Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,149 members, 7,973,882 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 09:35 AM

The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) (47732 Views)

VIOLENT. The Kingdom Of Heaven Suffers Violence. The Misinterpretation . / Christians,was The Gospel Account Of Matthew Divinely Inspired? / The Misinterpretation Of The Palm Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by butanep(m): 9:30pm On Dec 20, 2015
abitex577:
@Op, please don't just quote a verse of the scripture and draw up a conclusion, I advise even that particular scripture you should refer to other versions of Bible like New Living Translation, NIV, Message etc and above all ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. Mathew 11 shows how John the Baptist was put in prision for correcting Herod, and Christ actually testified of the personality of who John was and also reflected how the Kingdom of God is being attacked violently and only the violent/resolute/aggressive christian can make impact (John 11:12). Have asked yourself why on the eve of Christ arrest and crucifixion while he was praying in the garden of Gethsemane, His sweat was like blood? Do you think, someone praying quietly will be sweating and His sweat will be like blood?

You are very intelligent to decode this fact. I have also reason it to that direction. Even when Daniel prayed, he open his windows and the king heard him. That is how he was arrested by the king.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 9:32pm On Dec 20, 2015
The Bible is open to various translations...but y'all should pray for understanding so that you don't mislead people with your BS. If you understand it in a way and it works for you, let another man understand it in his own way and let it work for him too. Stop trying to force your shit down people's throats.

As for the verse in question, I think Jesus was referring to the violent opposition that the kingdom of God on earth had been facing since John the baptist started his ministry. And the violent taking it by force could refer to the way the Pharisees and Sadducees tried to dictate what granted a person access to God's favor or not. this they did through acts of violence by imprisoning and attempting to kill John and Jesus for preaching against their ways.

I dont think Jesus was asking us to pray violently and covet the kingdom of God...At least in Matthew 6 v 7 He said "When you pray, don't babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again." NLV
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by STEVENcrack(m): 9:33pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Well... this is lamentable

We along with you, thank God for small mercies such as the newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5

True, it doesnt in any way or have anything to do with prayers, as some, by most preachers are led to believe

Unfortunately this whole statement is inaccurate,
as it isnt about spreading the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs
but rather has more to do about/with, how some, upon hearing the good news of the kingdom of God, are forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven

Forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven, as in or because the gate is narrow (i.e. Matthew 7:13-14)

13"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate.
The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.

14But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it
- Matthew 7:13-14

Though you have good intentions in bringing attention to the misinterpreted verse
and highlighting the eisegesis perpetrated with this verse by ignorant and/or unscrupulous preachers, pastors etcetera,
you too have slipped on the banana skin and fallen victim to misinterpreting the verse

Very disrespectul isnt it?
Apart from babies, would an earthly father/mother be swayed or influenced by loud talk, screams, shouts, display of militant aggressiveness etcetera when having conversations, dialogues, exchanges, discussions or mitigations with his/her kid(s)?

The Siege of Jerusalem in the year 70 AD was the death of tithing and the destruction of the temple put the last nail in the tithing coffin.
Obligatory tithing, resurrected tithing, tithing-under-any-form-of-disguise is tantamount to extortion

Let me end with providing the witness scripture (i.e. Luke 16:16) that not only backs Mathew 11:12 up
but also puts Mathew 11:12 into perspective (i.e. Luke 16:16 makes the gist in Mathew 11:12 clearer)

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence,
and the violent take it by force.

- Mathew 11:12

"Moses' Teachings and the Prophets were [in force] until the time of John.
Since that time, people have been telling the Good News about the kingdom of God,
and everyone is trying to force their way into it

- Luke 16:16

"Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides.
But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in

''Suffereth'' in Mathew 11:12 means tolerated, allowed, permitted
and the ''violence'' in Mathew 11:12 DOES NOT mean behaviour involving physical force with intention to hurt, damage, kill or be destructive
but rather eagerness to push in, to press in etcetera through the ''narrow gate'' in order to gain access into entering the Kingdom of Heaven
Thanks a lot bro, you wrote with precision and in brevity without mincing words. Thanks for clearing this out BUT I still have a verse that I need help with concerning this tithes stuff(1corin16:2) and why do my conscience always prick me whenever I miss out on remitting my tithes.

Regards.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
The Bible is open to various translations...but y'all should pray for understanding so that you don't mislead people with your BS. If you understand it in a way and it works for you, let another man understand it in his own way and let it work for him too. Stop trying to force your poo down people's throats.

As for the verse in question, I think Jesus was referring to the violent opposition that the kingdom of God on earth had been facing since John the baptist started his ministry. And the violent taking it by force could refer to the way the Pharisees and Sadducees tried to dictate what granted a person access to God's favor or not. this they did through acts of violence by imprisoning and attempting to kill John and Jesus for preaching against their ways.

I dont think Jesus was asking us to pray violently and covet the kingdom of God...At least in Matthew 6 v 7 He said "When you pray, don't babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again." NLV
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by charmingeyes(m): 9:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Well... this is lamentable

We along with you, thank God for small mercies such as the newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5

True, it doesnt in any way or have anything to do with prayers, as some, by most preachers are led to believe

Unfortunately this whole statement is inaccurate,
as it isnt about spreading the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs
but rather has more to do about/with, how some, upon hearing the good news of the kingdom of God, are forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven

Forcibly entering the Kingdom of Heaven, as in or because the gate is narrow (i.e. Matthew 7:13-14)

13"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate.
The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way.

14But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it
- Matthew 7:13-14

Though you have good intentions in bringing attention to the misinterpreted verse
and highlighting the eisegesis perpetrated with this verse by ignorant and/or unscrupulous preachers, pastors etcetera,
you too have slipped on the banana skin and fallen victim to misinterpreting the verse

Very disrespectul isnt it?
Apart from babies, would an earthly father/mother be swayed or influenced by loud talk, screams, shouts, display of militant aggressiveness etcetera when having conversations, dialogues, exchanges, discussions or mitigations with his/her kid(s)?

The Siege of Jerusalem in the year 70 AD was the death of tithing and the destruction of the temple put the last nail in the tithing coffin.
Obligatory tithing, resurrected tithing, tithing-under-any-form-of-disguise is tantamount to extortion

Let me end with providing the witness scripture (i.e. Luke 16:16) that not only backs Mathew 11:12 up
but also puts Mathew 11:12 into perspective (i.e. Luke 16:16 makes the gist in Mathew 11:12 clearer)

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence,

Since that time, people have been telling the Good News about the kingdom of God,

"Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides.
But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in

and the ''violence'' in Mathew 11:12 DOES NOT mean behaviour involving physical force with intention to hurt, damage, kill or be destructive
but rather eagerness to push in, to press in etcetera through the ''narrow gate'' in order to gain access into entering the Kingdom of Heaven

Pointblank.

Seriously, I'll say people who misinterpret this passage do so as the level of grace available to them allows.
It's our duty then to diligently, (through the Holy Spirit's help), guide them to the path of the real truth in Christ's gospel. Amen.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 9:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
omojeesu:
The verse can be paraphrased as:

The Kingdom of Heaven is under the attack of contrary forces but anyone that wants to enter that kingdom must overcome the contrary forces.

Try reading it in other versions such as Amplified and Message versions.
You've paraphrased inaccurately

Was the Kingdom of Heaven not under the attack of contrary forces prior to the days of John the Baptist?

Remember it states: ...from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence

Remember the Kingdom of God wasnt preached until John the Baptist on to now
This is not about ''contrary forces''
but rather it is about ''friendly forces'' who upon hearing the Good News about the Kingdom of God preached from the days of John the Baptist until now (i.e. the present), the Kingdom of Heaven has allow, permitted or tolerated (i.e. suffereth) them (i.e. the ''friendly forces'') to press in, push in, force their way in (i.e. so they, as violent but not in a destructive or evil manner) via the narrow gate to enter the Kingdom of Heaven
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
The violent is used in the context of upon hearing about the Good News of the Kingdom of God from the days of John the Baptist to now, people forcing themselves in through the narrow gate to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

The ''suffereth'' has previously mentioned above means tolerate, allow, permit
Matthew 19:14, Luke 18:16 etcetera will help put the meaning of ''suffereth'' or ''suffer'' into pespective

But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me:
for of such is the kingdom of heaven

- Matthew 19:14

But Jesus called them unto him, and said,
Suffer little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God
- Luke 18:16

This is an observational statement made by Jesus, noticed about the kingdom entries
(i.e. people are keen or eager to pressfully/forciably enter the kingdom though the gate is narrow)
and not a criteria statement of fervent hardwork thru service, worship, praise, prayers and been righteous before God for kingdom entry

You're mistaken
Before John the Baptist era there was heavy persecution of God's people
During John the Baptist era there was heavy persecution of God's people
After John the Baptist era there was heavy persecution of God's people
Now, there still is heavy persecution of God's people
you are mistaken abt what was going on during John the baptist Era.....before John the baptist worshipping God was never accounted as crime and also try to understand why his baptism was required....before the new testament the power of the pharisees and sedducees has grown into been a key factor as a decision maker...all this lead to assault on Gods people with less tolerate....

Jesus spoke mostly in proverbs....that suffereeth means diff thibgs in alot of bible...and pls dont tell me KJV is the real bible cos we all know King James was a protestant who broke out from catholic
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by icybeth(m): 9:49pm On Dec 20, 2015
You are establishing a fact and at d same time advertising a product.true talk sha.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 20, 2015
samted:
The Bible is open to various translations...but y'all should pray for understanding so that you don't mislead people with your BS. If you understand it in a way and it works for you, let another man understand it in his own way and let it work for him too. Stop trying to force your poo down people's throats.

u have spoken well
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 9:53pm On Dec 20, 2015
kallmemrB:
you are mistaken abt what was going on during John the baptist Era.....before John the baptist worshipping God was never accounted as crime and also try to understand why his baptism was required....before the new testament the power of the pharisees and sedducees has grown into been a key factor as a decision maker...all this lead to assault on Gods people with less tolerate....

Jesus spoke mostly in proverbs....that suffereeth means diff thibgs in alot of bible...and pls dont tell me KJV is the real bible cos we all know King James was a protestant who broke out from catholic
We are reading Mathew 11:12 in context and doing an exegesis on it
and not doing an eisegesis or going off on a tangent with some KJV-protestant-catholic distraction
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2015
kallmemrB:
u have spoken well

thank you.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Snoolv360(m): 10:02pm On Dec 20, 2015
As for me, I do not disagree with anyone here, if you know how to pray violently it's your choice and if it's the quiet type you choose it's all well and good. The Bible did not mandate or instructed us to be violent when we are praying or quiet while praying, it's for everyone to choose a more convenient way to talk to our creator. Am in different
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Frankel7(m): 10:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
U don pass d msg naa! Na we know say u don finally succeed to get Tecnoise Phantomtom v. Enjoy am as e dey hot!!! grin grin angry
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by jamalchance(m): 10:09pm On Dec 20, 2015
this topic was totally on point .... Why must we shout to pray to me praying is just like asking .... Do u shout at ur fellow man wen u need something from him ?
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 10:17pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
We are reading Mathew 11:12 in context and doing an exegesis on it
and not doing an eisegesis or going off on a tangent with some KJV-protestant-catholic distraction
just pointing out the obvious and also that diff bible diff interpretation.....if you are well equiped with the Holy spirit ,you will understand that one particular verse can mean alot of diff things depending on the situation at that very moment

like how "Jesus wept" can be interpreted in diff ways

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by compujyde: 10:23pm On Dec 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 20, 2015
abitex577:
@Op, please don't just quote a verse of the scripture and draw up a conclusion, I advise even that particular scripture you should refer to other versions of Bible like New Living Translation, NIV, Message etc and above all ask the Holy Spirit to give you understanding. Mathew 11 shows how John the Baptist was put in prision for correcting Herod, and Christ actually testified of the personality of who John was and also reflected how the Kingdom of God is being attacked violently and only the violent/resolute/aggressive christian can make impact (John 11:12). Have asked yourself why on the eve of Christ arrest and crucifixion while he was praying in the garden of Gethsemane, His sweat was like blood? Do you think, someone praying quietly will be sweating and His sweat will be like blood?
WHY NOT read the comments of others and gain some knowledge.
You must not stand behind the TEACHINGS in your mind, and of your pastor.
That JESUS' "bleeding sweat" was because HE was praying aggressively?
Smh.
Don't poke fun at JESUS Please.
THE END.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Jay0079: 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2015
READ Ephesians 6 all through,then

EPHESIANS 6:17-And take the helmet of Salvation and the Sword of the Spirit,which is the WORD OF GOD
NB- SWORD OF THE SPIRIT synonymous with VIOLENCE
Luke 16:16-The law and the prophets were until John:Since that time the kingdom of God is preached,and every man presseth into it

NB- Everyman presseth not entereth , and Not All ENTereth.The prophesies and law (Word of the LORD) has been fulfilled so Preached convincingly

Mathew 11:12-And from the days of John the Baptist until
now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence,
and the violent take it by force
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by omojeesu(m): 10:27pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
You've paraphrased inaccurately

Was the Kingdom of Heaven not under the attack of contrary forces prior to the days of John the Baptist?

Remember it states: ...from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence

Remember the Kingdom of God wasnt preached until John the Baptist on to now
This is not about ''contrary forces''
but rather it is about ''friendly forces'' who upon hearing the Good News about the Kingdom of God preached from the days of John the Baptist until now (i.e. the present), the Kingdom of Heaven has allow, permitted or tolerated (i.e. suffereth) them (i.e. the ''friendly forces'') to press in, push in, force their way in (i.e. so they, as violent but not in a destructive or evil manner) via the narrow gate to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

YOU MEAN

'Since the days of John the Baptist, people have been pressing on the Kingdom of Heaven to enter it but those who push hard enough are the ones who succeed to enter into it'

Since John, the Kingdom has been strongly appealing to men who because of that have been flocking / rushing into it and those who are determined to enter it seize it and hold on to it powerfully!
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 10:33pm On Dec 20, 2015
STEVENcrack:
Thanks a lot bro, you wrote with precision and in brevity without mincing words

Thanks for clearing this out BUT I still have a verse that I need help with concerning this tithes stuff (1 Corinthians 16:2)
Bro, if you are honest and sincere with yourself, you will know and admit that 1 Corinthians 16:2 has nothing whatsoever to do with tithe stuff

As a matter of fact bro, if you are seriously honest and sincere with yourself,
you will know and admit that 1 Corinthians 16:2 is about a collection for the saints (i.e. collection for believers)

1 Corinthians 16:2 was a request made by Paul to the Corinthians,
that at the first day of the week (i.e. Sunday) they should in proportion to what they have, weekly lay aside something from their surplus,
and save it in the house until when he next turns up to pick it up,
all this so no collection bowl will have to be passed around for the benefit of the saints when he comes visiting

STEVENcrack:
and why do my conscience always prick me whenever I miss out on remitting my tithes.

Regards.
Tithing is like the law of gravity, it will always bring one down
but if operating on a higher law, like the law of Aerodynamics, you will soar

The tithe giver is operating under the Law and would always be pinned down by the law,
the cheerful cheerful is operating with Grace and would always soar in the air with grace

You can rendered that ''my conscience always prick me whenever I miss out on remitting my tithes'' inoperative
by being mindful of 2 Corinthians 9:7

''You must each decide in your heart how much to give.
And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure.
"For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.''

- 2 Corinthians 9:7

and if you want to do religion, then James 1:27 is the kind of religion God approves

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Funpeter: 10:36pm On Dec 20, 2015
Ojestas:

My boss, Funpeter... been a while! When Jesus was teaching his disciples how to pray, it was soft prayer... they didn't even close their eyes. . But i know some prayers might need some aggression, not all tho'
Boss I agree with you......how is life now? wishing Godspeed.
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by elvision1(m): 10:41pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:

Don't mind those over zealous preachers who are led by entertaining the church...

Concerning the Tithe tingy, lemme say it well!

Who are those who should receive tithes? Levites right? Who are the Levite's? A Tribe in Israel that God didn't give any land sharing right? Is there any Levite today? How come the only place the reference is Malachi 3:10 and it specifically referring to these category he didn't give a land portion to? Also, how come them Paul, Jesus, Peter and all didn't even mention paying tithes or something?

I don't say we shouldn't give o! All I know from the scriptures is giving to thee poor and needy and not some fat bank account men who don't need our money

so wait oh! That poor woman that gave a coin whom jesus said she gave the most, who was she giving to? And don't forget the woman that wanted to eat her last meal with her son and die but instead gave it to the prophet then it got multiplied. What do you say? See there is a difference between reading the scriptures and understanding the mystery behind it. The word communion was only done in one place in the bible and only to jesus desciples. So why are u still enganging it till now? (or you don't believe in that too?) see the price u pay is from the heart not from your hand. Even if your pastor is a theif God sees your heart as long as you give according to his word.

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 10:47pm On Dec 20, 2015
kallmemrB:
just pointing out the obvious and also that diff bible diff interpretation.....
Bible translations arent God inspired
Scriptures (i.e. Bible) were translated differently for political reasons, hidden agenda, denominational bias, ulterior motives, doctrinal basis etcetera

kallmemrB:
if you are well equipped with the Holy spirit, you will understand that one particular verse can mean a lot of diff things depending on the situation at that very moment
I'll repeat we are trying to understand Mathew 11:12 in its context
and doing an exegesis on it at around that very moment when Jesus made that statement
and not doing an eisegesis or trying to know the ''different'' meaning of a verse ''depending on the situation''

kallmemrB:
like how "Jesus wept" can be interpreted in diff ways
''Jesus wept'' can be interpreted only in one way
and that one way, is in the context (i.e. background) of how that statement came about (i.e. the context or background surrounding the phrase)
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Yorubago(f): 11:03pm On Dec 20, 2015
sammieee:
Shout for joy is different from violence. I agree with your point about the scriptural ref that you made but i disagree with two of what u posted. Our God is not a deaf and dumb God. He hears everybody voice, being a sinner or a righteous. What He just hate is the sin in us. The second point is on tithe. According to Malachi 3 vs 10, God Himself says to we sons of Jacob (Isreal) that we should bring all tithe into the "storehouse" and he continue that we should prove Him now if He will not open the windows of heaven and pour out His blessings. If God Himself said this and He also say He exhort his words more than His name then it is left to you to pay ur tithe and offering or not. The most important thing is dat pay it to the right place. Let God lead you... He said we should prove Him. I will like to be corrected if am not making point...

Please read Malachi 3 in full! The store house they were talking about there was where Levite's were staying and not a Church like we have it now

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 11:08pm On Dec 20, 2015
omojeesu:
YOU MEAN

'Since the days of John the Baptist, people have been pressing on the Kingdom of Heaven to enter it but those who push hard enough are the ones who succeed to enter into it'
Yes, exactly what it means as the gate is narrow, so you'll have to forcibly push yourself in to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven upon hearing the Good News of the Kingdom of God

Remember that, it was John the Baptist who was announcing ''Repent, repent'', (i.e. Change, change) for the Kingdom of God is near
before Jesus and His disciples came on stage, to finally announce that Kingdom of God has come near to the hearers

omojeesu:
Since John, the Kingdom has been strongly appealing to men who because of that have been flocking / rushing into it and those who are determined to enter it seize it and hold on to it powerfully!
Exactly.
As the gate is narrow, you'll have to force your way in, you have no alternative that to force or press your way in,
the Kingdom of Heaven allowed, tolerated, permitted (i.e. suffereth'') these ''the violent'' to enter in this manner

Here is the witness scripture (i.e. Luke 16:16) that not only backs Mathew 11:12 up

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 11:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Bible translations arent God inspired
Scriptures (i.e. Bible) were translated differently for political reasons, hidden agenda, denominational bias, ulterior motives, doctrinal basis etcetera

I'll repeat we are trying to understand Mathew 11:12 in its context
and doing an exegesis on it at around that very moment when Jesus made that statement
and not doing an eisegesis or trying to know the ''different'' meaning of a verse ''depending on the situation''

''Jesus wept'' can be interpreted only in one way
and that one way, is in the context (i.e. background) of how that statement came about (i.e. the context or background surrounding the phrase)
now i concur....u are not well learned abt bible...so pls dont counter others interpretation
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Yorubago(f): 11:11pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff

You've been doing a good job with the these replies but please know this today!

The Kingdom of God is different from the Kingdom of Heaven!

Heaven's Kingdom is where we'll be harvested to and the Kingdom of God is here on heart in our hearts according to the Bible
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 11:25pm On Dec 20, 2015
kallmemrB:
now i concur....u are not well learned abt bible...so pls dont counter others interpretation
SMH at the dogged sheer display of incorrigibility

When the Bible is intentionally/unintentonally read out of context, that's how and when erroneous assumptions creeps in
When the Bible is interpreted out of context, that's how and when erroneous assumptions creeps in
When the Bible is mistranslated and/or mistransliterated that's how and when erroneous assumptions creeps in
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
SMH at the dogged sheer display of incorrigibility

When the Bible is intentionally/unintentonally read out of context, that's how and when erroneous assumptions creeps in
When the Bible is interpreted out of context, that's how and when erroneous assumptions creeps in
When the Bible is mistranslated and/or mistransliterated that's how and when erroneous assumptions creeps in
what made Jesus weep?
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by sunkieisland(m): 11:39pm On Dec 20, 2015
BustScam:
When I see young people claim to be atheists or something of sort, I do not blame them but blame those preachers who have decided to be teaching is heresy and nothing more.

As I was reading through Nairaland beginning from 1:20pm on my newly acquired Tecno Phantom 5, I observed that many people have misrepresented the scriptures as penned down in Mathew 11:12

Let's see what the scriptures indeed say about it.

Mathew 11:12

KJV:And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

The truth about this verse is simple; it does talk about aggressiveness or violence but it does not in any way talk about it in prayers as we have been told by most preachers.

The verse talks about how many from time past have been violent in preaching the message of the Kingdom of God and not even of Heaven o as some may conclude! The verse talks about how we as CHRISTIANS are supposed to be spread the message of living in the Kingdom of God where Jesus is the King in charge of all affairs.

The verse has been so misquoted that it is the first thing preachers use when they want to tell you to SHOUT, SCREAM, ROAR with NOISE before God hears you meanwhile the Bible has already stated why God doesn't hear people at times (SIN).

It is therefore imperative that we come to terms about God not being influenced by anyone's loud prayers or screams or shouts PR aggressiveness during prayers! It is unscriptural just like paying tithes to a pastor is for members of the Kingdom of God.

Let me stop writing here while I listen to those I read some comments from on my clean an clear Tecno Phantom 5 mobike phone and birth this Holy Spirit inspired rhema: MizMyColi, tosyne2much, YourMain, chibwike, DonChippy, TedBaker, Rukkydelta, precious91, sunnyclif and others :-)

wetin concern ya tecno phantom 5, with d scripture you're expounding...

Na you dey become pastor, dey take your Bentley preach how you take do evangelism...

Na joke ooooo.

1 Like

Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by mpeg(m): 11:41pm On Dec 20, 2015
Since the day of John the Baptism, the Kingdom of God suffered violent... is not in any way talking about Prayer... But we could remember that it was prophesy that Elijah will come to prepare a way before Jesus Christ will Come... Also we could remember that John the Baptist mother was six months pregnant already before Mary the mother of Jesus conceived.
now the vers tells us that spiritually, Satan never want Jesus to be born on earth in the first place... so he did all He could to stop the birth of John the Baptist..
we could remember that John the baptist mother suffered from not getting pregnant for years.. to the extend that the parents loss there faith about the prophesy to Johns birth...
so it was really violent spiritually.. but violent taked it by force truly... so the vers is not in anyway talking about prayer....
Please note that is only the Holy Ghost can teach u the things of the Bible... so encourage Him to come into your life today... we should stop reading the Bible Canaly... thank u all
Re: The Misinterpretation Of Matthew 11:12 In The Bible (Violent Prayers) by MuttleyLaff: 11:42pm On Dec 20, 2015
Yorubago:
MuttleyLaff

You've been doing a good job with the these replies but please know this today!

The Kingdom of God is different from the Kingdom of Heaven!

Heaven's Kingdom is where we'll be harvested to and the Kingdom of God is here on heart in our hearts according to the Bible
You would have noticed how and when differently, I deliberately used Kingdom of God and Kingdom of Heaven
e.g. you hear about the Good News of the Kingdom of God etcetera

The Kingdom of God is the rule of God, rule over something, anything, someone, somebody, your heart for instance etcetera
which is why Jesus said the Kingdom of God is within you or us

The Kingdom of Heaven is territorial, extending from Heaven to the end of designated points
(i.e. John the Baptist announcing it's near, to Jesus announcing it's drawn near)

1In those days John the Baptist came to the Judean wilderness and began preaching. His message was,
2“Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.
- Matthew 3:1-2

From that time Jesus began to proclaim and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of the heavens has drawn near!"
- Matthew 4:17

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Collapses, Dies In Christ Apostolic Church Lagos, After 10-Day Fast / Sharon Oyakhilome And Phillip Frimpong Honeymoon Pictures / "You Must Confess", African Mother Goes Spiritual As Fox Breaks Into Her House

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.