Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,928 members, 7,886,524 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 11:27 AM

"Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria (25584 Views)

NCC To Increase Price Of Data To 250MB For N1000 / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services / What Will Happen If Mtn Nigeria Refuses To Pay Their Fine By 31st Of December? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by frankie7: 2:31pm On Dec 30, 2015
[quote author=TheophilusA post=41468210]

http://thenationonlineng.net/fed-govt-insists-mtn-must-pay-n780b-fine-tomorrow/[/quote
So this is really true...MTN Nigeria is really going extinct soon...to be honest...they truly caused their downfall...when they threw to the bin their once priceless professional ethics...hiring all kinds of incompetent personnel... that will even register once line a hundred times and still have it blocked even after one complies...I can't wait to deactivate my mtn contacts from all my accounts on my return next year.... My V-Mobile is quite ok allowing me roaming seamlessly at even minimal cost here.in the states....MTN..sorry..but adieu..after 14 years of patronage..
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by frankie7: 2:34pm On Dec 30, 2015
Daslim180:
We are anxiously waiting, you can't eat you cake and have it........
So this is really true...MTN Nigeria is really going extinct soon...to be honest...they truly caused their downfall...when they threw to the bin their once priceless professional ethics...hiring all kinds of incompetent personnel... that will even register once line a hundred times and still have it blocked even after one complies...I can't wait to deactivate my mtn contacts from all my accounts on my return next year.... My V-Mobile is quite ok allowing me roaming seamlessly at even minimal cost here.in the states....MTN..sorry..but adieu..after 14 years of patronage..
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by mzilakazi(m): 2:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
Coolcash1:

Let me help you because I can see some gap in your knowledge. There is checks and balance already. For your info, NCC is an agency under Ministry of Communication. It is established by law to enforce the law or regulate the teleco industry. Just as DPR is the regulator of oil and gas industry. If DPR slams a coy with penalty, it does not need any other agency to either confirm or cancel it. The company can only engage them to seek for their understanding to pay less (which is not automatic that DPR will accept).

NCC does not have powers to make the law, implement it and prosecute if such a law is violated. They only have a duty to regulate on terms of National Communication Act and now they have overstepped their boundary. That's all.
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by okambaba: 2:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
mzilakazi:

The only difference is that Nigeria is using MTN as a means to fund their N6 trillion budget.

LOL!

I think NCC should just let the court decide. What's the rush and "deadline" for. ALl these insistence on meeting the deadline only makes it seem like they are really going to use it to fund the budget.
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by frankie7: 2:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by Muttex(m): 2:49pm On Dec 30, 2015
They must pay it...let them vomit all our illegal charges. useless network.
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by rman: 3:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
mrDennis:

actually u failed to break down the brt example... I mean the FINE is explicitly stated ... so the moment u encroach on the line u don't now start begging saying u only have 3k in ur pocket etc ...

mtn clearly knew the implication of what they were doing. , also u obviously not a finance guy cos u would know the same way politicians don't joke with 1 vote is the Sam's way corporate firms don't joke with 1 naira . let's do small calc

5naira spent by 5.2m Sims = N26m *7 days = N182m . so please stop acting like mtn didn't know the implication of their avtions. they just didn't expect the NCC hammer to fall so hard ! it's business they probably expected a fine in the millions which might have made up just 40-45% of their earnings on those unregistered Sims . MTN is a corporate entity stop arguing like they a roadside shop with no legal dept

even if the money is somehow mishandled by apc that's a seperate analysis ... first MTN MUST PAY. after all THERE WAS A SMALLER FINE (N100m). which u carefully ignore to mention that despite the fine and warning they didn't heed the directive of NCC.

forget goodwill ... it doesn't give anyone the right to repeatedly flout our laws.

Now I know u don't understand telecoms business so there is no need discussing with u. Let us even assume all 5.2 million sims did 5 naira transaction daily like u assumed. Isn't there a cost to keep them communicating. Abi mtn just willed it and it happens. Sites must be powered, switches must be powered...expensive softwares are working, man power working 247 , ensure any time T, this is possible. So if u understand the business u will re-do your calculation that's too basic.

I definitely addressed the 100m fine. What is the 100m fine for? Ask people doing business with all these telecos and all will unanimously tell u mtn is the best to do business with. Why is mtn now having issues with only ncc?

U have failed to see my point. Fine mtn, but let it be a reasonable fine.. simple as ABC
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by adeoluakin: 4:15pm On Dec 30, 2015
frankie7:

Na lie. Remember they just renewed their license, if they planned to leave I'm sure they won't have done that.

all concerned parties should all just settle this amicably
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by Elxandre(m): 6:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Coolcash1:

Hear yourself..so because MTN is putting food on your table government should now encourage IMPUNITY?... Can MTN try this in their country... Please don't let us be sentimental, they have flouted the law and it must take its full course...

Remember the BP oil spill in the US and how the company was slammed $2.5b as fine. Did BP sacked all its staff and leave US- of course not...why? Because of the importance of the market to their survival and growth...same also for MTN, I tell u they are making the profit of their life from this country...hence, exiting the country is never in the mind.

I was privy to know those who did feasibility study for MTN when they were about to start back then in 2000/2001. In the study, they had projected to recoup their capital over 10 years but the coy had to literally trash it when it made abnormal profit just within 3 years of commencement that was never made before since their existence as a teleco.

For me, MTN has sinned and must duly pay the price...pronto!
Which is bigger?
BP or MTN?
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by ezugwuodo: 6:51pm On Dec 30, 2015
MTN? Make them wait first ooooo......I cant afford to do without Simple Server. Abeg ooo
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by mrDennis(m): 8:01pm On Dec 30, 2015
rman:

Now I know u don't understand telecoms business so there is no need discussing with u. Let us even assume all 5.2 million sims did 5 naira transaction daily like u assumed. Isn't there a cost to keep them communicating. Abi mtn just willed it and it happens. Sites must be powered, switches must be powered...expensive softwares are working, man power working 247 , ensure any time T, this is possible. So if u understand the business u will re-do your calculation that's too basic.

I definitely addressed the 100m fine. What is the 100m fine for? Ask people doing business with all these telecos and all will unanimously tell u mtn is the best to do business with. Why is mtn now having issues with only ncc?

U have failed to see my point. Fine mtn, but let it be a reasonable fine.. simple as ABC

the beauty of finance is it cut across every fibre of society... nothing is free not even the free rhapsodi being distributed. to people.

now lemme enlighten u ... I chose a small figure 5 to represent the minimum ... don't u know one unregistered SIM can spend 5000 naira a day on calls browising or whatver??

u talked about cost per SIM like there's a dedicated channel for each SIM not signals bouncing on DEDICATED SERVERS . if the telcos operating costs isn't manageable no Telco will gve tariffs that won't outweigh cost na.

also my opinion has always been simple which is NCC meted out the maximum punishment allowed by law simple... mtn appealled and got. a reduction .
what are they going to civil courts to do exactly? reduce fine? what power does a judge have to decide whether or not a fine should be slashed ?? lol

I know u want a more reasonable fine and that is why I pointed out the lesser fine meted out to other telcos not just mtn and they quickly adhered but MTN. DARED the NCC .

u arguing out of sentiment and fear .... it's not really ur fault it's the pdp gov that refused to allow u c naijas potentials .
NO company is biggger than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by yimagire: 9:54am On Jan 02, 2016
wayodude:
I am not aware of a penalty fine this large being paid by any company anywhere in the world. I'm almost certain they will not pay it as it currently stands.

Yes the sum requested is deemed to be supported by agreed operating contract terms and conditions still yet I think this penalty is far in excess of one that could be obliged by any management board worth their salt. If things get too heated they will surely pack up and leave. Just my thoughts though.
Try and find out about Apple and Samsung and correct your perception of fines my friend
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by REDshouse(m): 12:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
tete7000:

If you currently work in mtn after fruitlessly searching for job for five years, I m sure your line of thinking will be different. My grouse is not with fining but with the outrageous fine. A sensible government ought to give a fine that can be easily paid and which non-payment can be enforced. The question you should ask is: 'Come Dec. 31st, what will govt do if mtn fail to pay?' Shut down mtn? It is easier said than done but we will wait and see.
Federal govt has carried lagos attitude of outrageous fine to the centre, maybe because a former LiRS boss is now at the centre. In Lagos lastma charges outrageous fines too. Many motorists who can't pay abandon their vehicles in the lastma yard. It was some of those vehicles ambode released freely when he came to power. Unfortunately while such fines can be got away with with individuals, it is more difficult when we talk about a corporate entity that employs thousands in a country with high level of employment.
what is outrageous in the fine which all network companies agreed with the NCC.
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by tete7000(m): 2:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
REDshouse:
what is outrageous in the fine which all network companies agreed with the NCC.

So if the authority themselves did not consider it outrageous would they have agreed to reduce it? What message did the reduction from N1tr plus to N600bn plus send to you? If they have all ab initio agreed on that fine why reduced it? Do you impose a sensible fine and start negotiating it down? One of your power as an authority is that you impose a fine and state a penalty for non-payment at the same time. When you begin to negotiate your fine down then you already agree that the fine is senseless and you begin to lose respect as a rational agency.
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by goodgate: 11:57am On Jan 11, 2016
seyluv:
Habaa.. .. no be small thing o, FG should have mercy on MTN o, d fine is too much, remember several trips obasanjo & d rest made round d world begging for foreign investors to come to Nigeria, here dey r, u want to frustrate dem out of business..
We accepted dey breached d policy of which dey av to be sanctioned but this is too much, ..
I tell u 10 Nigerian banks can not pay dis money and still be in biz
I'm appealing to FG to tender justice with mercy cos na we Nigerians go still suffer am..
Hello,you sent me a message,and i can't access my mail,can we talk here?thanks
Re: "Pay N780billion Fine By 31st December" - NCC To MTN Nigeria by ddjay: 3:17pm On Jan 11, 2016
to those begging for mtn,i hope you know that if it were a nigerian telecom that did this mtn thing in south africa,the coy would have paid a heavier fine and sent packing out of south africa.the rules are strict in south africa,at least you guys should remember the arms gej wanted to purchase from south africa through the back door,they did not waste time in telling him he is wrong.see some of you guys painting mtn white

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Whatsapp Adds New Rules For 'Delete For Everyone' Feature / OPPO A12 & A31 Launched in Nigeria: Features And Specifications / Lock Your Credit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.