Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,143 members, 7,928,504 topics. Date: Thursday, 22 August 2024 at 03:20 PM

Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? (8317 Views)

Should I Return The Funds / Should I Return Salary Paid In Error After Resignation? / Should I Return To The UK To Work? (I Have HSMP Visa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by IBEXY(m): 2:11pm On Nov 02, 2006
this is really hilarious!!! grin grin

I could not help laughing out once or twice.
why are naija people so terrified of their own country?
why discourage a patriotic brother from bringing back his "wealth of experience" back home.
I reside in the UK also and one day I will go home.
What else is there to do. To get a job here is equally hard. U gotta overcome a lot - racial differences not the least.
Right now am so home sick I could jump into the next virgin atlantic bound for Lagos.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by LoverBwoy(m): 2:49pm On Nov 03, 2006
nilla:

i know life is tough. but thats why the system there works. but you gotta pay them taxes.

The thing i dont understand is why people complain so much about paying tax before migrating to a country people should definately know what the place is like.
If people dont want to pay bills they shouldnt use electricity,road,phones  grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by nilla(f): 2:50pm On Nov 03, 2006
lol
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by tinard(m): 5:15am On Nov 04, 2006
Constantin you are a Arrow you don't go to LSE. There's no need to lie just as for advise if you needed it. Don't try and lie your way through life you won't get anywhere.

Truth is you are a sad teenager who thinks it will be funny to do something like this. You have a girlfriend not to talk of Irish girl. Your parents aren't rich or nothing. As far as I'm concerned you don't live in the UK and you've never been there.

Please only post relevant things. Anyone else who wants a good advise regarding the topic hope we answered the questions. Taxes in England are massive. Amass wealth and return to your homeland. You'll never be rich working for someone else. Truth is even it you are getting paid a million pounds a year you are still only getting paid a small percentage of your worth. That's why your employer can pay you that much. Think about it how much have you made for your employer to be able to pay you a million quid a year.

You never answered my questions and you fell for the course i chose for you.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by chumas(m): 5:59am On Nov 04, 2006
I don't know why we even bother to keep writing on this topic. It is obvious that this Constantin guy is a big FOOL!!! I don't know why he has just decided to make an a** of himself.

CONSTANTIN, I DARE YOU TO GIVE ME YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER. OR RATHER RESPOND AND I WILL PERSONALLY MEET YOU AT ANY CONVENIENT LOCATION AT THE LSE CAMPUS.

Chuma.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by IBEXY(m): 6:16am On Nov 04, 2006
that really sounds like fighting talk man!

oya oga constantin, over to you.

did u or did u not?

grin cheesy grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by ikamefa(f): 6:18am On Nov 04, 2006
so this soap opera is still on? shocked shocked
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Honeypot1(m): 11:11am On Nov 04, 2006
I think we should not bother if Constantin is an LSE student or not. I feel that many naija students in the UK face this problem of indecision and the suggestions here will be good for them.

LoverBwoy:

i wonder how people in the U.K survive then it's not like they are building houses in their village

Right question LoverBwoy. Most people in the uk are not as rich as people think, except some fraudsters. They (normal people) save up some cash over a long period, return to naija, begin some major projects and return to the UK 'broke' to start another painful years of saving. The only good thing i suppose is the quality of life in terms of social amenities but a graduate in naija with a good bank, telecoms, or oil industry job is better off than his counterpart in the uk

Yeah, because the naija grad will rent a 3 bed flat all alone to himself, enjoy some good life albeit amid deplorable social infrastructures. In the UK beginners still opt for a shared flat or even share a room, these shared flats are just like 'face-me-i-face-you' houses in naija and u have to put up with a lot of mess. Although, 30K per annum is not enough to achieve so much in the uk, yet only less than 1% of MSc graduates can get that much. Graduate jobs are b/w 16K and 27K p/a. Even teachers get 20.5K in london, but 18K in liverpool, manchester (other places outside london). Ur salary is just enough to keep u afloat and nothing more.

So if u are a student in the Uk, try ur best to get a good job in naija and go back. But if u can't, then stay back and get a job in the uk and put up with the situation and leave after some years of experience.

My only worry is about Nigerians who have good bank, petroleum/other careers in naija who just hear unfounded blissful fairy tales about the UK and their 'seductive' pay package. These guys just resign and migrate to the Uk only to start cleaning. My advice is to consider ur options whether in Naija or UK before making any move.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by IBEXY(m): 11:22am On Nov 04, 2006
Honeypot the way you hit the nail on the head, e be like you sef don live here before o.
abi u be one of those oil company guys wey end up cleaning here?

If only our boys will know the real situation. Life in UK is not for the faint hearted.
It tears my heart to see our well educated guys cleaning floor in the tube station or counting cash for tesco.
A recent BBC survey got the oyibo people appaled because they found more than half of those cleaners fron naija had Msc or even more.

The failure of our govt has forced many promising guys into an irreversible plunge into slavery in the name of searching for greener pastures abroad.

sad angry angry
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Honeypot1(m): 11:37am On Nov 04, 2006
IBEXY:

Honeypot the way you hit the nail on the head, e be like you sef don live here before o.
abi u be one of those oil company guys wey end up cleaning here? sad angry angry

Nope Ibexy grin

I'm a professional in the UK, i came here as a student and stayed on. I have tasted both worlds of job-hunting in naija and uk and know how discomforting it can be.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by tinard(m): 12:01pm On Nov 04, 2006
Nice one Honey pot bless you. I understand we shouldn't care about where the guy goes to uni and that's why i continued my advise but to take threads seriously every one has to at least have a hint of truth in what they are posting.

I've never been a big fan of the country and never will be and i talk to these guys and it's amazing how old they are, the things they know and have experienced, you can also see them as security staffs and parking attendants.

I just recently convinced a family member who hated me so much because he wanted to come over here and it seemed as though i didn't want to help him when i kept saying he should get a good job after his degree and in a few years he'll be able to visit then he'll see for himself why the place is not as sacred as all Nigerians believe. Now he has a job at one of the top banks in Nigeria and he'll be visiting the country next year.

Please check well before you decide to come into the country it's not all as rosy as it is always proposed. If anyone tries to get you in illegally then definitely reject that because it's not as easy as it used to be to get all the things you need to get a job, NHS number and the lot and at the end of the day if you are caught by the old bill, you go to prison for a year. It' not worth the hassle.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by OldGlory1(m): 2:34pm On Nov 04, 2006
Bottom Line i really do not care if Constantin is in the LSE or not, i do not care if there is a Major like Economic Psychology or not. The Fact is that the UK is a $hitty place and is absolutely driven by Slave Drivers (The Government, and the Fcuken Queen. Taxes are unbelievable, Arabs are Fcuken everywhere and the Currency is absolutely hard to come by and does not go far in the UK. So why Nigerians go there, I do not know. But i know i will rather DIE than live in the UK. I would prefer Today's Bomb ridden Bagdad to London.

ATTN: ALL NIGERIAN AMERICANS PLEASE VOTE ON NOV 7. AND PLEASE VOTE FOR THE DEM'S. REGARDLESS WHO YOU VOTE FOR, JUST VOTE DAMMIT. IT IS YOUR DUTY AS A CITIZEN TO CAST THAT VOTE. GO DEMOCRATS, GO BLUE!!

1 Like

Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by chumas(m): 5:46am On Nov 05, 2006
@Old Shame. You are right my brother, it makes no difference if Constantin is in LASU or LSE. The advice that has been given to this topic is very good for the Nigerians over here in the UK that really wants to go back home. Also for those in Nigeria, please if u do not have any real business here, I will advise you to stay back home. THERE IS NOTHING HERE. Work hard in Nigeria and you will lead a better life. It is hard to believe but it is TRUE.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Afamoj: 8:55am On Nov 05, 2006
Guy Do Not Even try come back o!!!! At least not yet, finish up, work a while and only come back here when u r ready to setup something of your own. of course the only other reason i'd advise u 2 come back is if LNG offers u a job(only LNG), and of course they agree to ur terms
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by IBEXY(m): 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2006
I prefer the yankee roasting to the one in naija

Naija roasting no get part two grin
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Constantin: 4:33pm On Nov 07, 2006
Thanks to all your advice given so far! It is helpful to me. kiss kissMoreover, I think that I have raised a topic that is of general interest to many Naija people in the UK or back home in our country.

However, what slightly annoys me are some people who wickedly insult me in a pretty rude manner, I don´t want to give names ´cos the people will know it when he and she reads this here. angry

So PEACE AND LOVE TO EVERYBODYkiss wink
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by deathadder(m): 6:32pm On Dec 07, 2006
Constantin:

Thanks to all your advice given so far! It is helpful to me. kiss kissMoreover, I think that I have raised a topic that is of general interest to many Naija people in the UK or back home in our country.

However, what slightly annoys me are some people who wickedly insult me in a pretty rude manner, I don´t want to give names ´because the people will know it when he and she reads this here. angry

So PEACE AND LOVE TO EVERYBODYkiss wink

Listen up everyone, this guy you insult provides more entertainment than anybody on nairaland wheather its true or not. Why get all agressive with the man??

Even if he did make the whole lot up and wishes it true then why people get pissed at him? We should feel for him and may the lord bless his little cotton socks.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by elbeyah(f): 12:13pm On Dec 11, 2006
my dear, pls stay there, achieve what you can (in terms of education and job experience).
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Ollie39: 3:45pm On May 13, 2007
Do you have right of abode or leave to remain in the United Kingdom? Because if you don't you cannot automatically walk into a job. You are required to leave the country when your studies finish as you are on a student visa (I assume). Even if you find an employer to help you get a work permit you might be required to come back to Nigeria to apply for it.

So, start planning early or you could find your self staying illegally. These days it is not so easy to go through the marriage route to stay.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by ogaadimma: 4:40pm On Sep 14, 2009
Old boy, dont entangle yourself with onyibo woman, thats badnews waiting to happen.
You will remember my words when you get confused with her behaviour.
She can just wake up one day and tell you its over.
At the moment, she will be all over you and kissing and loving, the same intensity she will use wen leaving you.
Find yourself a Nigerian woman and live with her, have kids live in NIgeria, theres nothing more here.
Its all a mirage.
The more you look, the less you see.
And if you have kids with the onyibo woman, she go take them one day.
forget about the onyibo women we knew who lived in Nigeria with their husbands in the past, in those days, naira had power and the women obviously left when things got bad.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Drpappy(m): 11:44pm On Dec 09, 2009
The starter of this thread has actually raised a very crucial dilemma thats often very heavy in the hearts of Nigerians working/schooling in UK. I think we should never forget home in all that we do, keep your options open at all times-be it going back home or staying in the UK, you will never know until you've explored all your options. Secondly, it takes a serious minded hardworking and smart person to succeed in any society. No option is an easy option. You still have to work very hard to achieve your desired success. Thirdly, I think one thing I have learned from these posts is that planning and strategy is very crucial. Dont just go with your impulses and wishes. Take time to plan your life and your career. Its much better to go back to naija as an asset (someone with skills, employer of labour) rather than as a liability (looking for job). But pls dont be too far away from naija, keep abreast of issues happening there and try to visit home when you can. I believe naija will become great again in the near future. No condition in life is permanent. It is well with you my naija people.
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by Laajman(m): 4:02pm On Aug 13, 2011
It'll be interesting to hear from all the posters on this thread, especially Constantin.
Its been about five years. Please share your experiences, and thoughts- now that you have the benefit of hindsight,

Additionally, a lot has happened since 2006. What would be your decision today "Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work?"
Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work? by AjanleKoko: 3:56am On Aug 14, 2011
Laajman:

It'll be interesting to hear from all the posters on this thread, especially Constantin.
Its been about five years. Please share your experiences, and thoughts- now that you have the benefit of hindsight,

Additionally, a lot has happened since 2006. What would be your decision today "Re: Should I Return To Nigeria To Work?"

Pretty easy to figure that out.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Question And Answers For Oil And Gas Jobs / How To Help Your Lawyer Win Your Case / Top Nigerian Ceos Speak At Jarushub's Career Conference

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.