Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,528 members, 7,881,792 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 09:20 AM

Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? (2454 Views)

Photos Of Jonathan Being Mocked......#sad Day / Sad Day For Obasanjo - Bolanle Bolawole (Nigerian Tribune) / A 'Sad' Public Announcement! - An Obituary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by tpiah: 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

u mean oh

am I the one scamming people?

Why are you attacking me and ignoring the actual 419ers?

Or is it all a big lie being told on Nigerians?
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Fhemmmy: 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2009
tpiah:

am I the one scamming people?

Why are you attacking me and ignoring the actual 419ers?

Or is it all a big lie being told on Nigerians?

I am referring to your " I dont see what moaning will achieve here" in your previous post.
BTW i wasnt attacking u.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by MrCrackles(m): 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2009
Poster

DO'h! grin
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by tpiah: 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Unfortunately, things are not as easy when wearing the "Nigerian" badge. I notice people from other nationalities do not get the same stare I do when I mention where I am from. Some poeple politely say something like "You ascent seems different" but you can easily figure out that the expression on their faces tells a different story. Roflmao!!!

it depends.

Some people also give you the funny stare because your naija brothers used them for green card then went home and brought over another wife.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by tpiah: 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

I am referring to your " I dont see what moaning will achieve here" in your previous post.
BTW i wasnt attacking u.

well, I dont see what moaning over it is supposed to achieve, thats all.

Stuff happens. Shake it off and move on.

The same customer will be praising Nigeria to the high heavens if they offer him some contracts there.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Fhemmmy: 5:22pm On Jun 16, 2009
tpiah:

well, I dont see what moaning over it is supposed to achieve, thats all.

Stuff happens. Shake it off and move on.

The same customer will be praising Nigeria to the high heavens if they offer him some contracts there.

Well said, but how easy we can shake things off is not same.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by tpiah: 5:59pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Well said, but how easy we can shake things off is not same.

ok!

She can continue feeling depressed then.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by vigasimple(m): 6:29pm On Jun 16, 2009
From the Government YAR A'LIAR to young men and women in Nigeria, there are too many YAHOOZE, or YAHOO YAHOO.

Ordinary people are 419's , Our Government are 41(12) dozen . The rebranding excercise MUST start with our own President start being responsible to the people and the electorate and tell the truth.

He lied and continue to lie, the head of a country, believe me no one will trust citizen of lieing country President.

Read my lips ' I WILL DECLARE EMERGENCY ON POWER WITHIN 100 DAYS OF ASSUMING OFFICE'

President YAR A'LIAR April 2007

Today's date: 16th June 2009 = 2 years 2 months.

If the head of the home does not tell the truth, you cannot exepct the kids in the house to tell the truth.

I am sorry for the posters predicament, this is all we go through on daily basis.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:31pm On Jun 16, 2009
asha 80:

So the name nigeria is no longer saleable?

No. The same Ghanaians that claimed to be nigerians in the 70s/early 80s are now laughing at you.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Gbawe: 6:38pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Unfortunately, things are not as easy when wearing the "Nigerian" badge. I notice people from other nationalities do not get the same stare I do when I mention where I am from. Some poeple politely say something like "You ascent seems different" but you can easily figure out that the expression on their faces tells a different story. Roflmao!!!

True. Akunyili's rebranding effort is understandable for that reason , even as it is doomed  to fail because of its insincere attempt to "put the cart before the horse" . I can understand that our universal negative image riles Akunyili , and virtually all decent Nigerians ,  but she must understand that the World did not just choose to single out Nigeria.  When , for example , our politicians and leaders (to include Akunyili ) partisanly used our armed forces, miscreant thugs and Electoral commision to shame our entire nation in full view of the world over the Ekiti Gubernatorial elections did they not think of the damage they were doing to our collection reputation? Our negative perception by others is not the result of victimisation and it will not be wished away with anything but  a sincere attempt from Nigeria and Nigerians to do what is right and just always. That is what earns you an enduring good reputation !!!

@ Poster . Abeg , like someone said already , just say you are Ghanaian next time !!!
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by ochocinco1(m): 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

No. The same Ghanaians that claimed to be nigerians in the 70s/early 80s are now laughing at you.

Considering we are discussing the negative stereotyping of Nigerians, I think the clip in your profile will soon have them calling us insensitive, . . .what, with the recent death of Mike Tyson's daughter. It is just not right nor funny.

Please Please Please remove it.

In fact I will endure your picture in its place.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
You must be a barrel of laughs at parties eh?
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Fhemmmy: 6:47pm On Jun 16, 2009
vigasimple:

From the Government YAR A'LIAR to young men and women in Nigeria, there are too many YAHOOZE, or YAHOO YAHOO.

Ordinary people are 419's , Our Government are 41(12) dozen . The rebranding excercise MUST start with our own President start being responsible to the people and the electorate and tell the truth.

He lied and continue to lie, the head of a country, believe me no one will trust citizen of lieing country President.

Read my lips ' I WILL DECLARE EMERGENCY ON POWER WITHIN 100 DAYS OF ASSUMING OFFICE'

President YAR A'LIAR April 2007

Today's date: 16th June 2009 = 2 years 2 months.

If the head of the home does not tell the truth, you cannot exepct the kids in the house to tell the truth.

I am sorry for the posters predicament, this is all we go through on daily basis.

i love that name for that dumb sucker.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Fhemmmy: 6:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
ocho cinco:

Considering we are discussing the negative stereotyping of Nigerians, I think the clip in your profile will soon have them calling us insensitive, . . .what, with the recent death of Mike Tyson's daughter. It is just not right nor funny.

Please Please Please remove it.

In fact I will endure your picture in its place.

The Ghanians are not only laffing at Nigerians.
Nigerians are now running to Ghana looking for greener pastures.
Some Ghanian friends that i have are now blaming Nigeria for the stealing and some petty fraud going on in the country, and do i blv them, yes i do, cos we are just pathetic liars.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Jun 16, 2009
Roflmao!!! This is seriously terrible! Ghanians now look down their noses at us? OH GOSH!!! lol
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by asha80(m): 9:28pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Roflmao!!! This is seriously terrible! Ghanians now look down their noses at us? OH GOSH!!! lol

So you do not know?
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Fhemmmy: 9:40pm On Jun 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

that is how low Nigeria descended oh 'how the mighty are falling"
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by CyberG: 10:16pm On Jun 16, 2009
Poster. . .

You are not alone in your experience. . .Naija is worse than a NO NAME brand:

1. Last time I purchased a ticket on Emirates to Nigeria, they wouldn`t accept a credit card payment. . .you know why!
2. If I typed any URL into your browser that has `NIGERIA` as part of the website name, it is blocked from my computer (even a newspaper website). I know what happened but who do you question about it?

Another crazy one:

3. You even meet a nice lady and she`s so into you. . .drop the name Naija. . .and she`s gone. . .LOL (Well, some will go but NOT all will just because of that). If you`ve got a real foreign accent, they may not believe it. . .and even ask if you are serious. . .like asking you: `Really. . .?`.

Some people may say `na today`, `no biggie`, etc. . .wait until it happens to you personally and see how the easiest things in the world for others become so difficult for you because you are from Naija! Well, if you are going anywhere, better carry your foreign passport until you get to Nigeria`s border, where they have no choice than to accept the passport (yawa document grin) but Naija passport for most countries only attract NEGATIVE attention! Imagine you are the only person the German Shephard dogs are sniffing even when you no even carry fish or bush meat!  grin grin.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On Jun 16, 2009
CyberG:

2. If I typed any URL into your browser that has `NIGERIA` as part of the website name, it is blocked from my computer (even a newspaper website). I know what happened but who do you question about it?

Now that is the funniest!!! ROFLMAO!!
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by preselect(m): 10:44pm On Jun 16, 2009
this is sad, but we have to live with it, and deal with it. each time i go to the US, i am always selected at security checks in the airports for more security search. i take it, my fellow nigerians caused it, i bear it. no wahala.

in the UK, when i'm at work, i try to speak in an adulterated accent that can not be placed on any map in the world grin grin i keep people guessing where i'm from and my face doesnt encourage them to ask. this is so humuliating b/c i'll love to be myself, no disrespect to the british accent but i have no stress with my nigerian accent. but i cant use it at work, it will make things inesplicably tougher for me.

anyways, e go better grin
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by tpiah: 10:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
CyberG:

Poster. . .

what kind of browser are you using?

I type Nigeria in my own browser all the time and have never had a problem.

CyberG:

3. You even meet a nice lady and she`s so into you. . .drop the name Naija. . .and she`s gone. . .LOL (Well, some will go but NOT all will just because of that). If you`ve got a real foreign accent, they may not believe it. . .and even ask if you are serious. . .like asking you: `Really. . .?`.

do you have any words of advice for those of your naija brothers who have used, abused and embittered these ladies?
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by preselect(m): 10:52pm On Jun 16, 2009
make the ladies go hang. if they have a bad rlshp with some naija man they should be matured enough not to make a hasty generalisation of all naijamen.

instead they should examine themselves and find out why they attract only bad men.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by debosky(m): 11:00pm On Jun 16, 2009
Even browsers have beef with naija? This is serious grin grin grin

@ CyberG where I've been, women flock to naija men - they've seen how they take care of their women. I guess it depends on where you are. wink
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Grizzly(m): 11:18pm On Jun 16, 2009
Inasmuch as i know its true our name's been soiled like diapers, I dont give a f%*k about wat they think seriously!! I dont care!
The greatest fraud of the modern era or indeed the century, Bernie Maddof, true to his name made-off with over a billion dollars of people's sweat.
I f*cking billion!
I no sure say y! boys don scam people reach dat amount since d inception of fraud for naija. Chai!
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by CyberG: 1:11am On Jun 17, 2009
@ Tpiah. . .

tpiah:

what kind of browser are you using?

I type Nigeria in my own browser all the time and have never had a problem.

do you have any words of advice for those of your naija brothers who have used, abused and embittered these ladies?

I should point out that the issue is not with the browser itself. . .and I use multiple browsers at home and at work. This issue comes-up at work because of access restrictions that have been placed on such websites. . .remember that most big organizations run enterprise networks that have all kinds of 'toys' to monitor and control everything that happens on the network. Having worked with those toys for a long while. . .I am in no doubt as to what is happening but what can be done about it when I know the kind of news that is coming out of Nigeria? Sometimes, we may think that these people don't care or don't know but the reality is they know a LOT of the current issues and unfortunately, what they HEAR and SEE is BAD news!

At home, of course, everything runs fine. . .so since I noticed that access was blocked to Nigerian sites (e.g. Nigeriaworld.com), I just wait till I get home before accessing any such site.

Well, as for the ladies thing. . .though I know all kinds of crazy things happen in the dating arena, I am specifically referring to people who have not necessarily dated a Nigerian guy but they hear 'stories'. . .which they may not care to verify or just conclude based on the stereotypes that has come to live in their heads. However, there are still a lot of others who will not pre-judge solely on that issue.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by CyberG: 1:23am On Jun 17, 2009
debosky:

Even browsers have beef with naija? This is serious grin grin grin

@ CyberG where I've been, women flock to naija men - they've seen how they take care of their women. I guess it depends on where you are. wink

@Debosky. . .

Yes, I agree it depends on where you are actually. However, my comment was more about the ones that pre-judge and really have the usual stereotypical views which are informed not necessarily by their own personal experience. . .but what they have heard from a friend or what they have read in the news. For example, someone hears how a lady, say in Australia, was scammed by a Nigerian guy. . .even without reading or reflecting on the details. . .forms an opinion. . .it sounds weird but it is so real.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by tpiah: 1:30am On Jun 17, 2009
CyberG:

@ Tpiah. . .

I should point out that the issue is not with the browser itself. . .and I use multiple browsers at home and at work. This issue comes-up at work because of access restrictions that have been placed on such websites. . .remember that most big organizations run enterprise networks that have all kinds of 'toys' to monitor and control everything that happens on the network. Having worked with those toys for a long while. . .I am in no doubt as to what is happening but what can be done about it when I know the kind of news that is coming out of Nigeria? Sometimes, we may think that these people don't care or don't know but the reality is they know a LOT of the current issues and unfortunately, what they HEAR and SEE is BAD news!

At home, of course, everything runs fine. . .so since I noticed that access was blocked to Nigerian sites (e.g. Nigeriaworld.com), I just wait till I get home before accessing any such site.

Well, as for the ladies thing. . .though I know all kinds of crazy things happen in the dating arena, I am specifically referring to people who have not necessarily dated a Nigerian guy but they hear 'stories'. . .which they may not care to verify or just conclude based on the stereotypes that has come to live in their heads. However, there are still a lot of others who will not pre-judge solely on that issue.

I actually wondered if you were joking about the Nigeria thing. Thanks for explaining anyway.

yes, some companies do that because of the high level of fraud and scams associated with the country.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Akabiboy(m): 11:46am On Jun 17, 2009
The issue raised by the poster is something that happens on a daily basis, i have had experiences in that regard but when it keeps happening on a regular basis then one begins to wonder if nigerians are the only ones involved in fraudulent activities.
I used to work in a call center a couple of years ago in the uk and a colleague who happens to be a naija guy always get calls hunged up on him when it gets to the credit card part. The guy can not fake accent hence it was easy to know he is a nigerian.
I think it easy for some people to say there is no big deal about it but when being a nigerian start being a block on your ambition then you realise how serious this is.
Fraud is a big thing in nigeria and the number of nigerians involved in fraudulent acts is not by no means small.
Infact 419 and yahoo yahooism is like a prominent economic sector in nigeria as the number of operators and perpetrators is increasing at an alarming rate.
Imaging being warning about getting calls from nigerians trying to make orders with stolen cards and the next 2 calls you get are from nigerians placing orders with cards that doesnt bear their name.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by SamMilla1(m): 12:38pm On Jun 17, 2009
learn to answer questions with questions,
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by JustGood(m): 12:43pm On Jun 17, 2009
I wont blame the guy for doing so. It's all down to the perception we have created in the minds of people for ourselves. I may also hesitate to give a Nigerian my credit card details in a call centre, knowing that there are quite a lot of Nigerians in the UK who are unashamedly into these credit card things.

Its up to us to start shopping the idiots among us who make the world laugh us to scorn.
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by JJYOU: 1:06pm On Jun 17, 2009
for up to 3 years plus now BA dont accept your cards online for flights to nigeria unless u have an idemnity in place to pay if the transaction dont go through. they dont accept $100 and sometimes £50 notes for payment onboard too. every good business should protect itself from all forms of frauds so i dont blame them.

some people where trying to be funny here 2 yrs ago when i asked why a nigerian would be paying £10 for an MTN card barely 5 mins to landing in naija. of course he was trying to pay with $100 note. it was so obvious he was up to no good but he made noise so much you would think they were about to kill him. they were racist in his book.
so many people give us a bad name
Re: Such A Sad Day For Me: Will This Name Ever Be Clean Again? by Fhemmmy: 1:22pm On Jun 17, 2009
Sam Milla:

learn to answer questions with questions,

I second that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Must See: Dividends Of Democracy Pictures. / Breaking News, Turai Now President, Yaradua Her ADC / Get Ibori Dead Or Alive, Jonathan Orders Onovo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.