Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,768 members, 7,889,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:57 PM

Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) (24422 Views)

Agbara Robbery: Police Nab Leader Of Gang In Delta / Agbara Robbery: Police Nab Leader Of Gang In Delta / Hoodlums Gang-Rape Lady To Death In Kogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by lagoslag: 7:00pm On Nov 05, 2005
Hello everyone!
I guess you must have heard that Stanley Tookie Williams death warrant has been signed. he'll be executed on Dec 13th 2005. he was co-founder of the gang crisp but has fully repented and appologised for all his wrong and also has contributed alot in fighting violence, drug and gang related issues. he has won nobel peace and literature all from jail. the movie demption which jimmie fox starred in was all about Stanley. take a moment to visit his website then send email or fax governor of california for clemency . http://www.tookie.com/

this is what the front page look like

Tookie's execution date: December 13, 2005

The U.S. Supreme Court, on October 11, 2005, ruled against Tookie on his final appeal and set his execution date for December 13. Thus they disregarded 9 of the 24 Ninth Circuit Court judges' assertion that the District Attorney at Tookie's trial employed "reprehensible and unconstitutional" racist tactics, using animal-in-a-jungle metaphors to refer to Tookie and to the South Central environment in which he lived. This landmark ruling means that minorities can now legally be rejected from juries based on race. This is now the law of the land. (download fact sheet about Tookie's case)

Send A Letter To Gov. Schwarzenegger
Send An Email To Gov. Schwarzenegger
Send a FAX to Gov. Schwarzenegger at 916-445-4633
Call Gov. Schwarzenegger at 916-445-2841

Sample Letters To The Governor
About Tookie's Memoir
Order Tookie's Memoir
Order DVD
Tookie's Mailbox
Protocol for Peace
Download and Print
Peace Protocol
Hear Tookie PSAs
The Apology

Letter to Youth, No.1
Primera Carta a los Jóvenes (Letter to Youth No. 1 in Spanish)
Letter to Youth, No.2
Mi Segunda Carta a los Jóvenes (Letter to Youth No. 2 in Spanish)
Life in Prison: The Book
News About Tookie
About Tookie's Corner
About Tookie

Book Club

Email Tookie
Sign our Guestbook
About the Guestbook
Web host: CyberNet
Communications Incorporated

Support the effort to save Tookie at SaveTookie.org
Sign the Save Tookie petition to Governor Schwarzenegger

Tookie,
I am a 20 year old man from Iowa. The other day I sat down after I watched your movie Redemption and thought about all the things that I've done in my life and counted how many years that I should be in prison. Every day between the age of 18 and 20 I risked getting 25 to life for the things I was doing. I counted the years I should be doing for the other things I did and in 6 months time I racked up well over 300 years doing the minimum time for each crime that I committed. Only through the grace of my higher power whom I choose to call God that didn't happen. As well as no longer living a life of crime or violence I am also a recovering addict. I will have 8 months clean on June 15 -- that is 8 months without the use of any mood changing chemicals. Before I watched the movie I was making plans to start living my old life again. I wanted all the money and girls and respect (or fear) of others -- but after I watched the movie and started to do some research on you, I found that we are not all that different. I realized that I was going down that same road in a hurry. You helped me see that. The only way I can think to close this letter is to try to express my gratitude for the way you touched my life. It is with the utmost respect and gratitude that I say thank you.
More messages in Tookie's Mailbox

Tookie's Protocol: Peace Breaks Out In New Jersey
Listen to Tookie's Radio-Ready Public Service Announcements
"Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story" won a Satellite Award from the International Press Academy. The movie was also honored by the MovieGuide awards, a program of the Christian Film and Television Commission, dedicated to encouraging higher media entertainment standards imbued with Christian and traditional family values.
Read Artlcle About Ninth Circuit Court Ruling Against Tookie;
Court's Dissenting Opinion Protests Racial Bias
Read The Actual Ninth Circuit Court Opinion

Tookie's Life Story:
Book and Movie

You may order the autobiography of Stanley "Tookie" Williams, Blue Rage, Black Redemption from Damamli Publishing Company. All orders ship within 72 hours of receipt of payment. The book is in a quality trade paperback format so that prisoners may receive the book via the U.S. mail. Click here to learn more about the book.

"Redemption," the movie about Tookie's life and work, presented at Cannes Film Festival in May 2004 to a standing ovation. The DVD of "Redemption" can be ordered from Twentieth Century Fox at its FoxStore.com. The film stars Jamie Foxx as Tookie in a highly acclaimed dramatic role for the comedian/actor.

In his autobiography, Tookie describes his journey from a childhood in South Central Los Angeles, to his co-founding of the Crips youth gang as a teenager, to his redemption over the past 23 years incarcerated on San Quentin's death row.

All of Tookie's proceeds from the sale of this book will be invested in programs to assist at-risk children. He will receive none of the books' revenues.

From Tookie's autobiography you can also learn about his nomination for a Nobel Prize for Peace and Literature.

The movie "Redemption" was honored in January at the prestigious 2004 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, an international event founded by Robert Redford.

The Apology
"I pray that one day my apology will be accepted. I also pray that your suffering, caused by gang violence, will soon come to an end ....." (click here to read complete Apology)
Tookie's Letter To Incarcerated Youth, No. 1
"Across the nation, young men and women like you are vegetating in juvenile halls and in youth authorities. More and more prisons are being constructed to accommodate your generation...(click here to read complete letter)
Tookie's Letter To Incarcerated Youth, No. 2
"What is the relationship between prisoner and guard? Is it slave versus master? Interactions between captor and captive can vary from person to person...." (click here to read complete letter)
Amicus (Friend-of-the-Court) Brief Filed By ACLU On Tookie's Behalf
The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), the national NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) and several other civil rights groups have filed an amicus (Friend-of-the-Court) brief urging the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to consider racist injustices in jury selection during Tookie's 1981 trial. (click here to read the story)
Court Recommends Clemency For Tookie
Read about the ruling against Stanley "Tookie" Williams by the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals -- and the Court's unprecedented recommendation to spare his life -- in this San Francisco Chronicle article by reporter Bob Egelko.
Other News Stories
News stories from all over the world about Tookie's work for kids and his Nobel Peace Prize nominations are found in the news section of Tookie's Corner.
About Tookie / Book Club / About Tookie's Corner
Copyright © 2005 Damamli Publishing CompanyAll Rights Reserved
Comments to Webmaster

Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by seeni4ever(m): 12:08am On Dec 13, 2005
tokkie Williams the crips gang leader denied clemency by governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. what a pity for him. at least they should consider to spare his despite all he has done to redeem himself. may his soul rest in peace in advance
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Jakumo(m): 7:42am On Dec 13, 2005
Tokkie Williams founded one of the most gratuitously violent street gangs in the US, namely the Crips, who in their pointless turf battles with arch-rivals the Bloods, have turned many areas of South Central Los Angeles into hot war zones from which fresh bullet-riddled bodies are dragged daily.

Mr. Williams also committed the premeditated homicide that put him where he is right now, standing on the threshold of nothingness.  No doubt Gov Arnold agonized over his decision not to grant a last minute stay of execution,  but Mr. Tokkie's track record out on the mean streets before his incarceration evidently spoke louder than his new-found contrition behind bars.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by nana(f): 10:26am On Dec 13, 2005
[b][b]Ex-Gang Leader Tookie Williams Executed in California (Update1)
Dec. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Stanley ``Tookie'' Williams, a former gang leader and convicted murderer whose anti-gang advocacy from prison garnered praise, was executed by lethal injection after a series of last-minute appeals were rejected.

Williams, 51, co-founder of the Crips gang who was on death row for murdering four people in 1979, died at 12:35 a.m. after receiving a lethal dose of drugs at San Quentin State Prison outside San Francisco, said Todd Slosek, a spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Yesterday California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and the U.S. Supreme Court refused Williams's requests to stop the execution. He was the 12th prisoner to be executed in the state since 1977.

The case re-ignited the controversy over the fairness of the U.S. court system, with civil rights groups saying Williams, an African American, was convicted on faulty evidence. Williams won support from civil rights leader Jesse Jackson, rapper Snoop Dogg and other celebrities.

``This case will continue to be talked about, and what will be talked about is the issue of race,'' said Elisabeth Semel, a law professor at University of California, Berkeley, who has defended criminals facing the death penalty. ``African American leaders and celebrities, those have been the most prominent voices and I think that tells us something.''

7-Eleven Shooting

Prosecutors said Williams, after a night of smoking drugs, shot a 26-year-old 7-Eleven convenience store clerk twice in the back after forcing him to lie face down in a storage room. Williams and accomplices stole $120 during the February 1979 robbery, police said.

About two weeks later Williams broke down a door at a Los Angeles motel and killed the 76-year-old owner, his 63-year-old wife and their 43-year-old daughter before taking $100, prosecutors said. They said shotgun shells recovered from both scenes came from Williams's gun and witnesses testified that Williams said he was the killer. Williams was convicted in 1981.

Williams denied committing the murders, saying the witnesses, criminals themselves, were unreliable and the weapons experts were wrong. Yesterday his lawyers said new witnesses had emerged who said the police witnesses made up their stories against Williams.

``I look at this decision as a message that the criminal justice system in the state of California as well as across this country will continue to look at African Americans with a different set of standards than it does the rest of society,'' said Bruce Gordon, the president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, on a conference call with reporters yesterday.

Nobel Prize Nominations

In prison Williams renounced violence, wrote books urging kids to avoid gangs, and garnered national attention over the last five years when admirers nominated him for Nobel Prizes.

His supporters said that his death penalty sentence should have been converted to life in prison so he could continue his anti-gang work, which they claimed helped many kids stay out of trouble.

Schwarzenegger, whose approval ratings have dropped in the last year, said ``a close look at Williams' post-arrest and post conviction conduct tells a story that is different from redemption.''

``We're pleased that Governor Schwarzenegger did not turn a blind eye to the fact the four people were brutally murdered,'' said Harriet Salarno, president of Crime Victims United of California, a political action committee that funds campaigns for judges, sheriffs and prosecutors.

Schwarzenegger

It was the third time Schwarzenegger denied a clemency request since taking office in 2003. His decision was praised by victims' rights groups. California voters by a 68 percent majority support the death penalty.

``The people who are protesting this decision are not going to be Schwarzenegger's supporters, whereas clemency might have alienated a large portion of his political base,'' said John Pitney, a professor of politics at Claremont McKenna College in Claremont, California, and former researcher for the Republican National Committee. ``He made the decision that comported with what a majority of Californians want.''

The California legislature may vote in January to put all executions on hold pending a review of the death penalty in California. In a last-minute appeal to Schwarzenegger today, Williams's lawyers said the execution should be halted until the review is complete. [/b]
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by nana(f): 11:00am On Dec 13, 2005
Also,his son hs been suspected for raping a 13-year-old girl:

[b]Lafayette Jones, a registered sex offender who may be in the Los Angeles area, allegedly lured a 13-year-old girl into his car in northern Fontana on Saturday, promising to take her shopping at a mall, police said.

"He told her that he had just got paid and that he wanted to buy her some new shoes," the girl's mother, whose identity was concealed due to the nature of the crime, told NBC4. "And he said, I will have you back before your Mom gets home, and it will be a surprise. And she thought it was OK."

Police told NBC4 that Jones allegedly sexually assaulted the girl at gunpoint.

"After he got her into the car, he put a gun to her head and forced the victim to commit certain sexual acts upon him," Fontana police Sgt. William Megenney told the station.

Left at the Ontario Mills mall six hours later, relatives told NBC4 the girl had been beaten up and forced to drink alcohol.

"The reason why he took my daughter is because I didn't love him anymore, and I loved her," the girl's mother told NBC4. "And he was trying to hurt me. And if he ever loved me or cared anything about me, he would turn himself in."

Jones, who police identified as a son of Williams, had lived in Fontana, but the girl's relatives told NBC4 that they had no idea that Jones had a criminal past. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William R. Pounders recently set a Dec. 13 execution date for Williams, who was convicted of killing four people during a 1979 robbery spree.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is in China on a trade mission, has not responded to pleas to commute Williams' sentence. [/b]
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Scorpio(f): 2:44am On Dec 14, 2005
Tookie's already dead yo!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Outkast(f): 1:52pm On Dec 14, 2005
eya. o mase ooh!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by opemogaji(m): 9:26pm On Jan 17, 2006
R.I.P Tookie. its still crip all day its still cracking up in urrr.
opeyemi loc right here. J poppa eastside 111

Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Scorpio(f): 12:24am On Jan 18, 2006
Oh jare, make i hear word! cool @ Opemogaji, just a lil curious but is that Kendo beside ya in ur profile pic? d guy next to you looks like someone i know from another site...no yawa tho, just curious!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by shawna(f): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2006
tookie was cremated and they spread his ashes in some lake in south africa they said that was his wish cry cry cry
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Sista(f): 3:26am On Nov 30, 2006
tookie was cremated and they spread his ashes in some lake in south africa they said that was his wish Cry

Isn't that something special? Even in his death and approaching death, he always knew his home was in Africa. I tell people all the time AA people know America is not their home, they know they have been misplaced.

Love you Tookie!!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by BlackMamba(m): 4:49am On Nov 30, 2006
He was a common thug and murderer whose cremated ass should never have touched African soil. You don't kill innocent folks and years later turn around to seek clemency over some cock and bull story.
I'm sorry, if you killed people for your own selfish end, you deserve to be fried. Regardless of a newfound "sainthood", which was conveniently adopted while doing time in prison.
I wonder how many more innocent lives he would have taken, if the law didn't catch up with him.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Sista(f): 5:22pm On Nov 30, 2006
@Blackmamba

If Tookie does not deserve to be on African soil because you feel he was a murderer, then half of the Africans who are there now and some who have already died do not deserve to be on African soil as well.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by lewa(m): 9:05am On Dec 01, 2006
Sista
why? that's too much
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Sista(f): 2:12am On Dec 02, 2006
@lewa

why? that's too much

Don't ask me me that question, ask Blackmamba that question, it was her idea.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by lewa(m): 2:45am On Dec 02, 2006
Hmm ok!Thought it was a bit hard and uncalled for!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Sista(f): 4:59am On Dec 02, 2006
@Lewa

Hmm ok!Thought it was a bit hard and uncalled for!

Well, maybe you should read this entire page at least and read from an objective point of view and then you can tell me who made the harsh statement.

I don't in anyway believe that half of the Africans in Africa do not deserve to be on African soil. If you read what Blackmamba said about Tookie Williams not deserving to be on African soil because he was a common thug and a murderer, you would see that my comment to her was only to get her to see how the statement she made was a ridiculous one, and a not well though out statment.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by lewa(m): 5:58am On Dec 02, 2006
So Tookie was not a thug?The gang he helped form is responsible for so much vile in society today. Anyways a lot of people feel passionate about Tookie but to me if he really did turn a new leaf in prison God would be his judge not me or you or Jamie or Snoop!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Sista(f): 7:26pm On Dec 02, 2006
@Lewa

Tookie did used to be a thug but that does not mean he is not deserving of having his ashes spread out in Africa.

You must have not read anything.

Blackmamaba said because of Tookie committing a murder, he did not deserve to be on African soil.

Please read before you post your comments. It gets very irritating trying to explain something to someone who does not even have half a clue.

If you are having a problem with understanding something you can ask but at least try to get half of a clue first.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by lewa(m): 10:17pm On Dec 02, 2006
yea yea!Thanks at times, grin grin ignorance is bliss as they say!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by Sista(f): 12:57am On Dec 03, 2006
@Lewa

No problem Lewa, sorry if I sounded a little harsh and I thank you for not taking my tone personally it is just that we had been going back and fourth for over a period of time and at first I thought you had some type of clue. Any way, I am glad you understand now. It was nice talking to you, maybe I will see you again in another topic.
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by lewa(m): 1:14am On Dec 03, 2006
No probs!
Re: Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) by mamagee3(f): 12:59am On Nov 24, 2009
That man looks damn scary!!! tongue

(1) (Reply)

Ex-fct Minister Son To Forfeit All Properties To FG / Five Nigerian Men Arrested In India For Allegedly Duping Hundreds Of Women / Lady Missing In Delta For 2 Years Now, Family Offers Reward (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.