Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,626 members, 7,889,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 08:12 PM

Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. (699 Views)

Lagos APC Members Fight Dirty Over Attempt To Impose Candidates For LG Polls / FG Earns N980bn From Taxes In Three Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by rapmike(m): 12:00pm On Jan 20, 2016
I wrote this in reaction to this thread written by someone

www.nairaland.com/2877481/nigerians-live-paradise-dont-even

Mr jayfolarin, you made some honest points that every Nigerian knows (even those who insulted you) but you seem not to understand the remote issues behind the reactions of Nigerians. Please patiently read this write-up before replying.

It is normal that in every country taxes are paid. This is not suppose to be different in Nigeria as well. However, it has not been pursued vigorously due to a couple of reasons: chief among them is the dependence on Oil exports.

However, everyone should realize that when a new system of generating revenue through imposing taxes is done, people will initially complain, almost anywhere in the world. Even if its not verbally made, the inner groans will make a testament to it as people adjust to the new tax. That is expected.

In Nigeria, we do have other issues which many people will talk about but I feel it boils down to two things: Lack of credibility and fear of giving a fair fight.
Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by rapmike(m): 12:39pm On Jan 20, 2016
Lack of credibility: many people may shout corruption but I believe corruption is multifaceted, hence the current description. Many Nigerians have watched monies that were suppose to develop this country find their way to private pockets. This has caused a serious apathy about the country, especially if you consider the plea bargaining issue and the 'rule of law', then you can understand why. You may state that Nigerians should make their leaders accountable, but I will relate a current situation to explain what is happening.

Obafemi Awolowo University recently resumed from a 'mid-semester break', if you follow what the university management called it because it was effectively a shutdown of school. What happened? Students made a largely peaceful protest ( I said largely peaceful because of some little acts of indiscretion from some union executives). What's the underlying issue? Students are looking for improvement in the welfare conditions in school and in case you think that we are just ignorantly asking, we are not. The school fees had been increased three years ago ( which caused protests) to almost 200 percent. Yet welfare conditions have remained static if not worse. Students protested (as one of the ways we can keep them on their toes). What did the management do? Shutdown the school and witch hunt certain students.

This is not the first time or the second this is happening in front of me. The management have found ways to blackmail students and do whatever it is with the increase in fees.

This is not a minority thing, that's how it happens in many parts and sectors in the country. People will always suppress the truth and oppress others in this country. You are asking why we are not willing to pay taxes and all that, ask our senators why they refuse to accept the reduction Buhari proposed. If we are to talk of credibility, we should start from them. Its possible that nothing good will come out of the money generated and if people push out to ask for accountability, they will find ways to neutralize it.

Please I will continue talking about it in the evening. I have a practical at the moment.
Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by T4taiwo(m): 1:05pm On Jan 20, 2016
Noted

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by rapmike(m): 2:35pm On Jan 20, 2016
The worst side of it is that Our Senate are still behaving like the oil sells for 200 dollars per barrel and then tacitly give consent to most of the corruption cases in the country. By now, you would have expected a morally sound senate to make at least a statement about the Dasukigate, but not even a thing. The most Nigerians can do is to use social media (since its almost sure that any protest about the expenditure of the executive and legislative arms of the government will be stopped by mobile police) and that may be taken from them via Social Media bill.

The second issue does not concern those in leadership but us down here: the masses.

When I was still young, I heard of the likes of Late Gani Fawehinmi( hope I got the name right), who relentlessly fought for the rights of the common man, even inspite of the difficulties they faced. My question is: what happened to those stock of people? Why is it that we just moan about issues without taking proactive actions to the issues?

I believe that its not until we start paying taxes before we make our leaders accountable. But we know what is killing us: we are too afraid of what may happen. We are too preoccupied with surviving that we can't even think of living.

For example if we decide to hold a protest in order to force our Senate to reduce their expenditure, we can. But everyone know that once they get wind of it, they will call 'our leaders' and influence them against it. The ones that stand resolute will either be locked up in prison or be killed. The rest of us 'followers' will now dispense and forget the fight because 'we need to live'. We are cowards, simple!

We always talk of the likes of South Africa, where they treat us like a plague. Let's be fair to them: do any of us know how much of their blood was lost due to apartheid? Do we know the sacrifices they made to sustain South Africa? We often mention our contributions, we forget their own contributions.

If someone decides to take the executives head on about their expenses, will we join in the fight? Will we storm the streets and the National Assembly in order to demand reason from them? I can categorically say no! Why? Because we will start consider our parents,families and the likes. We have often and are still abandoning this country to bleed to death. Even a good number of us who condemn the government don't have any solutions or contributions. Later we will start looking for who to blame for our woes.

Let's face it: the #50 tax is here to stay, at least for a while. Its up to us to really force our leaders to be accountable in all facets of the use of the money, so that it won't end like TISHIP and NHIS that most people would have forgotten by now.

Its only we Nigerians that can force development in the country. Let's not sit down and moan, but be proactive.
Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by kingphilip(m): 2:48pm On Jan 20, 2016
Some of the points are good and I approve much of it but this #50 issue is as useless as the p in psychology

Since it has a minimum of a thousand naira na bank tellers go suffer am because I go surely deposit my money in #500 no matter the amount involved

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by banki(m): 3:21pm On Jan 20, 2016
kingphilip:
Some of the points are good and I approve much of it but this #50 issue is as useless as the p in psychology

Since it has a minimum of a thousand naira na bank tellers go suffer am because I go surely deposit my money in #500 no matter the amount involved

This is not new it has always been there
Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by kingphilip(m): 3:45pm On Jan 20, 2016
banki:

This is not new it has always been there
but the implementation isn't in place before nw

So the reason why it's new
Re: Why Nigerians Fight Every Attempt To Raise Money Through Taxes. by rapmike(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2016
kingphilip:

Well, they had to try to raise money. Its so odd tho because people like students and those just into saving may be discouraged from saving.

(1) (Reply)

Where Was Pius Anyim Pius When Billions And Trillions Were Criss Crossing Hands? / Oby Ezekwesili: On Whose Side Is She Anyways? / Nigerians, Fear Not Of The Buhari Government — Deji Adeyanju

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.