Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,800 members, 7,969,389 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 07:07 AM

Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview (2167 Views)

Never Use These 10 Words To Describe Yourself / Words Never To Use At A Job Interview! / Please Advice; Got Called For A Job Interview I'm Not Qualified for (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by tolexy123: 12:06pm On Jan 12, 2016
There are some things that you should keep to yourself during a job interview – even if you’re thinking them. As you’re preparing answers to interview questions it’s equally important to know what the hiring manager will consider a red flag. After all, a wrong move or two, and it won’t matter how great your sales numbers at your last job were.
Lots of different topics come up in job interviews, and conversations go all over the place, but there are 29 words and phrases that should never, ever, come out of your mouth.

'Nervous'
Sometimes when you’re really nervous, it feels better to clear the air. But in a job interview, it’s best to focus on the positive. The interviewer knows that you’re nervous—show them that you can perform under pressure.

'Money,' 'salary,' 'pay,' 'compensation,' etc.
Look, we all know salary is usually the most important factor when deciding whether or not you’ll take the job. But despite the old saying “honesty is the best policy,” in this case it’s usually wise to pretend that’s not the case and hold off on talk of compensation. Asking about the salary during the interview will give the employer the perception that money is all you care about – even if that’s untrue.

'Weaknesses' or 'mistakes'
Don't let the interviewer know about your weakness on day 1. He/she might judge you on the same.

'Need'
The interviewer needs to know that you want the particular job you're interviewing for -- and that you're a great fit for it. He or she doesn't want to hear about what you need. You might really need that job, but remember that desperation is not appealing

'Perks' or 'benefits'

Save talk about benefits and perks for the negotiation stage -- that is, after you've gotten a job offer -- or until the interviewer raises the issue. A recruiter for a large computer manufacturer relates that many interviewees ask about "how many free products" they’ll get after they’re hired. But if you ask this question, you'll never get hired.

'Terrible,' 'horrible,' 'awful,' 'hate,' etc.
If an interviewer asks about a problem you faced at your previous employer, she is more interested in your ability to solve the problem than the actual problem. A lot of times people just use the ‘challenges faced question’ to criticize their former boss or the team they used to work with. Even if they were horrible, you have to include that key word ‘BUT,’ and then move on from there about what you did to succeed in that environment.

'Fine'
If the job interview says, “How are you?” how do you respond? Stating that you’re ‘fine’ is so vague, not to mention way overused and it can come off as dishonest or being dismissive. Use another word to describe how you really are. Nothing negative!

'S---,' 'b----,' 'f---, ' etc.
Lose the slang when talking to an interviewer. You want to come across as polished and professional, and you don’t want them to have to dig out their urban dictionary to understand you. Bad words should not also appear in a job interview. Even if the hiring manager swears up a storm, it's not a good idea. Show your language skills by using actual words to describe your feelings and situations.

'Um,' 'so,' 'like'
That old saying, “If you don’t have anything to say, don’t say anything at all,” applies here a big. Rather than hemming and hawing while you try to think up an answer, just be silent and think. Saying er or um too much could make you seem unprepared or as though you’re not paying attention.

'Sorry'
This has become another filler word i.e. ‘um’ ‘like’ ‘just’ or ‘so’ and makes you look indecisive or too passive as well as lacking confidence.

'Divorced,' 'pregnant,' 'sick,' etc.
People say it in order to emphasize how much they need the job and to try to get the hiring manager to be compassionate. But this is the wrong emphasis. You should be focusing on how you'll help the company out. Steer clear of anything that invites an interviewer to give you sympathy.

'Actually'
Prefacing sentences with this word, as in, 'Actually, I didn't work on that account,' or 'Actually, you can do it this way,' puts distance between you and the listener by hinting that they were somehow wrong.

'Just'
Adding "just" as a filler word in sentences — as in, "I just think that ..." — may seem harmless, "but it can detract from what you're saying."

'Vacation' or 'holidays'
Even before you begin your work asking about holidays puts you in bad light. Just like the salary conversation, this should be addressed at a later time. Vacation days, after all, are part of your overall compensation package.

http://job.naij.com/tips-Words+You+Should+Never+Use+at+a+Job+Interview-337?

2 Likes

Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 13, 2016
Thanks for the info.
Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by babyfaceafrica: 2:36pm On Jan 13, 2016
If you will get the job ,you will...its not by all this!!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by amicable09(f): 5:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
OP, You have finished our vocab already yet you say we should not use any of these words! Are we supposed to go before our interviewers and start moping like the lady in the attached picture?

La well o!
Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
If you will get the job ,you will...its not by all this!!!!

Bros, it is exactly by this things here oh!!

I lost a job in shell for the singular use of the word 'whatever'. I was trying to find the word to complete a sentence and I said "you can pick option a or use... you know, whatever". If you see the way the interviewer screamed "don't say whatever here!!"
Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by Craven: 5:56pm On Jan 13, 2016
I don't see how the usage of the words 'nervous', 'weakness', and 'mistakes' is regarded as taboo during an interview session.

Anyone who has ever been interviewed knows that two of the most asked question during any session are "Have you ever made mistakes in the past?" and "What are your weaknesses?" - Are we to ignore these questions when we are asked? Or are we supposed to lie, look the interviewer in the eyes, and say "I have never made any mistakes in the past," or "I have no weaknesses."

I'm not sure what you are suggesting we do, but lying about or failing to speak of our weaknesses/mistakes paints us as dishonest, and I'm not sure that is a trait the interviewer is looking for. Because there is no one who has never made a mistake or who doesn't have a weakness, except of course you've decided to pose to your interviewer as Clark Kent.

Being nervous during an interview isn't a pretty sight, but if your interviewer should ask, there's no harm in admitting it. Throw in a smile and make a light joke to ease up the tension. It would make you appealing in the interviewer's eyes. - If you are asked about your weaknesses, do not hesitate to share them and also explain how you are working on them; that's a subtle way of telling your interviewer that you are always looking to improve yourself. - If you are asked about the mistakes you've made, go ahead and speak about them explaining the steps you took in fixing those mistakes; it will show the interviewer that although you are not perfect, you are always willing to right your wrongs and get back on your feet.

Sometimes we need to question and make sense of some of these 'rules' random people come out to share with job seekers. An interview is not a math problem that needs a particular formula for the right answer to be arrived at. An interview is conducted to know the calibre of person the job applicant is. - Is this person honest? Can s/he get back up and running again after they've been kicked to the ground? Can s/he handle tough situations, or will s/he quiver in the face of fear? Will s/he be relentless in getting the job done despite mistakes? - Most of the time, interviewers look for uniqueness in potential employees, not the recycled bullshit you find online or in books. The most important thing for anyone to be during any interview is 'smart and unique'.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by sewzann14(f): 6:13pm On Jan 13, 2016
og2711:

Bros, it is exactly by this things here oh!!
I lost a job in shell for the singular use of the word 'whatever'. I was trying to find the word to complete a sentence and I said "you can pick option a or use... you know, whatever". If you see the way the interviewer screamed "don't say whatever here!!"

i honestly believe you would get a job if it is yours indeed. Yes, these rules do apply but i got a recent job by just smiling and looking cheerful and the recruiter fell in love wiv me (the recruiter is a female actually). I believe when itz ur time and you are in the right place, you would get employed
Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by CharlyNick: 12:17am On Jan 14, 2016
Interesting
Re: Words You Should Never Use At A Job Interview by prettymina(f): 7:09am On Jan 14, 2016
Interesting noted

(1) (Reply)

Apply If You Are Qualified. / Why Do Men Prefer To Help Women Secure A Job, Than Men? / Graduate Recruitment At Primera Food FMCG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.