Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,089 members, 7,916,169 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 04:55 PM

How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions (1163 Views)

Groom Crying On His Wedding, What May Be Wrong? / My 1st Daughter Saw Her 1st Period Today & She’s Been Crying All Day - Doctor / 3 Days After Our Wedding, My Wife Can't Stop Crying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 11:50am On Jan 16, 2016
Hello friend today i decided to give this write up to my fellow internet researchers
* i was in the village this december that just past i.e 2015 and my grand ma told me to slice onion and while slicing them i started crying for no reason

After doing some research i found out that the onion releases some harmfull gas to the air within that is in a way dangerous to the eye .. And the tears comming out of the eye is a way of removing excess of the gas....

So after some time my granny told me to take in a little bit of salt, so i did and to my suprise it subsided

After some reasoning of what just happened i found out that why the tears reduced was because the salt i took in , added a minute amount of 0.001% of saltiness to my eye fluid causing a over saturated solvent[tears] to the solute[onion gas]

So all i am trying to hit at is those ladies that cry in the kitchen while cutting onion ''say bye bye to tears'' because if you just take in a little bit of salt it is gone

do not take in a spoon full of salt as seen in the image above, because if you do that i am not to be held responsible.

Salt is the vaccine

Cc:lalaticlala

Source: www.expocreek.com/forum2_theme_111988125.xhtml&tema=69
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by TRADELYN: 11:56am On Jan 16, 2016
Interesting! grin
Thanks for sharing. tongue
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by divinehand2003(m): 12:00pm On Jan 16, 2016
Salt is the answer to the crying wahala
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by YorubaWoman: 12:01pm On Jan 16, 2016
So I can easily grind pepper on stone instead of blending now.

Thankiusmiley
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jan 16, 2016
YorubaWoman:
So I can easily grind pepper on stone instead of blending now.

Thankiusmiley
my pleasure

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 16, 2016
divinehand2003:
Salt is the answer to the crying wahala
yhur welcome
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 12:05pm On Jan 16, 2016
TRADELYN:
Interesting! grin Thanks for sharing. tongue
you are welcome

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Richy4(m): 12:14pm On Jan 16, 2016
If you wanna cook next time, just put the onion you want to cut in the fridge.... you will not shade any tears or take salt while cutting

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 16, 2016
That was a good read op.

Also learnt you can put it in a fridge just before use. They say a cold onion wouldnt make you 'cry'. I've never tried this though. I simply grab the onion(s), slice, cry, stop crying, cook, and move on with my life when I'm done.

grin
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
Richy4:
If you wanna cook next time, just put the onion you want to cut in the fridge.... you will not shade any tears or take salt while cutting

Oh, I just saw this above my post suggesting same. I guess the fridge thing works then.
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 16, 2016
Gaborone:
That was a good read op.

Also learnt you can put it in a fridge just before use. They say a cold onion wouldnt make you 'cry'. I've never tried this though. I simply grab the onion(s), slice, cry, stop crying, cook, and move on with my live when I'm done.

grin
lol

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Richy4(m): 2:09pm On Jan 16, 2016
Gaborone:

Oh, I just saw this above my post suggesting same. I guess the fridge thing works then.

yea.. I have tried it many times and it worked.... The only problem I got was just remembering putting it in the fridge..... I usually forget.. hence I still shade some tears any time I feel like cutting an onion to cooking.... smiley
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jan 16, 2016
Richy4:

yea.. I have tried it many times and it worked.... The only problem I got was just remembering putting it in the fridge..... I usually forget.. hence I still shade some tears any time I feel like cutting an onion to cooking.... smiley

At least, you've tried it at all. lol.
Perhaps the confirmation will inspire me to try it out.

cheesy
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Onegai(f): 3:20pm On Jan 16, 2016
Putting it in a fridge or running the onion under cold tap water. No tears method.
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by JonTal: 4:15pm On Jan 16, 2016
The onion should be in the fridge for how long, @Gaborone and @Richy?
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by blessedfavoured: 4:16pm On Jan 16, 2016
Lol that tap water doesn't work all the time. Some onions are stubborn.

The help puts the first layer of skin in her mouth, and it works for her. Never tried it though.

I'll try the salt and fridge tips today!
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jan 16, 2016
JonTal:
The onion should be in the fridge for how long, @Gaborone and @Richy?

JonTal, I guess long enough to make it cold. Richy4 would know better though...he's the one who's actually tried it.
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by JonTal: 5:27pm On Jan 16, 2016
Gaborone:

JonTal, I guess long enough to make it cold. Richy4 would know better though...he's the one who's actually tried it.

Okey dokey. Thank you

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by uniquezahoda: 6:19pm On Jan 16, 2016
why will you destroy your eyes,just make sure you cut it under running tap water! or get a bowl of water,cut the onions inside and that's all.
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by Pidggin(f): 7:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
Just soak the onions inside a bowl of water
Re: How To Stop Crying When Peeling Onions by YourCoffin: 8:10pm On Jan 16, 2016
The solution is simple: don't cook with onions.
I've often wondered what's the work of onions in food?

(1) (Reply)

Same-self Marriage (sologamy): The New Marriage Perversion Trend? / Please Advice!! Her Mom Is Rich But Won't Help Her Financially. (screenshot) / Ibo/yoruba Marriage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.