Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,172 members, 7,973,959 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 11:39 AM

In The Light Of New Evidence - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In The Light Of New Evidence (702 Views)

The Light Of Islam (by An Ex-christian) / Uyi Iredia Sees The Light! Denies the love of Yahweh!! / Barack Obama Gay Sex Scandal New Evidence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In The Light Of New Evidence by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:27am On Jun 19, 2009
I just got my hands on a new book and came up with something that intrigued me here is an excerpt

The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is
unequivocally a scientific question, even if it is not in practice - or
not yet - a decided one. So also is the truth or falsehood of every
one of the miracle stories that religions rely upon to impress multitudes
of the faithful.
Did Jesus have a human father, or was his mother a virgin at the
time of his birth? Whether or not there is enough surviving evidence
to decide it, this is still a strictly scientific question with a definite
answer in principle: yes or no. Did Jesus raise Lazarus from the
dead? Did he himself come alive again, three days after being
crucified? There is an answer to every such question, whether or
not we can discover it in practice, and it is a strictly scientific
answer. The methods we should use to settle the matter, in the
unlikely event that relevant evidence ever became available, would
be purely and entirely scientific methods. To dramatize the point,
imagine, by some remarkable set of circumstances, that forensic
archaeologists unearthed DNA evidence to show that Jesus really
did lack a biological father. Can you imagine religious apologists
shrugging their shoulders and saying anything remotely like the
following? 'Who cares? Scientific evidence is completely irrelevant
to theological questions. Wrong magisterium! We're concerned
only with ultimate questions and with moral values. Neither DNA
nor any other scientific evidence could ever have any bearing on the
matter, one way or the other.'

What would your reaction be in the light of such evidence?
Cheers.
Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by toneyb: 10:18am On Jun 19, 2009
It wouldn't change the beliefs of so many people(Fundamentalist), Even if intelligent life is found in the universe I doubt it will change the beliefs of so many people.
Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by huxley2(m): 10:33am On Jun 19, 2009
Good questions. Is the book The God Delusion?
Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:15pm On Jun 19, 2009
huxley2:

Good questions. Is the book The God Delusion?
Yes it is huxley.
Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by mnwankwo(m): 1:18pm On Jun 19, 2009
While the events or processes that happen in the supernatural worlds cannot be investigated by present scientific methods, supernatural events or processes that imprints itself in our material universe can be investigated scientifically and shown to be true or false. If their is a miraculos cure of an illness, scientific methodsĀ  will not be able to determine the source of the miracle or the supernatural power whose effect is the healing but it can clearly investigate the healing. It can show whether or not a healing has taken place. Any claim of a supernatural event that effects matter or material substance but leaves no material evidence is false. Thus, every case of miraculous healing of the physical body or a process like virgin birth can be scientifically investigated since the miracles were claimed to have taken place in a material substance, the physical body. The only problem that science will have in this case is if the relevant samples are available. Thus if for instance, the physical body of Jesus was discovered, it can be shown with certainty whether or not that body has a biological father.
Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:37pm On Jun 19, 2009
m_nwankwo:

While the events or processes that happen in the supernatural worlds cannot be investigated by present scientific methods, supernatural events or processes that imprints itself in our material universe can be investigated scientifically and shown to be true or false. If their is a miraculos cure of an illness, scientific methodsĀ  will not be able to determine the source of the miracle or the supernatural power whose effect is the healing but it can clearly investigate the healing. It can show whether or not a healing has taken place. Any claim of a supernatural event that effects matter or material substance but leaves no material evidence is false. Thus, every case of miraculous healing of the physical body or a process like virgin birth can be scientifically investigated since the miracles were claimed to have taken place in a material substance, the physical body. The only problem that science will have in this case is if the relevant samples are available. Thus if for instance, the physical body of Jesus was discovered, it can be shown with certainty whether or not that body has a biological father.
Good Afternoon Sir,
A touch of wisdom hits my thread and I am humbled, in this book I am reading the author brought up this issue and referred to an experiment that was undertaken in the united states to show if people were affected by prayer, findings at the end of a well controlled experiment that gulped more than 2 million dollars show no difference between those that were prayed for and those that were not.
My point is that if these miracles were proven by science today to be invalid how would that shake your faith, if we found a way to show Jesus had a biological father how would that shake your faith?
Or would you shrug science off at that point?
Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by mnwankwo(m): 2:01pm On Jun 19, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Good Afternoon Sir,
A touch of wisdom hits my thread and I am humbled, in this book I am reading the author brought up this issue and referred to an experiment that was undertaken in the united states to show if people were affected by prayer, findings at the end of a well controlled experiment that gulped more than 2 million dollars show no difference between those that were prayed for and those that were not.
My point is that if these miracles were proven by science today to be invalid how would that shake your faith, if we found a way to show Jesus had a biological father how would that shake your faith?
Or would you shrug science off at that point?

Hi Chris. Thanks for your kind words. I am aware of that experiment. The ability to heal people is a gift of God given to very few. Thus many who believe that if they pray, people get healed only believe but if the have the ability, they can demonstrate it in many instances as they are guided by God. Thus if a claim is made and no evidence is provided, then the claim is either false or the claimant is ignorant or deluded. Thus for a real experiment, people who have genuine abilitites can be assembled and from a population of patients, such gifted ones should select those that they are guided to and I bet you the result will be different. Not every illness is meant to be cured. Genuine healers do not do trial and error, rather they are under divine guidance. Besides, any genuine healer must colloborate with medical science. Healers who detest medical investigation of their claims have no ability in the first place.
I seek to understand the Truth and thus it is irrelevant to me whether it comes form science or spirituality. Thus if what I believe to be true is conclusively shown to be wrong, then I will discard what I formerly believed, and accept the Truth. But even though it may sound arrogant, their is nothing that will contradict my core spiritual convictions because they are derived from the Truth. Thus science can only provide material confirmation for what I already know with my spirit. For instance, I do not believe that virgin birth in humans is possible even for Jesus, the son of God. Virgin birth in humans in my sensing is both a scientific and spiritual impossibility. Thus if tomorrow science finds out that Jesus has a biological father, that only confirms what I already know. Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: In The Light Of New Evidence by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:26pm On Jun 19, 2009
m_nwankwo:

Hi Chris. Thanks for your kind words. I am aware of that experiment. The ability to heal people is a gift of God given to very few. Thus many who believe that if they pray, people get healed only believe but if the have the ability, they can demonstrate it in many instances as they are guided by God. Thus if a claim is made and no evidence is provided, then the claim is either false or the claimant is ignorant or deluded. Thus for a real experiment, people who have genuine abilitites can be assembled and from a population of patients, such gifted ones should select those that they are guided to and I bet you the result will be different. Not every illness is meant to be cured. Genuine healers do not do trial and error, rather they are under divine guidance. Besides, any genuine healer must colloborate with medical science. Healers who detest medical investigation of their claims have no ability in the first place.
I seek to understand the Truth and thus it is irrelevant to me whether it comes form science or spirituality. Thus if what I believe to be true is conclusively shown to be wrong, then I will discard what I formerly believed, and accept the Truth. But even though it may sound arrogant, their is nothing that will contradict my core spiritual convictions because they are derived from the Truth. Thus science can only provide material confirmation for what I already know with my spirit. For instance, I do not believe that virgin birth in humans is possible even for Jesus, the son of God. Virgin birth in humans in my sensing is both a scientific and spiritual impossibility. Thus if tomorrow science finds out that Jesus has a biological father, that only confirms what I already know. Stay blessed.
I could not have said this any clearer about miracles and virgin birth, it would be nice if people saw things this way. Now if every christian would examine biblical stories that way.
Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

How To View The World / Live On The Joy Of Today / You Are Invited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.