Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,877 members, 7,945,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 07:04 AM

Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates (15249 Views)

Does The Job Market Discriminate? Your Voice Is Needed / This Is An Indian Company You Shouldn't Work For In Nigeria Because Of Racism / Discrimination Against Graduates From State Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Welcomme: 2:54pm On Jan 05, 2016
Are u advising me now to graduate with a third class?

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Sehindemi(f): 3:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
Welcomme:
Are u advising me now to graduate with a third class?
Ur choice hun!
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 05, 2016
for instance, the buhari you see today doesn't have a certificate but yet he's doing better than those who claim to be professors.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Sehindemi(f): 3:38pm On Jan 05, 2016
Heineken:
you're truly a MadCow bro.. You talk too much
cheesy cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by fredchia: 3:57pm On Jan 05, 2016
.Just give everyone of us a chance to define ourselves.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Nelsonmilez: 4:22pm On Jan 05, 2016
Chartey:
Those grades were created for a reason.

Yes there are people who graduate with poor grades and eventually become successful but the majority end up achieving limited success in life. Those who become successful put in the hard work they neglected in school.

Good grades in school are not due to brilliance alone. They're also due to hard work, diligence, self-control, discipline, responsibility, good planning, focus, tenacity and other qualities.

Outside school, these qualities also make good employees (and employers) so it's only rational for recruiters to prefer graduates with such grades to others.

So if you're still in school make your good grades so that things will likely be easier for you outside school. A strong foundation is always a good thing.

Lalasticlala why are you keeping this beautiful topic from the people?
https://www.nairaland.com/2814646/beautiful-work-art-christmas-gift
BT how many PhD holders earn what Ali baba d end n d rest of dem.how many professors b Glo ambassadors??
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Chartey(m): 5:19pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nelsonmilez:
BT how many PhD holders earn what Ali baba d end n d rest of dem.how many professors b Glo ambassadors??

What you forget is that those that run those companies mostly graduated with good grades. They earn real money and added perks not some two-year endorsement deals.

And stop assuming every entertainer had poor grades in school. Falz did well and you can sense the intelligence in his music.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by AyoolaIgwe(m): 6:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
shachris02:
you grades doesn't define you.

The most successful people in the world made low grades.

Some even had no grades.....like our president.

oh! u remind me. it's true our President has no certificate jare. Yet he occupies the highest office in d land.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Cekpo34(m): 6:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
Louislewis:
[size=18pt]Majority of 1.1,1.2 or 2.1 are always never the best. Today situation in Nigeria in terms of getting a job, based on grade, has made these grade obtainable, through backdoors with the help of lecturers that are never interested in quality on what you can do with the grade, but their pockets. We all went through the system. We know all these things. Due to these regards, companies and organisations are employing the best, grade wise and yet, productivity remains at low or zero levels. If this nation need to have all-round growth, emphasis on grade shouldn't play any part in terms of employment, but what can you do with whatever qualification either as an ND, HND, BSC, MBA, MSC, or PHD in your field of specialization on the certificate. This will give everyone equal opportunity to come and defend yourself on what you have studied. Grade suppose to end up with the school record for the sole purpose of furthering education of individual when needed. With this, student will belt up for whatever course of study, knowing fully well that "Defence", will be a determinant factor for employment. Employers will get out the best through this means. Lecturers will no longer hold the destiny of students in their hands. Malpractices will drastically reduced from both side of students and lecturers. During my time, I know of a lecturer that talks to the black board with lowest voice without facing the students in a large hall of capacity over 300, write and clear immediately on the board for the sole purpose of having a great number of carry over for that semester and come to next semester to announce with a loud voice to those that had carry over to register with the class rep for extra classes for the sole purpose of making money. This man end up giving out exam questions and answers to participants verbatim and only change figures such that all you need is replace and fix figures and punch your calculator you get the answer. If by chance, you have access to the questions and answers as a non-participants of the carry over class, he will still mark you down by given you "Di". It is all annoying seeing your future being controlled by unworthy and unqualified so-call lecturers. Yaba Tech (mech dept.) please ungrade. It is annoying.[/size]

I feel ur pains but don't tell me that 100% of the lecturers in ur institution are corrupt. You can't rid the society of corruption but you put in extra effort in other courses to make ur A grade. I am a final year student of History and International Studies in unical...currently on 4.3 but some still fine me worthy of 'C' and 'D'... Make sure ur 'A's are more. Believe it or not, it's only unserious students that grash with 2.2
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by lonelydora: 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2016
All you need to work in any organization is "i-can-do" attitude.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by peleson: 7:38pm On Jan 05, 2016
MadCow1:
Degree..

I failed so much in school not because I was dumb, but because I got into school when I was unprepared to go to school as at when I attended.

Anyways, I failed very well. grin Didn't give two fhucks about classes, but attended because it was compulsory and those lecturers knew us all by name especially me; MadCow.

My first employer was the Man. He looked at my resume and asked for my Certificate, I sent him my Certificate and transcript. My transcript intrigued him so much that he just had to call me in. That interview blew his socks off.

3rd class no mean say the person dull.

And No, I didn't graduate with a third class.. My mother would have killed me. cool

My friend who read more than even 1st class graduates and had so many tutors graduated with a 3rd class. Today he has one of the best jobs out of my graduating class. He works in the field and is a darn good field engineer. Some people are good at applying knowledge, others are good at writing knowledge, others good at cramming.

I was just good at partying.. Thank God that attending classes was compulsory cos I believe everything I learnt from university was learnt during the period I sat in class.

That said.. I actually regret not putting in work in school. Not because I am not doing well today, but because I have to count on somebody overlooking my degree classification to get a chance that First Class and Second class upper graduates get on a platter. Also because I could have graduated with a first class if I had bothered to make an effort.

Mad cow u r good. One love
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by peleson: 7:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
Cekpo34:

I feel ur pains but don't tell me that 100% of the lecturers in ur institution are corrupt. You can't rid the society of corruption but you put in extra effort in other courses to make ur A grade. I am a final year student of History and International Studies in unical...currently on 4.3 but some still fine me worthy of 'C' and 'D'... Make sure ur 'A's are more. Believe it or not, it's only unserious students that grash with 2.2
With ur course fine but engineering, a 3rd class will dust ur likes. I'm not saying u r not good though
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by H2Ossss(m): 9:45pm On Jan 05, 2016
peleson:

With ur course fine but engineering, a 3rd class will dust ur likes. I'm not saying u r not good though
hahahaha... that was harsh... anyway i also said that to my friend in crop production on 1st class while i was on 2.1 mech engine.

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by shegzxxy(m): 7:10am On Jan 06, 2016
grin grin chai egbon,ur comparison self
PLANETMARS:
Op u dey mad wella for head so for where wizkid dey u say make I call Airforce1 for show?
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Uchemus(m): 7:21am On Jan 06, 2016
mikkypel:

Read well b4 u vomit trash and disgusting words... Some first class students got it through back doors while some Second class or third class got it with all their efforts.. Remember I used the word SOME.. all fingers are not equal, God did not create brains the same

baba, y r u so much pained, no b fight naa, abi u b third class?
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Sehindemi(f): 7:41am On Jan 06, 2016
PLANETMARS:
oops I forwarded it to chimaritoponcho's dad he needed it urgently
U must be really mean..
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by PLANETMARS(m): 8:13am On Jan 06, 2016
Sehindemi:
U must be really mean..
dearie I aint he started it

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Louislewis: 9:59am On Jan 06, 2016
Cekpo34:

[size=16]Don't feel my pain because I am gainfully employed. Not only being employed, but with one of the best silent and well organized engineeering company, that today,as I write this, I am above 250,000 naira per month. I have nothing to gain or lose on what my stand on this topic. I am only telling you, Nigerians, and employersof labour, nothing but the truth. You may have your 1.1, or 1.2 and yet you are not still better of than someone with 3.0 outside the four walls of the academic environment. So many things can lid to poor performance while in school and so many negatives things happen in the academic system of today that promote higher scores that lid majority of our 1.1, 1.2 which within the outside community of academic can not defend it which you and I know, even though, your score may be sincere. Many people have argued using grade for yardstick for employment is to reduced numbers of applicant; yes, it was right, but it is not the best. The only way number of applicants can be reduced justifiably, is to go with the system of "FIRST RECEIVED, FIRST ACKNOWLEDGE" method as applications flow in with a short period of time. With this method, equal opportunity is given to everybody like fastest finger first.[/size]
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by mikkypel(m): 12:48pm On Jan 06, 2016
Uchemus:

baba, y r u so much pained, no b fight naa, abi u b third class?
Should I forward my CV?
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Uchemus(m): 1:38pm On Jan 06, 2016
mikkypel:

Should I forward my CV?
i cant employ you, you have a poor manner of approach. thnks.
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Cekpo34(m): 9:28pm On Jan 06, 2016
Louislewis:

[size=16]Don't feel my pain because I am gainfully employed. Not only being employed, but with one of the best silent and well organized engineeering company, that today,as I write this, I am above 250,000 naira per month. I have nothing to gain or lose on what my stand on this topic. I am only telling you, Nigerians, and employersof labour, nothing but the truth. You may have your 1.1, or 1.2 and yet you are not still better of than someone with 3.0 outside the four walls of the academic environment. So many things can lid to poor performance while in school and so many negatives things happen in the academic system of today that promote higher scores that lid majority of our 1.1, 1.2 which within the outside community of academic can not defend it which you and I know, even though, your score may be sincere. Many people have argued using grade for yardstick for employment is to reduced numbers of applicant; yes, it was right, but it is not the best. The only way number of applicants can be reduced justifiably, is to go with the system of "FIRST RECEIVED, FIRST ACKNOWLEDGE" method as applications flow in with a short period of time. With this method, equal opportunity is given to everybody like fastest finger first.[/size]

I get ur point! But not all 2.2 and 3rd class students wer serious with their studies and definitely some pay for their 2.1 too but I refuse to believe that anyone can buy FIRST CLASS (because defending it will always be a problem). I want to let you know that you got that job not on merit but because wer lucky (and through God's grace). Stop encouraging laziness in school simply because you are earning 250k. Another person in the street with 2.2 may not support this ur argument. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by Cekpo34(m): 9:39pm On Jan 06, 2016
peleson:

Sciences always thinking they are better than arts. Well if you tell me that of a Harvard University student I may believe u but not in Nigerian Universities where professors of physics can't even invent ordinary insecticide. If you think cramming formula makes u better than a historian, we also rot dates!
Re: Why Employers Shouldn't Discriminate Against Graduates by mikkypel(m): 10:14am On Jan 07, 2016
Uchemus:
i cant employ you, you have a poor manner of approach. thnks.
Lmao.. Look at this one.. Employ me?? You don't know what you are saying

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Got A Job Through Nairaland / Flour Mills Workers Stage Protest Outside The Company Seeking A Increased Salary / FG Not Owing N-power Beneficiaries – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.