Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,843 members, 7,945,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 01:31 AM

The Model Of Your Cell Phone - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Model Of Your Cell Phone (462 Views)

Man Who Duped His Fiancée Arrested And Placed In A Police Cell / New Penis Implant Will Alert Your Cell Phone When Your Man Is Cheating! / That Moment You See Your Mom Holding Your Cell Phone-(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Model Of Your Cell Phone by dantewest: 3:51pm On Jan 02, 2016
This is the world under the influence of electronic devices.

It is an eerie place, filled with people who seemingly look past each other and into empty space. In reality, they are staring into their cellphones, tablets and other screens.

We all know the girl who texts through dinner dates, compulsively checks Instagram to see what all her friends are eating at other restaurants, or ends every argument with a Google search—she’s one of those people so tied to their cell phones that it’s never out of arm’s reach. But what if that friend is… you?

Just the other day, I was spending time at home with a close friend who brought her group of their friends who came around with their kids. I couldn’t help but eavesdrop on the conversation of the kids playing, one of the most repeated conversations I overheard was their constant comparison of technology. “Which iPhone do you have? What number iPod is that? And guess who just got a new iPad for her birthday?” It was alarming to hear kids under the age of 10 spend so much energy comparing models of battery-powered electronics. And as much as I wanted to blame them and correct them, I was reminded that we adults are not that different. If we are not comparing cell phones, we are often lusting after faster computers and bigger television screens.

We can’t help ourselves. We naturally want more of what makes us feel happy, at ease or socially accepted. Because addiction often is born from pleasure and convenience, even the most innocuous things can become addictive. The emergence of smartphones has exacerbated our addiction to connectivity, not to mention pleasure. Scientists have shown our brains get a hit of dopamine – the chemical linked to happiness – when we hear our phones beep or ring.

I’ve been noticing a trend more and more within my circle of friends and within our generation as a whole: We can’t seem to get by without some sort of interaction with our phone. I was out to dinner with a friend, who leaves his phone on the table, face up, constantly checking it while we’re eating. I began wondering if I was completely boring or if he was expecting a text from the Pope. Another friend couldn’t watch a movie at home without checking his phone every 15 minutes or so. At concerts, we’re seeing the concert through the lens of the camera app rather then experiencing it as it was meant to be experienced. I have friends whose faces I haven’t seen in years because they’re always looking down at their phone — but I know the top of their head very well.

A group of my guy friends went out to celebrate a birthday and at one point I noticed that every one of us was doing something on our phones. One of the boys suggested we all put our phones in a pile and whoever checked their phone first had to pay the tab. It worked. We may love our phones but we love not being broke more. No one wanted to pay that gargantuan alcohol bill, so the phones sat in a glowing pile, buzzing and chirping away.

We aren’t experiencing life. We’re losing moments with every tap. It’s cheating, really. We may be physically present with our friends and loved ones but we’re texting some one else… or checking a sports score… or tweeting… or reading the latest Olamide and Don Jazzy fall out article (Please continue reading, btw).

I challenge you to try this: Put down the phone. Put down the iPad. Be present and be in the moment for just one day. Enjoy the conversation of those that are physically with you — those who have chosen to take time out of their lives and spend it with you. Watch an entire movie without checking your phone. Have a full conversation without glancing at a screen. Disconnect for just a moment. I’m up for the challenge…are you?

https://dantewest./2016/01/02/the-model-of-your-cell-phone/
Re: The Model Of Your Cell Phone by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 02, 2016
Lol...u can take away everything, except my phone..Coz in this place where I live in, I am alone & only phone can connect me to my family & friends abroad cool

1 Like

Re: The Model Of Your Cell Phone by dantewest: 4:06pm On Jan 02, 2016
KashyBaby:
Lol...u can take away everything, except my phone..Coz in this place where I live in, I am alone & only phone can connect me to my family & friends abroad cool

NYSC posting?
Re: The Model Of Your Cell Phone by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 02, 2016
True true embarassed
Re: The Model Of Your Cell Phone by elantraceey(f): 4:20pm On Jan 02, 2016
I used to be that but things changed when it went bad and I couldn't replace or repair it immediately.
Re: The Model Of Your Cell Phone by yinkeys(m): 9:15pm On Jan 03, 2016
KashyBaby:
Could I know your real 1st name?

(1) (Reply)

15 Great First Date Question For Guys. / How To Avoid Getting Distracted By Boys/men / My Friend Wishes To Be Flavour's Next Baby Mama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.