Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,551 members, 7,978,803 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 02:33 PM

A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 (2761 Views)

I Was Overthrown In 1984 For Refusing To Devalue The Naira – Buhari / Throwback Photo Of Buhari In Ogoniland In 1984 / 105 Nigerian Soldiers Missing: Army Confirms PREMIUM TIMES Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by TechWalker007: 11:13pm On Dec 19, 2015
You read through and you ask how Nigeria is repeating her past. You'll think the writer was referring to the present Buhari's government.

NIGERIAN MILITARY IS SEEN AS LOSING SUPPORT
By CLIFFORD D. MAY
Published: May 1, 1984

LAGOS, Nigeria, April 29— Four months after seizing power, Nigeria's military leaders appear to be suffering an erosion of popular support.

Last Dec. 31, Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari led a group of young officers in a coup against the civilian Government of President Shehu Shagari, saying the takeover was necessary to save Nigeria, Africa's richest and most populous nation, from economic collapse.

The military intervention appeared at the time to enjoy enthusiastic support from a broad range of Nigeria's population.

Many intellectuals argued that the corruption and incompetence of the Shagari administration had made drastic action both necessary and inevitable. Traders, merchants and people in the streets welcomed the soldiers and looked forward to a quick improvement in their standard of living.

Growing Disappointment

Recently, however, there seems to be growing disappointment with both the military Government's approach and pace.

''Since coming to power, this Government has not found a single problem,'' said Dr. Olu Onagoruwa, a prominent lawyer and a longtime opponent of the Shagari administration. ''But it has managed to alienate the judiciary, the press, labor and students - all the groups that supported it just a few months ago.''

Critics of the military Government point out that it has yet to present its budget. Loan negotiations with the International Monetary Fund continue but Western economists say that Nigeria and the I.M.F. appear to be further apart now than during the final days of the Shagari administration.

Early indications that General Buhari would agree to devalue Nigeria's currency, liberalize trade and reduce domestic petroleum subsidies have so far not materialized. Prices Have Climbed

In addition, prices for food and other essential commodities, which fell in the first weeks after the coup largely because of the presence of soldiers in the marketplaces, have now returned to or exceeded their levels before the coup. Unemployment has been rising, and many of the imported raw materials and spare parts needed to keep factories running have been lacking.

Critics note further that political activity and even debate have been banned and some students organizations have been outlawed. There has been a clampdown on Nigeria's press, and the country's traditionally independent judiciary has also seen its role sharply diminished.

''At the moment we're looking at a clear movement toward authoritarian dictatorship,'' said Stanley N. Macebuh, executive editor of The Guardian, an independent newspaper that had often taken the Shagari administration to task. ''It's a trend that disturbs a lot of people, not least those who welcomed the change of government.''

Spokesmen for the military leadership maintain that they know what they are doing and refuse to be rushed. They deny the charges of inaction, saying that steps have been taken. Trials Being Prepared

The Government, they say, has put much energy into investigating the corruption of the Shagari administration and in preparing tribunals to try the accused, close to 500 of whom are now under detention.

Officials say about 2,000 illegal aliens have been ejected from the country and several thousand people have been detained in a crackdown on suspected criminals and Moslem extremists.

They say Nigeria's bloated bureaucracy has been streamlined through the dismissal of thousands of officials and civil servants.

Three weeks ago an agreement was reached in London on converting a part of Nigeria's uninsured trade debts into loans.

The Government's critics respond that the economic initiatives treat symptoms rather than causes and aid the larger issue of how to restructure Nigeria's economy.

A Western diplomat said General Buhari ''could have accomplished so much if he had moved quickly and boldly in the early days when his popularity was still so high and when he could have credibly blamed everything on Shagari.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/05/01/world/nigerian-military-is-seen-as-losing-support.html

4 Likes

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by curiobling: 11:25pm On Dec 19, 2015
you ve got what you all voted for...change to setback or moving forward,? we shall see

3 Likes

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Vanpascore(m): 11:28pm On Dec 19, 2015
so?
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by knostbrown01(m): 11:32pm On Dec 19, 2015
A leopard can not change its skin....

3 Likes

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Bigprozzie: 11:35pm On Dec 19, 2015
curiobling:
you ve got what you all voted for...change to setback or moving forward,? we shall see

Key observations:

Many intellectuals argued that the corruption and incompetence of the Shagari administration had made drastic action both necessary and inevitable. Traders, merchants and people in the streets welcomed the soldiers and looked forward to a quick improvement in their standard of living.

Actually this is excellent revisionism that shows that we made the right decision to vote for Buhari

The article shows that Buhari has a long history of fighting corruption!

Unlike 1983 when he was a military Head of State, he now has a 4 year mandate (at the least). I am almost 100% sure, he will rule this country till 2023. By then, we will have institutions that no longer tolerate or aid corrupt practices.

Buhari should take his time to address corruption. This is the main issue facing Nigeria. Under Jonathan, within the space of 5 years, the country lost over $30 billion to corruption. That is enough money to provide 24/7 electricity, clean up most of the environmental degradation in the Niger Delta, build roads and necessary infrastructure.

This is dejavu but a positive one.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by ZKOSOSO(m): 11:37pm On Dec 19, 2015
Once a dictator always a dictator! We screamed to the high heavens for all to run from the change chanting zombies, but they won't listen.

A Leopard cannot change its colour....ever!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by WebSurfer(m): 11:43pm On Dec 19, 2015
wink
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by MizMyColi(f): 11:45pm On Dec 19, 2015
Truth be told, I don't believe in Buhari.
Nothing about APC appeals to me, except their savvy use of mass and digital media.

However, in the face of daily wails and complaints from every nook and cranny.
I have decided to complain, and yet maintain a positive outlook.
I have started by confessing positive.
This nation is in the hands of the Nigerian people to save, the government up there don't care.
This is just the truth, no hating.

Even if it's not visible to my eyes...
I declare that 2016 will be far better.
Even if the whole world is complaining of scarcity, God will raise men and women who will lead us in all sense of selflessness and sincerity of purpose amid scarce resources.

I pity the president, and at the same time, I'm angry at himangry

All in all, I believe that things will be well.
Tonight, I express hope for the coming year.
As long as I remain a citizen of this country, we will not fail. We will get better.
We, the people need to start seeing Nation building as a collective task.

Let the government continue doing as they wish, a day of reckoning beckons for all those who abysmally and dismally work against the interests of this nation to the detriment of their fellow citizens.

14 Likes

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by braine(m): 11:51pm On Dec 19, 2015
I like the background and the fact that its being repeated. Nigeria needs strong and strict hands.

1 Like

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Saifullah01: 12:18am On Dec 20, 2015
This article was written few months into the buhari first stint as military head of state. And we all agree that the general consensus is that if buhari had stayed longer then Nigeria would have been on an irreversible positive trajectory.

If anything this article should give us reassurance that buhari is strong willed, steady hands meticulous planner, this time with the international community at his side.

4 Likes

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Nobody: 12:31am On Dec 20, 2015
wow, look at my signature.. am I an oracle or what
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Pidggin(f): 12:43am On Dec 20, 2015
This is exactly what we are experiencing at the moment. He can never change

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Orjioorji(f): 12:45am On Dec 20, 2015
God bless Ndi Igbo
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by BobUg28(m): 12:57am On Dec 20, 2015
What do you expect when you vote for a man who couldn't present his school certificate before the indigens of Nigeria?
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by BobUg28(m): 1:02am On Dec 20, 2015
We saw it from the outset, the reason why so many people voted in APC centred on the fat and juicy promises the was cursively written in their manifestos. We were all made to privy into all that before preventing iy.
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by LasgidyPort: 2:57am On Dec 20, 2015
BobUg28:
We saw it from the outset, the reason why so many people voted in APC centred on the fat and juicy promises the was cursively written in their manifestos. We were all made to privy into all that before preventing iy.

People did not care about any juicy promises of APC.

People voted APC mainly because they got tired of the PDP govt of Jona.

1 Like

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by BobUg28(m): 8:06am On Dec 20, 2015
LasgidyPort:

People did not care about any juicy promises of APC.

People voted APC mainly because they got tired of the PDP govt of Jona.

What difference has they made?

1 Like

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by BlackPeni5: 9:11am On Dec 20, 2015
Wow...A leopard truly cannot change is spots. I could have sworn that this report was written in 2015. Everything that happened then is happening again...may God help us.
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by drss(m): 9:18am On Dec 20, 2015
curiobling:
hahahahahaha zoogerians go hear am. grin history repeating itself!
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by Sweetguy25: 9:39am On Dec 20, 2015
Buhari is cursed. Satan swear for that man that He will never rule Nigeria in a time of relative stability and Economic growth. And he'll be removed from power after he has ruled for two years. This time around, his removal will be from natural causes. grin

1 Like

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by TechWalker007: 4:09pm On Dec 20, 2015
Bigprozzie:

Key observations:

Actually this is excellent revisionism that shows that we made the right decision to vote for Buhari

Unlike 1983 when he was a military Head of State, he now has a 4 year mandate (at the least). I am almost 100% sure, he will rule this country till 2023. By then, we will have institutions that no longer tolerate or aid corrupt practices.

Buhari should take his time to address corruption. This is the main issue facing Nigeria. Under Jonathan, within the space of 5 years, the country lost over $30 billion to corruption. That is enough money to provide 24/7 electricity, clean up most of the environmental degradation in the Niger Delta, build roads and necessary infrastructure.

This is a failed attempt to turn the article on its head.

1. The article was written about Buhari's failures and not a justification for the coup that brought him.
2. Every coup had the deception of "saving the nation" for on corruption and decay, including the one that removed Buhari (Google Babangida's first speech after his coup)
3. Lastly, take note of keywords like pace, currency devaluation, delayed budget, alienating groups such as judiciary, students, labor and all. Take note of the attempt to gag the press, increasing food and essential commodities prices. Take note of the mass retrenchment of public officers then and now.
Failure has come to repeat his failures.

Looking at the article, it's dejavu all over again. And we know it was not a positive one the first time. It's also not a positive one today as you, even if you deceive yourself, you're suffering the same fate.
We are stuck in the same circle as Buhari took Nigeria in 2 years.

And for those who are too young to know, till date, Shagari era saw the best governors ever in many states.
Most civil servants became landlords during Shagari.
Ever heard of "Shagari Estates" around Nigeria?
Many of Shagari's legacies are there till date, but not a single positive legacy from Buhari's first time as Head of State.

Guess what, when Babangida overthrew him, people went to the streets in celebration!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by TechWalker007: 4:17pm On Dec 20, 2015
Saifullah01:
This article was written few months into the buhari first stint as military head of state. And we all agree that the general consensus is that if buhari had stayed longer then Nigeria would have been on an irreversible positive trajectory.

If anything this article should give us reassurance that buhari is strong willed, steady hands meticulous planner, this time with the international community at his side.

Stop deceiving yourself. Buhari is a failure. He was the first time, he's repeating everything again. Didn't even change the template.
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by MizMyColi(f): 5:59pm On Dec 20, 2015
DeviIhimself:

Gbam! nice one from my love kiss

where's omenka sef cheesy
Your nemesis don show tongue

My dear
Happy Sunday.
Ke'nke n'eme.

1 Like

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by MizMyColi(f): 6:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
DeviIhimself:

i just dey dear kiss

kudos with your tormenting cheesy

Lolz
I don kuku dey repent these days.
Lol

1 Like

Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by coolscott(m): 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2015
[size=13pt]The thing that struck me the most is that the article looks like an 80s replica of what one might write about the regime today.

In other words, if the NYTimes is to write about the administration today, the article might not be much different from this one.

Actually, all the complaints in that 1984 article have been made in articles written this year about the current administration.

Can anyone pick out any complaint in the old article that has not been made this time around about this administration
[/size]
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by theshadyexpress(m): 7:20pm On Dec 20, 2015
all i can say is that a 1984 'mistake' cannot be a 2015 'solution' i don't know why Nigerians where conveniently made to think otherwise but the truth is gradually coming out and reality is gradually finding its bearing. May God help us
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by igwe123: 12:48am On Dec 21, 2015
Bigprozzie:

Key observations:

what u quoted is a reference to the expectations when buhari took over while the article is about the disapointment four months later
Re: A New York Times Report On Gen Buhari Government In 1984 by slimfit1(m): 1:12am On Dec 21, 2015
Success is a slow process failure is a fast process. Baban Buhari I support you pdp want to be using articles to cause confusion, the fight against corruption continues if it reaches you or your fathers father you are going to jail my friends.

Carry on Buhari

Climb a hill check the amounts of time it took you to get there and jump from the hill check how many seconds it took you to reach the bottom .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Niger Delta Militants Reiterates Vow To Unleash 6 Missiles, Targets Aso Villa / PHOTOS: IG Ibrahim Idris Visits Chief Of Army Staff T.Y Buratai At His Office / Nigerian Boko Haram Recruiter Okoh Godwin Arrested In Senegal - Associated Press

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.