Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,790 members, 7,938,366 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 01:08 AM

Is This Self Praise Or What? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This Self Praise Or What? (1699 Views)

Ministerial Screening: Nigerians Praise Ocholi’s Performance On Twitter / Buhari Showers Praise On Jonathan / Praise Or Criticise Ur Governor Vs Development In Ur State, With Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Self Praise Or What? by Ijawman(m): 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2009
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/letters/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=230609&ptitle=Not every Nigerian is a fraudster

Not every Nigerian is a fraudster

SIR: I am writing to bring to your notice that many Nigerians are working hard to uplift the image of our country. Recently, I set a record at Osgoode Hall Law School, Canada as the first Ph.D student in the history of the law school to complete the Osgoode doctoral programme in less than three years. I have been informed there will be an official recognition and award from the university on the convocation day (June 24, 2009) for achieving this outstanding feat.

A brief profile about me is that I graduated from Enugu State University of Science and Technology in 1998. I came out with Second Class (Honours) Upper Division; and also made the overall best result at the Faculty of Law of the University. I proceeded to the Nigerian Law School, Abuja in 1999 and was called to the Nigeria Bar in 2000. At Law School we were only 15 students out of about 4,500 students that made second class (Honours) Upper Division after the May 2000 Nigerian Law School's Bar finals. Immediately, after my NYSC in 2001-2002, I secured a full-funded Dalhousie Graduate scholarship from Dalhousie University, Canada for an LL.M programme. I completed the LL.M programme in 10 months (from September 2002-July 2003). Subsequently, I worked for two years before commencing my Ph.D programme in September 2006.

My case is that it will be nice if you help publish my achievements at Osgoode Hall Law School in your newspaper to remind many who think that the name Nigeria is synonymous with fraud that they are completely wrong. Many of us are working hard in our little ways to give our country a good name.

I am hoping you will help get this information out there because it is a very big thing here. For your information, Osgoode was founded in 1889 and later got affiliated to York University in 1968. You can do your own research about the history and antecedents of the Law School. Throughout the history of the Law School, a Nigerian happens to be the first person ever to complete the Osgoode's doctoral programme in less than three years. I think we Nigerians should be proud of this and not just to bemoan our fate whenever it is reported that some of our citizens are caught up in crime. For me, I am tired of negative news about Nigeria. Let us get some positive news out there.

Jirinwayo Odinkonigbo,
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Ijawman(m): 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2009
Is there no other way to pass the message across without this RAW self indulgence?
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by DeepSoul(f): 3:55pm On Jun 23, 2009
Lol@Raw

This is a strange form of patriotism sha,
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by tpiah: 3:58pm On Jun 23, 2009
Jirinwayo Odinkonigbo na im name?
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Afam(m): 4:00pm On Jun 23, 2009
Considering the title of the guy's piece "Not every Nigerian is a fraudster" then he has not done anything wrong and has every reason to highlight his achievement considering the fact that negative news about Nigeria spread so fast every where.
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by tpiah: 4:03pm On Jun 23, 2009
I think its a joke because wayo means fraud.

Does it have another meaning in some other language?
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Ijawman(m): 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2009
That sounds like an Ibo name. I think Nwayo means easy or softly in Ibo? I will google up the name and se what I get.
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by tpiah: 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2009
you're right. (doesnt mean we like each other though).

I forgot about Nwayo. Thought someone was pulling a fast one.
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Tudor6(f): 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2009
The image of nigerians abroad is that of dull and stupid fraudsters incapable of academic excellence or any other positive endeavour. . .
To that effect the guy was actually justified in stating his achievments. . .
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 23, 2009
For sure, blind patriotic nigerians are bound to play down the achievements of the dude simply because of where he comes from.

Jiri = Take/handle
nwayo = easy.
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Ijawman(m): 7:58pm On Jun 23, 2009
http://www.osgoode.yorku.ca/glsa/2007conference/2007_schedule.html

Now, is Osgoode the best law school in the world? If not, has the author gone to other law schools to check the performance and promptness of Nigerian students there? Anyways, I realize he is talking about Osgoode. To that extent, I give it to him.
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Ijawman(m): 8:00pm On Jun 23, 2009
I see that the guy has been blogging himself on cyber. Good luck Nwayo grin grin
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by kiwi992(m): 8:31pm On Jun 23, 2009
Hi,

Tudór:

The image of nigerians abroad is that of dull and stupid fraudsters incapable of academic excellence or any other positive endeavour. . .
To that effect the guy was actually justified in stating his achievments. . .

Na-a man, I totally disagree.

Nigerians are known all over the world to be highly intelligent people - more than anyone else out there, if you ask me.  That said, our people are also known to be fraudsters as well - the sad fact that they use their natural intelligence to defraud others.

Good on the guy but Nigerians are extremely smart people, so, I'm not surprised.

kiwi992.
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by vigasimple(m): 8:46pm On Jun 23, 2009
If our 'leaders' including the President are mediocare, anybody can feel justified to 'celebrate' or publish their achievement.

The gentleman or lady in question may think he has done very well, yes he has and we  should commend him BUT unfortunately the LEADERSHIP  in this country who are suppossed to be the leader , ambassador, and role model upon which the world assess us are CERTIFIED FRAUDSTERS.

The majority of our leader actually have a PHD in FRAUD, whether it is election fraud since that is how they got into office or their performance which is stealing monies from national treasury on minute by minute basis, and most importantly THEY DONT HAVE SHAME. They store this money in foreign countries while their people are hungry.

I don't know how old is the guy BUT is making more mockery of himself. Nobody is saying that all Nigerians are fraudster but majority of 'our leaders' are. That is a fact, and you can take that to the bank and cash it. So when leaders are thieves, then unjustifiable as it may seems, the outside world takes the followers to follow such example. And again a lot of Nigerians abroad want share of national cake.

If on the other hand you have been paid by PDP govt led by
YAR A'DO NOTHING to help Madam Nafdac to rebranding you have not succeded, YAR A'LIAR and his people should rebrand themselves first, the Nigeria will automatically rebrand. Rememebr IDIAGBON on war against indiscpline.

They should stop election fraud and thugerry, stop stealing Nigeria money, provide electricity , good roads, and I will be the first to travel the world on my own money to broadcast about Nigeria to the whole world.

As the saying goes 'IF YOU PUT A LIPSTICK ON A PIG, IT IS TSILL A PIG'    sorry Mr. President this is 2009. You mr. president has a very bad health and you are still lying and you want people to start telling the truth, what kind of leadership is that. I called it VISIONLESS 2020.

YAR A'FAILURE  want to FOOL  the people by assuming they are FOOLISH
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by tpiah: 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2009
nuzo:

For sure, blind patriotic nigerians are bound to play down the achievements of the dude simply because of where he comes from.

Jiri = Take/handle
nwayo = easy.

gosh, I'm sure you see enemies in your own shadow. undecided

I didnt read through the write up yet- I only noticed the word fraudster in the title and the name he signed with at the bottom. Same way I scan 419 emails.Then I asked about it.

na wa for you. undecided
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by Nobody: 12:42am On Jun 24, 2009
tpiah:

gosh, I'm sure you see enemies in your own shadow. undecided

I didnt read through the write up yet- I only noticed the word fraudster in the title and the name he signed with at the bottom. Same way I scan 419 emails.Then I asked about it.

na wa for you. undecided

How did you know I was referring to you? . . . . . . . abi guilty conscience dey worry you ne? undecided
Stubborn woman like you. tongue
Re: Is This Self Praise Or What? by JOdinkonigbo: 3:32pm On Sep 26, 2012
This is for my friends who on several occasions have called my attention to this blog and what was published in the guardian newspaper. I have kept quiet over this but I think it is necessary, at this time, to publicly clarify what happened. After a successful completion of my doctoral program at Osgoode Hall Law School of York University (“Osgoode”), an ovation was given by the Dean of Osgoode regarding the time I spent doing the program. This information was circulated in the Nigerian-Canadian listserv. The Nigerian-Canadian News vol. 4, issue 6 of June 2009 (a widely read Nigerian-Canadian newspaper in Toronto area) carried a detailed report of the ovation. But what led to the present thread is that I received a call from one Femi who claimed to work for Guardian newspaper in Nigeria. He told me that Nigeria’s image has being so discredited and battered that they do not waste time in reporting any good news about Nigerians. He then told me to prepare my profile and attach a copy of the ovation so he could do a report on it. This I did. Unfortunately, the next thing I saw was a publication reported as a letter soliciting publicity. I was taken aback and completely surprised that this could happen. When I called him back, for about four times, to know why he failed to do the report he offered to do, he refused to take my calls. The next is that his line cannot be reached again. I sent a report of this unfortunate incident to Guardian, but could not hear anything from the organization. I decided to keep quiet and face the struggles of life. The latest incident to this is that someone has used the name of my nephew, Ancestor Micheal I. Odinkonigbo, to make unsavory comments in another blog with the intention to cause mischief in the family. I can only tell the person that s/he has misfired: as there is no problem between me and my nephew who has equally expressed shock at what mischief humans can conceive against their fellow human. Ikenna, you are my “odogwu” and will remain so forever. Also, the importance of Osgoode, Dalhousie, NLS (Nigerian Law School), and ESUT in my life and the lives of millions of others can never be belittled by any known or unknown persons. I therefore advise my friends and well-wishers to ignore whatever anyone with or without mask may decide to write here or in any other forum. Please, this is my first and last comment on this.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Will Festus Keyamo Be The New Gani? / South West Elastic Murder Chain / ₦600m Bakassi Fund Missing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.