss of life associated with it.

Media evolution has and is still growing, from simple letter writing on paper to the internet. War being a form of terrorism, have acts of terror today in the modern age caused more deaths and propaganda than acts of terror from the 18th to the 20th century?

Cc: Betacitizen menzo4u
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2015
naijadeyhia:

Could you please make this question more comprehensive?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by tobillionaire(m): 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2015
Menso4u, betacitizen, Show dem d number 1 blood...... Bring d crown home
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 27, 2015
betacitizen:

Could you please make this question more comprehensive?

The beginning was a preamble and a foundation to the question which is at the end.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2015
tobillionaire:
Menso4u, betacitizen, Show dem d number 1 blood...... Bring d crown home
That is the spirit Sir grin
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by betacitizen(m): 3:55pm On Dec 27, 2015
naijadeyhia:

The beginning was a preamble and a foundation to the question which is at the end.

Yes, I must confess. Acts of terror today (20th century) has more linkage to propaganda and deaths, as most atrocious terrorism committed has more to do with political motive, which in similarity has to do with propaganda. This is just the reason there were speculations on evolution of BokoHaram that they were simply used for political propaganda.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 4:05pm On Dec 27, 2015
Apologies for the delay everyone, now we have results coming in from Judge 2.

UNILAG (SUPPORTING)

Francistony

1. PRESENTATION: 3

2. LOGIC OF ARGUMENTS: 4

3. STRENGTH OF FACTS, EXAMPLES, CASES. : 4

4. PERSUASIVENESS: 3

5. DEMONSTRATION OF KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT: 5

Total = 19/25

LARRYDKING

1. PRESENTATION: 4

2. LOGIC OF ARGUMENTS: 3

4. PERSUASIVENESS: 4

5. DEMONSTRATION OF KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT: 4

Total = 19/25

YABATECH ( OPPOSING)

Menzo4u

Total = 19/25

Betacitizen

Total = 18/25

[size=14]Total Overall:

UNILAG - 38/50

YABATECH - 37/50
[/size]

Congratulations guys.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by aolumaxi(m): 4:11pm On Dec 27, 2015
Dis is getting more interesting... I hope laspotians participate in the next one.... #Greatest_Laspotians whr una dey?
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 4:11pm On Dec 27, 2015
Also coming in from one of our judges.

Hello,

Having read through both supporting and opposing motions on the topic "media, a panacea for global terrorism", I must say that both unilag and yabatech are punching with gloves off. However unilag seems to have an edge because there is actually no way you can rule out the media as  panacea for global terrorism but that would be when it is being rightly applied.

We have seen nations go on high alert over a simple information gathering or reception process which has gone a long way in curbing what would have been very catastrophic terror incidents all thanks to the media. Though not yet perfect it is yet praise worthy.

If wrongly applied the media can be an arm of terror on its own but so far any such attempts have been met with stiff resistance and stringent measures.

Those supporting the motion in a nutshell emphasized on the reality that SINCE TERRORISM HAS TAKEN A GLOBAL SCALE IT WOULD TAKE A JOINT GLOBAL EFFORT TO RESIST AND ELIMINATE IT AND THERE IS NO BETTER GLOBAL MEDIUM THAN MEDIA" . 

I would have to say that I accept this and concur.

The opposing team stressed more on the weaknesses of the media even though one of the mediums being used by them to push this debate is also the media. They failed to persuade me into believing that the negatives of the media far outweigh the positives as they dealt more on propaganda as against reality. 

I GIVE THIS TO TEAM UNILAG.

3 Likes

Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 27, 2015
betacitizen:

Yes, I must confess. Acts of terror today (20th century) has more linkage to propaganda and deaths, as most atrocious terrorism committed has more to do with political motive, which in similarity has to do with propaganda. This is just the reason there were speculations on evolution of BokoHaram that they were simply used for political propaganda.

We are in the 21st century and not the 20th century. The 21st century began in 2001. So my comparison was now and pre 2001.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Aminat508(f): 4:16pm On Dec 27, 2015
luxanne:
Apologies for the delay everyone, now we have results coming in from Judge 2.

UNILAG (SUPPORTING)

Francistony

4. PERSUASIVENESS: 3

5. DEMONSTRATION OF KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE SUBJECT: 5

Total = 19/25

LARRYDKING

1. PRESENTATION: 4

Total = 19/25

YABATECH ( OPPOSING)

Menzo4u

Total = 19/25

Betacitizen

Total = 18/25

[size=14]Total Overall:

UNILAG - 38/50

YABATECH - 37/50
[/size]

Congratulations guys.
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 4:17pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

GbAm kiss

They both will, but the score sheet is important for next stage groupings.

Its alright smiley
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by luxanne(f): 4:18pm On Dec 27, 2015
Adeaks smiley
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Akerry(m): 4:22pm On Dec 27, 2015
Fynestboi:

Increase of tuition fees in Nigerian Universities is necessary for a better educational standard KSU Support UNIZIK Oppose AAUA Support AUCHI POLYTECHNIC Oppose
Judging: Xynerise, Jarus Coordinating: MizMyColi Date: 29th December Time: 4pm
Wow! #I REP KSU
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by micorpy(m): 4:22pm On Dec 27, 2015
[color=#550000][/color]KUDOS 2 BOTH SCHS #1..UNILAG #2..YABATECH
Re: Team 2: Nairaland Interschool debate: Media:: A Panacea For Global Terrorism? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Dec 27, 2015
luxanne:
Adeaks smiley

Ma'am smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Richard Ogbon: DELSU Confers Honorary Doctorate Degree On 100+Year-Old Monarch / 2016/2017 JAMB CBT Possible/likely Objectives Questions & Answers For Physics / The Saddening Collapse Of Education In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.