Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,325 members, 7,888,035 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:59 PM

Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? (16274 Views)

Nissan Xterra Transmission Problems - Need Expert Advice / Expert Advice Needed- Conversion Of Manual To Automatic / Pls How Reliable Is Vw Touareg? Expert Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by pak: 11:43am On Jun 13, 2009
Hello guys,

I met one mechanic who had a corrolla on display to enquire but he told me the ride was sold. I told him the car I actually wanted was a 2000 - 2004 VW passat.
The guy just hissed, he said those cars are not reliable for a first car.
He reccomended either a Toyota, Honda or Nissan in that order
His reasons for criticizing passat.

1. Low second hand / resell value
2. Low availability of parts
3. Ease of developing faults.

I'l be in Lagos for the next one week and I want to get a ride b4 leaving, so I just one to make two enquiries

1. (For auto experts, Sienna, inspired et al ) Is it really unadvisable to get a passat or like brand as a first car and why exactly, any experiances.
2. ( For serious dealers in Lag) I need a car within the next one week and I have a budget of about 800k. Please I'l appreciate serious offers,

thanks and awaiting your responses.

1 Like

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 13, 2009
Your mechanic has been afflicted with the "inability-to-diagnose-faults syndrome."
A poor workman always blames his tools, or the item he's working on, he himself is never at fault.

What has resale value to do with reliability?

I haven't heard of the parts issue, as long as the mechanic knows his onions.
The VW Passat is mechanically similar to the Audi A4, and the A4's not unreliable at all - my car has covered 220,000 trouble-free miles.

In the UK and US, the Japanese cars are generally cheaper than the Germans, both new and used.
I've only owned 3 Japanese cars - a 1981 Toyota Carina 2,0 estate, a 1985 Toyota Celica Coupe 2,0 XT and a 1986 Toyota Celica Supra 2,8.
Whilst all were reliable, build quality was nowhere as good as in German cars, and rust was an issue in those days. They don't rust the way they used to, but build quality is way behind that of German or even Swedish cars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by promise72(m): 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2009
pak:

Hello guys,

I met one mechanic who had a corrolla on display to enquire but he told me the ride was sold. I told him the car I actually wanted was a 2000 - 2004 VW passat.

I'l be in Lagos for the next one week and I want to get a ride b4 leaving, so I just one to make two enquiries

1. (For auto experts, Sienna, inspired et al )  Is it really unadvisable to get a passat or like brand as a first car and why exactly, any experiances.
2. ( For serious dealers in Lag) I need a car within the next one week and I have a budget of about 800k. Please I'l appreciate serious offers,

I will suggest that you go with the "popular suspect" - Camry. Especially if you will be in Nigeria. God knows where you will need help. As much as German cars are considered a "drivers" car. The driver can feel the "feedbacks" from these cars. Truth is that the build quality and reliability has fallen in recent years.

For my money, i would be extra cautious in putting a penny of mine on any VW/Audi after 1998, or a Benz after 1995. Its unacceptable for these manufacturers to be losing place to ppl like Hyundai/Subaru in Consumer Reports/JD Power rankings. Despite the fact that Benz's and VW have been around longer than these "newbies".

With that said, if you will settle for a Honda, anywhere between 1998-2004. GET A MANUAL TRANSMISSION BY ALL MEANS! You might end up crying if you are unlucky. The Toyota, on the other hand, gets MY clean bill of health. Think Global, Act local!. Do what the indigenes do!  grin

Good luck!
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by dcorious: 1:29pm On Jun 13, 2009
Siena is absolutely correct! Right from when i was a child i have always love German car (preferred them to Asian cars). Little wonder when could finally afford to get my first car 5 years ago i went for a BMW.

It was a BMW 3 series 1992 model. At that time almost everybody i know kept saying , are you mad? how can you buy a BMW? dont u know it is problematic? dont u know it guzzles fuel? dont u know it doesnt have a second hand value? etc ironically non of these people have ever used a BMW or any German car. As for second hand value, i bought the car 700k and sold it for 430k after 6 years of use (sounds like good second hand value to me)

I used that car for close to six years, i promised u; it was NEVER problematic, it NEVER guzzled fuel, it NEVER broke-down, i enjoyed everyday of owning that that.

In Jan 09 i moved on to a 2009 passat TSI and i have sworn never to deviate from German cars.

My advise to you is do your research online, ask people who use the car or have used it and follow your heart

Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by osci: 11:59am On Jun 15, 2009
hi contact mi on 07036227367, 08027319543. av got a 00/01 passat 4u, factory fitted AC, power window, automatic transmission,ABS, black colour etc. make it asap

1 Like

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by pak: 2:50pm On Jun 16, 2009
Thanks a lot Sienna, dcurios and promise

your replies were really insightful.

Osci , pls post pix of the ride you have on offer and the price.

and tell me where u are in lag.

I'll expect ur response later tonite.
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Middleman: 3:32pm On Jun 16, 2009
i drive an 02 passat v6, as for responsive it couldn't be better. its mad fast especially when i shift the gear into tiptronic, the first day i tried that i was all smiles cuz the car really took off.
fuel consumption isnt bad also,  overall its a great car, been looking at 09 passat but can't afford it  cry

1 Like

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by chipass(m): 5:31pm On Jun 16, 2009
I drive a 2001 passat.

It has given me nothing but trouble since I got it. On top of everything, the parts are expensive.

When the trouble became too much I went online and did some research. Guess what - the passat was labeled a lemon!! It was recalled many times.

Maybe I was unlucky with the car. I've only had it for 2 and half years and already it's almost impossible to continue to drive it so I have to change immediately.

2 Likes

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by mhm(m): 12:02am On Jun 17, 2009
German cars are built better than the asian cars. No doubt

However I drove a 2004 BMW 3 series for a while, my worst car driving years I must say. I have bought a Honda now and though I can feel a weaker engine and slightly poorer build quality and less toys, I am satisfied that its not giving me headaches.

With my bad experience I dont think I can touch any German car with a very long pole (well at least till I am rich enough)
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by promise72(m): 2:15am On Jun 17, 2009
chipass:

I drive a 2001 passat.

It has given me nothing but trouble since I got it. On top of everything, the parts are expensive.

When the trouble became too much I went online and did some research. Guess what - the passat was labeled a lemon!! It was recalled many times.

Maybe I was unlucky with the car. I've only had it for 2 and half years and already it's almost impossible to continue to drive it so I have to change immediately.

mhm:

German cars are built better than the asian cars. No doubt

However I drove a 2004 BMW 3 series for a while, my worst car driving years I must say. I have bought a Honda now and though I can feel a weaker engine and slightly poorer build quality and less toys, I am satisfied that its not giving me headaches.

With my bad experience I dont think I can touch any German car with a very long pole (well at least till I am rich enough)

Church!!!! Preach!!!. Newer German cars are to be approached with caution!!!Proceed at your own risk!!!
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by kablooee: 9:41am On Jun 17, 2009
No car manufacturer designs its vehicle to be problematic or have poor resale value et al. maintenance is the most important factor and for different cars you have a different "maintenance approach" your mechanic probably prefers the toyota/nissan/honda because they have a better threshold for his "try and error repairs" which the german cars don't accept. anyway in terms of reliability, ruggedness, power etc. I give it to the germans.
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Emperoh(m): 9:59am On Jun 17, 2009
promise72:

Church!!!! Preach!!!. Newer German cars are to be approached with caution!!!Proceed at your own risk!!!
I am surprised this is coming from you!!
There is no way Japanese or Asians can match the technology and sophistication of German cars.
Even their luxury cars are still way off the mark. Whatever the Asians are doing today, The BMWs and AUDIs of this world did more than 10 years ago. Go check a 1995 BMW 5 series and a 2008 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord and realise what am saying.

The problem is that our mechanics use their incompetence to scare people from enjoying ultimate Japanese Luxury.
I am yet to see a Japanese car that has beat my Audi A4 of its yr model and size in luxury and performance. Even the fuel consumption rate are being matched by the German. Try a Volkswagen Passat or Audi A4 with 1.8 litre turbo charged engine (1.8T) and you would think its a V8.

So oga, much as i realise the Asians do pocket friendly cars, their performance has a question mark compared to GERMAN MACHINES!!! cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 17, 2009
GERMAN GUZZLERS cool
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Inglewood: 10:39am On Jun 17, 2009
I agree german cars are better manufactured but one has to take into consideration maintenance costs when buying a car.
Newer model germans cost an arm to maintain in Nigeria (cost of replacement parts) at dealerships because our regular 'mechanics' can't fathom new technology. So I will advise you steer clear of german cars if you can't afford the maintenance. chikena !
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by promise72(m): 12:31pm On Jun 17, 2009
Emperoh:

I am surprised this is coming from you!!
There is no way Japanese or Asians can match the technology and sophistication of German cars.
Even their luxury cars are still way off the mark. Whatever the Asians are doing today, The BMWs and AUDIs of this world did more than 10 years ago. Go check a 1995 BMW 5 series and a 2008 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord and realise what am saying.

The problem is that our mechanics use their incompetence to scare people from enjoying ultimate Japanese Luxury.
I am yet to see a Japanese car that has beat my Audi A4 of its yr model and size in luxury and performance. Even the fuel consumption rate are being matched by the German. Try a Volkswagen Passat or Audi A4 with 1.8 litre turbo charged engine (1.8T) and you would think its a V8.

So oga, much as i realise the Asians do pocket friendly cars, their performance has a question mark compared to GERMAN MACHINES!!! cool cool

There has to be a time when we will stop blaming everything on our "incompetent mechanics". How do u explain the horrific experience(s) that people have right here in the US? Check the consumer reports (i am sitting here with a print edition) and they will advise you strongly in staying clear away from those vehicles. They are notorious especially for electrical problem.

Reliability is beyond just a car starting everyday. The little things counts also (durable door handle, durable power windows, widows that ACTUALLY  stays in the track that doesnt derail etc)

These are the things that goes side by side as durability and being counted too. The truth is that some German cars these days cant be counted on to deliver, day-in, day out on these simple things.

Sunroof that ACTUALLY closes all the way! That doesnt leak within one year of buying the car.

They are not boring to drive. I can imagine. As a matter of fact, i will admit to have never driven an Audi Turbo/VW Turbo ever in my life. However, i dont have to have been burned by a fire to know that burning hurts.  undecided
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by pak: 4:11pm On Jun 17, 2009
Thanks guys once again

@Promise, you've been quite incisive

@mhm and chipass, nothing beats first hand experiences

@mhm, long time, do you remember me from the NLNG job thread, how work na !!
and what's all these stuffs about rich enough, you don hammer already now wink grin cool

Well with the vibes am getting from here ( a little here and a little there )

am seriously considering adding some stuff from my bankers to what I have already and getting

somethin small ( most likely an Hyundai accent), at least it will be new.
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by osci: 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2009
pls send mi ur e-mail adddress so dat i can forward it 2 ur box. or mail mi on (stoscar007@yahoo.com). safeee
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by sultaan(m): 7:10pm On Jun 17, 2009
pak:

Hello guys,

1. (For auto experts, Sienna, inspired et al ) Is it really unadvisable to get a passat or like brand as a first car and why exactly, any experiances.

It's better make a knowledgeable decision, and that knowledge is available online from actual owners(not hearsays)

Go to website like carsurvy.org, msnautos.com and read reviews from current owners.If you have to be in that car 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, you better make sure you made the right choice.You are going to be the one stuck with the car , so it better feels right/good everytime .
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 18, 2009
I've owned 34 VAG models - starting in 1988 with a '83 Audi 80 Sport, to my current cars, Audi B5 RS4 and Audi Avant S4.
My C4 S4 is 15-years-old, and has covered 141,000 trouble-free miles, still on the original engine, turbo, exhaust and both catalysts. Headgasket is still the original, and all the electric toys and aircon still work. The 4WD system is in great shape too.

My B5 RS4 is 13-years-old, and has covered 220,000 trouble-free miles, and was still on the original exhaust and both catalysts, prior to my converting her to V8 power, and 6-speed manual (old tranny was 5-speed manual) she'd never even had a clutch replacement! All electric gadgets - windows, central locking, sunroof, mirrors etc work. Never had a sunroof leak either.

So, spanning over 20 years, I've had no issues with these cars. All I've replaced have been regular items like brake pads, discs, tyres, serpentine belts, timing belts and water pumps at the prescribed intervals. And of course, regular service items.

I had a short stint with Japanese cars between 1990 and 1992, with a Toyota Celica XT, Toyota Carina Estate and Toyota Celica Supra 2,8i.
While they were reliable, they had no "soul." I spend a lot of time behind the wheel, with a lot of driving on the Continent.
Being stuck in a boring car for 12 hours (from Britanny, France to Girona, Spain) is no joke - mind numbing! So, it goes way beyond reliability, and fuel economy.

I drove the Celica Supra from East London, through Dover and crossed over into France, driving through to Paris - a 9 hour drive. The car performed effortlessly, but it was the most unpleasant trip in memory. I sold the car to a British expat in Paris, and returned home by train.

The Toyota Celica XT was reliable, but it got eaten alive by the Red Terror - rust, and had to be scrapped. It was a 1985 model, and I scrapped it in 1991, at just 6 years old.

I digressed a little in 1995 with an E30 BMW M3 Cabrio, and it was a great car too - typical German build quality.

I've since returned to the Audi camp, and am loving it - in terms of fuel economy, I can more than afford it. If fuel economy was an issue, I'd buy a VW Polo 1,0L with 50hp, and compete for performance with kids on skateboards, and milk floats.

There are Japanese cars that are incredibly thirsty too - a prime example is the Nissan Skyline R34. The R34 was never sold in the United States, and can only be personally imported for 12 calender months, whereby it must be exported, or destroyed. But regardless, I love the R34, it's a high-performance car, and you don't get high performance on fresh air - it burns fuel to produce tremendous power and torque!

Audi was the first manufacturer to offer a 10-year anti corrosion warranty in 1988, when the Jap models were offering 3. I accept the equivalent Audi / Volkswagen will be a bit thirstier than the equivalent Toyota / Honda or Nissan. One of the main culprits is weight. German cars are very well built, and of course correspondingly heavier. The panels are made of heavier gauge sheet metal, so it stands to reason a Jap model with body panels made of baking foil will be much lighter, and use less juice.

It all boils down to personal choice, and the reliability factor. One can't blame a car's reliability on manufacturer issues all the time, often "mechanics" that can't tell their buttholes from their elbows "tinker" with expensive cars, often with disastrous (and costly) results. I love big power, and that's the reason I'm the only person so far, that has successfully removed the smaller 2,6L V6 from my B5 Audi, to install a much larger 4,2L V8. Yes, it'll be thirstier, but I can rest assured, when I plant my foot to the floor, and stir the 360 horses on tap, I'll have a big smile on my face.

No way would I be on my 32nd and 33rd VAG model if they were sheds. Japanese cars, whilst being good cars, fail to stir my soul, or give me the sort of driving pleasure I deserve.

3 Likes

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by dcorious: 1:11pm On Jun 18, 2009
@Siena

I FEEL YOU, HO HA!!!!
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by Midas02(m): 6:08pm On Jun 18, 2009
@Pak

One of the problems with VW cars and a lot of other automobile Makes and Models in Nigeria is the lack of competent local expertise and poor product knowledge. It is a shame that such knowledge and expertise has become extinct in a country that assembled and produced VW cars for over 25 years! VW passat is a very good car which has excellent build quality. VW Passat could be imported from several parts of the world and what particular engine your car has will really depend on where the car was imported from.

In the US, 1998-2004 Passats mainly came with two engine types: A 1.8L 4Cyl Turbo that was also shared with the base Audi A4 and some other VW products such as Golf MK4 and the other engine is the bigger one: A 2.8L V6 engine that is also shared with both the upscale Audi A4 and the Audi A6. None of these engines have a reliability issue. Infact, my brother just junked his 1998 Audi A4 1.8 Turbo after he had clocked an amazing 285K miles on the original engine!(the car still drove although the engine was tired!)

If you are going to buy a VW in Naija, I will advise you to find yourself a decent and knowledgable VW Auto mechanic (definitely not the Toyota Corolla guy!). German automobiles usually possess a certain degree of engineering peculiarity and product idiosyncrasy which may therefore require reasonable depth of knowledge. Most Naija mechanics are half-baked with very limited depth or vertical knowledge AND absolutely no horizontal knowledge nor broad expertise - most of them will approach a VW/Audi product with the same presumptions carried over from a Toyota product and this is why they fail terribly in giving accurate and insightful diagnosis!

Unlike foreign trained Auto Technicians, who are schooled in the fundamental principles of Automobile engineering along with a curriculum which encompasses both conceptual and experiential knowledge, most Naija mechanics have a skill that is based on experiential knowledge only and is therefore limited to the product line to which they were exposed and the circumstances which were encountered during the course of their apprenticeship.  Since most of them were mostly exposed to Japanese cars of the 80's and early 90's and some of the older Benzes, many of them are beginning to have problems with the modern engineering seen in cars today. Cars like the Passat and several other makes and models simply expose and aggravate the mechanic's inherent incompetence and ineptitude! This is why it is essential to have a mechanic who knows your car and won't treat a BMW with assumptions carried over from a Honda!

Lastly, I will advise you to buy the 2.8L V6 VW Passat - Not only is it more powerful and torquey, the engine is also extremely durable and near bulletproof! (as long as your mechanic doesn't destroy it!) The gas consumption may be a little less economical than the 1.8L turbo, be rest assured the difference won't break the bank! The added advantage of better performance, increased durability, an engine that is trouble free and is packaged for easy maintenance more than makes up for the slight decrease in fuel economy. The Passat with 1.8 turbo is also an excellent choice however I have my reservations about putting a Naija mechanic and a turbocharged engine in the same room!  cheesy

My pick: VW Passat GLX with 2.8L V6.  wink   I wish you good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by nkc(m): 10:17pm On Jun 18, 2009
i dont knw wat else to say, my vw gurus have said it all. VW 4 LIFE, VW IS ALL YOU WILL EVER NEED, GO WITH SIENNA, MIDAS, DCORIOUS AND ALL D VW FANS AND FANATICS. WE R SOLIDLY BEHIND YOU. IF YUR IN ABJ, WE HOOK UP , IF YUR IN DOUBT

1 Like

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by BCB: 12:05am On Jun 19, 2009
I believe that VW Passats are quite reliable. German vehicles and Japanese vehicles are quite different it is like comparing apples to oranges. Japanese vehicles have a more comfortable and forgiven feel while German vehicles have a true feel. Both are quite reliable and have dependable engines and transmissions. Both are great choices, You just have to figure out what your driving styles and needs are before buying anything.

1 Like

Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by blackwhale: 2:43pm On Jun 20, 2009
I am no expert but can say this:
TRUE: Original parts are costly (like any other brand for that matter).
TRUE: Fuel consumption is higher than the Jap cars but not THAT much.
TRUE: Mechanics are uncomfortable just looking under the hood (u would too, but with amazement)

However, for a car built between 2001 and 2004,
It is a pleasure to look at (inside and out).
Definitely a pleasure to drive (road handling and access to function buttons).
Fuel consumption is made up by performance.
And when you do get/fix original parts, you can forget about that part giving you another problem.
The body is near rock-strong. Over-all durability so much better than the Japs.

If your stomach is strong enough to handle the "higher costs" of maintenance, its a VERY alright car. It may take a little longer fixing issues in/around the engine because you have to remove the bumpers and radiators (V6 model). Seems the engine is slid horizontally INTO place from the front, not dropped in from top. You should just see my mechanic in action (thats where most of the expenses go- labour charge).
It also helps if you are the only one using it. That way, you'll quickly notice any changes/abnormalities, limiting your trips to "engineer" to REGULAR servicing. Note the word REGULAR.

Bottom line; only a mechanic who knows his onions (that of VW/Audi/Skoda) will make you enjoy the car. Wrong mechanic and you'll regret owning a car (and thats general advice for ANY car). More Jap mechanics out there, because more Jap/Korean cars out there. And thats because of massive marketing by Jap/Korean auto makers. Check the papers, European cars are'nt half as advertised as the Asian cars. (Thats another story).

To be mind-safe, assured and well in comfort zone - Toyota/Honda
Wild pleasure and unrestrained - need you ask?.

JUST MY "NON-EXPERT" OPINION.
Re: Are Passats Really Unreliable? Expert Advice Needed ? by pak: 1:53pm On Jun 23, 2009
Whao ! ! !

gotten more responses than I could ever have imagined

infact I'v got to learn more bout the german and Japanese cars than ever.

@Sienna
You're simply the bomb.

So you owned a car as far back as 1988 ! I wasnt even ten then .

I uesd to think you were a young chap probably in his twenties but now I know

you are 'bros'.   wink wink

Thanks for the inputs, they r well appreciated. & are you a formula one driver ?

whats all this bout driving from spain to england then to france

@ blackwhale , BCB,  Inglewood, promise, dcurios
You Great !

@Sultan , you have the wisdom of the aged !

similar to what my old man would have said

@nkc

na jos I dey O !

and thanks for being 'SOLIDLY BEHIND ME' , I feel like a politician already.

my num is ..., I come to ABJ very often, we can still hook up

@midas
Your suggestion was quite incisive.

any ideas bout the cost of a good tokunbo passat with the specs you mentioned.

and r u in Naija, lag, abj or do you know any VW mechanic/ dealer to recommend.

My budget is 800K, so cost is a consideration.

@Osci

Long time, my email addy - ...@yahoo.com

I'l expect your mail.

(but why not just post it on the thread - rem its an open thread )

anyway dont forget to add the cost and location and exact condition of the ride

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Prices Of Brand New Marcopolo Buses / Has Anyone Done Any Business With Afialinks? / Brand New Kia Vehicles For Sale! New Price Update

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.