Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,968 members, 7,890,188 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 10:41 AM

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? (22421 Views)

What Will Happen If You Boil Egg Inside Oil Instead Of Water? / History And Importance Of English Language In Nigeria / What Is The Meaning Of ACCEPTANCE FEE In Nigerian Higher Institutions...? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by tevinsolt: 8:39pm On Dec 30, 2015
musicwriter:

The question the OP raised was for people in school who prefer speaking Pidgin to English. Something he/she thought was for uneducated people, and I wanted to let him/her know that's not the case.

Anybody bred, schooled and brought up in Nigeria that cannot speak Pidgin is not very educated. Education does not necessarily mean everything you learn in school. Learning happen on the street everyday.

If you're not aware of French influence on English, and you're not accepting facts presented you, there's no need my further explanation on that.

I do not deny the fact that french had some influence on English, but the reverse is also the case with french words with English origin.....and the evolution of modern English isn't exactly like pidgin English.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by jacseniore(m): 8:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
It happened to me, i always spoke english when i got into the uni newly 'cus i wasn't fluent with pidgin. I was even tackled for it and each time i will get the sermon that am speaking GST. But now i don dey flow wella wit d guys 'cus am making progress in it now. It's not that they don't know how to speak english but pidgin is more preferential 'cus there are no rules to obey or any room to impress anyone.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by musicwriter(m): 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2015
tevinsolt:

I do not deny the fact that french had some influence on English, but the reverse is also the case with french words with English origin.....and the evolution of modern English isn't exactly like pidgin English.

No, French didn't borrow from English, none that I know of unless in modern times, and I still doubt that. Words like prepare, faire, urgent, are originally French words mispronounced by the English.

Evolution of languages happen almost the same way. It's a natural process. Please watch the small video clip about evolution of languages that I posted earlier.

Pidgin English will eventually replace English as our official language in Nigeria. It's a question of "when" not "if". As a matter of fact, as Africans continue to understand the damage done to our cultures and economies by the English and French, a time will come when a surge of cultural revolution will spread across Africa to kick English and French language out of Africa. As I said, it's a question of when.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Lionofdjungle: 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2015
English is gradually becoming an official language which is spoken only in formal settings. It isn't everybody that speaks pidgin that can't communicate in English, it is just used to show cordiality among those who speak it, just as you can use slang and colloquialisms when you are among your mates and friends. For your information, the native speakers of English only speak standard English in formal settings but when they are at home, they speak dialects of the language which doesn't conform with the rules of standard English (i.e. grammar ). I rest my case.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Eazikeyz(m): 9:18pm On Dec 30, 2015
undecidedPidgin as lingual franca isn't a totally bad idea though...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Emeka71(m): 9:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
Pidgin english is trending.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
Yes any language, is pidgin a language. Lets face the truth. I know i cant be perfect in speaking english.
u re wrong.. Anything dat is spoken & understood by both party is regarded as language
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 30, 2015
Atmmachine:
You're very wrong for this.
I'm very confident about my spoken English, i live in America and i see Nigerian University girls as being unable to speak good English.

I got some Nigerian girls phone numbers, They speak polished Queens English, i was Amazed, even them girls that grew up and spent all the lives in the village, They speak good English with no accent.
They were the ones asking me why i still have the Igbo accent after spending many years in America.

Don't try to tarnish the images of my Naija guys.
You think Americans speak good English ??
You will hear them say "Where is you going" "Is you mad ??" I could of done my home work " "Wanna" "Gonna" "I finna go buy some bread" Now tell me if that's a good English.
u re lying..
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Mpanyi: 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2015
aybynature:

There you go...its not something new, I wonder why you're yet to know this though, cos its been there for a couple of years now.

Wonder what you're trying to prove. He is trying to ket you know that even the owners of the language do make horrible mistakes. And by the way pidgin is an adjective, not a noun. Should be pidgin English.

BTW language is about understanding each other.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by ifyakanu(m): 10:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
Do you know South Africans are now using their mother tongue to learn in their country. You are not learning English language to shoe how educated you are. It doesn't tell us how smart you are. Neither is it a way to show how wise or intelligent you are. We learn it for a global communication. As I am now , my spoken English is fantastic but that won't stop me from speaking Igbo with my fellow student or even with pigin if I so refer.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Belmot(m): 10:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
oje20:
is because they do not hear En
glish
You mean they are deaf?
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by aybynature: 11:20pm On Dec 30, 2015
Mpanyi:

Wonder what you're trying to prove. He is trying to ket you know that even the owners of the language do make horrible mistakes. And by the way pidgin is an adjective, not a noun. Should be pidgin English.

BTW language is about understanding each other.

This is totally out of point. Follow our conversations, read and understand what we were talking about, before jumping into matters. He said something about "gonna" and "wanna" (American informal English) not being a part of words recognized by the Oxford Dictionary, and I showed it to him. This is entirely different from the op's write up.

I take it that you're a newbie, if not, you wouldn't have had to quote me, especially when there was a picture included to illustrate what I was saying.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by joefranky(m): 11:44pm On Dec 30, 2015
Hit like if u believe that poster is just trying to seek attention.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Jidibia(m): 12:53am On Dec 31, 2015
Wetin u wan make dem speak. Pidgin better na.... Come north east make u see. Na so so hausa language students dey speak.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by mayor4christ(m): 12:57am On Dec 31, 2015
habeeblai244:
This has been bordering me since I was in secondary school. I am now in Higher Institution. Yet I still can't figure this out. Why will a higher institution student for that matter who has been Studying English Language for the past 10years at least can't speak English but will prefer Pidgin?

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?
work on yourself first
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by nelszx: 1:36am On Dec 31, 2015
habeeblai244:

The bolded part is why it's difficult for them to express themselves in English. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by WestOfAfrica: 1:47am On Dec 31, 2015
Eazikeyz:

Nobody questions America's bastardization of English, it's so respected because they pushed it to the forefront of their culture, they got other countries speaking their version. Make others respect Nigerian customs instead of Nigerians been fake English people. This thing going on in Nigeria should be respected, if it becomes popular might even get official recognition outside of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Roks(m): 3:09am On Dec 31, 2015
Pidgin is our lingua franca so one just have to deal with it
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by ibietela2(m): 5:43am On Dec 31, 2015
habeeblai244:

My friends speaks pidgin, when I try to correct them, they will give lame excuse that not that they can't speak English but they prefer pidgin[s]. Pidgin is for those who didn't go to school at all [/s]but need to communicate with those who understand English. Higher institution students, why do you prefer pidgin to English?

RUBBISH
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by sparkleRed(f): 7:28am On Dec 31, 2015
I schooled in university of Benin, stayed in all hall2 thruout except final year I stayed in hall 1 den, wen u re angry and need to get the message in, as in u need d message 2 sink in so d person doesn't try the nonsense again and u come dey speak phonetics u re on a long thing dem go just dey use u play, buh wen u change am 4 dem and knack correct pidgin take warn dem, then d message will be passed sharply grin

Talkn 4rm my experience
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by sparkleRed(f): 7:33am On Dec 31, 2015
Eazikeyz:

English and literature in University of benin teaches pidgin as a course, and e can hard! Saw my roommate note den

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by queebeediva(f): 8:19am On Dec 31, 2015
In a formal setting I speak English otherwise na pigin flow and I hate oversabi people forming queens English with their hommies I mean, e no make simple sense joh!
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Milo30(m): 9:57am On Dec 31, 2015
tevinsolt:

D and T are pairs when it comes to sound, where B is the voiced and the T is the unvoiced

the voiced version of P is B not F.........For F it'll be V, so Hausa replacing P with F is bad English. When Chinese and Igbo people replace R with L, it is bad English because it strays away from the rules of the language.

not only American use the soft D sound, but British people do as well depending how fast they're speaking, so do Canadians who pretty much sound American, Australians do to. In fact, the cockney accent from London usually omits their Ts, for example Wa-T-er becomes Wa-H-er.

the problem with English speaking in Nigeria starts with the mentality that English is too complicated for little kids (which is obviously not true) so they dumb down the language.

We are just a nation trying to ditch our ancestral language and learn another man's own. Anyway we respect the English language less than we ought to. That's why we don't care to speak it properly. The OP is right. Uh, thanks for the explanation, I learnt from it.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by abuaisha360: 9:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
pls where is it written dt we shud nt speak Other languages apart frm English,
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by Admissionsboard: 11:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
Please contact the Nigerian admissions board via admissionsboardng@gmail.com for admissions in Nigerian universities. And admissionsboardeu@gmail.com for admissions into partner universities in Europe
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by iamrealdeji(m): 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2016
PencilBox:

hahah! 'm nt really a freshman. No doubt abt the Ekosodin n Hall3 guys. Bt dat doesn't generalize my facts wink
pencilbox,tell me how much you make on this : http://link.taskmine.club/link/link.php?ref=iamrealdeji
Re: Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? by staniyere(m): 12:56pm On Mar 11, 2016
STUDY IN BENIN REPUBLIC COTONOU UNIVERSITY.
* Graduate in 3years for management, Art and some Applied science courses only.
* NYSC in Nigeria (Recognized by the federal ministry of education in Abuja, Nigeria).
Admission is still on for the following courses including direct entry:

SCHOOL OF HEALTH
1. Public Health
2. Medical Laboratory Technology.

MANAGEMENT SCIENCE
1. Accounting and Finance
2. Economics
3. Banking, Finance and insurance
4. Business Administration
5. Human Resource Management
6. Marketing

SOCIAL SCIENCE
1. International Relations and Diplomacy
2. Political Science
3. Public administration

FACULTY OF ART
1. Law
2. Mass Communication
3. Linguistic (English and French)

APPLIED SCIENCE/TECHNOLOGY
1. Computer Science
2. Computer Engineering
3. Electrical Engineering
4. Software Engineering/Development
5. Networking and Telecommunication
6. Petroleum Engineering
7. Mine/Geology
8. Biotechnology

Tuition fee per semester: For as low as N100,000 depending on your chosen course.

For more information contacts:
Call : +22999647004
Whatsapp: 08035184417
staniyere4real@yahoo.com

Please help pass this information to those who need it. Thanks.
NOTE: This information is not a scam you can access my profile for more information about me.

https://m.facebook.com/Gain-Admission-in-Benin-republic-universities-Cotonou-453121638216930/?_rdr

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ways To Improve Your Study Habits And Recall Better / Sudan Conflict: 1,262 Nigerian Students Demand Evacuation, 330 Residents Killed / Adeyemi College Of Education Post Utme And Admission Process Information Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.