Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:52 PM

Why Did We Change From POUNDS To NAIRA - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Did We Change From POUNDS To NAIRA (860 Views)

Can I Change From Medlab To Radiography / Cation This Picture-how Did We Get To This Level? / Caption This Picture-how Did We Get To This Level? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Did We Change From POUNDS To NAIRA by kolacost: 5:25pm On Jan 13, 2016
I was reading some articles while carrying out some research and I observed Nigeria changed from Pounds to Naira on January 1st 1973.
I now kept wondering why they changed it. I remember my grandma always calls pounds- kpon... Which means 2pounds = kpon méjì.

The bottom line of my confusion is "please what is the meaning of Naira and Kobo?" where did these words originate from? Which languages are they? And why did Nigeria choose Naira self?

Me wey like pounds and dollars
Re: Why Did We Change From POUNDS To NAIRA by snezBaba: 5:30pm On Jan 13, 2016
Re: Why Did We Change From POUNDS To NAIRA by ehinmowo: 6:45pm On Jan 13, 2016
I understand d rationale behind changing pound. what I don't understand is d origin of naira and kobo

(1) (Reply)

SAP SCM Online Training In Boston|brazil / Reliable Ways Of Getting Admitted Into The UNIVERSITY Other Than JAMB- HELP / Futa Direct Entry Aspirant 2016/2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.