Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,783 members, 7,915,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 06:06 PM

The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God (1214 Views)

Lokoja Pastor Attempts To Heal A Mad Man And Was Beaten (Photos) / Why Were We Given Free Will Which Could Still Lead Us To Hell? / Conversation Between A Tweeter & A 'Blood Money' Ritualist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
So truthislight thread about Freewill got me thinking about free will and while browsing I thought of this conversation. Enjoy!smileysmileysmiley

MORTAL: O God, I pray thee, if you have any last ounce of mercy for this thy suffering creature, absolve me of having to have free will!

GOD: You reject the greatest gift I have given thee?

MORTAK: How can you call what was forced on me a gift? I have free will but not of my own choice. I have never chosen to have freewill. I have it, whether I like it or not!

GOD: Why would you wish not to have free will?

MORTAL: Because free will means moral responsibility, and moral responsibility is more than I can bear!

GOD: Why do you find moral responsibility so unbearable?

MORTAL: Honestly, I don't know why. All that I know is that I do

GOD: All right, in that case what if I absolve you from all moral responsilibilty but leave you will free will. Will this be satisfactory?

MORTAL(after a pause): No, it isn't.

GOD: Ah, as I thought! So moral responsibility is not the only aspect of free will to which you object. What else about free will is bothering you?

MORTAL: With free will I am capable of sinning and I don't want to sin!

GOD: If you don't want to sin, then why do you?

MORTAL: Good God! I don't know why I sin, I just do! Evil temptations come along and I just can't resist them.

GOD: If it is really true that you cannot resist them, then you are not sinning of your free will and hence, not sinning at all!

MORTAL: No,no! I keep feeling that if only I tried harder I could avoid sinning and the prospect of sinning frightens me.

GOD: Why does the thought of sinning frightening you?

MORTAL: Well, for one, you kinda have a reputation for meting out rather gruesome punishments in the afterlife!

GOD: Oh, so that's what's bothering you! Why didn't just say so and avoid beating round the bush. Why not simply request me not to punish you for any of your sins.

MORTAL: I think I'm realistic enough to know that you would never grant such a request!

GOD: You don't say! Well I'll tell you what I'm going to do! I will grant you a very special pardon to sin as much as you like and I give you my divine word that I will never punish you in the least. Agreed?

MORTAL (in great terror): No, no, don't do that!

GOD: Why not? Don't you trust my divine word?

MORTAL: Of course I do! But Lord, I don't want to sin at all! I have an utter distaste for sinning, apart from any punishment.

GOD: In that case, I'll offer you this: Here is magic pill. Just swallow it and you'll lose all distaste for sinning. You will joyfully and merrily sin away, with not regrets, distaste and I still promise you blissful eternity! Well?

MORTAL (after thinking a great deal): No, I still refuse!

GOD: Aren't you being irrational now? Why not?

MORTAL: The pill might take away my future distaste for sin but my present distaste for sin prevents me from taking it!

GOD: I command you to take it!

MORTAL: I refuse!

GOD: What! You refuse of your own free will?

MORTAL: Ye.....(looks sheepishly) Yes.

GOD: So it seems that your free will does come in pretty handy, doesn't it?

MORTAL: Well.......

GOD: All right then, let us make a fresh start. Suppose I agree to remove your free will, but with the understanding that you will then commit an enormous number of acts which you now regard as sinful. Technally speaking, you will not be sinning because you are not aware of your acts. Do you want this?

MORTAL: No

GOD: Hmm, so now let me get this straight. I take it you no longer want to me to remove your free will.

MORTAL (reluctantly): No, I guess not.

GOD: All right, I agree not to. But I'm still not exactly clear as to why you no longer want to be rid of your free will.

MORTAL: Because, without it, I would sin even more.

GOD: But I have already given you immunity.

MORTAL: But if I choose now to be rid of free will, then all my subsequent evil actions will be sins, not of the future, but of the present moment in which I choose not to have free will.

GOD (sighs with divine relief): I know my followers are intelligent! I will pop up later to discuss more with you. But for now, I have to visit Kelsier 472b. Keep up the good work, help people, feed the poor, exercise calmness and generally enjoy life. Till next time!
Sorry if it sounds blashemphous, but believe me, I toned it downgrin
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by urheme: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
grin grin cheesy

Funny but serious

Man is born with freewill, this is a human concept and has nothing to do with religion, even with that a man's freewill must be regulated as he hates taking responsibilities for his atrocities.

Religion is an escape route, blame satan for his terrible actions and ask god for forgiveness undecided

So at the end of it man is blameless.......a religious mind has no freewill....na wa
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
urheme:
grin grin cheesy
Funny but serious
Man is born with freewill, this is a human concept and has nothing to do with religion, even with that a man's freewill must be regulated as he hates taking responsibilities for his atrocities.
Religion is an escape route, blame satan for his terrible actions and ask god for forgiveness undecided
So at the end of it man is blameless.......a religious mind has no freewill....na wa
Bro, you got the message perfectly!

But no be me talk am.........gringrincheesy
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Bump
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by frank317: 9:08pm On Jan 11, 2016
Lol... Interesting and deep conversation. I am still in wonder, how is free will a gift? If free will exists or if free will is real, its likened to giving someone a gun, knowing it could be used to do regretful things or used to hunt animals.
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 23, 2016
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 23, 2016
You guys prefer to have been created robots with no mind of ur own. Just in order to be irresponsible for ur moral failures? Be reminded:

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live

Rom 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
The choice is yours

Like it or not...... Your eternal destiny( heaven or hell) is ur responsibility.
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by urheme: 9:39pm On Jan 25, 2016
You guys prefer to have been created robots with no mind of ur own. Just in order to be irresponsible for ur moral failures? Be reminded:

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live

Rom 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
The choice is yours

Like it or not...... Your eternal destiny( heaven or hell) is ur responsibility.

No need to quote bible my friend..

Man was born with free will but our free will is regulated by positive laws and not religion,
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 25, 2016
frank317:
Lol... Interesting and deep conversation. I am still in wonder, how is free will a gift? If free will exists or if free will is real, its likened to giving someone a gun, knowing it could be used to do regretful things or used to hunt animals.
There's nothing deep about the conversation. It's just a comedy.
Re: The Concept Of Free Will. A Conversation Between Man And God by Blackfire(m): 11:05pm On Jan 25, 2016
urheme:

No need to quote bible my friend..

Man was born with free will but our free will is regulated by positive laws and not religion,

where ve u been?

(1) (Reply)

T.B Joshua Releases His 2016 Prophesies And They Are Disturbing / Religious Intolerance: Lessons From Yoruba ‘paganism’ / Is The Bible The Word Of God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.