Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,023 members, 7,919,249 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 03:58 AM

I Was Offered $200,000 To Lose A Match In 2007 “ Says Novak Djokovic” | See Who - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Was Offered $200,000 To Lose A Match In 2007 “ Says Novak Djokovic” | See Who (493 Views)

FIFA And CAF Investigating Nigeria-zambia Match In Uyo / Mourinho Gives Marcos Rojo Banana During A Match (Photos) / Marco Kwiotek Arrested For Conceding 43 Goals In A Match (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Was Offered $200,000 To Lose A Match In 2007 “ Says Novak Djokovic” | See Who by emperor1love: 11:09am On Jan 19, 2016
Back in 2007, someone tried to offer Novak Djokovic roughly $200,000 to lose a first-round match at a tournament in St. Petersburg, Russia,

“He said”

Monday at the Australian Open.

“Djokovic said he wasn’t approached directly. Instead, “I was approached through people that were working with me at that time…”

He said”

Making clear that the offer was flat-out rejected. He didn’t even attend the tournament, but he said he still didn’t like the fact that someone even bothered to consider him for such a thing.

“It made me feel terrible because I don’t want to be anyhow linked to this kind of *you know, somebody may call it an opportunity,”

“ He said”

. . .For me, that’s an act of unsportsmanship, a crime in sport honestly. I don’t support it. I think there is no room for it in any sport, especially in tennis.”

A number of players reacted to the BuzzFeed/BBC report that says there has been widespread match-fixing in men’s tennis and that authorities in the sport ignored it. The report did not name players because a direct link to betting could not be proved, but it said there is a core group of 16 suspected men who have been ranked in the top 50, including a US Open champion, involved.

“I would love to hear names,” Roger Federer said. “Then at least it’s concrete stuff and you can actually debate about it. Was it the player? Was it the support team? Who was it? Was it before? Was it a doubles player, a singles player?

Which slam? It’s so all over the place. It’s nonsense to answer something that is pure speculation. Like I said, it’s super serious and it’s super important to maintain the integrity of our sport. So how high up does it go?””While Federer questioned how many new developments were in the story ** much of it is about the 2007 match scandal involving Nikolay Davydenko and Martin Vassallo Arguello |

“ He said”

He hopes this will put more pressure on the governing bodies to take such things seriously. “

. . .Hopefully there’s more funding to it,” he said. “Same as doping. Yes, absolutely, got to be super aggressive in both areas.”

Djokovic said there were rumors
read more
http://www.bookspen.com/2016/01/18/i-was-offered-200000-to-lose-a-match-in-2007-says-novak-djokovic-see-who-offered/

Re: I Was Offered $200,000 To Lose A Match In 2007 “ Says Novak Djokovic” | See Who by amiskurie(m): 11:12am On Jan 19, 2016
Before reading,I am suspecting Raphael Nadal.
Re: I Was Offered $200,000 To Lose A Match In 2007 “ Says Novak Djokovic” | See Who by geesilver(m): 11:24am On Jan 19, 2016
sport and betting are like women and money

(1) (Reply)

EPL Match: Arsenal Vs Chelsea(london Derby) / Mr Ibu Live Right Now On 88.9 Brila Fm / Leo Messi Beats Ronaldo And Buys A Car Worth €32 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.