Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,350 members, 7,888,119 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:51 PM

The Truth About Asthmatic Patients And Exercise - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Truth About Asthmatic Patients And Exercise (555 Views)

Asthmatic Patient Killed By Refuse At Douglas Road Owerri - Facebook User (Pics) / Pls Asthmatic Patients Get To Know / Asthmatic Patient Escapes Death In Port-Harcourt (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Asthmatic Patients And Exercise by smartsammie(m): 8:48pm On Dec 21, 2015
othing could be further from the truth. Olympic athletes like marathoner Paula Radcliffe and track star Jackie Joyner-Kersee excelled in their sports despite having asthma. In fact, being in shape means "less burden is placed on your lungs during activity," explains Dr Edelman. Physical activity also helps you maintain a healthy weight, reducing your asthma risk or, if you already have the disease, helping you breathe easier. An analysis of studies published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine in 2007 reported that the incidence of asthma increases by 50 percent in people who are overweight or obese. Researchers at Emory University in Atlanta found that obese patients with asthma were 66 percent more likely to have continuous symptoms, 36 percent more likely to miss work, and 52 percent more likely to have moderate or severe persistent asthma than people who weren't heavy. While the cause and effect isn't clear, one theory is that a hormone produced by fat cells contributes to airway inflammation. Working out makes you wheeze? Ask your doctor about using a quick-relief medication beforehand. And cover your mouth with a scarf if you exercise in cold weather.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Asthmatic Patients And Exercise by Tequilah: 9:17pm On Dec 21, 2015
Story, story....story! angry Reduces which dirty asthma risk?? shocked Please, those who are asthmatic should study the constitution of their bodies very well, before they embark on any so-called 'exercises.' What works for one person, may not work for another. I made the mistake of engaging in athletics in secondary school, and almost collapsed on the field wheezing in pain the very first time I attempted the 100 metres dash, when my lungs could not stand the strain. It was God that saved me that day. cry

Since then, I have avoided the track & field like a plague. Non-asthmatics should be careful, when they give such advice to people with a history of asthma. It is not everything that should be embarked upon. Seek your doctor's advice, first.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Asthmatic Patients And Exercise by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 21, 2015
Tequilah:
Story, story....story! angry Reduces which dirty asthma risk?? shocked Please, those who are asthmatic should study the constitution of their bodies very well, before they embark on any so-called 'exercises.' What works for one person, may not work for another. I made the mistake of engaging in athletics in secondary school, and almost collapsed on the field wheezing in pain the very first time I attempted the 100 metres dash, when my lungs could not stand the strain. It was God that saved me that day. cry

Since then, I have avoided the track & field like a plague. Non-asthmatics should be careful, when they give such advice to people with a history of asthma. It is not everything that should be embarked upon. Seek your doctor's advice, first.
tell em

(1) (Reply)

What's Really Causing Your Erectile Dysfunction? / How To Make Your Skin Glow In 5 Minutes. / Extended Situation Man Position Talk Of The Rexburn Larger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.