Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,699 members, 7,882,388 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:23 AM

How To Quit Smoking Weed - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Quit Smoking Weed (808 Views)

Mentally Challenged Man Smoking Weed By Roadside In Ibadan (Photos) / Exercises That Help You To Quit Smoking / I'm Addicted To Codeine , Weed, Tramadol And Many More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Quit Smoking Weed by kenneth14(m): 4:24am On Dec 27, 2015
1. Will Power (Cold Turkey)
All you need to do is just stop smoking the stuff, right? Lots of people still believe that marijuana is a non-physically addicting substance.

However, scientific research shows that due to the way THC is metabolized by the body as well as due to the higher potency of pot out on the street these days, marijuana does indeed have physically addictive properties when smoked frequently. This becomes apparent in the withdrawal symptoms you experience when trying to quit.

Cannabis is a mood enhancer but it acts as a depressant when you’re coming down from a high. The physical and psychological attributes of weed are very powerful enemies to mere will power. If will power is all it took, would you even be on this site?

2. Rehab
Rehabilitation clinics will gladly take your money and treat you for marijuana addiction. If you’ve tried all other methods to quit weed with no success then going to rehab is probably the right decision. At the risk of offending the addiction industry though, I’m going to say that rehab is only for the most extreme cases when it comes to marijuana and usually there are other substances involved when rehab is the ultimate solution.

Cannabis is not on the life threatening level of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, etc. What marijuana mainly kills is your ambition, plans for the future, and long term fulfillment. So, moving on…..

3. Medical Treatment
A doctor may prescribe pharmaceuticals to help you with cravings, withdrawals, or depression. They will also probably refer you to a mental health practitioner depending on their own attitude about weed dependence. That’s the problem. Doctors are generally not trained in addiction issues, particularly when it comes to marijuana.

Though not true in most cases, fear that the doctor will be judgmental is unfortunately well founded. However, if you have a good relationship with a physician and feel comfortable discussing your habit with them, I encourage you to do so. Just try not to be disappointed if they don’t have many answers.

4. Addiction Counseling
Whether they’re a psychiatrist, psychologist, or licensed clinical social worker, these are the professionals who do have a formal education in addiction issues, particularly when it comes to alcohol or hard drugs – less so, unfortunately, when it comes to marijuana.

If you’ve got the time, good enough health insurance, or enough money, go to one. They will help you sort out all kinds of life’s problems and sometimes it’s the underlying problems that make people smoke too much weed.

Choose your therapist carefully though. Even in the psychiatric community there’s still a lot of debate and confusion about marijuana dependence.

5. Marijuana Anonymous (12-Step Meetings)
Marijuana Anonymous has lots of information on weed dependence and their strategy has proven beneficial for some people. They operate pretty much the same way as Alcoholics Anonymous which means they emphasize doing a 12-step program.

Like most other 12-step programs, there is a bit of a religious aspect to it. They also have online 12-step meetings and an online forum.

The problem with the Twelve Step approach is that it has come under fire in recent years for having only a 5-10% success rate. In other words, it’s kind of outdated and apparently ineffective for the majority of people.

6. Choose an Alternative Self Guided Program
This is the preferable option I was telling you about in the beginning which gives you the opportunity to quit weed successfully from the comfort of your own home, away from prying eyes, at your own pace, inexpensively, without having to go to 12-steps meetings or rehab.

There are a couple of these programs on the net but I chose the one I did because it had sold over 10,000 copies, I could not find any negative reviews on it, and it offered a 60 day unconditional money back guarantee. Even with the guarantee, I was reluctant to part with my money at first but then I realized it cost less than a good bag of weed.

Should you invest in yourself or invest in more weed? That is entirely up to you. One and a half years ago, I decided to invest in myself for a change. I never asked for a refund because it worked. So, if you want to check it out for yourself…..
Re: How To Quit Smoking Weed by Tundeiab(m): 4:38am On Dec 27, 2015
Thank God I no dey smoke. grin
Re: How To Quit Smoking Weed by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:48am On Dec 27, 2015
Ok! But, quitting smoking is all about personal decision..
Re: How To Quit Smoking Weed by kenneth14(m): 5:05am On Dec 27, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Ok! But, quitting smoking is all about personal decision..
sure it is very addictive

(1) (Reply)

Cream To Make A Chocolate Skin To Become Fair / Men - My Childhood; My Manhood; My Prostate.. Must Read!! / Period Starts And Stops After 1 Day.. Why Please??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.