Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,157 members, 7,949,975 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 03:49 AM

5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos (1828 Views)

Graphic Photos: Boko Haram Members Killed As Military Clears More Of Their Camps / Car Conveying Family Of 4 Plunges Into River / 5 Killed At Alaba International Market This Afternoon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by Recognise: 9:48am On Jun 21, 2009
Naija! and these lawless <blank> okada operatives sef [img]http:///d3tnru[/img]
The LG should be sued for negligence and for flouting Public Health & Safety procedures
Sad! Sad!! Very sad!!! . . . [img]http:///d3tnru[/img]

[size=16pt]5 Killed As Molue Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos[/size]

Five people were feared dead, with several others sustaining different degrees of injuries, in Lagos on Friday morning, when a 911 Mercedes Benz Bus, popularly known as Molue crashed into a ditch near Ajayi Farm Bus Stop along the Oshodi-Abule Egba Expressway.

[center][img width=500 height=500]http://www.tribune.com.ng/sat/20062009/images/fp.jpg[/img]
1st photo above - Sympathisers trying to rescue trapped passengers
2nd photo - a woman rescued from the scene
[/center]
The driver of the vehicle, in an attempt to avoid crushing a commercial motorcylist popularly known as Okada, was reported to have lost control and plunged into a nearby ditch which is currently being dug by the state government.

One of the female passengers in the Molue, who jumped out from the window of the rickety vehicle, was seriously injured and rescued by some passers-by.

Other sympathisers wailed endlessly as some passengers, still trapped in the wreckage, cried for help.

Many individuals and policemen, who rushed to the scene of the accident, made frantic efforts to mobilise other government agencies for rescue operation.

However, at a stage, some of the passers-by, who made the series of telephone calls, became furious, following the delay in officials of such agencies to respond quickly to the distress calls to their offices.

As at midday when Saturday Tribune visited the scene, a combined team of the men of the Nigeria Police and Lagos State Traffic Management (LASTMA) were still evacuating the accident victims to a nearby hospital, while the bodies of those dead in the incident were being taken to the mortuary.

A resident, who is also a mechanic in the area, while berating the slow response of the authorities to the accident, said “Despite the fact that the accident occurred around 10:00 a.m., assistance was still short coming to victims of the accident as at 11:00 a.m.

Reprieve, however, came the way of the injured when some commercial buses were chartered to move them to the hospital.

for SOURCE: Click here
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:23am On Jun 21, 2009
how sad sad
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by presido1: 10:26am On Jun 21, 2009
When will Fash ban all these molue and okada riders.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by Recognise: 10:53am On Jun 21, 2009
Presido1:

When will Fash ban all these molue and okada riders.

[size=16pt]@^[/size]

Its not just a matter of banning molues or okada alone

What about responsibilities, expected state duty, state obligations? . . .

Did yall not notice the below excerpt from the report

[center]". . . reported to have lost control and plunged into a nearby ditch
which is currently being dug by the state government"
[/center]
The LG (i.e. Local government) or is it the state government (i.e. Lagos state - Fashola)

should be held liable for leaving ditches in such manner as they presently are.

[img]http:///d9pj8j[/img] [img]http:///d9pj8j[/img] What's the point of beautifications when the citizens are in constant jeopardy

Its beggars belief how on a daily basis, the citizens not only in Lagos but the whole country at large

are exposed to preventable and/or unneccesary death, loss, injury, hazard, danger etc  . . . Pathetic!
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 12:58pm On Jun 21, 2009
When people refuse to move and develop with time. Shi.t like this happens. smiley To be brutally honest, I have little or no sympathy for anyone of them.

Simple things that could have avoided this is as follows:

Seat belt - We recently bought a ford transit bus from here that is meant for Nigeria. The thing I noticed is how ever one of the 15 seat have a seat belt fitted as standard. I mean, how hard would it be to enforce people to use seat belt?

Qualified drivers only - How many drivers on Nigeria's road would take  British driving test and actually pass? It is ironic that British roads are well paved and tarred, yet they have a rigourous driving test one have to pass before becoming a qualified and licensed driver. Yet on contrast, Nigeria's road network is nothing to write home about, but we have millions of unsuitable cars and unqualified drivers.  It is disgusting that with the right price, one can obtain a drivers licence in Nigeria without even sitting a test.

For me the last option is the most important as it would help people to be road aware etc. It is scary how people drive on Nigeria's road like they have a spare life in a savings account somewhere.

As far as am concerned, until we elevate our thinking and what not, these sort of news would be a regular occurrence.

PS
While the govt. may not ban these sort of vehicles outright, at least they can have "Speedometer restriction" on them. I.e restricted to something like 50km per hour. This action alone would go a long way to help reduce incidence like this.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by chidichris(m): 1:04pm On Jun 21, 2009
govt self. no rescue. may God help us
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 1:09pm On Jun 21, 2009
chidichris:

govt self. no rescue. may God help us

One of the parameters to judge a civilised nation is how well it caters for her citizen. Or how basic care are provided. I suppose this leaves lot to be desired.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by Abuzola(m): 1:13pm On Jun 21, 2009
This happen near my area , atleast 27 people were reported dead and it was a Road safety that pursue the moluwe which made it to fall in a ditch at ILE ZIK near ajayi farm
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 1:15pm On Jun 21, 2009
Abuzola:

This happen near my area , atleast 27 people were reported dead and it was a Road safety that pursue the moluwe which made it to fall in a ditch at ILE ZIK near ajayi farm

If this is true, what was the driver thinking? How do you outrun a Road Safety officer in one of those things? shocked Unless off course, these officers are on foot or something.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by presido1: 1:21pm On Jun 21, 2009
ElRazur:

Seat belt - We recently bought a ford transit bus from here that is meant for Nigeria. The thing I noticed is how ever one of the 15 seat have a seat belt fitted as standard. I mean, how hard would it be to enforce people to use seat belt?
Another accident prone ford on its way to Nigeria. You are preaching road safety yet you are sending a RHD commuter bus to a LHD country.

Dude if you enforce seat belt in molue how about the standing passengers? Standing belt i presume. tongue tongue tongue Those death traps need to be banned from Nigerian roads. Seat belt wun't solve anything inside molue.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2009
Lol. grin

See this is the precise mentality one is most likely to face in Naija - Not saying that is your mentality in any way.

It appears we would take profit over simple common sense that would save loads of lives. If there is a seat belt on board, at least those people would be strapped to the sit when there is accident [thereby help reducing internal stress and damage, AND reduces bones breaking etc.] The passengers standing are on the other hand are accident prone.

In the UK, a public vehicle with passengers standing on board have limited speed. While those with seat belts have no room for standing passenger by law. I think we can learn from the UK, after all they invented the seat belt [if memory serves me right]
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2009
presido1:

Dude if you enforce seat belt in molue how about the standing passengers? Standing belt i presume. tongue tongue tongue  T[b]hose death traps need to be banned from Nigerian roads. Seat belt wun't solve anything inside molue.[/b]

GBAM!!!
That is exactly what needs to be done
Molues need to be gathered off the roads and collectively crushed
The recycled products can be used to make brand new peak milk tins and cooking pots! tongue
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by DisGuy: 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2009
ElRazur:

When people refuse to move and develop with time. Shi.t like this happens. smiley To be brutally honest, I have little or no sympathy for anyone of them.

Simple things that could have avoided this is as follows:

Qualified drivers only
- How many drivers on Nigeria's road would take  British driving test and actually pass? It is ironic that British roads are well paved and tarred, yet they have a rigourous driving test one have to pass before becoming a qualified and licensed driver. Yet on contrast, Nigeria's road network is nothing to write home about, but we have millions of unsuitable cars and unqualified drivers.  It is disgusting that with the right price, one can obtain a drivers licence in Nigeria without even sitting a test.

For me the last option is the most important as it would help people to be road aware etc. It is scary how people drive on Nigeria's road like they have a spare life in a savings account somewhere.

As far as am concerned, until we elevate our thinking and what not, these sort of news would be a regular occurrence.

PS
While the govt. may not ban these sort of vehicles outright, at least they can have "Speedometer restriction" on them. I.e restricted to something like 50km per hour. This action alone would go a long way to help reduce incidence like this.

Hold it.  .  .

which of the two things youve highlighted is the responsibility of the poor passengers?
is it the passenger that is meant to check the driver is qualified?
are the passengers responsible for enforcing seat belts?

these are govt responsibilities and citizens are paying the price with their lives!
the government banned cars over ten years would anyone in their right mind
import cars over ten years into the country? No
if the govt bans buses with no seat belts these sort of deaths can be reduced or avoided
if the government arrest commercial drivers that have not passed a heavy vehicle assessment test
these sort of accidents can be reduced!
as things are all you have to do is pay to get a drivers license in nigeria no test nothing just your money!

the govt continues to fail generations of its citizens!
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by MrCrackles(m): 1:38pm On Jun 21, 2009
presido1:

Another accident prone ford on its way to Nigeria. You are preaching road safety yet you are sending a RHD commuter bus to a LHD country.
Dude if you enforce seat belt in molue how about the standing passengers? Standing belt i presume. tongue tongue tongue

grin cheesy grin
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by DisGuy: 1:43pm On Jun 21, 2009
ElRazur:

If this is true, what was the driver thinking? How do you outrun a Road Safety officer in one of those things?  shocked Unless off course, these officers are on foot or something.

actually the sanity of the FRSC should be caled into question lagos is not exactly somalia, and its not like molues operate outside lagos,
why cant they just get the picture or registration number of the molue- either wait  to see it another day, trace it to the registered address
is it really sensible to chase a heavy bus in a congested city like Lagos with bad roads and very high pedestrians

is the frsc not the same as lastma
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2009
Dis Guy:

Hold it.  .  .

which of the two things youve highlighted is the responsibility of the poor passengers?
is it the passenger that is meant to check the driver is qualified?
are the passengers responsible for enforcing seat belts?

Out of anger of hearing, seeing and witnessing these sort of things. I have no sympathy smiley

Dis Guy:

actually the sanity of the FRSC should be caled into question lagos is not exactly somalia, and its not like molues operate outside lagos,
why cant they just get the picture or registration number of the molue- either wait  to see it another day, trace it to the registered address
is it really sensible to chase a heavy bus in a congested city like Lagos with bad roads and very high pedestrians

is the frsc not the same as lastma

IN the UK, failing to stop when asked to do so by a man/officer representing the law is actually a criminal offence. I would think, Nigeria have similar laws. If he had stopped, perhaps these could have been averted?

As for tracing the address, Nigeria's system is not as advanced like we would all like. Some of these cars have been on the road for like 20years or so, way before the advent of using a simplified data base of registered owners in Nigeria.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by presido1: 2:01pm On Jun 21, 2009
ElRazur:

In the UK, a public vehicle with passengers standing on board have limited speed. While those with seat belts have no room for standing passenger by law. I think we can learn from the UK, after all they invented the seat belt [if memory serves me right]
How many public vehicle in UK have seat belt? I mean all those TFL buses that covers the same distance like molues in Lagos. The only public vehicle that enforce seat belt in UK are those that go intra-city like National Express and other coaches that runs on hire. Even the white van drivers that do drop off are not enforced to put on seat belt.

Seat Belt is not the solution as far as molue is concerned. Curbing reckless driving, drink driving, Goad roads, qualified drivers will go a long way is reducing the number of accidents in lagos roads.

This kind of accident is what you get when your transportion is being managed by Agberos. I say ban ban ban all those molues and bring in more BRT buses.

Limiting the speed is another good thing but who will enforce it, Nobody!.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 2:10pm On Jun 21, 2009
presido1:

How many public vehicle in UK have seat belt? I mean all those TFL buses that covers the same distance like molues in Lagos. The only public vehicle that enforce seat belt in UK are those that go intra-city like National Express and other coaches that runs on hire. Even the white van drivers that do drop off are not enforced to put on seat belt.

Let us be fair shall we. The TFL buses have restriction on them, hence the lack of seat belts.

White van drivers are bound by law to wear their seat belts. No excuse. Unless of course there is something I am not aware of.

Seat Belt is not the solution as far as molue is concerned. Curbing reckless driving, drink driving, Goad roads, qualified drivers will go a long way is reducing the number of accidents in lagos roads.

I agree. My approach was a simple one that can be easily checked by officers etc. It is more visible to see if a seat belt is on, than trying to catch if a driver is under the influence.

This kind of accident is what you get when your transportion is being managed by Agberos. I say ban ban ban all those molues and bring in more BRT buses.
Again I agree to some extent. An outright ban won't work, it would almost collapse the transport network in somewhere like Lagos and other commercial cities. A gradual phasing out may be a better option. Which can be achieved via bringing in other alternatives like you mentioned.

Limiting the speed is another good thing but who will enforce it, Nobody!.

It can be easily fitted on any car. Japanese cars comes with them - My FTO I bought directly from japan, years back was restricted to 105mph or so, even though it is capable of speeds in excess of 140ish plus mph. In fact, Japanses have all their cars restricted to 105mph.

Remember the new Nissan GTR? It is restricted electronically to that speed as well even though it can reach speeds close to 200mph. However, the electronic restrictions turns it self off, once you are on a race course. Not to digress, but the point is that it could be easily fitted on existing cars.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by chidichris(m): 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2009
Out of anger of hearing, seeing and witnessing these sort of things.  I have no sympathy

@ElRazur,
who are u angry with? the dead passangers? the driver or the frsc? or are u angry with the govt of the country for not providing adquate resqcue facilities?
or could it be that you are angry with those of us here who happens to be nigerians which is not by choice?

@topic,
may the soul of those who lost their lives in the incidents rest in peace.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by DisGuy: 2:15pm On Jun 21, 2009
ElRazur:

Out of anger of hearing, seeing and witnessing these sort of things.  I have no sympathy smiley

I[b]N the UK, failing to stop when asked to do so by a man/officer representing the law is actually a criminal offence. I would think, Nigeria have similar laws. If he had stopped, perhaps these could have been averted?
[/b]
As for tracing the address, Nigeria's system is not as advanced like we would all like. Some of these cars have been on the road for like 20years or so, way before the advent of using a simplified data base of registered owners in Nigeria.

Yes it is but you'll notice unlike the US, they call off car chase when lives are at risk, they turn to technology, CCTV, car registration address or just put it on the file for another day and then add it to your profile.

if the cars are without address chances of spotting it at a later date is even higher, they usually ply the same route. a picture of the driver, distinct dent on the car would have been enough. and with all the money they are collecting as fines, mandating all commercial vehicles in the state to register within six months wont be a big problem. leader are just not creative imagine the amount of people that can be employed inputting car reg/insurance/tax data into the system in the whole country so many avenues to generate money and create employment very incompetent frsc people! they just wear uniform feeling powerful in the scorching heat!
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 2:16pm On Jun 21, 2009
chidichris:

@ElRazur,
who are u angry with? the dead passangers? the driver or the frsc? or are u angry with the govt of the country for not providing adquate resqcue facilities?
or could it be that you are angry with those of us here who happens to be nigerians which is not by choice?

Trying to make me shift my position wont work am afraid. My anger is about everything Nigeria stands for. My anger is born out of frustration and what appears to be a lack of progress in most places.  smiley

Remember the people voted the same govt into power etc.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 2:21pm On Jun 21, 2009
Dis Guy:

Yes it is but you'll notice unlike the US, they call off car chase when lives are at risk, they turn to technology, CCTV, car registration address or just put it on the file for another day and then add it to your profile.

Agreed. But then this is Nigeria, where nothing is impossible, especially on a negative side. Like I said before, the driver should have stopped instead of trying to get away from them. I am sure he probably knows that these folks are like pack of Hyenas and would not stop until what they get whatever they are after.

if the cars are without address chances of spotting it at a later date is even higher, they usually ply the same route. a picture of the driver, distinct dent on the car would have been enough. and with all the money they are collecting as fines, mandating all commercial vehicles in the state to register within six months wont be a big problem. leader are just not creative imagine the amount of people that can be employed inputting car reg/insurance/tax data into the system in the whole country so many avenues to generate money and create employment very incompetent frsc people! they just wear uniform feeling powerful in the scorching heat!

While I see your point, these are some of the many things that frustrate me about Nigeria, and people wonder why some of us are angry. smiley
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by presido1: 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2009
ElRazur:

I agree. My approach was a simple one that can be easily checked by officers etc. It is more visible to see if a seat belt is on, than trying to catch if a driver is under the influence.
Dude its more easy to check if the driver is under the influence of alcohol than to check every passenger for seat belt inside a molue and more over seat belt can never work in molue unless you are talking another kind of molue that am not aware of. How can you enforce seat belt in a situation where 30 passengers gets off and another comes in every 5-10 minutes. Again no where in this world you will see seat belt in such commuter buses like molue or TFL. We have to prevent the accident from happening first and we can only do that through the driver and govt(Gud road).

Speed limit is the only thing you can get.

White van drivers are bound by law to wear their seat belts. No excuse. Unless of course there is something I am not aware of.
They are not, when you see one stop him and ask.

Again I agree to some extent. An outright ban won't work, it would almost collapse the transport network in somewhere like Lagos and other commercial cities. A gradual phasing out may be a better option. Which can be achieved via bringing in other alternatives like you mentioned.
When i say ban i don't mean to stop them from tomorrow or next week. Give them like 6 months to 1 year to take those death traps out of the road.

Oboy must you quote UK in every of your post?
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by Abuzola(m): 2:31pm On Jun 21, 2009
The frsc absconded when they realised what they have caused, but their plate number has been by pedestrian. We hope fashola will bring them to justice
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by dedeike: 2:35pm On Jun 21, 2009
@chidichris
dont say govt of the country.be specific .its fashola's govt. the  problem with nigerians is that we  tend to overhype the opposition and underate the ruling party. tell me why molue has not been banned in Lagos. tell me what such open ditches are doing on a major road in Lagos.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 2:43pm On Jun 21, 2009
presido1:

Dude its more easy to check if the driver is under the influence of alcohol than to check every passenger for seat belt inside a molue and more over seat belt can never work in molue unless you are talking another kind of molue that am not aware of. How can you enforce seat belt in a situation where 30 passengers gets off and another comes in every 5-10 minutes. Again no where in this world you will see seat belt in such commuter buses like molue or TFL. We have to prevent the accident from happening first and we can only do that through the driver and govt(Gud road).

Oga I see you point. And I have to agree as it won't be practical. However a speed reduction comes to mind. smiley

They are not, when you see one stop him and ask.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022064

The law requires that drivers and passengers aged 14 and over in cars, vans and other commercial vehicles must wear a seatbelt if available. As a driver you are responsible for ensuring that anyone under the age of 14 wears a seat belt or use an appropriate child restraint as required in the regulations

I rest my case.

Oboy must you quote UK in every of your post?

Lol. It annoys me that these folks over here do not have two heads or multiple brains, I see no reason why we cannot achieve the same thing. But once I look back on how we have sometimes held ourselves back from developing the anger, frustration and lack of sympathy kicks in again lol.

I made reference to the UK because, here is where I stay and I believe that if we have to better ourselves, we need to compare or at least learn from a "better place" . . so to speak.

[quote][/quote]
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:30pm On Jun 21, 2009
MrCrackles:

GBAM!!!
Molue's need to be gathered off the roads and collectively crushed
The recycled products can be used to make brand new peak milk tins and cooking pots! tongue

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ifyalways(f): 5:33pm On Jun 21, 2009
MrCrackles:

GBAM!!!
Molues need to be gathered off the roads and collectively crushed

rofl
@topic,sad story.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by kaypumpin2(m): 8:30pm On Jun 21, 2009
FRSC chase Molue?Not in this life time.FRSC chases and deal with bigger fishes that drive bigger cars.

I am extremely sure it has to be those gendarmes in uniform called LASTMA.

That said,when will they phase out these coffins called molue,there is nothing safe about it.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by chidichris(m): 8:39pm On Jun 21, 2009
Remember the people voted the same govt into power etc.

@ElRazur,
i can take everything u have said here but not this comment above.
were u there when nigerians vote them into power?
these are millitary civilains who seized power by force and have decided to rule over us even without our consent.
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by IKEYMAN1: 9:08pm On Jun 21, 2009
[size=20pt]blame it on kano-lagos rail nonesense[/size]

the ball is on your court
Re: 5 Killed As MOLUE Plunges Into Ditch In Lagos by ElRazur: 10:09pm On Jun 21, 2009
chidichris:

@ElRazur,
i can take everything u have said here but not this comment above.
were u there when nigerians vote them into power?
these are millitary civilains who seized power by force and have decided to rule over us even without our consent.

But depending on how you look at it. Democracy is in nigeria, the present and pasr leader where picked by a system of what we called democracy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Babangida? / The Nigerian Nation Against Gen. Buhari By Wole Soyinka / Nigerians Must See The Consequences Of What They've Voted For Says Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.