Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,805 members, 7,921,857 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 01:45 PM

Opinion: This Government May Not Win This War Against Corruption - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: This Government May Not Win This War Against Corruption (427 Views)

Neither Senate Nor DSS Can Stop My Fight Against Corruption — Magu / Feyi Fawehinmi: I’m Sorry If I Convinced Anyone To Vote For This Government / This Picture Says A Lot About Buhari's Fight Against Corruption (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: This Government May Not Win This War Against Corruption by thunder74(m): 6:11pm On Jan 05, 2016
Caveat: I am not holding brief for anyone. I support the war against corruption but my belief is that you cant break the law to uphold the law.

Let me educate some of you who are supporting the style of this government. The APC led government knows that they cant win the cases of criminal conspiracy or stealing against most of the people arrested so far if they go on trial because most of the noise they are shouting here can not stand in any court of justice. Our courts are courts of evidence and not courts of sentiments or propaganda. Evey matter must be proved beyond reasonable doubt and once there is a little doubt, it would be resolved in favour of the accused because it is better for hundred criminals to evade justice than for one innocent man to be punished.

The procedure in our criminal justice is that, you can accuse anybody for any crime and on the day of arraignment, all he needs to do is to plead guilty or not guilty. The court will not take or listen to his defence on that day even if he screamed that he is innocent. The court will grant him bail if the offence is bailable and if not bailable, he would be remanded in prison custody pending the determination of the case. You can imagine how long that will take before the final determination of the matter. Yet he is innocent.

The prosecution will open and prove his case after which you will open your defence. It is at the end of the trial that the court will determine that the prosecution did not/was not able to proof the case against you beyond reasonable doubt. Then the matter will be dismissed and the accused acquitted.

Before then, 1) your freedom would be taken away before you perfect your bail, 2) You will be embarrassed and labelled thief and corrupt person or criminal.

If you follow the trend of this government and the previous PDP government, you will observe that they hardly conclude any matter successfully in court and this government can not win most of the cases they are charging these PDP men for. The reason they refused to allow many of them to enjoy the bail granted by competent courts.

Le us examine few of them
DOKPESI
We read that he was accused of receiving money from NSA for publicity and the money was labelled part of the arms deal scandal. The truth of the matter is that there is no way the government can win the case against Daar Communications or its directors who were not government officials for the contract it entered with the government independently and executed. Whether the money was stolen should not be his problem since he was not working in the office of the NSA or an elected or appointed government official. Many of us that run companies or those of you that are contractors, how many time have you asked any company you are supplying or working for about where they got the money they used in paying you? We dont ask question (presumption of correctness) because that is not our concern. Your business is to execute the project and get paid. We all know that AIT carried out the image laundering of the government and PDP during the election, infact, the main reason he is being prosecuted.

Anybody the government wants to keep out of circulation, all they need to do is to accuse you of receiving or alleging that they traced money to your account from the NSA office. Have you even asked the states Governors how they spend their security votes? If you are given the details of all that receive money or got paid money from security votes, you will laugh. The reason why many people receive money from the office of the NSA and the question should be.....the money given to them, were they used for the purpose?

For Example, If I dont like Seun or barcanista's faces again, all I need to do to keep them temporary out circulation is to write a frivolous petition to the office of the IG or my division Police station that they are threatening my life and further made an attempt to kidnap my wife. They will be arrested and I will insist that the matter be charged to court. it only at the trial that they will tell the court that I was lying but before then, they would have spent some days in Kirikiri before perfecting their bail and after perfecting their bail for threat to life, they would be rearrested again for kidnapping (The new style in town).

Life example:
I was in court one day, A young man was brought to court and the charges were 1) possession of firearms, 2) Attempted murder, 3) Threat to life. This guy was remanded in prison for about 2 years and every adjourned date, no IPO or complainant in court. On that day the magistrate asked him what happened. The guy said he is a tiler, he worked for one rich man but the man refused to pay him and after many attempt to get his money he sent a text message to the rich man that if he continue to refuse to pay him "oku a sun" (Person go die). After receiving the sms, the rich man tricked him to come and collect his money, on getting to his house, he was arrested by the police, on getting to the station, the police brought out a black nylon bag that contained a gun and alleged that it was his own and that was how he saw himself in Kirikiri and wasted 2 years of his life without any trial. The magistrate struck out the case that day. I can tell you that there are many people in detention for things they know nothing about.

Dasuki has not said anything in all these allegations, all he said was that we should wait for his defence at the trial to see revelations. I just hope he has something reasonable to say and for all condemning those accused "agbejo eti kan dajo, agba osika ni" (It is only the wicked that judge or condemned based on one sided story).

This arms scandal will not finish because it is a good alibi to get people's sentiment to accuse anybody of corruption. The same way Buhari name appeared on the SUV and £300k gates is how many names will still come up, if we can accept Buhari's defence, we should also give others the benefit of the doubt. Our laws say every accused is presumed innocent until. Whatever you permit will increase. It will soon get to your door step.

(1) (Reply)

Al Zak Zaky Imbroglio: Questions For The Army / Ogogoro Youths in Rivers Buries Pdp Flag In Grave after Defecting to APC / O Ye Nigerians And People Of Goodwill, Pray For My Presidency!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.