Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,879 members, 7,915,518 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 05:27 AM

Our Education System Is Stupid - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Our Education System Is Stupid (360 Views)

Kaduna Adopts Finland Education System; To Pay Teachers More – El-Rufai / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / Reasons Why We Should Prioritize Our Education Above Anything Else (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Our Education System Is Stupid by HonSTONE(m): 10:06pm On Jan 10, 2016
OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM IS STUPID

Last year I did a write up on ‘why I think school is stupid ‘, a lot of people criticized my work, some agreed with me. Actually school isn’t stupid but our education system is STUPID, pardon my language.

Our education system has taught us to go to school, graduate with a good result and work in a big organization (for instance oil company where most Engineering graduates would love to work in Nigeria).

The education system has taught us that A means SUCCESS and F means FAILURE, That’s why most students do ‘whatever’ they can to get an A. Please don’t get me wrong, Some persons work hard and get their As genuinely.

What I’m trying to say is that, the system rewards us because we are able to cram and reproduce what we are lectured because we are never taught whether we understood it or not. How Many of our final year students still remember what they were taught in year one? Only a few because all they did was, ‘La Cram, La Pour, La Forget ‘.

My question is this, why can’t the system teach us what we really need to succeed on our field in the outside world. In Nigeria, even after your University, the company you will be working for still have to train you for months. Why wasn’t I taught in school? Because even our lecturers don’t know it.

I installed AutoCAD 2016 on my laptop and took it to an architectural class, my lecturer told me that I wasn’t serious, that I should delete it and get a lower version. I was disappointed, he should have simply told me that he couldn’t work with it and that he was outdated.

I went for my ‘ELA ‘ ie Engineering Laboratory and I told my coordinator that the experiment was useless to me because it didn’t relate to my field. The lecturer said I was the useless one, and all my colleagues laughed at me. I was also disappointed.

I hate the education system of Nigeria, why then do I love school?

I met great men and women in school who impacted in my life positively. I have learnt a lot from my friends and other students in school, things that my lecturers will never teach me. I learnt how to speak publicly, I learnt how to cook, how to dance, how to play game, how to lead people, how to work with AutoCAD and archiCAD, how to market products, how to write and how toimpact lives positively, etc.

I learnt things relating to my field of study not from my lecturers but from outsiders.

What then do we need to succeed? The answer is simple – SELF DEVELOPMENT. Don’t wait for the lecturer, teach your self the things you really need. Go online and get materials. Meet successful people in your field to teach you what you need and finally DREAM BEYOND YOUR CLASS ROOM.

What solution do I suggest?

To me, the education system in Nigeria should be 40% theory and 60% practical. Have you ever wondered what if I go to school and my lecturer teaches me how to drive a car by Just giving me materials to ‘Jack ‘ and I got an A in the course because I reproduced what he taught me in the exam hall. But does that means I can drive? Hell No! I have to go to the field and practice. This is never done in school. I stand to be corrected.

We keep reading books that are older than our grand parents and the society expects us to be better. How can that be?

A great man of God told me that I need to be current, to be corrected so that I can stay connected. You can make a difference.

In school ,we are taught that When we graduate we should look for jobs and make some money but how Many of our lecturers teaches us how to really make money. The change we are looking for starts from you and I, Let’s make a difference. Let’s not focus only on our book work but learn other things, meet great people in school and change the education system.

Creating a successful future takes energy, effort and concentrated thinking.

[Your SUCCESS in life is directly proportional to your HARD WORK]

WRITTEN BY LIVINGSTONE IMONITIE (ALWAYS READY TO SERVE).

For more of my write ups, visit LIVINGSTONE'S HIVE (imonitielivingstone.)