Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,828 members, 7,915,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 09:38 PM

Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. (1252 Views)

9 Marriage Taboo Ishan People Have That Will Amaze You / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die / Olomu: Where It’s Taboo For Pregnant Woman To Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by Beniyke007: 1:40am On Dec 22, 2015
TRADITIONS, CUSTOMS AND BELIEFS shaaaa.

Imagine! Am a Deltan and have been living in Asaba my State Capital for years now and never knew OGBONO Soup (draw soup) is a serious taboo here, strictly against their traditions and beliefs; and as such attracts serious traditional sanctions from the native authorities. Hmmmm!

Its so serious that Ogbono is not even sold openly in the open market talkmore of being grinded at the market as normally done. Though its still being sold somehow but smuggled and seriously hidden not to attract problem to one's self (both the seller and buyer). Trade in Ogbono here is so synonymous to the drug business - Marijuana or Cocaine that if you are being caught, Mehn! you are in for a long thing. You face the music with the traditional and native authorities. Lol! Funny Indeed.

Serious to the extent that most restaurants here dont even sell Ogbono Soup (draw soup) at all cause of the rigorous process of buying it and the implications of being caught in the process.

Was shocked on the revelation of this some days back and decided to share. Though i still eat it in ma place shaaa but never knew what they pass through buying it here. Guess i'll be more careful now. Lol!
Weird tradition and belief indeed. But no matter what, respect people's tradition especially when you are in their land, to avoid stories that touch.
Re: Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by Vision4God: 2:00am On Dec 22, 2015
Waaaattt shocked shocked
Ds is surprising...... hhmmm
Different culture different tradition
Re: Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by Izbanda01(f): 3:34am On Dec 22, 2015
Please, which part of Delta state? Definitely not Asaba.

1 Like

Re: Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by Wulfruna(f): 5:15am On Dec 22, 2015
Izbanda01:
Please, which part of Delta state? Definitely not Asaba.

Definitely not Asaba?

Are you from Asaba?
Re: Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by Hefemale: 6:24am On Dec 22, 2015
what a tradition!
Re: Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by menabae(f): 1:25pm On Dec 22, 2015
Ogbono soup my favorite. grin
Re: Ogbono (draw) Soup; A Taboo In Asaba, Delta State. by chukzyblingz(m): 4:01am On Dec 23, 2015
Asaba has many taboos, but I don't think this one is part of them. Ogbono soup is sold in almost all the restaurants I know. It's also sold in all the shops. But I don't know if it's sold in the market. Maybe this is a taboo in the market and not the whole of Asaba

(1) (Reply)

My DNA Is 74% Southwestern Nigeria / Independence Day Speech In Hindi / Urhobo Eschatology: Cult Of The Ancestors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.