Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,512 members, 7,971,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 06:39 PM

How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional (1334 Views)

Seni Saraki Graduates From London School Of Economics. Saraki & Wife Attend / 'Nigeria Lost One Trillion In 2016 Due To Hamid Ali's Incompetence':Dino Melaye / EFCC Arrests Saraki's Wife, Yar'adua's Daughter Over Corruption Allegation! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional by DaPhilosopher(m): 2:05pm On Jan 20, 2016
New research published in the Lancet shows that Nigeria has the highest rate of stillbirths in Africa. It’s a harrowing and traumatic experience and something which the Senate president’s wife, Toyin Saraki has gone through.

In a move to create awareness of the direct and indirect costs of stillbirths, Her Excellency Mrs. Toyin Saraki, Founder-President of the leading maternal health NGO – Wellbeing Foundation Africa, yesterday, 19th January 2016, spoke with the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) to call for improvements in health education and access to primary healthcare – key elements to reducing stillbirths around the world.
Speaking to BBC Focus On Africa Radio Correspondent Akwasi Sarpong, Mrs. Saraki shared her personal birth story while discussing how it inspired her efforts, through the Wellbeing Foundation Africa, to end stillbirths.
The Senate president’s wife who tragically lost one of her twins due to failures in the Nigerian public health care system, stated,

I was fighting for one life and bewildered how to mourn the other life…People did not know whether to congratulate or commiserate with me.

Sharing her story with the BBC, the WBFA Founder further stated,
stillbirths often go unrecorded, let alone lead to counselling. This is why I started the Wellbeing Foundation Africa, which works to improve reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health across the continent.

According to Mrs. Saraki, this experience informed her decision to co-author the third report in the Lancet,
Ending Preventable Stillbirths” Series launched on 19th January 2015, titled “Stillbirths: economic and psychosocial consequences.

In this report, Mrs. Saraki and WBFA provided a unique perspective on stillbirths in sub-Saharan Africa; sharing interventions such as the WBFA Personal Health Records, the Foundation’s emergency obstetric and newborn care training with Johnson & Johnson and the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, and their work on Respectful Maternity Care for new and expectant mothers.

Following this interview, Mrs. Saraki also participated in a short section for BBC Hausa and BBC Online where she shared what women should do during pregnancy to prevent stillbirths, sharing information on monitoring pregnancy and measures that can be taken to save newborns.
Listen to the interview on Sound Cloud BBC Focus Africa (Above). Her interview began at 13.00.

Source: http://vibes247.com/how-i-lost-one-of-my-twins-as-a-stillbirth-sarakis-wife-opens-up-in-emotional-bbc-interview/

Re: How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional by UrennaNkoli(f): 2:06pm On Jan 20, 2016
Does this woman deserve to be pitied?
Re: How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional by holmez(m): 2:07pm On Jan 20, 2016
hmmm...she probably wouldn't hv created d NGO if she had not experienced d tragedy herself.
Dasuki should take a cue frm this.
if Dasuki had lost a family, m sure he wnt hv mismanaged d funds meant for d fight against insurgency.
Re: How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 20, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional by ayandafatai: 3:10pm On Jan 20, 2016
It is only a good woman that can put in unwavering effort in seeing that others do not suffer what she has been through. Allah will surely reward your kind heart. Great job. smiley
Re: How I Lost One Of My Twins As A Stillbirth – Saraki’s Wife Opens Up In Emotional by saliukadri: 3:22pm On Jan 20, 2016
This woman is truly a selfless health champion. She didn't wallow in her predicament but took it upon herself to ensure total eradication of similar cases happening to others. She deserves to be honoured for such lovely act. She is beyond doubts a good role model to upcoming generations.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Gives Order To Reveal All Politicians With Questionable Assets In Dubai / Before Buhari Finally Destroys Nigeria / Breaking:Minister Of Agriculture & Rural Development Audu Ogbe's Mum Is Dead(Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.